Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... huh, her talking about amplifying and harness her powers further and her being able to manipulate "simple minds" to her bidding on the same page is sending up MASSIVE red flags. I was going to say "Of course she wants to push the boundaries of the technology, she can see the results of what happen ahead of time", but then I re-read the comic and... uh...

So... who's been manipulated by her? Has she been controlling someone this entire time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Probably that guy, for a start

She looks a little like Kat's mom in the last panel?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Randalor posted:

... huh, her talking about amplifying and harness her powers further and her being able to manipulate "simple minds" to her bidding on the same page is sending up MASSIVE red flags. I was going to say "Of course she wants to push the boundaries of the technology, she can see the results of what happen ahead of time", but then I re-read the comic and... uh...

So... who's been manipulated by her? Has she been controlling someone this entire time?

same, the language she uses is pretty sus

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I wonder if omega was going all pouty face in the previous chapter because the numans weren't responsive to her manipulations?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Randalor posted:

Those are far too interesting ideas for this comic

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Those are far too interesting ideas for this comic
The court as a tool for Omega instead of the other way around would be amazing.

...oh poo poo. Her whole (unnaturally extended?) life has been a torturous flood of information caused by the ether. The court is about to jump ship to somewhere where there's no ether, taking Omega with them. Also the jump erases all knowledge of the people that jump.

Please tell me that's the endgame twist here.

If they'd spent the whole time calling her "the seed bismuth" instead of "Omega" I'd be triply hype.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, she looks significantly older now. So who wants to bet that Annie is going to be the one blamed for her predictions becoming less accurate?

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

The predictor is predicting that the predictions will be less accurate. This feels like a paradox. The more I think about it, "an... event" and "a girl" have to refer to the stable time loop of the tic-tocs and Kat. Annie existing or not would be a symptom of those, not the cause of the inaccuracy of the predictions.

Assuming that Omega has perfect knowledge of the past and present, and can use that knowledge to extrapolate, one way she could both know that her predictions would lose accuracy and not be able to compensate with her knowledge would be if there was an event that was highly chaotic in the mathematical sense: minute changes to the starting conditions cause very large changes at later times. But a stable time loop seems like it should be self-reinforcing, so that actually doesn't make sense.

This is hard to wrap my head around, and not in a good way. More like when the Arbiter and the Sumerian god-thing shows up and the comic descends into incomprehensible legalistic metaphysics and I check out until they leave.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Oh just caught that the machinery is directly attached to her now.

I don't have time to find it, but I'm curious how similar it looks to Zimmy's graphical representation of being tuned to the ether (when Jones describes it to Annie).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The machinery is starting to look like wings in that last panel.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This has honestly been an astonishingly good chapter so far. The new art style combined with actual very important plot development feels like I'm reading a different comic, but in a good way. I guess Tom should wrap up GC as fast and sloppily as possible so he can start something new and fresh.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I’m having fun with it so far. One small complaint is that the Court’s utter disinterest and detachment with Annie and Kat feels weird in retrospect if the whole inner circle knew they were going to be messing with causality

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Randalor posted:

Well, she looks significantly older now. So who wants to bet that Annie is going to be the one blamed for her predictions becoming less accurate?

Yeah, but too straightforward, it has to be her getting blamed for something out of her control.

Kat making the tic-tocs to go through time to save Annie? That messed up time and Omega's predictions became unstable.

"Why did you have to go and need saving and screw everything up Annie? It is all your fault that our prediction thing you knew basically nothing about doesn't work quite as well now. You should have saved us the inconvenience and just died."

"P.S. Kat rules, we don't blame her, just you."

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Youremother posted:

This has honestly been an astonishingly good chapter so far. The new art style combined with actual very important plot development feels like I'm reading a different comic, but in a good way.

Fecha posted:

I’m having fun with it so far.

:same: I'm liking it. There's actual mystery about things that have me intrigued, one of the hallmarks of the good-old-days.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah this feels like one he's had planned out and been wanting to do for a long while and that shows in its quality. It's disorienting this being tangent #4 in the distortion zone to wrap up the plot, but at least, like, we're getting an actual chapter and not just 2 pages of exposition and then a "story arc complete happy end move along" so far!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fecha posted:

I’m having fun with it so far. One small complaint is that the Court’s utter disinterest and detachment with Annie and Kat feels weird in retrospect if the whole inner circle knew they were going to be messing with causality

to be fair she is directing the dude to keep this a secret

e: actually hold up a sec. If what omega says is "a girl" causes predictions to be less accurate, why does the court know for certain its Annie, again? It seems to me that if I were to point the finger at a person causing predictions to go awry, Zimmy would be my 1st 2nd and 3rd choice!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 21, 2024

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

The machinery is starting to look like wings in that last panel.

Time shenanigans again? Is Kat omega and is she gonna kill Zimmy by merging with her and create the angel/omega?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arbetor posted:

The predictor is predicting that the predictions will be less accurate. This feels like a paradox. The more I think about it, "an... event" and "a girl" have to refer to the stable time loop of the tic-tocs and Kat. Annie existing or not would be a symptom of those, not the cause of the inaccuracy of the predictions.

Assuming that Omega has perfect knowledge of the past and present, and can use that knowledge to extrapolate, one way she could both know that her predictions would lose accuracy and not be able to compensate with her knowledge would be if there was an event that was highly chaotic in the mathematical sense: minute changes to the starting conditions cause very large changes at later times. But a stable time loop seems like it should be self-reinforcing, so that actually doesn't make sense.

This is hard to wrap my head around, and not in a good way. More like when the Arbiter and the Sumerian god-thing shows up and the comic descends into incomprehensible legalistic metaphysics and I check out until they leave.

The problem with this is that we know the time loop had an origin point (Annie dies, causing Kat to go insane with grief and make the Tictoc birds and break time in the first place), and presumably what we're seeing is from before the Tictoc birds get introduced to the timeline. So she can see everything perfectly in a timeline without Tictoc birds, but she can also see that at some point, these mechanical birds just start showing up and everything becomes hazy after that. Either that, or they know at some point SOMETHING happens that will break Omega's foresight, and that a girl causes it.

It's a shame we have no idea when this takes place in relation to the comic, because the expeditions being used as measuring sticks to see if the timeline broke yet could have been going on for decades at this point. Maybe centuries, depending on when exactly the Court was founded and what year the comic takes place in.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Was this guy just not capable of saying "no" to her? He clearly objected to all of the extensive procedures at this stage.

Omega seems to be the inverse of a numan; someone who cast away their organic form to better utilize their computational abilities to see the future.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
he was down bad

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Was this guy just not capable of saying "no" to her? He clearly objected to all of the extensive procedures at this stage.

See my previous comment about her wanting to enhance her powers and being able to manipulate simple minds.

Also, while I want to swear about them talking about Annie, there's still a non-zero chance that Annie only came about because of Omega's manipulations. I'm holding out hope that Omega reveals that Annie isn't to blame for something, for once. It would be a nice change of pace.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I mean, it's Kat, right?

I'm liking this so far. It's good!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't think Kat's done anything that should earn her the moniker "the girl who should not be", while we know Annie SHOULD be dead at this point. Unless Omega is going to pull the rug out on all of us and reveal that Kat SHOULD have died when her neck exploded, and Annie was always going to live, Kat's theory was wrong.

Man, that WOULD be a twist.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Randalor posted:

The problem with this is that we know the time loop had an origin point (Annie dies, causing Kat to go insane with grief and make the Tictoc birds and break time in the first place), and presumably what we're seeing is from before the Tictoc birds get introduced to the timeline. So she can see everything perfectly in a timeline without Tictoc birds, but she can also see that at some point, these mechanical birds just start showing up and everything becomes hazy after that. Either that, or they know at some point SOMETHING happens that will break Omega's foresight, and that a girl causes it.

It's a shame we have no idea when this takes place in relation to the comic, because the expeditions being used as measuring sticks to see if the timeline broke yet could have been going on for decades at this point. Maybe centuries, depending on when exactly the Court was founded and what year the comic takes place in.

Looks late Victorian/early Edwardian. So turn of the 20th century.

ETA: I like how both of them have visibly aged quite a bit from their introduction. I wonder if Zimmy is created when Omega gets plugged into the machine, or if she's sort of an outburst of uncontrolled Omega energy. Maybe the court's attempt to create a new Omega? She's clearly an Omega clone of some kind, but she needs an external modulator to control and direct her energy. Was there an alpha, beta, gamma, delta and epsilon that didn't make it?

Bonster fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 22, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bonster posted:

Was there an alpha, beta, gamma, delta and epsilon that didn't make it?

I mean Gamma hangs out with Zimmy, open question whether the name is a coincidence

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean Gamma hangs out with Zimmy, open question whether the name is a coincidence

Good point! We actually know nothing about Gamma other than she's Polish.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

And Omega has similar hosed up eyes like Zimmy, so there has to be some kind of link. Like a failed clone or something.

Omega did mention manipulating minds, and Zimmy & Gamma have some kind of mental link, so could be another sign of something.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Randalor posted:

I don't think Kat's done anything that should earn her the moniker "the girl who should not be", while we know Annie SHOULD be dead at this point. Unless Omega is going to pull the rug out on all of us and reveal that Kat SHOULD have died when her neck exploded, and Annie was always going to live, Kat's theory was wrong.

Man, that WOULD be a twist.

Kat’s earliest memory is waking up on a couch with her parents and Eglamor present. She’s heavily implied to be the supercomputer her mom utilises when she casts her symbol magic.She probably wasn’t born, but built.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
wait WHAT how did I forget that lol

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In fact another read on Omegas limitation could be the New Men, who are just alien enough that her power doesn’t work with them. And since they are more and more active their disruption becomes greater over time, robot was also there when Annie fell and he’s the first robot to be different, we see that when Kat looks at his chip which has a special mod.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Were we ever told where Robot's mod came from or how he ended up in that room in a box in easily assembled pieces? Are we going to get another closed time loop?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Demiurge4 posted:

Kat’s earliest memory is waking up on a couch with her parents and Eglamor present. She’s heavily implied to be the supercomputer her mom utilises when she casts her symbol magic.She probably wasn’t born, but built.

Hold up, where was this? I do not recall this particular plot point (that Kat is implied to be the supercomputer, or that her first memory was waking up with her parents and their friend) at all.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
This one, maybe? https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=400

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, that doesn't say anything about it being her earliest memory, just that he's always been a figure in her life.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
My earliest memory is my dad putting a poster up in my bedroom when I was like 4 years old, I don't think this implies that I was built in that room.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Have to admit though that the ongoing discussion around that page, which is explicitly about building human-like robots, makes for a slightly stronger case (still very much not convinced, though).

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
My earliest memory is being in a tent in the redwood forests of Redding, CA and seeing an actual bear, which implies that bear built me.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
ok this has been r good so far but i wish i knew this dude's name

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Professor Phineas Q. Robotkisser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011