Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Call them and tell them the bill isn't evil enough. Especially Cruz.

I've tried to get a sit down with Cruz by pretending to be a concerned, good ol boy small business owner who's livelihood is threatened by the constricting grasp of stifling EPA regulations but no dice so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Neil Stephenson and his wacky character names!

Lets hope this means McConnell's effort to pass Healthcare ends abruptly in a mess of loose ends.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What exactly is the Byrd Rule everyone is talking about?

to make a long, boring story short: some types of laws you can't pass through reconciliation, and the byrd rule is the rule that says what you can and can't pass unless you have 60 votes

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Blitz7x posted:

I've tried to get a sit down with Cruz by pretending to be a concerned, good ol boy small business owner who's livelihood is threatened by the constricting grasp of stifling EPA regulations but no dice so far

Dress up like a black hole guy if you do get the meeting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

What exactly is the Byrd Rule everyone is talking about?

Part of the reconciliation process- it's a requirement that the contents of the bill must be related to the budget. You can't just throw in whatever random law changes you want; if you do the bill can be filibustered. The Senate Parliamentarian is the authority on what does or does not violate the Byrd rule and so is effectively responsible for deciding whether the bill needs 50 votes (dangerously attainable) or 60 votes (absolutely unattainable) to pass.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it turns out cornyn's inability to keep his private thoughts to himself about the house just passing skinny repeal is causing problems:

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/890619603365249025

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The thing to keep in mind with the Byrd rule is it isn't self enforcing, a Senator has to raise it as a point at the proper time or it remains a majority threshold.

evilweasel posted:

it turns out cornyn's inability to keep his private thoughts to himself about the house just passing skinny repeal is causing problems:

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/890619603365249025

Gee if you can't trust your own leadership who can you trust?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well I was wrong, kinda because I didn't expect the secretary of the interior to threaten a person that has real power over him. Hope Murkowski holds on this.

I can't imagine there will be much pressure in the senate for her to relent. Trump and co really crossed a line with that threat and everyone in the senate knows that Trump could wake up tomorrow and decide to try the same sort of thing with their state.

The whole situation is hilarious. It reminds me of those stories of people stealing a parking spot from a driver only to walk into their job interview and see that person on the other side of the desk.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

farraday posted:

The thing to keep in mind with the Byrd rule is it isn't self enforcing, a Senator has to raise it as a point at the proper time or it remains a majority threshold.

Which Bernie is doing on the dot.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Shouldn't Zinke know about the hierarchy of the committees that oversee the department he runs?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Shouldn't Zinke know about the hierarchy of the committees that oversee the department he runs?

Republicans choose their leaders based on how competent they are

But not the way you think they should

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

haveblue posted:

Part of the reconciliation process- it's a requirement that the contents of the bill must be related to the budget. You can't just throw in whatever random law changes you want; if you do the bill can be filibustered. The Senate Parliamentarian is the authority on what does or does not violate the Byrd rule and so is effectively responsible for deciding whether the bill needs 50 votes (dangerously attainable) or 60 votes (absolutely unattainable) to pass.

Who is the Senate Parliamentarian an actual senator or some appointed guy?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

:smugdon: Drain the Swamp!

He was likely told to make the call and he isn't independent enough to disobey.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Punkbob posted:

Like seriously I was being a shithead with a pompous post, but Al’s argument is that he has friends at state(so do I) and that:

Chelsea Manning releases cables
Tunisia starts Arab Spring
Libya gets a round of discontent
US intervenes as well as most of NATO
US sends diplomatic representatives to Libya
They go to Benghazi to talk to a local warlord
Two get killed in a terrorist attack in an unstable area of an unstable country

Like is he implying the Arab spring is bad, and also that Chelsea manning single handily caused it/overthrew ghaddafi?

I've forgiven her for killing Vilerat and you should too

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The Senate parliamentarian is an ent.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Cause tax write-off?

because our stock is worth 1043 a share

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Who is the Senate Parliamentarian an actual senator or some appointed guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_MacDonough

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you're worried about the Senate parliamentarian being partisan, just keep in mind that Ted Cruz desperately wanted to fire her.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bicyclops posted:

If you're worried about the Senate parliamentarian being partisan, just keep in mind that Ted Cruz desperately wanted to fire her.

and that she killed the repeal in 2015

quote:

During the 2015 congressional effort to partially repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), MacDonough ruled the provision that would roll back the Independent Payment Advisory Board disqualified the 2015 package from consideration as a reconciliation bill in the Senate under the Byrd Rule, which requires that reconciliation bills must have a budgetary effect. Rather than the simple, filibuster-free 51-vote majority required to pass a reconciliation bill, the 2015 package would require a 60-vote threshold to pass in the Senate, which effectively killed the legislation in the Senate, as Republicans did not hold the requisite votes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Although, reading that wikipedia article, it appears that the official rulings are actually made by the President of the Senate, so unless I'm wrong, I think Pence can just say "gently caress your Byrd rule. Calvinball, assholes!" at the end of the day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

and that she killed the repeal in 2015

she killed a part of the repeal then; they axed that section and then obama vetoed what they could pass

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/890626384824983553

Who wants to kick a football?

Edit:
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890628533776666624

Who wants to kick two footballs?

farraday fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 27, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'll believe McCain when he loving votes against it and not a moment before.

This is exactly his M.O. "Oh this bill is so awful!" and then votes yes anyway.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bicyclops posted:

Although, reading that wikipedia article, it appears that the official rulings are actually made by the President of the Senate, so unless I'm wrong, I think Pence can just say "gently caress your Byrd rule. Calvinball, assholes!" at the end of the day.

Yeah, the Parliamentarian's word is not law, she's just an advisor, but the Parliamentarian hasn't been overruled in decades. If they take that norm out behind the barn and shoot it, then yes they can do that, and then at least we can disregard the Parliamentarian again when she says the Eat the Rich Act of 2025 can't be passed without 60 votes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the Parliamentarian hasn't been overruled since 1975, which is one year after the Byrd rule was created.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/890628402616651776

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/890629048199766016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

when would she be doing that in the first place?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh:

https://twitter.com/Alexruoff/status/890628695915773952

come on parliamentarian, it's time to end this

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

when would she be doing that in the first place?

Now ish? It'll be a wonky debate and he could just come out of it with his own skinny Graham Cassidy.

Them and most Americans.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I dunno, they could consider voting against it. But maybe that's too radical for The Maverick.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The day McCain actually follows up on what he says is the day we know his brain finally farts itself to death.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsuu4L5T1QY

https://thinkprogress.org/scaramucci-cnn-meltdown-39c64badff56

quote:

Anthony Scaramucci, Trump’s new communications director, just called into CNN and had a meltdown
Scaramucci declares war on the White House Chief of Staff.

Anthony Scaramucci was named White House Communications Director six days ago. This morning, he called into Chris Cuomo’s CNN show and completely melted down.
The situation started last night when Scaramucci became enraged that his financial disclosure form, which is a public document, was “leaked” to Politico. He tweeted that he would contact the FBI because the disclosure of the form was “a felony.” (It’s not.)
Notably, Scaramucci’s tweet included the Twitter handle of White House Chief of Staff Reince Preibus, which appeared to blame Preibus for the “leak.”

New Yorker reporter Ryan Lizza then confirmed that Scaramucci was, in fact, calling for an FBI investigation of the White House Chief of Staff.

Lizza called into CNN this morning to discuss his reporting. In a bizarre turn of events, in the middle of Lizza’s interview, Scaramucci also called into the show.
Scaramucci said that he and Trump had a message to deliver. That message was “we have a very, very good idea of who the leakers are, who the senior leakers are in the White House.” He described some of the leaks as “so treasonous that 150 years ago people would have been hung.”
He described the leak of his dinner last night with Sean Hannity as “totally reprehensible.” (He had called Lizza last night to try to get him to reveal the leaker of his dinner date. Lizza refused.)
It soon became clear that Scaramucci was, in fact, pinning the blame on Reince Preibus. “The fish stinks from the head,” Scaramucci said, “If Reince wants to explain he’s not a leaker, let him do that.”

Scaramucci previously described Preibus as “his brother.” On CNN, he clarified that they were brothers like “Cain and Abel.” Cain murdered Abel.
“I don’t know if the relationship with Reince is reparable…that’s up to the President,” Scaramucci said.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah maybe he's not a yes. He hasn't said he's a no either

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/890628311260446720

Jesus.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

evilweasel posted:

oh:

come on parliamentarian, it's time to end this
What exactly is Graham-Cassidy and is it likely to be reconciliation-compliant?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If they can't pass skinny repeal without Paul Ryan slicing his forearm and swearing a blood oath to not bring it to the house floor without a conference committee, then the Senate can't actually pass anything without deluding themselves into believing the bill will be magically made better when its off the Senate floor.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Keeps Obamacare taxes but turns them into block grants for the states to use as they wish.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm guessing this will give them more financial breathing room for the bill via a reduction in the number of employers deducting their contribution costs.

Is that likely a reason for doing it?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Keeps Obamacare's extra taxes. It might be, but probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think what Scaramuchi can give Trump his other advisors can't, is a guarantee he will never, ever even ask Trump to reconsider something. He'll offer advice if asked, but will never offer alternatives if Trump already made a decision.

• Locked thread