Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The opioid epidemic is a pretty serious problem but that poo poo should be getting funded regardless of the health care bill. Them using it as a bribe is insanely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
They're like fly by night criminal defense attorneys who lure people in with impossible promises about case resolution that were never going to pan out. Then eventually the promise comes due when they're up before judge and jury and the client gets hosed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KillHour posted:

Weird. I guess I just haven't happened to run into arugula outside the US. That's a... strange name for an edible leaf.

raging bullwinkle posted:

In Australia it's rocket.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why is there never any fight to secure 45 billion to help fight the crack epidemic?

Oh, right.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

huh. Sure sounds like threatening to dismantle Alaska in retaliation for not voting on a piece of poo poo horrible bill is working very well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is there never any fight to secure 45 billion to help fight the crack epidemic?

Oh, right.

What are you talking about, the American prison system is very well funded.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cochise posted:

Countdown to Trump hitting a hole in one on every hole and never having to poo poo.

Trump John Don was born during an eclipse on the sacred peak of Mount Elbert, the highest point in the only true mountain range in North America. He also invented the hamburger after it came to him in a dream. His mighty yell made all homosexuals disappear.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh, right.

Sure there are, for-profit prisons are the answer!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
https://twitter.com/kasie/status/890606495737405442

:lol:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh, right.

If Republicans could be sure black people couldn't use it, they'd enact single payer healthcare today.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol:

They are sooooooo bad at this

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Haha. Oops.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Casey Finnigan posted:

huh. Sure sounds like threatening to dismantle Alaska in retaliation for not voting on a piece of poo poo horrible bill is working very well.

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/890606495737405442

Murkowski chairs the committee that approves Interior appointees.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

I don't understand this, can someone clarify?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

I'm very sad to discover that I've apparently been blocked by Vic on Twitter :( Not sure how that happened, I'm a huge fan of his.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Enigma89 posted:

Trump had the Sec of Interior threaten Murkowski on his behalf. It seems to be backfiring real bad.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Enigma89 posted:

He threatened funding for the state of Alaska because Murkoswski didn't play ball on snatching health care from 15+ million people.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

Zinke called Murkowski at the request of Trump to threaten her over the health care bill. She controls the purse strings for Zinke's department as well as confirmation of nominees for that department.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

murkowski is pissed off and has the ability to hurt the people she is pissed off at

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know this will just be a couple of jobs, but I like to think of it turning into an all transgender police force and now I want to watch that season of The Wire.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

B B posted:

Zinke called Murkowski at the request of Trump to threaten her over the health care bill. She controls the purse strings for Zinke's department as well as confirmation of nominees for that department.

She's going to threaten to fund them well above their requested levels.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's worth pointing out that Interior basically threatened to start caring about Alaska's environment more than business/extraction interests, which makes this whole thing even more hosed up and hilarious.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Bernie riding the parliamentarians rear end.

https://twitter.com/patcaldwell/status/890608380586237952

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good on you Murkowski

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the fun thing about byrd bath is no matter what its etymology is the response still ends up being "christ, what loving nerds"

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/890607726731997184

JUST gently caress ALREADY.

Phoix posted:

Sanders seems to be riding point on the Byrd rule here, he's brought it up a few times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phoix posted:

Is this vote-destroying news, or just a hiccup?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

Trump had Zinke, Sec of the Interior Dept, threaten Alaska's Senator Murkowski over her votes against the healthcare bills. The Interior Dept administers huge amounts of Alaska and could actually gently caress AK over badly... except Murkowski chairs the committee that controls Interior's budget and appointee confirmations. So she delayed confirmation hearings for a bunch of Zinke's appointments.

Basically, Trump admin continues to be hilariously incompetent and their threats are backfiring with Murkowski having the power to say "no, gently caress YOU"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It looks like all this time, all we needed in the Senate was someone who was an expert on Byrd law.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

business hammocks posted:

I think this wasn't part of the skinny repeal anyway, although I guess it prevents them from offering it to holdouts?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

business hammocks posted:

At most just another rule McConnell will ignore.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Can military leaders say "we disagree and will not ban transgender population from being in military?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Can military leaders say "we disagree and will not ban transgender population from being in military?

No.

They can however force Trump to go through all the myriad, byzantine channels to do this which he's almost certainly incapable of doing.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/stephenfhayes/status/890602594778750976

quote:

The dismissal of this leading policy adviser to the president comes amid intensifying speculation about a coming broad White House shakeup and open rhetorical warfare among the president and several top advisers. Two sources tell TWS that Harvey’s departure is not a direct result of the internecine staff fighting, but he was viewed by some top Trump aides as too close to Steve Bannon.

Harvey holds hawkish views on the threat from Iran and global jihadism, but he does not share Bannon’s non-interventionist views. Harvey was a strong, behind-the-scenes advocate of Trump’s decision to strike Syria in response to Bashar al Assad’s use of chemical weapons and he was driving a more aggressive approach to Iran than that of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Secretary of Defense James Mattis. Sources tell TWS that Mattis, in particular, had disagreements with Harvey and that he raised the issue with National Security Adviser HR McMaster. McMaster met with Harvey this morning to deliver the news.

“General McMaster greatly appreciates Derek Harvey’s service to his country as a career Army officer, where he served his country bravely in the field and played a crucial role in the successful surge in Iraq, and also for his service on Capitol Hill and in the Trump administration,” says NSC spokesman Michael Anton. “The administration is working with Colonel Harvey to identify positions in which his background and expertise can be best utilized.”

Top Trump-ologists in the IC are studying this move to decipher what it means for future tweets.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Pellisworth posted:

Trump had Zinke, Sec of the Interior Dept, threaten Alaska's Senator Murkowski over her votes against the healthcare bills. The Interior Dept administers huge amounts of Alaska and could actually gently caress AK over badly... except Murkowski chairs the committee that controls Interior's budget and appointee confirmations. So she delayed confirmation hearings for a bunch of Zinke's appointments.

Basically, Trump admin continues to be hilariously incompetent and their threats are backfiring with Murkowski having the power to say "no, gently caress YOU"

Thanks

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

No.

They can however force Trump to go through all the myriad, byzantine channels to do this which he's almost certainly incapable of doing.

Specifically, the Pentagon is saying they won't act until they get implementation guidance through SecDef (Mattis), and Mattis is both on vacation and has been a strong supporter of letting transgendered soldiers serve.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/stephenfhayes/status/890602594778750976

Top Trump-ologists in the IC are studying this move to decipher what it means for future tweets.

Fired for being too close to Bannon? Sounds good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Kind of?

Transgender Service Members Can Stay in the Military for Now, Pentagon Official Says
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/politics/transgender-military-trump-ban.html

It's more like they need actual, specific commands to implement, and there's been no suggestion that they'll get them.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I hate that, as an ex-infantry pacifist who despises the military industrial complex, I'm now defending the rights of trans people to enlist.

On the one hand I'm reminded of that twitter comment along the lines o:

quote:

Conservatives: We need to imprison all the Muslims!
Liberals: Hire more women guards!

On the other hand, gently caress discrimination and the example this sets about scapegoating vulnerable demographics. Holy poo poo.

This must be what real, honest-to-god cognitive dissonance feels like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Transgender Service Members Can Stay in the Military for Now, Pentagon Official Says https://nyti.ms/2tN16H1

Edit: Dammit too slow

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread