Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I find it hard to believe no one is willing to finance a spike lee movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

maybe he should make a movie about black superheroes or black dudes saving the planet from an asteroid

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Al! posted:

gender and racial equality are dooming society

Agreed

nannerpus_
Nov 9, 2012

what about a banana, friend

TOOT BOOT posted:

maybe he should make a movie about black superheroes or black dudes saving the planet from an asteroid

how does that tie in to basketball? :confused:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nannerpus_ posted:

how does that tie in to basketball? :confused:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think kickstarter is a cool way for established and nonestablished artists to get money with no interference from traditional financiers. 1.5m isn't a huge amount of money and it's not going directly into spike lee's pockets either. plus donors get cool poo poo that you just can't get from regularly funded movies

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

I think kickstarter is a cool way for established and nonestablished artists to get money with no interference from traditional financiers. 1.5m isn't a huge amount of money and it's not going directly into spike lee's pockets either. plus donors get cool poo poo that you just can't get from regularly funded movies

if people like harmony korine and paul thomas anderson can find funding without begging spike lee definitely can. it's not like those guys had their artistic independence impeded by relying on a legitimate production company

nannerpus_
Nov 9, 2012

oh, yeah good point

nannerpus_
Nov 9, 2012

about_face posted:

if people like harmony korine and paul thomas anderson can find funding without begging spike lee definitely can. it's not like those guys had their artistic independence impeded by relying on a legitimate production company

i think everyone would be a lot less pissy about crowdfunding your movies had the first person to do so not be such an insufferable tool as zach braff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

zach braff's a tool but he got natalie portman to be in his movie where he gets naked with her and i have to respect that

nannerpus_
Nov 9, 2012

i imagine zach braff entering a woman to be like dipping your toe into a cold pool over and over again until you finally get the nerve to really get in there

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
the $32million ubuntu phone kickstarter is obviously ridiculous, but i do agree with shuttlecock when he talks about the fact that there's no "f1" equivalent in the phone world.

like, innovations in automotive engineering typically flow from racing to supercars and eventually down to every consumer vehicle. you can pay a massive premium to have a car that's 5 or 10 years ahead of other cars in terms of the tech it uses.

whereas in phones, the "high end" is still just the top of the consumer market, i.e. the iphone 5, one, galaxy s4...etc.

theoretically, you could build a phone right now with a 4k oled display and a bunch of other futuristic tech and whatever, and charge like $2000 for it and only make very limited runs. but instead we wait for innovations to become scalable and thus cheap enough for mass market consumption.

like, the idiots who spend $2000000 on a veyron are still spending the same on their phone as pretty much everyone else.

what i'm saying is that we need to crowsource a way to separate rich people from their money. the most ethical way to make a fortune.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
how could a loving phone possibly benefit from a 4k screen

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

slogsdon posted:

idk, who cares?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

slogsdon posted:

look up the bugatti veyron

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WorkingPeer posted:

the $32million ubuntu phone kickstarter is obviously ridiculous, but i do agree with shuttlecock when he talks about the fact that there's no "f1" equivalent in the phone world.

like, innovations in automotive engineering typically flow from racing to supercars and eventually down to every consumer vehicle. you can pay a massive premium to have a car that's 5 or 10 years ahead of other cars in terms of the tech it uses.

whereas in phones, the "high end" is still just the top of the consumer market, i.e. the iphone 5, one, galaxy s4...etc.

theoretically, you could build a phone right now with a 4k oled display and a bunch of other futuristic tech and whatever, and charge like $2000 for it and only make very limited runs. but instead we wait for innovations to become scalable and thus cheap enough for mass market consumption.

like, the idiots who spend $2000000 on a veyron are still spending the same on their phone as pretty much everyone else.

what i'm saying is that we need to crowsource a way to separate rich people from their money. the most ethical way to make a fortune.

except vw take a massive loss on every veyron sold. proles buying polos are subsidising the playthings of the ultra-rich.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

$1.25 million is not a lot for a movie; joe queenan wrote a terrific book about trying to make a super-low-budget movie, and everything involved with movies is waaaay more expensive than you would guess

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

1.25mil is enough to throw something together and then get bigger backers privately on the proviso that you are left in control of the artistic vision

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

provides some dumb gnome based interface and i guess portions of the current ubuntu repositories will be recompiled for ARM so they can run on the phone. ubuntu mode will apparently be incapable of running android apps too.

also it will provide a desktop-ish interface when the phone is plugged into a monitor or something. which doesn't sound like its going to be very useful at all.

lol linux is copying windows 8

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I enjoyed primer and that was shot for $7k so I expect spike lee can do something amazing for $1.25m, because

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

looper was 5mil iirc

a5mil still isnt really a lot for making a film

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

looper was 5mil iirc

*establishing shot of a character beating his nonfunctional hoverbike*

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

looper was 5mil iirc

Wiki says $30m

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Migishu posted:

Wiki says $30m

ok i heard wrong then

30mil is still low but not quite as low

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN IRON MAN

Hey, is there a a way to get rid of all these goddamn bottle opener kickstarters? Oh, yes there is. QUIT USING POP TOP LIDS ON YOUR loving BOTTLES!

We're building a train... to SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Migishu posted:

QUIT USING POP TOP LIDS ON YOUR loving BOTTLES!

these don't seal as tightly fyi

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

"minimal losses to atmospheric friction"

losses like total structural integrity when you try to move something at hypersonic velocity at sea level

and that's ignoring the space-elevator level materials needed to avoid the whole thing self destructing at the speeds they're talking about spinning it

and the fact that if it was even vaguely feasible the private launch companies (not to mention the worlds militaries) would be all over this poo poo and he wouldn't need to beg neckbeards for the cost of a nosecone on a loving titan iv

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

lol @ both the name and their lofty goals to do all of that for $250k

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
well, at least it's still more feasible than a fuckin space elevator even though its not feasible at all

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Migishu posted:

Hey, is there a a way to get rid of all these goddamn bottle opener kickstarters? Oh, yes there is. QUIT USING POP TOP LIDS ON YOUR loving BOTTLES!

idiots get a cnc mill and a copy of sketchup thinking it'll make them rich. except the only usable thing they can model and mill is a cool bottle opener and they don't want to apply themselves any further. but they've got a cnc mill so that makes them part of an elite set of hardware startups and therefore their idea can and must go on kickstarter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

about_face posted:

why would you not try to get all your watching revenue you can before you start producing instead of after, if you know you're going to be able to get any?

seriously it makes total sense, and they also all get regular production company funding anyway after. but if no one's willing to pledge to the movie at the start, it might indicate it isn't worth proceeding with.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

linux phone kickstarter is at 4.7mil

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh hey remember when gawker asked for 200k to buy that video of the mayor of canada smoking crack?

turns out they hit their goal

and then the video was gone

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

oh hey remember when gawker asked for 200k to buy that video of the mayor of canada smoking crack?

turns out they hit their goal

and then the video was gone

lol looks like there was no video in the first place

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hey lets take 200k of people's money to buy a video sight-unseen from a sketchy dude

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Al! posted:

hey lets take 200k of people's money to buy a video sight-unseen from a sketchy dude

nah two newspaper reporters and one gawker dude all claim to have seen it

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
sounds credible

not

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

I frankly find it difficult to believe that a crack dealer would be more responsive to the desires of his ethnic community than to a $200,000 bounty
whitepeople.txt

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
~ethnic desire~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"minimal losses to atmospheric friction"

losses like total structural integrity when you try to move something at hypersonic velocity at sea level

and that's ignoring the space-elevator level materials needed to avoid the whole thing self destructing at the speeds they're talking about spinning it

and the fact that if it was even vaguely feasible the private launch companies (not to mention the worlds militaries) would be all over this poo poo and he wouldn't need to beg neckbeards for the cost of a nosecone on a loving titan iv

dude just give me $250k and don't worry about it, i've built a ton of crazy poo poo in roller coaster tycoon, i got this

• Locked thread