Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Razorwired posted:

It would probably still be about effort and qualifications. James Cameron just went and made up an ecosystem for Avatar. While the movie had its criticisms I didn't hear many "He just made up that helicopter bug? gently caress this movie!"

Tolkien got a pass for making up languages because he was a good linguist. He started his mythology by making up languages, took his bases from existing dialects, and did a ton of work regarding how Elvish languages were going to work. While today someone trying to do so would look :spergin: as gently caress it's a lot more respectable than using pig-Latin for your magical language or using vaguely Japanese sounding words for when you want someone to sound like an alien.

Klingon was created in 1979 and expanded in 82 by a linguist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
And it was a cool little side project until nerds started writing wedding vows in it :colbert:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Razorwired posted:

And it was a cool little side project until nerds started writing wedding vows in it :colbert:

And playing baseball with it.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Languages are still invented for fiction all the time. Did you think the aliens in Avatar were speaking Spanish?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Everything for fiction is invented all the time. It doesn't exactly make the OT equal to a Uwe Boll movie.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Something that's come up in the TOR thread in Games is lightsaber colours, particullarly whether Sith characters will be 'allowed' to use purple blades, or will be restricted to red.

The question that comes from this is why can't the Sith use blue or green blades, and why can't Jedi use red?

I know why each tend not to, but are there any concrete reasons beyond the artistic preferences of the George?

VV drat good point! VV

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 14, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Actually, why is it that the more unified Jedi Order who subscribe to a selfless philosophy and general interchangeability use a variety of saber colors, but the rugged individualists and utterly selfish assholes of the Sith use a standardized color?

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Red is an angry colour. I don't think it extends to much more than that as far as the 'actual' answer goes.

In universe I don't know. Yellow, green and blue are traditional colours of jedi sentinels, consulars and guardians respectively (I think), so I guess red might be the same for Sith in general. I'm going to say tradition as the main reason. The Sith, despite being philosophically very selfish or whatever, are still strictly trained as Sith (going by what you see in kotor).

Still, lighsaber colours are easily changeable, so I'm not sure why it's supposed to be a universal thing among all Jedi/Sith.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Red would not have looked fashionable with Maul's tattoos and I don't want to imagine what Maul would look like with a green or blue blade.

Though he'd probably still look better than Darth LightsaberKnees.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Red and black look eeeeeeeeevil.

Pretty much the same reason their new sithnames are eeeeevil words minus/plus a syllable.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Mister Roboto posted:

Red and black look eeeeeeeeevil.

Pretty much the same reason their new sithnames are eeeeevil words minus/plus a syllable.

Wait, are there black lightsabers? How does that work?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Suenteus Po posted:

Yes.

Because they look neat to some people.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Suenteus Po posted:

Force Unleashed is the first I saw them. I heard someone in the EU has a technicolor blade or some poo poo.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Wasn't there an in-universe explanation that sith blades are red because they tend to use a special kind of crystal found on one of the sith worlds or something that is slightly more powerful than a standard lightsaber crystal?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fox of Stone posted:

Red would not have looked fashionable with Maul's tattoos and I don't want to imagine what Maul would look like with a green or blue blade.

It's true. Tattoos just aren't me. :haw:

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

LLJKSiLk posted:

Wasn't there an in-universe explanation that sith blades are red because they tend to use a special kind of crystal found on one of the sith worlds or something that is slightly more powerful than a standard lightsaber crystal?

I thought the red blades were the result of using artificial crystals or something.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Ninja_Orca posted:

I thought the red blades were the result of using artificial crystals or something.

This. There was nothing really "Sith" about red blades. They were just synthetic crystals and at one time were mass produced. A couple of the books did go into the fact that for some reason the fake crystals were more unstable so some how could focus the dark side.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The funny part is we know that Wookiepedia has the answer, but none of us have gone there yet. Maybe we're just afraid about reading the EU's next lightsaber wielding droid or a lightpenis.

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pope Mobile posted:

The funny part is we know that Wookiepedia has the answer, but none of us have gone there yet. Maybe we're just afraid about reading the EU's next lightsaber wielding droid or a lightpenis.

Noone is afraid. We all know that the moment a lightpenis comes out we are all going to buy one for "research" purposes.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Pope Mobile posted:

lightpenis.

Vwuummmmmmmmm.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I guess we are both right:

Wookipedia Penis Sabers posted:

While the Jedi used natural crystals, the Sith often used red-hued synthetic crystals. Sith-made synthetic crystals create a slightly more powerful blade when energized by the dark side of the Force, occasionally demonstrating the ability to "break" Jedi lightsaber blades, disrupting the energy circuit and shorting out the weapon. However, this rarely happened, and as synthetic crystals demonstrated a slightly lower amount of maneuverability, this advantage was very slim.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

LLJKSiLk posted:

I guess we are both right:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal
I knew this, but it doesn't address why ALL Sith have red lightsabers, and NO Jedi have them.

What's to stop some young Apprentice picking up a red gem and using it? ('bonding' with it or some crap) Would his Master force him to get rid of it?

And why would Dooku want a blade that was apparently 'less maneuverable'? Surely a fraction extra power over blade speed wouldn't fit his style.

I suppose the overall question is 'why does every EU/game artist and writer insist on giving Sith red lightsabers for no real reason (other than Vader having one?)'

And the answer is Star Wars.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was going to rant about how little sense it makes to say that one blade composed of light is more/less powerful or maneuverable than another but :starwars:.
We need a :starwars: icon.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Pretty much the same reason why every Sith lord MUST have the name title Darth. It's required by the Sith union or something. Sith Lords local 134.

Really though it's because EU writers love taking character details that make people unique and cool and using them on every new character they write in the hope that it will make THEIR character cool by osmosis. See Corellian bloodstripes, the Emperor's force lightning, etc etc. Also nerds love establishing canon rules, and character details are fantastic for that.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Black saber.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wait what season is that from? I don't recognize the episode.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
It's referred to as the "Darksaber" and according to wookieepedia has shown up three times.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation" (Appears in flashback(s))
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore" (Appears in flashback(s))

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber_%28lightsaber%29

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
It's supposed to be some kind of relic that the Mandalorians stole way back when, and now that dude there is using it because Star Wars.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pope Mobile posted:

I was going to rant about how little sense it makes to say that one blade composed of light is more/less powerful or maneuverable than another but :starwars:.

I made this a while back, I call it :jorgesay: but it never caught on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Is it different to a lightsaber in anything but name?

Edit: Nevermind, missed the wookieepedia link.

I take it that the black lightsaber you can unlock in TFU is just for laughs then, because the article makes a big deal about it being a unique colour.

RedTeam fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 14, 2011

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
:starwars: should be something fun and iconic, like a :smug: Death Star exploding.

:eu: should be something utterly ridiculous. What would it be? A Mando with thirty lightsabers attached? A bug orgy?

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Derek Dominoe posted:

:eu: should be something utterly ridiculous. What would it be? A Mando with thirty lightsabers attached? A bug orgy?

If Lightsaber-Knees could be made into a suitable size, then it is only fitting he should be :eu: .

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Tensokuu posted:

It's referred to as the "Darksaber" and according to wookieepedia has shown up three times.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation" (Appears in flashback(s))
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore" (Appears in flashback(s))

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber_%28lightsaber%29

Oh that's right. I recognized the Mandalorian, but not the blade. I remember now.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

quote:

Though Vizsla's skill with the Darksaber was such that he could fight evenly with Kenobi for a time, the ancient blade could not defend Vizsla from the Jedi Master's Force powers.

:buddy: "See cuz he's a Mandalorian and and Mandalorians are super tough and they are super good at fighting and have cool armor and jet packs and can use lightsabers and are as good as Jedi with them."

God dammit. The entire point of a lightsaber is that the reflexes and coordination required for it are only possessed by trained force users. I'm all for having cool non-Jedi characters but this is just lazy, hack writing.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Apparently it was originally just supposed to be a sword.

As far as P-canon goes, I'm pretty much okay with painting a swordblade back over it mentally and declaring it to be made of phrick, the material that lets swords not get chopped in two in the Knights of the Old Republic games. Heck, just looking at the blade makes it clear that that's what was intended; the shape is nothing like the perfect cylinder of every other lightsaber we see.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pope Mobile posted:

It used to exist as a crying wookiee in front of a Rebel flag but it's been lost to the ages.

ZeeToo posted:

Apparently it was originally just supposed to be a sword.

As far as P-canon goes, I'm pretty much okay with painting a swordblade back over it mentally and declaring it to be made of phrick, the material that lets swords not get chopped in two in the Knights of the Old Republic games. Heck, just looking at the blade makes it clear that that's what was intended; the shape is nothing like the perfect cylinder of every other lightsaber we see.
Yeah, that poo poo was just dumb. A lightsaber is at least in theory a realistic sort of thing in terms of shape-- apparently it'd be possible to make one out of plasma in the real world if we had huge amounts of energy and equipment-- but there's no reason an energy beam would take the from of an asymmetrical sword.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Hazo posted:

It used to exist as a crying wookiee in front of a Rebel flag but it's been lost to the ages.

Well, maybe someone can make a replacement using :wookie: as the starting point.

Or maybe this time it can be two MANDALORIANS in battlekilts killing a Jedi, high-fiving each other, then having gay sex.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Darth Freddy posted:

This. There was nothing really "Sith" about red blades. They were just synthetic crystals and at one time were mass produced. A couple of the books did go into the fact that for some reason the fake crystals were more unstable so some how could focus the dark side.

This. I think there was also an EU Jedi that was running around with a natural red crystal in his saber. He caught poo poo for it all the time.

Jedi just focus on their lightsabers as their one worldly possession and it's supposed to be a huge deal to them. So they go on pilgrimages to find a crystal that speaks to them or some other hippie nonsense. Sith seem to see them as just another tool and so theirs have mass produced parts.

Of course this isn't counting Episode 2 where Anakin and Obi Wan go through like 8 of them throughout the course of one movie.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I liked this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Doc Hawkins posted:

I liked this.

I did not see what was so funny about that until he turned on the flashlight. That's hilarious.

Edit: Has anyone mentioned Rick McCallum's news on the live action series?

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 15, 2011