Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rick posted:

An ipod shuffle or your computer aren't going to be able to access icloud syncs.

Well, you're half right, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Mother-in-law got a new 5s to replace her old 4s that had busted Wi-Fi. Thing is, it now appears to be impossible to erase the old phone. She is always prompted to turn off Find My iPhone first, but the verification always fails because there is no online connection of any kind. Nothing works with a wired iTunes connection either. Any actual way to erase short of manually deleting each individual item?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Minidust posted:

Mother-in-law got a new 5s to replace her old 4s that had busted Wi-Fi. Thing is, it now appears to be impossible to erase the old phone. She is always prompted to turn off Find My iPhone first, but the verification always fails because there is no online connection of any kind. Nothing works with a wired iTunes connection either. Any actual way to erase short of manually deleting each individual item?

e: oh wait, you can't connect it to iTunes and restore? Put it in DFU mode and try.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 26, 2014

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Minidust posted:

Put the new SIM in the old phone temporarily.

Edit: You will need an adapter. And it important that you get the old phone signed out of everything. It will keep getting iMessages.

Edit2: Just thought of something else. You could also tether it using bluetooth, if that still works.

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 27, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rick posted:

An ipod shuffle or your computer aren't going to be able to access icloud syncs.

Just use downcast and take your phone with you everywhere. You should be able to use Bluetooth / airplay / headphone cable as needed to get whatever output you want.

This is way less hassle than *ever* syncing things back and forth - that's just an old school habit that iTunes has trained you in.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, I just use a third party program that sets my computer up as an AirPlay receiver and then send my podcast audio to it if I want to listen on my computer.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

It is a Canadian model phone as well. The auction said it had AppleCare, but no indication of the duration of AppleCare. I was just trying to make sure I knew the duration before cracking open the box. But it appears that the AppleCare starts after activation?

Confirming it does. My AppleCare expires exactly one year after I activated it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

wooger posted:

Just use downcast and take your phone with you everywhere. You should be able to use Bluetooth / airplay / headphone cable as needed to get whatever output you want.

This is way less hassle than *ever* syncing things back and forth - that's just an old school habit that iTunes has trained you in.

I've found getting things to sync over icloud to be much more hassle than the 30 seconds it takes to sync podcasts to my phone from itunes. And I just would rather run with a shuffle than an iphone in my pocket.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're still a few days away from a dedicated thread, but Apple will be streaming the WWDC keynote this year:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We're still a few days away from a dedicated thread, but Apple will be streaming the WWDC keynote this year:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

The WWDC presentation is usually what? New iOS, iPad releases and OSX stuff?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

tuyop posted:

The WWDC presentation is usually what? New iOS, iPad releases and OSX stuff?

Mostly software, Macbook announcements and new services (iTunes Radio or cloud stuff).

iPads I think were only announced once at WWDC?

edit: And apparently the iPhone was announced at a WWDC
http://www.cultofmac.com/171879/the-history-of-wwdc-apples-biggest-announcements-feature/

It looks like the past few years Apple prefers to announce iPhones and iPads on september/october, but with all the rumors of a big ipad and the eternal iWatch, who the gently caress knows. The only sure thing is a new iOS announcement and some update to OSX.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 27, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

iPads I think were only announced once at WWDC?

iPads have never been announced at WWDC. The iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 were announced at WWDC. For the last few years it's been mostly software and services. The real answer to tuyop's question is "whatever they're ready to announce".

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

iPads have never been announced at WWDC. The iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 were announced at WWDC. For the last few years it's been mostly software and services. The real answer to tuyop's question is "whatever they're ready to announce".

Wasn't some minor iPad upgrade announced at WWDC? I seem to remember people getting mad about some update to the ipad barely 3 months after the last one had been released.

This article is pretty great for WWDC, unfortunately doesn't cover the latest:

http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/complete_history_wwdc_keynote

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Wasn't some minor iPad upgrade announced at WWDC? I seem to remember people getting mad about some update to the ipad barely 3 months after the last one had been released.
It wasn't WWDC and it wasn't 3 months.

WWDC will be iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and whatever hardware Apple feels like announcing -- most likely not iPhone or iPad.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don Tacorleone posted:

Not at WWDC and it wasn't really as bad as 3 months. March 2012 had the iPad 3 release, and then October 2012 had the iPad 4 and the Mini launch.

edit: beaten

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

The iPhone was announced at Macworld 2007, in January.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
It's interesting that they're streaming to Windows PCs ("Streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later; or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.") for, I think, the first time here.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

maduin posted:

It's interesting that they're streaming to Windows PCs ("Streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later; or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.") for, I think, the first time here.

Don't get your hopes up -- it said that last year but it didn't work and the text was eventually changed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Also that's the exact same message they show below their videos for past events (e.g. last year's WWDC keynote), so I'm guessing that those aren't actually the requirements for the live stream.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Oh well. I actually realized just now I don't know anyone who still has a Windows PC outside of a few friends who just use them to play computer games.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It wasn't WWDC and it wasn't 3 months.

WWDC will be iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and whatever hardware Apple feels like announcing -- most likely not iPhone or iPad.

kitten smoothie posted:

Not at WWDC and it wasn't really as bad as 3 months. March 2012 had the iPad 3 release, and then October 2012 had the iPad 4 and the Mini launch.

edit: beaten

DarkJC posted:

The iPhone was announced at Macworld 2007, in January.

Dang just link here if you ever need proof that nobody should pay attention to what I post, ever

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So 3 hours ago I was going to go the gym. But hey, I need new music since I haven't messed with my iPhone 4S since it crashed the night before I went on vacation. How did this happen? I wanted to get the pictures of it and tried to update the OS on the phone through iTunes because my Windows 7 PC (64 bit) wouldn't recognize the phone as a device. During a layover in Dulles I finally got the phone restore to work using my work laptop.

So long story short, my desktop STILL doesn't recognize the loving thing as a device. iTunes does recognize it, though. 3 hours of googling things like "transfer pictures from iPhone 4s to PC", "PC won't recognize iPhone", "Autoplay won't recognize iPhhone" and patiently trying all of the random suggestions and guides and here I am.

I'm actually convinced Apple does this just to gently caress with PC owners. :tinfoil:

Oh to live in a world where I could plug my phone into my computer and drag the pictures into a folder on my computer.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Does a failed Touch ID fingerprint scan count as an incorrect passcode for purposes of device wipe security policies?

Background: my work requires an "after X failed passcodes, wipe device" policy on any device that accesses corporate e-mail. Meanwhile, I occasionally run into times where Touch ID takes 3 or 4 tries to get my fingerprint (usually when it's sweaty or otherwise wet). I would really hate to accidentally wipe my device because my thumbprint was unreadable for whatever reason.

I've tried some googling (though possibly not the right combination of words), but I can't find any clear answer on this, and I don't exactly want to experiment, y'know?

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Axiem posted:

Does a failed Touch ID fingerprint scan count as an incorrect passcode for purposes of device wipe security policies?

Background: my work requires an "after X failed passcodes, wipe device" policy on any device that accesses corporate e-mail. Meanwhile, I occasionally run into times where Touch ID takes 3 or 4 tries to get my fingerprint (usually when it's sweaty or otherwise wet). I would really hate to accidentally wipe my device because my thumbprint was unreadable for whatever reason.

I've tried some googling (though possibly not the right combination of words), but I can't find any clear answer on this, and I don't exactly want to experiment, y'know?

I'm not sure if it does or not, but after 5 failed scans in a row it requires you to type in your passcode anyway. So even if it did, you'd have to mistype your code 5 times afterward to trigger a wipe.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dantu posted:

So 3 hours ago I was going to go the gym. But hey, I need new music since I haven't messed with my iPhone 4S since it crashed the night before I went on vacation. How did this happen? I wanted to get the pictures of it and tried to update the OS on the phone through iTunes because my Windows 7 PC (64 bit) wouldn't recognize the phone as a device. During a layover in Dulles I finally got the phone restore to work using my work laptop.

So long story short, my desktop STILL doesn't recognize the loving thing as a device. iTunes does recognize it, though. 3 hours of googling things like "transfer pictures from iPhone 4s to PC", "PC won't recognize iPhone", "Autoplay won't recognize iPhhone" and patiently trying all of the random suggestions and guides and here I am.

I'm actually convinced Apple does this just to gently caress with PC owners. :tinfoil:

Oh to live in a world where I could plug my phone into my computer and drag the pictures into a folder on my computer.

Which of these random steps did you try? Usually uninstalling and reinstalling itunes, and running itunes as an admin does the trick (also make sure to restart the phone somewhere in the middle of that). If you have applecare you can usually get someone to sit on the phone with you for a long time to get it going too. Warning though, sometimes these are problems with your USB ports themselves which is bad news.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rick posted:

Which of these random steps did you try? Usually uninstalling and reinstalling itunes, and running itunes as an admin does the trick (also make sure to restart the phone somewhere in the middle of that). If you have applecare you can usually get someone to sit on the phone with you for a long time to get it going too. Warning though, sometimes these are problems with your USB ports themselves which is bad news.

I updated iTunes, restarted phone, tried unlocking phone while connected, tried being unlocked when connecting, tried 2 different USB cables, changed Autoplay settings, unchecked iTunes Helper in msconfig Startup, reinstalled Apple Mobile Device Driver. None of it worked.

Then I plugged it into my work laptop and it recognized it instantly and launched the Autoplay options. Both are Windows 7 64 bit machines :mad:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Tech Support Question: Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you make a call with the iPhone, your phone is supposed to realize that you're on a call and holding the phone vertically (using the accelerometer, I assume) and shut off the screen so you don't hit the "mute" button or "speakerphone" button with your ear, correct?

Because for some reason, my 5S is not doing that recently and it's loving annoying because I keep hitting the "mute" button or "keypad" button etc. with my ear and then people on the other end are like, "hello, hello are you there?" because they suddenly can't hear me.

I've restarted my phone several times to no avail. Is there a setting in the settings menu that controls this, or is my phone broken? I haven't dropped it or had it land in a puddle of water or anything, so I'm rather stumped. Using iOS 7.1.1

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Xarthor posted:

Tech Support Question: Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you make a call with the iPhone, your phone is supposed to realize that you're on a call and holding the phone vertically (using the accelerometer, I assume) and shut off the screen so you don't hit the "mute" button or "speakerphone" button with your ear, correct?

Because for some reason, my 5S is not doing that recently and it's loving annoying because I keep hitting the "mute" button or "keypad" button etc. with my ear and then people on the other end are like, "hello, hello are you there?" because they suddenly can't hear me.

I've restarted my phone several times to no avail. Is there a setting in the settings menu that controls this, or is my phone broken? I haven't dropped it or had it land in a puddle of water or anything, so I'm rather stumped. Using iOS 7.1.1

So, it actually uses a proximity sensor embedded near the speaker above the screen to detect if you're holding it close to your ear. Usually you can test this by covering that area with your hand when you're on a call to see if the screen turns off.

If it's not working I'd make an appointment at the Apple store if you can, I don't think there's any setting you're missing to turn it on or off.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just make sure you do a restore first. The techs have gotten really strict at the Apple stores near me, and even if it's likely a hardware issue they'll want to do a restore and set up as new device first to see if the issue goes away. If you tell them "I did a restore already and it didn't help" they'll actually check the date of the last restore using their diagnosis software. I'm sure it helps their hardware swap numbers, and your personal experience may vary. It just seems like they're tightening down on quick device swaps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you happened to get a case recently try without it and see how that goes, some have interfered with it in the past I think. Otherwise the sensor gets disabled on speakerphone...which shouldn't be an issue unless you're like my mom who turns it on then puts the phone to her head.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
I just got a 5s last week, but didn't pony up for Applecare+ at the time. I'm going to go buy it tomorrow when I can get over to the apple store nearby, but do I need to make an appointment to do so?

If I were actually bringing the phone in for work, I know that I'd need to do so, but this seems like a simpler transaction. Also, it's a lot easier to get over there if I don't have to make an appointment!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they're not busy they can get you right in, but it's generally easier to just make an appointment.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Their AppleCare page says you can call (800) 275-2273 and let them run a remote diagnostic, and buy it that way too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dantu posted:

I updated iTunes, restarted phone, tried unlocking phone while connected, tried being unlocked when connecting, tried 2 different USB cables, changed Autoplay settings, unchecked iTunes Helper in msconfig Startup, reinstalled Apple Mobile Device Driver. None of it worked.

Then I plugged it into my work laptop and it recognized it instantly and launched the Autoplay options. Both are Windows 7 64 bit machines :mad:

Is itunes helper starting successfully when you don't have it checked? Also, try running itunes as an administrator.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dropped my 5s today and got a really great spiderweb/smash of the glass. Running my fingers across, I can definitely feel where it's cracked and a few small slivers of glass came loose.

Not being the guy that cares how my phone looks, is there anything I can do that doesn't involve repairing the glass? Otherwise how much am I looking at for glass repair? Any reputable companies?

No AppleCare or anything on this-purchased at release.

Edit: nm about other things to do than repair glass. Viewing Facebook and forums loving sucks with how damaged the glass is. Just got a chance to check it out after dropping it this morning.

nwin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 31, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A strip of packing tape can be used to hold it together long enough to use the device until you can do the walk of shame into an Apple store.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If that's a walk of shame I hate to see what you do after tripping or overfilling a glass.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My wife was using her iPhone 5 looking at Twitter or something non-intensive and she got a 'phone too hot' warning (which has never happened) and an immediate shutoff. She let it cool and tried restarted it and nothing happened. We let it sit in the charger overnight and tried it again this morning and nothing. I plugged into our Macbook and put it into recovery. The recovery screen pops up and it tries to recover but iTunes generates a 2001 error and the phone still won't boot. I installed iTunes on my PC and now instead get a 21 error but with the same results. I tried putting it into DFU mode and get the same error.

Is there anything else I can do or should I assume it is probably hosed?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can it successfully perform an Erase All Content and Settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I can't get into the phone OS at all. When I plug it in to a computer I get the Apple boot logo then it dumps me straight into recovery mode. When I tell it to restore it reboots the phone into the Apple logo screen, goes to a blank screen (I assume this is DFU mode), then reboots back into recovery and spits out an error message. The phone is completely non-responsive if it isn't plugged in, like it doesn't have a battery or something.

My wife just said that she wasn't actually using the phone when it gave her the temperature warning, she had just put it back in her purse and it beeped at her a few minutes afterwards. So that is pretty weird.

• Locked thread