Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's not even a Suda game. He hasn't actually headed a game since No More Heroes 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kanfy posted:

You've been very selective if you've heard nothing but bad things about DS2.

This. Some people will go out of their way to hate on DSII. Apart from being a good to great game, the performance and matchmaking improvements make playing it much more fun. Absolutely worth the price IMO.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
It's also crazy how completely different Dark Souls 2 is with true 60fps. You could technically do it in the original Dark Souls PC port with the fix, but in 2 it's far more pronounced and makes the moment-to-moment gameplay feel so much more enjoyable.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Accordion Man posted:

That's not SR4 Insurance Fraud.

You're implying that SR4 is better at doing anything in the series which is a fallacious train of thought.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

You're implying that SR4 is better at doing anything in the series which is a fallacious train of thought.
It's better at actually running properly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Kins posted:

It's better at actually running properly.

I had no issues running any other game in the series except Saints Row 1 because it's not on the PC.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh hey, nobody's mentioned this yet. Hexcells Infinite came out today and is only five bucks. I'd never heard of it until getting its predecessor Hexcells Plus in the latest IndieRoyale, but I blew a good twelve hours on it across two or three days since it scratches that puzzler itch like nothing has for me since Squarelogic. Well worth checking out for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
So since Dominions 4 is out, is there still any reason to get 3? And is the Conquest of Elysium game any good?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

I had no issues running any other game in the series except Saints Row 1 because it's not on the PC.
If you have to download a DLL injection hack for your game to run at the right speed, it's not running properly.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

So since Dominions 4 is out, is there still any reason to get 3? And is the Conquest of Elysium game any good?

Not really to both questions.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Deakul posted:

The SR2 port is hot garbage, congrats on having a different experience than majority of people, I guess.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Firstborn posted:

I'll give it a shot... if it was $20 I'd purchase it immediately, the $30 tag gives me pause.

The only people that insist Dark Souls 1 is better are huge spergs that have put hundreds of hours into both games. To the common gamer Dark Souls 2 is a straight improvement.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think from the things I've heard... all video games are bad. Especially the ones that are fun to play.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's also crazy how completely different Dark Souls 2 is with true 60fps. You could technically do it in the original Dark Souls PC port with the fix, but in 2 it's far more pronounced and makes the moment-to-moment gameplay feel so much more enjoyable.

Yeah, mechanically speaking, Dark Souls 2 is a major improvement over the first. The central gameplay systems and the UI are more refined, and the engine runs better, although that last point shouldn't be too surprising given that they axed most of the PC version's high-end features to make sure it ran smooth on PS3.

The world-building and boss design? Less so. It's pretty clear that the studios B-Team worked on the game, and they don't really have the same kind of attention to detail that the lead crew did. That primary team have been working on Bloodborne all this time, and it's due out early next year.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
The way I always heard it described is this: Mechanically, DS2 is a better game. The highs in DS1 are higher than the highs in DS2, but the lows in DS1 are far lower than the lows in DS2. There's no bed of Chaos or Lost Izalith, so you don't need to worry about that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The only people that insist Dark Souls 1 is better are huge spergs that have put hundreds of hours into both games. To the common gamer Dark Souls 2 is a straight improvement.

If anything it is probably the other way around. People who are gigantic dark souls spergs (like me) will appreciate the mechanical improvements in DS2 more, since they spend so much time PvPing and doing other time-consuming stuff.

That said, generalizations like that don't help anyone and people have very differing opinions on both games. Anyone who says that Dark souls 2 isn't a worthy sequel to the first one is just wrong though, even if they personally prefer DS1.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

A handy tip for DS2: Make sure you have some sort of ranged (bow or xbow) for the Shrine of Amana area, that area is much more fun with that in mind.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

GOG will be retiring 35 games tomorrow, here's a final and discounted farewell.

(7 more hours GMT+1)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Why is this? Some licencing shenanigans? There's some good stuff there I might have wanted to pick up.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I believe it's due to how GOG changed the pricing so that you can pay with different denominations when checking out regardless of where you are.

Some publishers have rules and policies regarding pricing when it comes to currency.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MooCowlian posted:

Why is this? Some licencing shenanigans? There's some good stuff there I might have wanted to pick up.
GOG's getting rid of regional pricing and Nordic doesn't seem to like that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

http://store.steampowered.com/eula/311710_eula_0?eulaLang=english

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whatever that is, it's not available on steam yet:
http://steamdb.info/app/311710/subs/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tamba posted:

Whatever that is, it's not available on steam yet:
http://steamdb.info/app/311710/subs/
Maybe that`s what the name of the game is. Another Greenlit title.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

quote:

IF U STEAL THIS I'LL CHOP UR NOB OFF YA oval office YA

Haha what.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
U Wot M8: The Game

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

That's something to do with Killing Floor 2, right?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bobby The Rookie posted:

That's something to do with Killing Floor 2, right?
Killing Floor 2 is already on the Steam Store, so I don't think so, unless that doesn't make a difference.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Anyone here playing Dead State? I found the game to be pretty fun so far in the public beta, but I'm having a real trouble of a time finding parts in any real amount past the initial hardware store you get sent to in the beginning and it is making upgrading/repairing kind of a pain

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Firstborn posted:

I'm on the fence over Dark Souls 2. I loved the first two Souls games, but once the initial hype wore off I've heard nothing but bad things about DS2. Is it worth the $30 tag? Ugh... someone in this thread mentioned a DS clone called The Fallen Kingdom or some poo poo, anyone play that? How is it?

I'm a huge fan of demons and dark souls, it's one of my favorite franchises. For some reason though, DS2 did not click at all and I only got to the end recently. Pretty much everything felt a lot less interesting to me as far as the world went, I didn't like a lot of the mechanics changes like having to divert secondary points into the roll to not have it be utterly worthless, and how 2handing a weapon lost its str boost (and instead only halves the requirement to wield it). No ninja flip ring either, and since my favorite thing to do in DS was ninja flip around with the biggest 2-hander I can find and wear some form of dumb looking armor, DS2 stripped away a lot of the playstyle I enjoy. Having to pump a stat to get back to the default iframes is discouraging. I used to like that DS gave you all of your tools out the gate and you could basically go stomp the game at level 1. Boss encounters felt way worse to me, and the game seemed to like to throw this gimmick of "target one thing and attack another" pretty commonly to the point it felt really overdone.

It's not a bad game, but it kind of feels like Demon or Dark Souls with most of the charm sucked out of it to me. I thought dark was a huge upgrade to demons, but DS2 felt like a big step back to me. Like another poster mentioned though, the lows in DS2 aren't as low (bed of chaos, etc) but the highs aren't very high. It just felt kind of sterile to me. I also ran through a huge amount of the areas without ever coming even close to feeling in danger, so some of that excitement was gone too. It felt like they threw a bonfire at you every 5 minutes.

Just my two cents though. A lot of people seem to like the mechanics changes.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 1, 2014

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Started up The Cat Lady. Technically this game is straight out of late 1990s, but the story looks really interesting so far and the whole package, indie as it is, is absolutely something I haven't seen in a game before.

ps: DS2 is simply little different from DS, and still a very good game in its own right. Really appreciate the fact there's a limit to how many times common enemies respawn.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 1, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not a lot of bundle action going on but here are two:

Bundle Stars: Inferno Bundle - $3.99

Urban Trial Freestyle
Jet Car Stunts
Freedom Fall
8bitboy
Orbital Gear
Speed Kills
The Few
Residue: Final Cut
Heavy Fire: Afghanistan

IndieGala Every Monday - $1.89

Jet Gunner
Gold Rush Classic
Al Emmo & the Lost Dutchman's Mine
Spate
Victim of Xen (lmao)

Also of note in the Steam Weeklong Deals: (not much)

Pixeljunk Nom Nom Galaxy - $9.99
Hexcells - $1.01
Medal of Honor: Airborne - $2.49
Inversion - $3.99

I dunno. Not much of a sale week. I guess there's still Amazon's thing.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 1, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I'm a huge fan of demons and dark souls, it's one of my favorite franchises. For some reason though, DS2 did not click at all and I only got to the end recently. Pretty much everything felt a lot less interesting to me as far as the world went, I didn't like a lot of the mechanics changes like having to divert secondary points into the roll to not have it be utterly worthless, and how 2handing a weapon lost its str boost (and instead only halves the requirement to wield it). No ninja flip ring either, and since my favorite thing to do in DS was ninja flip around with the biggest 2-hander I can find and wear some form of dumb looking armor, DS2 stripped away a lot of the playstyle I enjoy. Having to pump a stat to get back to the default iframes is discouraging. I used to like that DS gave you all of your tools out the gate and you could basically go stomp the game at level 1. Boss encounters felt way worse to me, and the game seemed to like to throw this gimmick of "target one thing and attack another" pretty commonly to the point it felt really overdone.

It's not a bad game, but it kind of feels like Demon or Dark Souls with most of the charm sucked out of it to me. I thought dark was a huge upgrade to demons, but DS2 felt like a big step back to me. Like another poster mentioned though, the lows in DS2 aren't as low (bed of chaos, etc) but the highs aren't very high. It just felt kind of sterile to me. I also ran through a huge amount of the areas without ever coming even close to feeling in danger, so some of that excitement was gone too. It felt like they threw a bonfire at you every 5 minutes.

Just my two cents though. A lot of people seem to like the mechanics changes.

People are burned out on the formula too. No matter what it did or didn't do well, it's still very much more of the same. As good as the series is I just felt sick of it by the end of my first playthrough.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

folgore posted:

People are burned out on the formula too. No matter what it did or didn't do well, it's still very much more of the same. As good as the series is I just felt sick of it by the end of my first playthrough.

It's the Batman Arkham City -> Origins effect. Too much of even a good thing is till too loving much when it's the same thing.

Dark Souls even more so because people have been playing 400+ hours of it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
You're on to something. I played about 50 hours of DaS and only about 10 of DeS (my console got shipped off to wherever my brother lives now) so I missed the initial hype wave but I still don't have enough of DSII, and I want more but Bloodborne being a PS4 exclusive makes sure I won't be playing that anytime soon, if ever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anybody tried out Lethal League? I watched the TB video on it and thought it looked pretty cool but 14 bucks sounds hella steep for what you get.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DS2 is funny because it made everyone overlook the flaws of DS1, assigning them to the sequel instead. I fully expect something similar to happen with Bloodborne.

"Oh geez guys, an elevator that goes up but takes you to a basement? loving Dark Souls 2 never had that problem."

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
:psyduck:

Decided to really get into the Drakensang games, since I've wanted to beat them forever. This time went in with pen and paper, made a great character/learned the systems online, everything.

Got a new sword that wasn't the traditional 1d+4 ( 11/4 Strength ) of everything else, and instead said 1w4+4 ( 11/4 Strength ). Checked every guide I could, reread the manual back and forth, everything I could think of to figure out what the w was.

Only to learn from Gamefaqs that the German word for dice is Würfel. IE 1w+4 for rolls. And that the devs decided to translate some weapons, but not all!

Christ, I love this game, but it's like learning DnD through a book that got thrown in a shredder and reassembled.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 1, 2014

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not a lot of bundle action going on but here are two:

Bundle Stars: Inferno Bundle - $3.99

Freedom Fall

This is a short and fun vertically-oriented platformer. Only a couple of hours long but I had a good time with it.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rookersh posted:

Only to learn from Gamefaqs that the German word for dice is Würfel. IE 1w+4 for rolls. And that the devs decided to translate some weapons, but not all!

Christ, I love this game, but it's like learning DnD through a book that got thrown in a shredder and reassembled.

There are a ton of typos like that in River of Time. There's a bunch of skills and stats whose descriptions use conflicting names for things, or explain things incorrectly. Fun!

• Locked thread