Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't bother learning anything but the first rank single and multitarget spells for either of those two anyway. They have neither the magic nor the sp pool to make dynes worth casting, so its just more stuff cluttering their skill list. It'd be nice if she got the multi-target attack buff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko, but I kind of have a thing for keeping my first three recruits with most games. P3 was an exception, since Junpei starts to suck midway through so he got kicked to the curb when Mitsuru shows up (Yukari/Akihiko/Mitsuru for reference). Did they fix Naoto to not suck at bosses this time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vanov posted:

Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko, but I kind of have a thing for keeping my first three recruits with most games. P3 was an exception, since Junpei starts to suck midway through so he got kicked to the curb when Mitsuru shows up (Yukari/Akihiko/Mitsuru for reference). Did they fix Naoto to not suck at bosses this time?

This is me. This is what I did in both games.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

vanov posted:

Did they fix Naoto to not suck at bosses this time?

Naoto can learn all 4 elemental dynes now, but still lacks any Amp skills, but Mind Charge+Dyne is only 27 SP instead of Charge+Megidoloan for 90 SP so yeah, Naoto is a bit better at bosses.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

She also learns a special Almighty Boosting skill.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Axle_Stukov posted:

Naoto can learn all 4 elemental dynes now, but still lacks any Amp skills, but Mind Charge+Dyne is only 27 SP instead of Charge+Megidoloan for 90 SP so yeah, Naoto is a bit better at bosses.

That still seems pretty ridiculous, she gets basically full elemental coverage including almighty with Mind Charge? She still has Hama/Mudo family stuff, right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As bad as Naoto is with the bosses, it's not like any of the later ones are difficult enough for her to be a massive hindrance.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yukiko/Chie/Naoto supremacy :colbert:

Wish we got a FemC for P4G too :( Chickfest...

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
What's this?! People are considering using teams other than Team Bro?

Blasphemy.

Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie 4 lyfe.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did they re-write Naoto as well? Or is she still a horrible exposition fairy that turns everyone else into retards when she arrives. Cause gently caress Naoto.

Also Chie's new voice actress pretty much ensures she's getting kicked to the curb once I get Teddie.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No they did not rewrite Naoto, they did very little in the way of rewriting the main story.

Except for Marie.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 20, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Yukiko is not as bad as Naoto don't be crazy. At least she has more of a personality.

Also I still don't get why Chie's new VA is so hated by some people now.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Naoto's a girl?! :aaa:

I think the reason Chie lost some Ice magic is because she sucks with magic and Teddie already has that covered.

e: haha http://i.imgur.com/4H2Wc.jpg

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 20, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cityinthesea posted:

At least she has more of a personality.

I don't think you can say Yukiko has anything resembling a personality, she's pretty bland overall except in battle.

God dammit Atlus USA, I love you guys.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I don't think you can say Yukiko has anything resembling a personality, she's pretty bland overall except in battle.

God dammit Atlus USA, I love you guys.

I assume that's the hiimdaisy joke I heard was in there? I haven't read it and 1st link on google leads to a blank Photobucket :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh... oh my god. This is amazing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Irritated Goat posted:

I assume that's the hiimdaisy joke I heard was in there? I haven't read it and 1st link on google leads to a blank Photobucket :(

Here's the relevant panel from the hiimdaisy comic, but it's maybe kind of a spoiler for P4 if you haven't gotten through summer yet: http://i.imgur.com/PtEeV.jpg

I don't remember the rest of the context, this is just what I saw posted alongside it on tumblr.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

TurnipFritter posted:

Here's the relevant panel from the hiimdaisy comic, but it's maybe kind of a spoiler for P4 if you haven't gotten through summer yet: http://i.imgur.com/PtEeV.jpg

Excellent

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Totally justifies getting a Vita :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Altus has the best localization team. :allears:

Irritated Goat posted:

If you want to experience the whole thing, check out the full dub on Youtube (heavy spoilers for endgame stuff all around): http://youtu.be/w7lj9qI8VFc

Alteisen posted:

Also Chie's new voice actress pretty much ensures she's getting kicked to the curb once I get Teddie.

You aren't using Kanji until then? :colbert:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 20, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No way :stare:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Hey, don't they let you use Teddie's human form in the dungeons? Does this stop that annoying squeaking bullshit?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Nope, still squeaks.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

They're aware of us!!! :neckbeard:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Quark posted:

If you want to experience the whole thing, check out the full dub on Youtube (heavy spoilers for endgame stuff all around): http://youtu.be/w7lj9qI8VFc

I completely forgot that Kanji is the first one to join. :downs:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've decided I'm going to buy Persona 4 Golden on Black Friday. Meijer has a 40% ALL Vita games sale. I don't even own a Vita but that's going to be the best price around for a long time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
BTW, NichM on GAF explained the choice behind that line, and it's because it's shockingly close to the original Japanese.

Marie asks what 'bifuteki' means, and you can explain that it's short for 'bifusuteki' (AKA beefsteak). She then says that's dumb because it obscures the fact that it's a steak, and suggests that 'fusuteki' would be a better choice.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pureauthor posted:

BTW, NichM on GAF explained the choice behind that line, and it's because it's shockingly close to the original Japanese.

Marie asks what 'bifuteki' means, and you can explain that it's short for 'bifusuteki' (AKA beefsteak). She then says that's dumb because it obscures the fact that it's a steak, and suggests that 'fusuteki' would be a better choice.

I refuse to believe it wasn't a reference in the original Japanese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Wow, that's pretty amazing.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Strange Quark posted:

I love you for that link.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm using that screencap to justify getting a vita and a copy of this game. It will be the most I've spent on a game I've already beaten since the day I had to replace Gitaroo Man.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Beaten to the punch, but I have a slightly less spoiler-y picture for the comic's context. It's not much of a spoiler at all, but if you want to be sure you're far enough then wait until you've finished the 3rd (June) dungeon:

Fsteak.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Strange Quark posted:

this is amazing. thanks for that link.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
"Chie I am going to get soooo fat!"

"OH OKAY"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm in the middle of a very interesting conversation on a Japanese blog/messageboard about P4 and why it is so well liked in the West. It flies in the face of the idea that Japan needs to imitate Western games in order to become popular over here. People were like "but its a normal Japanese town and life, why would anyone over there find that interesting" and I was trying to explain that that's WHY a lot of people liked it. For me, there are only two games I have ever played that really made me feel like I was in Japan, Shenmue and P4. P3 and the Yakuza series don't really do it for me because a big city's a big city, there's not much about that setting that really screams Japan in particular.

Anyway some other things people wrote were (paraphrased):

"Rather than Mario of FF or whatever, I want this to sell well over there, it shows a much less warped view of Japan"
"^^^^ Oh really? How come I couldn't summon personas in my high school days then?"
"^^^^ because you didn't face your true self, obviously"
"^^^^ goddamn, you're right, I hated myself in high school, I wanted friends like Yosuke and Chie, I was so jealous"
"^^^^ wow, I didn't expect you to take that seriously"

"Why does the West like this? They're supposed to like only big beefy guys in games"
"^^^ Right so, they liked Kanji then?"

"I didn't think Westerners wanted to change into a hero or whatever like we do"
"^^^^ Dude, American comics. That's entirely what they are about"
"^^^^ Oh yeah, right"

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Why does the West like this? They're supposed to like only big beefy guys in games"
"^^^ Right so, they liked Kanji then?"

He's so right :allears:.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kanji was one of the more popular characters in the West though, I bet he wasn't as popular in Japan.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
More!

I find it hard to wrap my head around the supposed Japanese/Western division in games. There are some trends in Japanese games but nothing that really sticks out to me as something that would turn me off Japanese games as a whole. Persona 4 is well liked because it takes place in a distinctive, original environment for games and has interesting characters and gameplay. Not very hard to understand that.

In fact it is one of the strongest games in invoking the feeling of "This game is from Japan!" compared to others in my opinion and it doesn't turn me off in the slightest. Of course I am only speaking for myself here, I don't know if most other people are turned off by extremely Japanese games or not for it to matter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Kanji was one of the more popular characters in the West though, I bet he wasn't as popular in Japan.
Yeah I dunno, I'll ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
You don't need to know how to speak Japanese and copy paste it to know why the West likes the game. It's fun and the town life seems authentic and a fresh breath of air.

Wow, that saved me from taking a bunch of Japanese courses!