Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

If you look around, there's probably a million different types of grill cloth you could get, and none of them would really make any difference to the overall sound.

Ampeg silver-blue is always a plus in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Widdershins posted:

In my opinion this would not be overdoing it at all.

I've got a Mesa Walkabout that I'm always wishing had more headroom.
Just because you'll have extra power/volume doesn't mean you need to use ALL of it. Going the V12 route, you'll get the tone you want at all the volume levels you actually need.

My back now hates you and I can't even tell how it sounds because I was struck deaf.

My cute widdle Portaflex 500 on top as a comparison.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying
Ha! Awesome

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pretty excited cause I'm getting myself baby's first bass in two weeks. I've been following the thread and figured why not just go with what works best and I'm getting a Ibanez GSR200. They're currently selling a WN/walnut finish model which just looks like a plank of carved wood with strings, and for whatever reason I find it irresistible. I can't find it where I am though (Paris). My father's flying in to visit and can pick it up for cheap ($200) in the US. A regular black GSR200 is going run me 260 euro around here. Is it worth flying an instrument overseas?

Also, am I just needlessly spoiling myself getting a Fender Rumble 30 amplifier? It's pricey at 200 euro, but I've nothing else to spend money on and I loved the way it sounded and the effects it provided. I suppose I could find arguably better and far cheaper used amps, but not having an ear that's attuned to the instrument I wouldn't be able to tell if it's good or not.

I have everything to learn about how to play the bass, but I know music theory and notation having done piano for 10+ years.

I'm just overall excited. My dad'll be bringing an old drum machine of his and plan being what Big Black would've been had they played like Sonic Youth with the talent of Beat Happening. (Besides having always wanted to play bass a lot of this motivation stems from the atmosphere created by the book Our Band Could Be Your Life. Great read, great bands.)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Lol at your band sound, mine is similar with the difference that I can only hope to reach the rarefied technical heights of Beat Happening.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's the beauty of it. You can totally play like Beat Happening. Now if you can write catchy as gently caress pop tunes... I don't know how many people can.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Revvik posted:

My back now hates you and I can't even tell how it sounds because I was struck deaf.

My cute widdle Portaflex 500 on top as a comparison.

So, when are you playing the Phobos/Deimos tour?

Revvik posted:

Although I think this would be overdoing it as I am not currently playing any stadiums / music festivals / small moons.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
What is y'alls opinion on strings for shortscale bass? I have heard people say use large gauge strings for more tension but, I have heard others say lighter is better for intonation and deeper overtones?

I have lighter strings on it right now, a 1978 Aria eb3 knock off, it sounds fine but the E string is super floppy. I have heard also using flats but that takes out all sort of brightness?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

What is y'alls opinion on strings for shortscale bass? I have heard people say use large gauge strings for more tension but, I have heard others say lighter is better for intonation and deeper overtones?

I have lighter strings on it right now, a 1978 Aria eb3 knock off, it sounds fine but the E string is super floppy. I have heard also using flats but that takes out all sort of brightness?

I personally use a larger gauge due to tension and all of that. Flats suck imo. I always hated how they feel and how they make everything sound so well flat and round. Some people swear by them but usually those are dudes playing a fretless jbass doing their best weather report impression or are really into wooten.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Stravinsky posted:

I personally use a larger gauge due to tension and all of that. Flats suck imo. I always hated how they feel and how they make everything sound so well flat and round. Some people swear by them but usually those are dudes playing a fretless jbass doing their best weather report impression or are really into wooten.

yeah the E is the only one really giving me any sort of issue but I think it's more of a feel thing than anything else. maybe I'll just replace that one and keep the others the same

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

pointlessone posted:

So, when are you playing the Phobos/Deimos tour?

The fact that you can't hear it, right now, is almost disappointing.
Realtalk though I may have to already swap some (of the 22 Mosfet) tubes out.

With warming up, I can turn it on and it'll usually play a very muted low tone that's extremely distorted, then start working as intended. Very, very rarely during play it will reintroduce that distortion (not diming the volume here) without dropping any volume.

Everything about this head is over-engineered and designed for excess. This is the footswitch:

I've held smaller baseball bats. The head has two tuner out jacks that work simultaneously regardless of instrument input selected, one in back and one in front because gently caress taking the half mile jog around your amp just to plug in a tuner. One of them gets used as intended and the other I plug my Rocksmith cable into, and yes playing music video games through a 1200 watt "I never bothered to actually BUY a practice" amp is glorious in its excess.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Stravinsky posted:

Neither Jaco, nor Wooten use flats.

Flats rule on the right instrument, but they completely change the feel & sound of the instrument. I like them on P-basses to get that Pino / Jamerson vibe, and I like them on shortscale basses because shortscales are inherently "tubby" and you might as well just go with it.

Tapewounds are another option. I love tapewounds on semi-acoustic fretless electrics with piezo pickups (Rob Allens and the like...) but I've heard a few Mustang's with tapes that sound awesome.

Experiment.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
When you come from am upright bass background, it's easy to favor flats. Also, tapewounds are fantastic and everyone should use them. My bass has a very bright tone, so flats and tapewounds work very well for me. They rein in the trebly tone quite nicely, and I can bump up my tone knob to cut through without getting too obnoxious or honky while doing so.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

CaseFace McGee posted:

Also, tapewounds are fantastic and everyone should use them. My bass has a very bright tone, so flats and tapewounds work very well for me. They rein in the trebly tone quite nicely, and I can bump up my tone knob to cut through without getting too obnoxious or honky while doing so.

I put tapewounds on my 4003 and got this result. Keeps the finger noise down. I liked flats, but they tended to chew up my fingers a bit.

I'm going to let the 4003 be the one bass with roundwounds. It's good at it, and growl is what that bass is for anyway. My favorite bass is a short scale Guild JS-II with tapewounds.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Neither Jaco, nor Wooten use flats.

Flats rule on the right instrument, but they completely change the feel & sound of the instrument. I like them on P-basses to get that Pino / Jamerson vibe, and I like them on shortscale basses because shortscales are inherently "tubby" and you might as well just go with it.

Tapewounds are another option. I love tapewounds on semi-acoustic fretless electrics with piezo pickups (Rob Allens and the like...) but I've heard a few Mustang's with tapes that sound awesome.

Experiment.

I wasn't implying that they did, more of the people who worship those dudes. There is another extreme and that is the never play a wrong note again people who do not know that it was should not be taken as anything other than a joke.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just starting to play the bass TODAY after playing guitar for almost two years and have a maybe-band tryout on bass in a couple of weeks. Been looking at the intro to the thread, it's great. For a bass I'm borrowing an Epiphone EB now and have a used Jag bass I liked at GC on police hold. I really liked the VM jazz bass in the intro but I can't afford it now unless I manage to sell some guitar stuff on CL. Or find a trade.

Looking at amps and wondering if anybody has used the Peavey Vyper? It claims to be both a guitar and bass amp with modeling and a compressor. If it really works for this I could trade out my Fender Mustang amp I use for a practice/headphone amp and use this for both guitar and bass. Plus it has a looper too, which is cool. Solid state so I guess it's really a computer and a speaker, so I don't really see why it couldn't be both a guitar and a bass amp if you look at it from that perspective.

I'm dubious about the 8' model for bass but I don't see why the 12" one couldn't work well. Any thoughts?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Remulak posted:

Looking at amps and wondering if anybody has used the Peavey Vyper? It claims to be both a guitar and bass amp with modeling and a compressor. If it really works for this I could trade out my Fender Mustang amp I use for a practice/headphone amp and use this for both guitar and bass. Plus it has a looper too, which is cool. Solid state so I guess it's really a computer and a speaker, so I don't really see why it couldn't be both a guitar and a bass amp if you look at it from that perspective.

I'm dubious about the 8' model for bass but I don't see why the 12" one couldn't work well. Any thoughts?

I bought the Vypyr VIP3 a while back, first bass amp and a massive upgrade over my Zoom G5 with Kustom 10watt practice amp for guitar. I've read that the 8" version isn't great for downtuned bass but if you're staying above EADG it's a decent practice amp. VIP1 is 20 watt with 8" speaker and less modelling options, VIP2 is 60 watt, 12" speaker and full options. VIP3 is 100 watt 12" speaker, adds a "power sponge" attenuator and an LCD screen. They all have master volume knobs that go upto 13. You know because 11 is for pussies.

The looper, wah, volume and pitch shifter controls are on the separate Sanpera pedal, I picked one up on sale about a month ago and had to open it up to adjust the aux-mode switch which is triggered by a screw when you press down on the pedal.

Note also the "36 amp models" count each channel as a unique model so you only really get 12 amps with Lead, Rhythm and Clean channels. Bass you have Trace Elliot and Peavey models with the Red channel Peavey sounding very close to a cut down T-max. Accoustic you get Trace Elliot and Peavey Ecoustic models with emulated overdrive pedals for lead and rhythm channels. Guitar you have the usuals, 6505, 6534, Brit (Vox AC30), Butcher (hot rodded JCM800), Triple XXX (Dual Rectifier with a scoop in the treble frequencies between mids and presence.), Fender Twin Reverb, Peavey Classic 50 and a Budda which combines features of the Twinmaster and Verbmaster. You also get decent instrument emulation with controls for string brightness and body depth. 7 string low B, baritone A, Bass, Acoustic, sitar, monosynth and E-violin. They all work with bass too if you disable Demo mode with the flashing light show.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Thanks for the feedback. I played with the VIP 3 at Guitar Ctr. today. The electronic sound good but I was not impressed by the speaker. Seems like it didn't really have the thump of a bass amp or push as much air as my 12 inch fender guitar amp. Maybe I just didn't have the guts to turn it up high enough and subject the whole entire store to my second day of bass playing. The emulation sounded okay, the Twin model sounded as good on guitar as the Mustang's. But it just sounded meh overall. You notice this?

So for the time being I'm using JamUp on my phone with a nice pair of headphones. I gotta see if this band thing works out and I even need an amp in the short term like I thought I did. Band dude I was talking to went from multiple emails to nothing, so I wonder if they found a actual bass player or another novice bass player that can loving sing. Or is a chick.

Oh well I own base now and it's hella fun to play!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you won't be getting no good sound out of a pratice amp, no matter what it costs. try to find a beat up old peavey from the 80s, they sell for cheap and make unbelievable noise for combos. the TKO series are good and not hugely expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...0s+tko&_sacat=0

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
I've just been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in both my hands, which is, of course, just magical. After playing bass for a long time, I started to find that the vibration of the strings was straight-up starting to feel like electric shocks going up both arms. My neurologist said that for some people that precludes being able to make music. Great.

So I remembered this British guy, Scott Devine, whom I'd seen playing with gloves! He apparently had a nerve disorder as well, and they reduced his problems. It's a long shot, but I'm curious if anyone here has ever met someone who wears gloves to play, and on an even longer shot, if you could point me in a direction of what to buy.

It mentions that he used silk to start with, but that unsurprisingly, they burned out quickly, and he changed to wool. Seems weird to me. I would have thought that a material more like specialized athletic gloves might work. It would have to be pretty form-fitting so as not to just make the feel disappear.

So, there's my bizarre question.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quidam Viator posted:

I've just been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in both my hands, which is, of course, just magical. After playing bass for a long time, I started to find that the vibration of the strings was straight-up starting to feel like electric shocks going up both arms. My neurologist said that for some people that precludes being able to make music. Great.

So I remembered this British guy, Scott Devine, whom I'd seen playing with gloves! He apparently had a nerve disorder as well, and they reduced his problems. It's a long shot, but I'm curious if anyone here has ever met someone who wears gloves to play, and on an even longer shot, if you could point me in a direction of what to buy.

It mentions that he used silk to start with, but that unsurprisingly, they burned out quickly, and he changed to wool. Seems weird to me. I would have thought that a material more like specialized athletic gloves might work. It would have to be pretty form-fitting so as not to just make the feel disappear.

So, there's my bizarre question.

Honestly I would try getting in touch with Scott and seeing if he could help you out. I remember seeing him on YouTube a while back and noticed the gloves. He seems like a good guy and would probably be very happy to help you out.

Not the best advice but that's what I would do. Good luck man :) it sounds like a really tough roadblock but if you get it sorted out its just that much more motivation to play.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Try mechanic gloves, they are fairly thin but have leather palms and fingers designed with dexterity in mind. They tend to run about ten to fifteen bucks, so you're not breaking the bank if they don't work.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Honestly I would try getting in touch with Scott and seeing if he could help you out. I remember seeing him on YouTube a while back and noticed the gloves. He seems like a good guy and would probably be very happy to help you out.

Not the best advice but that's what I would do. Good luck man :) it sounds like a really tough roadblock but if you get it sorted out its just that much more motivation to play.

Yeah absolutely, I've never spoken to him but I can almost guarantee he'd help you where he can. He's pretty good about answering the ubiquitous WHY U WEAR GLOVE comment on every single video he posts, so I can only imagine how nice he'd be to someone in a similar boat looking for help

Here's his page if anyone's interested - it doesn't sound like the same condition but IANAN, but it's always worth a try which is basically what he did anyway:
http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/odds-and-sods/the-gloves

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Thanks, everybody. I just put piccolo strings on my 4-string, and I'd really like to dick around with it and my octave pedal without feeling like I'm motherfuckin Emperor Palpatine.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Maybe those gloves that are specifically made for playing guitar?

http://www.originalguitarfingers.com/Products.html

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
He answered my question once, he's very reachable.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so with my eb3 aria copy, I got some strings from Zachary Guitar (ZOG) and drat - huh difference. The A and E are now similar tension so no more spike in volume difference.

the only issue is the guy is kinda a jerk (but more of a haha jerk) once you get talking to him, you can see it's just his sense of humor. For this reason people avoid him, I guess? Stupid.

Another small issue was the E was a bit too thick for my bridge but I was able to widen/file it to fit in like 3 minutes. Would definitely recommend them for SS basses. at 25$+ shipping it's not much more expensive than most strings.

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm
Has anyone here used Orange Dual Terror amp with their bass?

I'm looking to move away from my practice combo amp and thought that I'll try to buy an amp which will work well both with a guitar and a bass.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Certis Baliano posted:

Has anyone here used Orange Dual Terror amp with their bass?

I'm looking to move away from my practice combo amp and thought that I'll try to buy an amp which will work well both with a guitar and a bass.

how loud you trying to get?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Just my opinion of course but I feel like a DT would sound like absolute poo poo with a bass. Get a bass amp man :)

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm

how loud you trying to get?

Loud enough to be able to play in small venues purely through the power of the amp. Not like that's going to happen often anyway since most places here have a decent PA system, but I'd like to have the option, just in case.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just my opinion of course but I feel like a DT would sound like absolute poo poo with a bass. Get a bass amp man :)

Why though?

Perhaps I've misunderstood something, so correct me if I'm wrong, but all that an amp does is... amplify things. It takes my signal, colors it with the EQ and whatnot, then just makes it louder. I mean, besides the practice amp I own, I'm using an audio interface as a preamp with a random DVD player as my power amp to get sound out of a pair of these.

It has a power amp, so what's the big deal? It works. Shouldn't sonic differences come to play with which speakers I use, not which thing I use to make my MilliWatts into Watts?

My second idea was to get Orange Terror Bass, but I like Dual Terror's double channel feature.

Certis Baliano fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 24, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
1. 30 w is not often going to cut it for guitar much less bass in live settings.

2. if you run preamp out you are still going to need a load so (iirc) you will need a can for the DT and a cab for the external power amp.

3. amps are voiced and colored for specific duties. most guitar amps cut a certain amount of bass that will not... cut it... for the octave lower notes of a bass.

4. get a v4(100w) or a b25(60w) if you are under the impression 30w is enough for you, these should be plenty. Or a 1200s? Bassman 100/50?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Doesn't Orange make a Terror Bass amp? Both a 500 and 1000w version? Why not just go for that?

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm

Scarf posted:

Doesn't Orange make a Terror Bass amp? Both a 500 and 1000w version? Why not just go for that?

That was my backup plan. It's a shame that it doesn't offer two channels like Dual Terror though.

Edit: I keep hearing great things about Terror Bass. I also found a video where someone played guitar through it and it sounded perfect. It's settled, then. Terror Bass will be my new amp.

...I love Orange.

Edit 2:

1. 30 w is not often going to cut it for guitar much less bass in live settings.

Why not? DI from the amp skips the power section, right?

As far as I understand, the signal goes to the sound guy's mixer and/or power amp. Do 30 watts wouldn't be enough only if I want to have an option of playing without the PA support?

Certis Baliano fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 24, 2014

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Certis Baliano posted:

That was my backup plan. It's a shame that it doesn't offer two channels like Dual Terror though.

Edit: I keep hearing great things about Terror Bass. I also found a video where someone played guitar through it and it sounded perfect. It's settled, then. Terror Bass will be my new amp.

Atta' boy! And remember you can just use a powered A/B to connect both your guitar and bass, and run your guitar through an external preamp section to get your desired results.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

30 watts is enough for guitar if you're running a 4x12; speaker efficiency and cone surface area have a much greater effect than raw wattage

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It's been nine months, and my Dingwall should be in my hands very soon. Just waiting to hear from the dealer with an ETA.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked this up as baby's first bass amp.

I've had my Bass VI for almost a year and haven't had anything to really play it through.

Did I do well for $300? :ohdear:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Sockington posted:

Picked this up as baby's first bass amp.

I've had my Bass VI for almost a year and haven't had anything to really play it through.

Did I do well for $300? :ohdear:

You can use it as a tool to shake the rust loose from your cars too!

Nice find for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
terror bass is a very good luchbox amp, i had one for a few years and i can recommend it for everyone looking for a vintage / that orange tone for relatively cheap. oh, and it weighs next to nothing, too.