Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Didn't the fat beardo get cloned by transporter in TNG

Yes but that was unrecreatable ~space magic~. You're allowed to do things that the standard tech can't when you invoke ~space magic~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Didn’t they make a transporter copy of Picard using old records when an alien took over his body and killed him or something stupid?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think alien possessed Picard beamed out as pure energy and they were able to reconstitute him by beaming him back while using a previous pattern as a template or something.

Then there's the 2 episodes where they make the transporter into a Fountain of Youth but it's never brought up again.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 6, 2020

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
in ds9 the transporter pattern of like 4 people took up all the computer memory of the entire station, requiring them to format the entire place. how the gently caress did the enterprise have a copy of picard

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

also they have biohazard quarantine things built into their transporter but people still die if viruses and poisons and stuff. dumb poo poo

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Enterprise had a pattern for his body, his mind was part of the energy beamed out, while the computer in DS9 had to format itself to make room for the crews minds while the patterns for their bodies were stored in the holosuite.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jsoh posted:

in ds9 the transporter pattern of like 4 people took up all the computer memory of the entire station, requiring them to format the entire place. how the gently caress did the enterprise have a copy of picard

ds9 funkin' blow, man

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I get the feeling DS9 probably had way less storage capacity than the Enterprise-D. It’s like Starfleet inherited a dusty basement with an old Dell running Windows 98.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The Enterprise had a pattern for his body, his mind was part of the energy beamed out, while the computer in DS9 had to format itself to make room for the crews minds while the patterns for their bodies were stored in the holosuite.

I like to imagine it didn't store them so much as just materialise them and parade them around as creepy meat puppets. Really adds something extra to the episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jsoh posted:

also they have biohazard quarantine things built into their transporter but people still die if viruses and poisons and stuff. dumb poo poo

The biofilter can only work on known diseases, or diseases that are close enough to known diseases. Totally new stuff gets by it. It's not perfect.

That being said there was an episode where someone had a cold and I was like "Why are you not just doing a pad to pad transport to cure your cold immediately?!?"

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The biofilter can only work on known diseases, or diseases that are close enough to known diseases. Totally new stuff gets by it. It's not perfect.

That being said there was an episode where someone had a cold and I was like "Why are you not just doing a pad to pad transport to cure your cold immediately?!?"

im thinking of the tng episode where like, fuckin the king of the klingons knew he was poisoned and probably what the poison was and died of it anyway

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jsoh posted:

im thinking of the tng episode where like, fuckin the king of the klingons knew he was poisoned and probably what the poison was and died of it anyway

The biofilter filters biological components like viruses or microorganisms. Most poisons are not those, but chemical compounds.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How hard is it to just fake a guy in holosuite and just make him break loose like countless times before, nobody will ever tell the difference!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Also to the voyager watcher itt captain photon episodes are the reason why voyager is in the top 3

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bride of Chaotica!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

jsoh posted:

IIRC, he was poisoned with something that was radioactive. I wonder if the transporters can cure radiation poisoning.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, radiation poisoning is the damage caused to tissue from radiation. Even if they can filter out the radioactive elements themselves, the damage has been done and needs to be fixed by some other means.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Can't u just replicate a new body and have a funny forehead alien do a magic ritual to move the spirit? I think you might even have a choice of several different funny forehead holistic approaches to pick :confused:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I mean, radiation poisoning is the damage caused to tissue from radiation. Even if they can filter out the radioactive elements themselves, the damage has been done and needs to be fixed by some other means.

May I suggest a soft blue light coming from a handheld thingy?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Endless Trash posted:

May I suggest a soft blue light coming from a handheld thingy?

The future is now

https://youtu.be/bre0yltBODU

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Perhaps you would like a soothing analgesic salve?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I return the device, now covered in blood, with a note saying it took way too long to heal my chimp mauling wounds and that I would appreciate a refund or store credit

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

CainFortea posted:

Bride of Chaotica!

This has a surprisingly low user score on IMDB, I have fond memories of it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

womb with a view posted:

Oh god wait so do Tuvok and Neelix both have memories of being Tuvix? Do they know what Janeway did? Do they remember protesting for their collective life? Does Neelix now know everything about Tuvok because his brain was in the same jar and vice versa??

I mean,

even if they were able to completely separate out which past memories were Tuvoks and which were Neelixs, they should both have memories of their time asTuvix.

However, if they were capable of separating out a merged mind like that, I am sure they could just wipe any memory of the whole thing and everyone pretends none of it ever happened.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

jsoh posted:

cause the station is a cardassian mining rig/day spa not the Big D (which became self aware at one point)

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 6, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Torquemada posted:

This has a surprisingly low user score on IMDB, I have fond memories of it.

That's because IMDB users are up their own rear end about "cinema". I mean, Vampires has a 6.2. Escape from L.A. has 5.8.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Hello thread. I think im finally drunk enough to post in the ST thread again. I'm not sure when I last posted but I think it was either the end of TNG or sometime douring DS9.
Either way despite ds9 feeling kind of different it grew on me more than tng did. Some of the episodes I watched with my brother got him engaged as well(GOWRON).
Both series were great to leave on as background noise for the slower episodes while the story heavy ones were REALLY good.
After ds9 ended I decided to try OG trek which as dated as it might seem. I did see how it caught the imaginations of millions of people.
Now im up to the animated series and telling myself im not going to go any further than that.
Except I watched Picard as it aired and holy loving poo poo was it bad. Dont ever watch picard, please

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RocketSurgeon posted:

Hello thread. I think im finally drunk enough to post in the ST thread again. I'm not sure when I last posted but I think it was either the end of TNG or sometime douring DS9.
Either way despite ds9 feeling kind of different it grew on me more than tng did. Some of the episodes I watched with my brother got him engaged as well(GOWRON).
Both series were great to leave on as background noise for the slower episodes while the story heavy ones were REALLY good.
After ds9 ended I decided to try OG trek which as dated as it might seem. I did see how it caught the imaginations of millions of people.
Now im up to the animated series and telling myself im not going to go any further than that.
Except I watched Picard as it aired and holy loving poo poo was it bad. Dont ever watch picard, please

You should put Lower Decks in there somewhere.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

CainFortea posted:

That's because IMDB users are up their own rear end about "cinema". I mean, Vampires has a 6.2. Escape from L.A. has 5.8.

My memories of those two movies are James Woods repeatedly calling a priest a human being, and bad cgi surfing, so those scores are generous imo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Vampires had cool action scenes but goddamn did they make the head vampire hunting guy unsympathetic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

He's not a good guy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Torquemada posted:

My memories of those two movies are James Woods repeatedly calling a priest a human being, and bad cgi surfing, so those scores are generous imo.

bad cgi LAVA surfing, even

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The ending rules though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CainFortea posted:

I'm doing a full Trek rewatch so when I get there i'll look into this.

Also, i'd like to point out that transporter patterns are too large to keep copies of. Also reading of the pattern destroys it in the buffer. Tuvix gets separated by radio tagging genomes (which is a particularly hand wavey woo woo way of doing it).

The truth is they just put some weak-rear end DRM on the transporter to prevent duplicates, because Picard would spend like forty-five minutes speechifying about what it means to be human every time someone used it to clone themselves

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Yall were right about the ENT series finale. What a turd crown on an otherwise very enjoyable season of trek.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Building up an entire series finale on getting to hear the speech that first united the Federation, only to cut to credits the moment Archer reaches the podium?

That takes serious balls.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Endless Trash posted:

Building up an entire series finale on getting to hear the speech that first united the Federation, only to cut to credits the moment Archer reaches the podium?

That takes serious balls.

I mean, do you really expect any writers to manage to do such an event justice?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't forget "let's kill a main character for ~DRAMA!~"

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, do you really expect any writers to manage to do such an event justice?

In 2005? Yeah I probably still had expectations for things back then, like an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget "let's kill a main character for ~DRAMA!~"

They built it up only for him to die in a wet fart.