Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Oh. Hmm... Is your GTA directory marked read-only?

Downgraded, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

DirtyOldDishrag posted:

Oh. Hmm... Is your GTA directory marked read-only?

Downgraded, right?

I keep making it not read only and it just does this when I check it again.

And yes, downgraded.

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Himuro posted:

And yes, downgraded.

Bizarre. The only other thing I can think of is another process using that folder and preventing you from unchecking the button.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Like Steam itself?

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Like Steam itself?

Possibly. I don't think I had Steam running when I patched it. :iiam:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I tried without steam on and it still is a no go. :(

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Himuro posted:

And yes, downgraded.

Folders in windoze always show as read only. The setting affects the files inside the folder, checking or unchecking it does nothing to the folder itself.

Whatever your problem is, this checkbox is a red herring.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've always never been able to mod my DVD copy of SA, (apart from ENB) and awhile ago I brought every GTA game ever for like, 20 bucks on a steam sale.

So I was thinking, since I can't get those downgraders to work with my non steam copy, should I install the steam version of SA, then try to downgrade that version?

Ie, go from 3.0 > 1.01 instead of 2.0 > 1.01

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Your best bet is probably to get the original GTA:SA executable from a friend. That is, presuming you know someone who still has GTA SA 1.0 or 1.01 around.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I went back and started TLAD and while I'm fine with GTA IV's driving model using motorcycles in that game is loving awful. Hit a traffic cone? Fly! Fly into the night sky!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Didn't TLAD fix the motorcycling handling from vanilla?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm going to have to admit that reading about the size and scope of the world in the new game has stoked a huge game boner.

I'm legitimately in full salivation mode which I haven't been in for at least a year or so.

I'm praying that the pc version comes pretty soon after the consoles. I still load up gta 4 just to mess around in the open world. I'm still shocked that people (not just on forums) seem to think that the driving wasn't good? It's one of the most fun things for me.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Jippa posted:

I'm praying that the pc version comes pretty soon after the consoles. I still load up gta 4 just to mess around in the open world. I'm still shocked that people (not just on forums) seem to think that the driving wasn't good? It's one of the most fun things for me.

It was a big change from the arcadeish driving of the previous GTAs. Some people couldn't adapt to the change. R* has acknowledged it's pretty floaty and cars drive around like boats, so they're tweaking it for GTAV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jippa posted:

I'm going to have to admit that reading about the size and scope of the world in the new game has stoked a huge game boner.

I'm legitimately in full salivation mode which I haven't been in for at least a year or so.

Extreme nerds have a problem dealing with a change to their video games. If a developer does anything to change a series, even if it is good, they will rage against the machine and say it's terrible. While the way cars were set up in IV wasn't very easy to drive at speed, it was still pretty fun and I'd say an improvement that fit with the new style of the game. But because it was different from San Andreas, it was terrible.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I just finished the TLAD campaign, and man, having played IV and TBOGT, I think TLAD has the best story. It's deeper than IV's, and the style is awesome. I hope there's something like that in V.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Should we then expand this into a Rockstar games megathread so it has more use?
...so I just beat LA Noire last weekend...

It's the first open-world game I've actually beat since Vice City. I think the rigidity of the plot is what kept me focused. Also I wanted to beat the game IN SPITE OF IT. I've never felt so bi-polar about a game before. Loved the 1947 Los Angeles recreation, much of the acting, the facial animation, some of the plots ... loving hated the interrogations, some of the plots, most of the overarching plot etc. drat game was so uneven.

I think the biggest problem it had was that it was just too drat long. Needed less or quicker missions to make it easier to polish and a more even experience. I also suspect that certain plots didn't work out as well as they hoped, but after they'd already done the voice-recording/expensive motion cap. Because of how expensive their process was they were presumably stuck with it.

I unabashedly used a FAQ to get through the interrogations because seriously, gently caress them. It would have been acceptable possibly if the game was shorter so you could play adventure game style with trial & error, but it was already 35 hours. I haven't used a FAQ in ages, but I would never have gotten through this otherwise.

(I would have beat San Andreas for sure, but my DVD copy was so god damned buggy in a crash-to-desktop sense, and then the Steam version wouldn't accept my old saves though it ran flawlessly. I'll go back to it sooner or later.

As well, I'm STILL working through GTA IV just to get it off my plate, but that god damned game is so joyless. It's like work. But I'm fixated on finishing it. I do look forward to TLAD and Gay Tony.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 15, 2012

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

awesome-express posted:

So I just finished the TLAD campaign, and man, having played IV and TBOGT, I think TLAD has the best story. It's deeper than IV's, and the style is awesome. I hope there's something like that in V.
Agreed. I feel like the only person in the world who found tbogt a bit of a wet fart after tlad. I liked feeling like I was part of a genuine story with twists and turns and drama rather than tbogt which felt a lot of the time like a compilation of wackiest folks and zaniest missions. A lot of people love Yusef but to me that style wasn't endearing of what I always wanted from gta games but kinda limp dicked, empty and frivolous.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Knightmare posted:

Didn't TLAD fix the motorcycling handling from vanilla?

Yeah they changed Motorcycle handling in that game because you played as a biker. And the more you played the game the "better" your character was at driving it so you could handle doing things better.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Knightmare posted:

It was a big change from the arcadeish driving of the previous GTAs. Some people couldn't adapt to the change. R* has acknowledged it's pretty floaty and cars drive around like boats, so they're tweaking it for GTAV.

I played IV on XBOX. I must have bought the complete edition on a steam sale at some point. I fired up TBOGT last night to try and get myself excited for V. I don't remember it being as bad as it is. Is the PC version much worse than the console version? I'm using a XBOX controller. I didn't pay much attention to GTA after I played through IV and was pretty underwhelmed. I haven't touched it since. I forced my self to play about an hour last. I hate every single thing about it, and SR3 has ruined me apparently. IV is like it's in slow motion. I want a GTA story with SR3 controls. I am not pre-ordering V regardless of what they say in pre-release media hype.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah they changed Motorcycle handling in that game because you played as a biker. And the more you played the game the "better" your character was at driving it so you could handle doing things better.

I guess if you retroactively apply that logic it makes more sense. The motorcycle physics in vanilla gta4 were lovely because Niko wasn't any good at riding motorcycles. Conversely, Niko was excellent at pushing old ladies down flights of stairs.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

BlackLaser posted:

I played IV on XBOX. I must have bought the complete edition on a steam sale at some point. I fired up TBOGT last night to try and get myself excited for V. I don't remember it being as bad as it is. Is the PC version much worse than the console version? I'm using a XBOX controller. I didn't pay much attention to GTA after I played through IV and was pretty underwhelmed. I haven't touched it since. I forced my self to play about an hour last. I hate every single thing about it, and SR3 has ruined me apparently. IV is like it's in slow motion. I want a GTA story with SR3 controls. I am not pre-ordering V regardless of what they say in pre-release media hype.

I wouldn't say the PC port is worse, especially if you're playing with a controller. I'm guessing when you played it first on Xbox it was amazing at the time, but since then you've grown to like the lightness/zippiness of SR more than the meat and physics of GTA. No problem with it, they're two different games.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Speaking of which, are there any mods that improve the aiming controls of IV? I've been spoiled by every game that's been released since then.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

davebo posted:

I guess if you retroactively apply that logic it makes more sense. The motorcycle physics in vanilla gta4 were lovely because Niko wasn't any good at riding motorcycles. Conversely, Niko was excellent at pushing old ladies down flights of stairs.

They also kept the worse motorcycle handling for TBOGT even though that came out after TLAD.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Install Gentoo posted:

They also kept the worse motorcycle handling for TBOGT even though that came out after TLAD.

I never understood people saying TLAD had "better" motorcycle handling. To me it just seemed your rear end was glued to motorcycles so you could gently caress up more without falling off. Drive around in one of the stupid cruisers at low speed and try hitting things and watch as you magically stay in your seat no matter what happens
!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I never understood people saying TLAD had "better" motorcycle handling. To me it just seemed your rear end was glued to motorcycles so you could gently caress up more without falling off. Drive around in one of the stupid cruisers at low speed and try hitting things and watch as you magically stay in your seat no matter what happens
!

You can't deny that that was better for loving around!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Bovineicide posted:

Speaking of which, are there any mods that improve the aiming controls of IV? I've been spoiled by every game that's been released since then.

I'm pretty sure the aiming was never that bad?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The aiming and driving controls aren't that bad at all, people. It just takes more getting used to, and like, braking. The aiming controls are ...over the shoulder with a cover system? I don't know what everyone is having all this trouble with. It's not as arcadey as saint's row, but I like it.

Turn off autoaim, because it will bone you. Try driving cars around in first person view, I find it a lot easier to drive and way more fun. The reflections off the hood of the car and just the views of the city with the ICenhancer mod make cruising around a joy.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

Extreme nerds have a problem dealing with a change to their video games. If a developer does anything to change a series, even if it is good, they will rage against the machine and say it's terrible. While the way cars were set up in IV wasn't very easy to drive at speed, it was still pretty fun and I'd say an improvement that fit with the new style of the game. But because it was different from San Andreas, it was terrible.

Don't start that bullshit. There are plenty of legitimate IV complaints. Saying all of them boil down to it being "different" is asinine even if it does a lot of things really well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm trying to play GTA:SA on the PC with mods, but having trouble getting the "HD Mod" to work with Steam. After it's installed and I try launching the game, I get hit by four different errors about a missing file and then the game fails to launch.

Also is there a reduced HUD mod for SA for playing on 1920 x 1080, as everything is way too big.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

...so I just beat LA Noire last weekend...

It's the first open-world game I've actually beat since Vice City. I think the rigidity of the plot is what kept me focused. Also I wanted to beat the game IN SPITE OF IT. I've never felt so bi-polar about a game before. Loved the 1947 Los Angeles recreation, much of the acting, the facial animation, some of the plots ... loving hated the interrogations, some of the plots, most of the overarching plot etc. drat game was so uneven.

I think the biggest problem it had was that it was just too drat long. Needed less or quicker missions to make it easier to polish and a more even experience. I also suspect that certain plots didn't work out as well as they hoped, but after they'd already done the voice-recording/expensive motion cap. Because of how expensive their process was they were presumably stuck with it.

The adultery part was some loving terrible writing. I mean, where the gently caress did that come from?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It was sort of (very) thinly implied that there was something going on in a much earlier cutscene, but the main problem is that we knew absolutely zilch about his loving family making it hard to relate to or care.

That said, the overall plot mostly finally started to get better at that point, though even the Kelso cases were a major stretch. Again, that kind of story would have worked so much better if the narrative was substantially shorter.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

It was sort of (very) thinly implied that there was something going on in a much earlier cutscene, but the main problem is that we knew absolutely zilch about his loving family making it hard to relate to or care.
This is really what I meant to say. You hardly knew anything about Cole Phelps' personal life at all. Suddenly this is supposed to evoke something out of the player.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The whole war subplot was so badly shoehorned in too. For 30 hours of the game it has no bearing on anything (that you know of at least). By the time it finally gets tied into the game it's basically the same as your complaint. It made the ending really weak too.

Speaking of the ending, what the gently caress was up with your shithead vice partner giving the eulogy. Made no sense any which way.

Some of the individual mission plots were pretty great. The Murder desk was unfortunately one of the weakest parts of the game ... I especially disliked that you were forced to arrest people you knew weren't good for the crime. You were rewarded for making "ethical" choices. While the murder subplot was bad, the conclusion was pretty bad rear end.

I really enjoyed the shootouts, especially the movie set one. An early factory one was kind of silly ... like how are all these employees in on their bosses dirty business and willing to die for it? In the other ones you were clearly dealing with mobsters.

Driving was really fun in this game, and the historical vehicles were cool. By the end I didn't even need the siren to weave through traffic ha. I also liked the conceits of not punishing you during the mission for trashing your car, etc. It just worked for the style of game. Also nice that you weren't punished for ignoring the street crimes that would pop up during a mission, unlike not playing loving bowling with Roman.

There were a lot of great ideas, but either someone calling the shots was making really poor decisions, or they just ran out of time/money.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

!

The motorcycles fish tailed and spun out significantly less, tiny impacts didn't cause you to go flying. The amount of bikes they added too added a much larger range of bikes with different stats.

I haven't found any good gta iv handling mods that really deliver but if you do let me know.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

It was supposed to be even longer. Several desks were cut (the cutscenes still refer to them in parts due to the voice acting likely already being done before they were cut.)

Mr Butthole
Nov 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cojawfee posted:

I liked the driving, but to some people it was just poo poo icing on a crap cake, which is understandable because GTA 4 is an unabashed turd compared with SA.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

It was supposed to be even longer. Several desks were cut (the cutscenes still refer to them in parts due to the voice acting likely already being done before they were cut.)

What kind of information do you have about the cut desks. It seemed pretty complete to me.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A quick search shows Burglary and "Bunko" (Fraud): http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/13/two-full-desks-cut-from-l-a-noire/

Also supposedly cut because of size restrictions.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Did anyone ever make a mod for GTAIV that makes all pedestrians hate/attack you including cars trying to ram you nonstop? That was one of my favorite cheats from GTA:SA and from Saints Row 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Did anyone ever make a mod for GTAIV that makes all pedestrians hate/attack you including cars trying to ram you nonstop? That was one of my favorite cheats from GTA:SA and from Saints Row 2.

I wanted this a while back and couldn't find anything solid. A real shame really as I love watching NPCS get into gun fights.

• Locked thread