Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

deaders posted:

Just a boring sunset really...

Sunsets aren't boring, they're a daily miracle. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

alkanphel posted:

Yessss so drat good! Should post some of that in the food photography thread when I have the time later.

Man you were less than one hour from me, by car. I'd have gladly bought you a beer or three if I knew. :)

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I really like this.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

maxmars posted:

Man you were less than one hour from me, by car. I'd have gladly bought you a beer or three if I knew. :)

Haha would have loved to meet up but I was on a ridiculously tight schedule!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Beige posted:

It's a shame but I don't really know how to avoid that when shooting into the sun. I suppose I could paint over it in post.

What you can try is to do 2 exposures, in one of them put your finger or thumb over the sun (or enough to stop the flare) and then combine exposures.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Foster St., 2014 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007
Ok so this is my first post in here and I feel very out of my depth but I need some suggestions, critique and advice from the people spewing out these fantastic shots.

I have a D5100 and the kit lens, a 35mm f1.8 and an 18-200mm that has just gone on eBay because I didn't get on with it (of the hundreds of photos I took with it, all of them past 85mm were crap when looking at the lightroom metadata)

The only properly sharp shots I seem to be able to get out of the camera are using the 35/1.8 with an object in focus fairly close to the camera (think cats/flowers and alike). Anything past about 5 feet and i'm looking at a lack of sharpness and I start abusing the lightroom sliders to get them somewhat close to the things being posted here.

I *know* sharpness isn't the be all and end all, even k-rock says so but god drat if the sharp shots in this thread don't stand out a lot more than the flat soft ones and I like the look personally.

I've been looking through this thread from the start, I still have about 5000 unread posts to chew through but one did catch my eye of someone with a beach/rocks/sea shot on a D5xxx with the 18-55 kit lens and it was laser pinpoint sharp and generally amazing, I think the guy said it was pretty limited post.

I went out last night after work and just tried to get a sharp shot like the ones i've been seeing people pull off with the same gear, came back with something completely different but still:

DSC_0172-Edit.jpg on Flickr

D5100, 18-55 kit lens, circular polarizer, F22 sky exposure (for the star pointed sun), F11ish foreground (because that's what everyone in here seems to be using for the landscape shots that have a really nice sharp foreground) then manually masked in photoshop, its my first attempt at a sky/foreground exposure and merging and I went a bit OTT on the sky I think.

On a tripod, I set the focus point to the middle AF point, auto focussed on the grass between the middle gate bars (a few feet behind the gate), set the lens to manual focus and recomposed and shot with a wireless remote.

I took maybe 20 exposures at different focal lengths from F4-F22, shutter speeds adjusted, usually at 100 ISO and when loaded up in LR I can't really find a bit of them that's sharp and while the 22's and 4-6's are softer than F7-9, none of them look tack sharp in any area.

The only thing I can think I have left is to focus closer to the foreground - perhaps I should've focussed on the gate in this example and gone for F11? Other than that perhaps using live view for the better auto focus or just for less mirror movement when triggering the shot?

I also had a look at DxO today which is probably a bad idea but looking at (for example) the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 on a D5000 (relatively low megapixel sensor) compared to the same lens on a D7100 (still DX but 24mp or so sensor) the sharpness maps are very different (all red/orange for the 5000, a sea of green for the 7100 and obviously even better on the FF sensor cameras)

Are a lot of these coming out sharper just because they are taken with 24MP cameras and resized down compared to the smaller leeway I have at 16MP and resizing down?

Sorry for the huge post!

TL:DR I'm having trouble getting tack sharp photos that i'm seeing in this thread by the likes of Dread Head and many others.

LoopyJuice fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 11, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What kind of post processing sharpening are you doing? This could/will have a big impact on the perceived sharpness of your images on their final display medium (presumably on your computer monitor).

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I suspect the sharp look in others' photos is a combination of Lightroom export + Flickr sharpening. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but softness at f22 may be due to this phenomenon: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm.

Also, sharpness is for squares.

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

What kind of post processing sharpening are you doing? This could/will have a big impact on the perceived sharpness of your images on their final display medium (presumably on your computer monitor).

Mostly holding ALT while dragging the lightroom sharpening sliders up and down until I like the look of it, fairly high on detail and masking, medium radius on that one IIRC. Computer monitor is a 30" Dell 3007WFP that is a good 7 years old and pretty well on its last legs with backlight bleed and burn in... also uncalibrated... still its the same monitor I look at the images in this thread on so?

I'm *fairly* ok with how they look once i've sharpened them a bit but some people are posting their "straight out of camera" shots here and they look better than mine that have had some serious slider abuse in lightroom!

LargeHadron posted:

I suspect the sharp look in others' photos is a combination of Lightroom export + Flickr sharpening. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but softness at f22 may be due to this phenomenon: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...hotography.htm.

Also, sharpness is for squares.

I've read and understand what happens at the high aperture numbers, I was under the impression F11 (which is what the foreground is) was a fairly safe bet though (if a little on the high side)? Less worried about the sky sharpness more about the foreground/gate detail/edges.

LoopyJuice fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 11, 2014

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

LoopyJuice posted:

Mostly holding ALT while dragging the lightroom sharpening sliders up and down until I like the look of it, fairly high on detail and masking, medium radius on that one IIRC. Computer monitor is a 30" Dell 3007WFP that is a good 7 years old and pretty well on its last legs with backlight bleed and burn in... also uncalibrated... still its the same monitor I look at the images in this thread on so?

I'm *fairly* ok with how they look once i've sharpened them a bit but some people are posting their "straight out of camera" shots here and they look better than mine that have had some serious slider abuse in lightroom!

I've read and understand what happens at the high aperture numbers, I was under the impression F11 (which is what the foreground is) was a fairly safe bet though (if a little on the high side)? Less worried about the sky sharpness more about the foreground/gate detail/edges.

A lot of the people are also posting pictures from cameras that have no aliasing filter. Depending on how much your zooming in, you could just be dealing with the aliasing filter un-sharpening your photos. Your picture looks pretty good in all honesty.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

LoopyJuice posted:

The only thing I can think I have left is to focus closer to the foreground - perhaps I should've focussed on the gate in this example and gone for F11?

This would likely make the greatest apparent difference. Additionally, lot of what is identified as sharpness in photos is not exactly sharpness, but contrast and clarity (not the filters, the general concepts); I doubt there would be significant difference between your setup and most others in this thread on a lens target.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Coal Town: Greenwald by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

love the color contrast between the brown river and green leaves

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Lovely Fujifilm greens .. And great color contrast!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I, too, like the contrast between the brown river and green leaves, but also the red berries in the lower right.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Love the contrast between the cock/balls

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

y'all keep it up and i'mma post a manscape

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Best for you to post that in the macro thread though...

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

y'all keep it up and i'mma post a manscape

Food photography thread is that way --->

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Cityscape-crane by sensitometry - Steven Harris, on Flickr

Was I correct in leveling the image against the crane?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Tigertron posted:

As a master of the crooked horizon line I must say: no.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright

Putrid Grin posted:

As a master of the crooked horizon line I must say: no.

Yeah I feel them same as though its more important for the truck and food cart to be level. Unfortunate that is the full image, shot in camera, so there is not much room to crop.

Tigertron fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 12, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I've just finished a project shot this summer; I understand this can be a cynical crowd but I'm somewhat proud of it, I'm slowly learning pixel editing software.
Making use of both the darkroom and the lightroom is fun :)

Gallipoli

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Tigertron posted:

No and pay more attention to your edges, there's like a tiny bit of something sticking in on the right and it makes me want to kick a puppy over a waterfall.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tigertron posted:

You're pointing the camera upwards, so vertical structures should all have their top ends leaning towards the middle of the frame.

If you want vertical structures to be perfectly vertical in your image, either keep the camera level (and optionally use a lens/camera with shift or rise, to capture more of the top of the structures), or do perspective correction in post. The latter can end up looking rather odd.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I didn't know that Mario Cipollini had retired and started a bike company, so I was pretty confused by the green frame on the right.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Tigertron posted:

check your horizons vs your subject matter and correct that while you are on site. LR wont be able to fix this with perspective corrections.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
NW Marshall, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

drat.

The Orchards at Monmouth Battlefield by benruset, on Flickr

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 13, 2014

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Finally got around to processing this one from ages ago, shortly after I got my camera. Never delete photos.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 13, 2014

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Phone camera's tonal range sucks and has crazy glare...

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
It's for kids

img002
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^ drat, that is some trippy lighting. Are you standing in front of a shiny building?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

^ drat, that is some trippy lighting. Are you standing in front of a shiny building?

IIRC it was noon sunlight, so maybe that's why.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

gently caress.