Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

This thing with the Job That Was Promised is very much taking me back - mentally - to the days of online dating.

"He hasn't messaged me back! IT'S ALL OVER. I AM RUINED. I WILL NEVER FIND LOVE."

The job was meant to get posted on the 5th, according to his timeline anyway. I've just emailed him "I've been keeping an eye out for the posting, and just want to be sure I don't miss anything. Should I expect to see it on the careers page on the website?"

Since I haven't received an immediate response I just assume it's not happening, because that's how things work, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Is it pretty standard for “start ups” to not have their poo poo together (primarily technically), make all kinds of promises and hype around that, and be ran by micromanaging founders that don’t want ( technical) help?

Also despite words that culture is important, been a week now of people walking past the corpse of a baby bird that fell out of its nest, not a great sign.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I am not certain this company can be considered a start up. They're at least 20 years old and provide a specific set of services to several hundred companies (I used to administer their CRM from a consultancy).

But I've come to understand 'start up' doesn't necessarily refer to age.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tnuctip posted:

Is it pretty standard for “start ups” to not have their poo poo together (primarily technically), make all kinds of promises and hype around that, and be ran by micromanaging founders that don’t want ( technical) help?

Also despite words that culture is important, been a week now of people walking past the corpse of a baby bird that fell out of its nest, not a great sign.

good startup metaphor

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tnuctip posted:

Last place I worked was ten years old with at least seven years of actually doing business but still called itself "a startup". Feels like that's exactly the kind of culture it'd have.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This is the definition of a startup, full stop:

quote:

A startup is a company designed to grow fast.

https://www.paulgraham.com/growth.html

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I could report people under “cannot parse that an email asks them to do two things, not just one”.

It was two separate lines, each had an actionable item, the whole thing was less than 50 words. Their “urgent matter” is now delayed over a day because of this.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm not gonna lie, I've done that intentionally before, usually when that person's being a pain in my rear end and I need plausible deniability to avoid a question I don't want to answer.

I get far better results sending two emails for two action items. Ideally two entirely different email threads.

I have strong email strategy opinions don't get me started.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Let me clarify that this annoys me personally but I have absolutely no stake in the matter getting resolved, the person not answering is the only one affected by the delay and them not answering basically gets me off the hook.

IMO it’s project manager brain, especially with younger people, just completely used to checking stuff off lists and trackers.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

dpkg chopra posted:

IMO it’s project manager brain, especially with younger people, just completely used to checking stuff off lists and trackers.

I haven't even had luck breaking it up into two different emails. Gotta wait for the first question to get answered, then ask the second. People are like loving fish now. By the time they finish reading the second sentence, the first has disappeared from memory.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

I really wish I could report people under “cannot parse that an email asks them to do two things, not just one”.

It was two separate lines, each had an actionable item, the whole thing was less than 50 words. Their “urgent matter” is now delayed over a day because of this.

I work with a lot of people like this in the military. You can make it even more clear by (literally) enumerating their action items using a numbered list. Each list item should only contain the action they need to take (i.e. do not include justifications or explanations, those go elsewhere)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have found dealing with subordinates 1000% better if I eliminate words like “probably” or “it would be a good idea to”, like I used to do when I was senior but not an official report. Just telling people exactly what they should be doing with no ambiguity is so much less stress for both parties!

Except that one guy who gets all lovely with me no matter what I tell him to do. Fuuuck

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Who is going on a PIP (which will be the kind of PIP that's just a Formal Notice of Intent to Terminate) like tomorrow, right?

I don't honestly remember the details from way back like 5 days ago but I think you said something about a "pre-PIP"?

One of the most crucial things I really needed to internalize as a manager is that if a person just makes themselves consistently lovely to interact with then their rear end needs to be fired a week ago, even if they're a high performer. Though many of those types are not nearly as high performing as they think they are.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

One of the most crucial things I really needed to internalize as a manager is that if a person just makes themselves consistently lovely to interact with then their rear end needs to be fired a week ago, even if they're a high performer. Though many of those types are not nearly as high performing as they think they are.

How do we condense this to a thread title?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
"Two entirely separate emails with distinct subject lines" has usually worked for me so far.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

"Two entirely separate emails with distinct subject lines" has usually worked for me so far.

I've honestly not had that experience, especially in Gmail environments where the threading is so aggressive that people only look at the last email. To the point where standard practice is to requote anything not answered in the body of the latest email because people will just not look at previous messages in the thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think the phrasing I read a year back was “fire your Ricks”.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Motronic posted:

"fire neg empl even hi perf who overest self" (48 characters)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who is going on a PIP (which will be the kind of PIP that's just a Formal Notice of Intent to Terminate) like tomorrow, right?

I don't honestly remember the details from way back like 5 days ago but I think you said something about a "pre-PIP"?

Yeah my manager had asked me to keep a record of his shittiness which is mostly just “gave some attitude when asked to change tack on tests”. Like I get it, it’s annoying because we are reacting to exterior forces out of our control (a lot coming from customers) but I’m not loving with you personally when I ask you to change what I asked you to do a few hours ago!!

Dude would in no way be considered a high performer and I had assigned him to do mostly low impact stuff just to keep him outta my hair but it was an all hands on deck thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

priznat posted:

I had assigned him to do mostly low impact stuff just to keep him outta my hair.

You probably already know this and just have your hands tied by your chain of command, but just in case not and also for the benefit of any impressionable young managers who might be reading the thread: this is the Wrong Thing. Just fire him.

Keeping a person like this on your team in any capacity is bad for the rest of the team and bad for you.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Motronic posted:

A strict no-assholes hiring rule*

The problem is that the asterisk would exempt anyone in sales, C-suite, high-level AI/ML development, and who knows how many other positions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trabant posted:

A strict no-assholes hiring rule*
The place before last had that rule. And I invoked it after they hired a new tech lead. The owners disagreed. So they lost their entire pentesting team in the end.

Including the rear end in a top hat I told them about, who left after six months to start his own company :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Keeping a person like this on your team in any capacity is bad for the rest of the team and bad for you.

It's bad for the team because the team is not stupid and can see that the useless person is useless but isn't being fired or disciplined, so why should the rest of the team ever step up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

You probably already know this and just have your hands tied by your chain of command, but just in case not and also for the benefit of any impressionable young managers who might be reading the thread: this is the Wrong Thing. Just fire him.

Yeah. I think it is just we are in an endless firefighting mode right now but the end is in sight once the product hits GA.

It’s funny because you get these bursts of good helpful behaviour and then all of a sudden ah nope being a shithead again!!

If it was up to me he would not have gotten out of probation. I think my manager just has too much on his plate really.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Because most of us work with other people, if you are lovely to deal with you are by definition not a high performer. At best you’re mediocre, because you are good at parts of your job but terrible at a very important part.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

CarForumPoster posted:

This is the definition of a startup, full stop:

https://www.paulgraham.com/growth.html

Good read thank you. As someone that made a successful company (obviously not mine) and been in that world, do you agree with the tone of the article, or is that just a widely accepted definition?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unless you're my company and you need to keep bad people on the team to balance out the good people at performance review time. We're required to give reviews on a bell curve, so if we have 2 above average performers, we must have 2 below average performers to balance it out financially. The 2 above average folks will get above average raises, so finance is like "you gotta have 2 lovely people to give lower raises to or our budgets will be wrong."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hi chatGPT please repurpose this hit da bricks meme to be about crappy reports

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

Sure, here's a repurposed version of the "Hit Da Bricks" meme for crappy reports:

[Image of a person pointing sternly]

Text: "When your boss hands you back that report you thought was gold..."

[Image of a poorly constructed report being thrown in the trash]

Text: "Time to hit the bricks and start over!"

try again

quote:

Absolutely, let's give it another shot:

[Image of someone looking exasperated]

Text: "When you spend hours on a report only for it to be as useful as a screen door on a submarine..."

[Image of a broken brick wall]

Text: "Guess it's time for that report to hit the bricks!"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Unless you're my company and you need to keep bad people on the team to balance out the good people at performance review time. We're required to give reviews on a bell curve, so if we have 2 above average performers, we must have 2 below average performers to balance it out financially. The 2 above average folks will get above average raises, so finance is like "you gotta have 2 lovely people to give lower raises to or our budgets will be wrong."

:wrong: Stack ranking is only ever good and has no perverse-incentive effects whatsoever what are you even talking about.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We used to call those guys the sacrificial goats (at another company) I wonder now that I am kinda almost management if I get to find out that’s actually real!

I would like this guy to get assigned under someone else so I can find out if it’s just me and I’m crazy or have confirmation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

:wrong: Stack ranking is only ever good and has no perverse-incentive effects whatsoever what are you even talking about.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

remigious posted:

My husband is a snorter and it disgusts me to my very core.

the hell does this mean tho

*flares nostrils*

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I'm imagining some middle manager being a 'goat farmer'.

In charge of a skill-insensitive process, just continuously hiring assholes to get the bare minimum done and gaining favours from other managers by transferring them to other people's teams ahead of ranking season.

Anytime top management start making noises about firing the farmer for poor process performance, every other manager at his level closing ranks in defence.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Atopian posted:

I'm imagining some middle manager being a 'goat farmer'.

Huh, back when I was starting out, I had the problem of needing to rank a couple of my team "underperformers" even though I'd already had to cut half (Lucent melting away like an icecube on a stove). So everyone left was really drat good, and this was just going to be an absolute morale killer. Another manager was like "I got more shitheads to rank low than I need, we'll tell the big boss we're pooling our headcount and you can rank all your folks decently".

And I owed him big time after that! Hmmm.... so crafty.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Maybe there are goats out there working as seasonal laborers, migrating from company to company as financial years end.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

HiroProtagonist posted:

the hell does this mean tho

*flares nostrils*

It means he makes a noise like papa peppa pig and sucks snot down his throat instead of blowing his goddamn nose.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tomfoolery posted:

Maybe there are goats out there working as seasonal laborers, migrating from company to company as financial years end.

Been fired three times this season, hoss. Be a nice even number this friday, god willing and the reviews come in.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Motronic posted:

If he's lovely and an rear end in a top hat, PIP his rear end. Sung by Barney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.