Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Away all Goats posted:

"data usage resets every 90 days" makes it sounds like you get 40gb for those 90 days? Would be great it if someone who actually signed up for this plan can confirm.

You get 120gb spread over 90 days. That's what i already had before i grabbed that black Friday $34/mo dollar deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mister Facetious posted:

You get 120gb spread over 90 days. That's what i already had before i grabbed that black Friday $34/mo dollar deal

yeah. just to be clear tho you get 120 gigs but it’s 40 gigs per month with no rollover. only if you’re doing a 90-day plan will the data bucket happen once at the beginning of the three month period

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I decided to eat the $10 sim card fee and switched myself to 50g/$34 kooooooodo to get a taste of this good call control labna and also as a gently caress you to fido for not letting existing me in on their $29 plans and 50gb plans.

I will miss you, cold called threats from the CRTC that resemble mine own phone number.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Weirdly since I switched plans to that Koodo cross border one I've seen some calls marked as spam getting through the call control. But we also just bought a car and at least one of them was serius xm radio calling to upsell us so now I don't know if the call control isn't working properly or if Chevrolet's various services are all trying to sell us stuff now. At least my phone is generally marking them as suspected spam on its own though.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Well call control really just stop robo calls, a real human can press the number it asks them to press and it'd go through.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

waxluthor posted:

Well call control really just stop robo calls, a real human can press the number it asks them to press and it'd go through.

For sure. I just haven't seen basically any calls marked as spam get through in years and suddenly I've had 4 in a week. Only one of which I answered

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just have Rogers and have never had a spam call that I can remember in ages. They don’t advertise any kind of blocking thing that I’ve noticed.

I do occasionally get calls from real people who say they’re returning a call I just made to them, not sure what’s going on there.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I have a Pixel and I use the screen call function for everything, even if it's from my boss or people I know. :smuggo:

My work phone is an old iPhone with Bell and I get robo spam calls all the time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How do you buy phones now? After going from i9000->S3->Nokia 1020 I started buying phones second hand for a few years. Then I got caught in the trap of wanting the best camera so I started buying new again, always through the tab. I'm the traditional bad-with-money goon so I never have cash to just slap down on anything close to high end. I've only ever had 2 or 3 phones I really liked. My current S23, I thought it was the size/shape I really wanted but I'm tired of the hard edges now. Its also fairly laggy a lot of the time. I avoided the S22 at the behest of the android thread, but my wife got one anyway and immediately regrets it for the miniscule battery life.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I go to apple.ca and choose a model I like and order it with a case and AppleCare.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I just have Rogers and have never had a spam call that I can remember in ages. They don’t advertise any kind of blocking thing that I’ve noticed.

I do occasionally get calls from real people who say they’re returning a call I just made to them, not sure what’s going on there.
Guess you got lucky. As soon as I switched from PM to Rogers a few years ago I was inundated with spam texts & robocalls

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 28, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I took advantage of bizarre trade-in deals in the US but I suppose they're not as good here unless you scour redflagdeals daily or something?

codo27 posted:

My current S23, I thought it was the size/shape I really wanted but I'm tired of the hard edges now.

Uh, get a case then?

codo27 posted:

Its also fairly laggy a lot of the time.

:psyduck: It's a top of the line phone, this is not normal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hate cases. The last thing I want is for the thing to even bulkier.

Throttling performance is how they keep the battery halfway decent, while also giving you a reason to consider the Ultra model next time (I wont)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That shouldn't be the case outside of heavier gaming (which overheats every phone). You either have a very uncommon use case, exaggerating, or have a defective unit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol super embarrassing for samsung to be selling a top of the line lagphone in tyool 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lagline

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Robocallers almost always spoof numbers for caller ID. It seems that your actual number was being used.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

codo27 posted:

How do you buy phones now? After going from i9000->S3->Nokia 1020 I started buying phones second hand for a few years. Then I got caught in the trap of wanting the best camera so I started buying new again, always through the tab. I'm the traditional bad-with-money goon so I never have cash to just slap down on anything close to high end. I've only ever had 2 or 3 phones I really liked. My current S23, I thought it was the size/shape I really wanted but I'm tired of the hard edges now. Its also fairly laggy a lot of the time. I avoided the S22 at the behest of the android thread, but my wife got one anyway and immediately regrets it for the miniscule battery life.
I buy a Pixel from Amazon (amazon directly, not a shady marketplace seller)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I bought a Pixel One XL as a cheap backup phone from Staples a few years ago. It was a good deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

I buy a Pixel from Amazon (amazon directly, not a shady marketplace seller)

I mean, with the Pixel 8's issues you can probably consider Google a shady seller right now.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I've gotten a few good deals online at BestBuy.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Rogers finally forced my ShawMobile account to switch over to them. It actually wasn't bad coverage, but in the last couple days my data has just stopped working despite not reaching the data cap yet.

In a shocking twist of fate, the Rogers Virtual Assistant actually solved my problem by asking me to restart my phone. Guess I'll hang onto $10/1GB a bit longer.

Chris Knight posted:

Guess you got lucky. As soon as I switched from PM to Rogers a few years ago I was inundated with spam texts & robocalls

Huh, maybe that's why I've been getting scam texts lately.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This seems interesting.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/roam-beyond

quote:

The plan includes 60GB of data and unlimited talk & text that you can use in Canada and 73 destinations8 for $65/mo. with Digital Discount

Current destinations included (subject to change, destinations may be added or removed)

Albania, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Bonaire, Bulgaria, Cayman Islands, Croatia, Cuba, Curacao, Czech Republic, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, France, French Guiana, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Turks & Caicos, Ukraine, United Kingdom & Northern Ireland, United States (USA), US Virgin Islands, Uzbekistan

We are still working to add more destinations to the plan, stay tuned!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

it's too bad freedom's network sucks rear end at home

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Can't wait for Rogers version of this where you get Turks but not Caicos and Tobago without Trinidad.

And its only those two countries.

And its $400 a month for 8gb.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not nearly as good as telus and I'm considering leaving as my plan renews tomorrow and just came across it.

Tempted to go to the public Canada/us by the month and just keep an eye out for a different plan.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yea Freedom has good plan deals but they all come with the asterisk of their coverage not being the best. At least that was the case like 7 years ago when I finally got fed up with not getting coverage in many buildings and switched to Koodo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tbf thee biggest issue I have with freedom is it sometimes glitching when changing between freedom network and nationwide/roaming.

I use Wi-Fi calling a lot and it generally works really well too, but for some reason I've been having errors with group texts.

Their customer service is pretty rough and it's literally taken them 4 months to get my autopsy right, but it's not like public really has any customer service to speak of.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Can't wait for Rogers version of this where they get exclusivity deals for certain countries

And its $400 a month for 8gb.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thing I like is how on bell's site, their coverage map says I should get coverage in my entire region. Instead, at home I get squat, and nothing about 60% of my commute to work. I emailed the CRTC once about it saying its false advertising, but they said they dont get involved in such things.

Wifi calling has been such a godsend. Lately though I cant seem to receive images from my wife over text. My parents just use hand me downs from us and I hate that theirs are just old enough not to have wifi calling. Well, dad's does but loving bell is so miserable you cant use wifi calling if you have no data. What loving sense does that make?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

The thing I like is how on bell's site, their coverage map says I should get coverage in my entire region. Instead, at home I get squat, and nothing about 60% of my commute to work. I emailed the CRTC once about it saying its false advertising, but they said they dont get involved in such things.

Wifi calling has been such a godsend. Lately though I cant seem to receive images from my wife over text. My parents just use hand me downs from us and I hate that theirs are just old enough not to have wifi calling. Well, dad's does but loving bell is so miserable you cant use wifi calling if you have no data. What loving sense does that make?

Isn't that how voip works/used to work?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

VOIP works whether your phone is connected to 5G, LTE, WiFi, etc.

WiFi Calling is a feature that some carriers don't have. For those that do, it should just plain work if your phone is connected to WiFi, e.g. I'm at my office in a high rise, well above cell towers, so I put my phone into airplane mode and then turn only WiFi back on. Calls and texts are working.

He's saying Bell doesn't let it work that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if they do that so you can't use it to avoid roaming charges.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats probably right. All I know is when you try to activate, it flat out tells you you cant because of the aforementioned reason. Its just a work phone, in fact they gave him a flip phone but we put the SIM card in a hand me down iphone 6 from my brother.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wifi calling is the only reason I tried Freedom in the first place since I live in a fringe area. It works really well.

That said, I'll be going back to Public as soon as they have another deal that appeals to me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Public Mobile unfortunately doesn't have WiFi Calling.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah, but their coverage through the Telus infrastructure is so much better having Wifi is really not an issue for me at that point where it is for Freedom.

Can't speak for others of course.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Which is so funny, because it would take Telus almost nothing to enable it, but they deliberately remove features so you pay for a more expensive service through the first party.

$7 visual voicemail anyone

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there any functional difference between Fido and Rogers? I've been offered a substantial discount to my phone bill if I switch to Rogers and I just wanna make sure I'm not loving myself over.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
No. You’ll have more features and arguably better speed during congestion on rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sick