Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Hey guys, I have an iPhone 6 on Rogers (canada) that is locked according to the take the sim out, restart and look for the carrier/cellular menu in settings method. What's the cheapest/easiest way to get it unlocked? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

JiUC posted:

Hey guys, I have an iPhone 6 on Rogers (canada) that is locked according to the take the sim out, restart and look for the carrier/cellular menu in settings method. What's the cheapest/easiest way to get it unlocked? Thanks

I'll do this for you for $109. Let me just send you my paypal!

Call Rogers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tuyop posted:

Got the belkin glass one they sell at the Apple Store for a ridiculous $35. Now I don't even notice it because it's actually paper thin and oleophobic and all that poo poo.

The $10 one I bought from the source originally was like .5mm thick and it was noticeable and kind of annoying. Don't remember the brand.

Are the Invisible Shield Glass protectors any good? I've been seeing these a lot at Best Buy and I'm leaning heavily towards buying one, but I want to know how good they are or if they're worth the money.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Are the Invisible Shield Glass protectors any good? I've been seeing these a lot at Best Buy and I'm leaning heavily towards buying one, but I want to know how good they are or if they're worth the money.

They're much thicker than the Belkin Helium one and like twice as expensive. It made Touch ID a bit harder to engage. But the coating felt nicer, somehow. More smooth.

I had a thick one on before getting my phone replaced and it seemed to offer more protection. The bottom had cracked a bit when some students dropped it on pavement, but it was fine underneath. Not sure if the thin one would protect that well.

I can take a macro shot of the thin, Helium one I have on the phone now if you want.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The good thing about buying the Zagg Invisible Shield protectors is that if you ever break it you can take it to a Zagg kiosk at any mall and they'll replace it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BrandonLakeTruck posted:

Don't buy the 5s though. I think you'll like the the 6, I just have a problem that is very specific to someone with small slippery pockets and I refuse to change myself to accommodate a phone.

I disagree; I think the 5S is a pretty decent upgrade over the 5.
I didn't want a phone any larger so I decided not to get a 6, and for less money I get a phone with more storage space.

The OP in this case sounds particularly like someone who doesn't want a hugephone and does want 32GB so I say go for it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Yup, or DualPro black/black which is what I own (http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-DualPro%C2%AE-iPhone-Black/dp/B00MUQ9DLO), the logo is almost invisible unless you're looking for it. It's also kind of a cool typeface anyway.

I'm just glad it doesn't have a cutout for the loving apple. I don't think anything else in life makes me as irrationally angry.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

~Coxy posted:

I didn't want a phone any larger so I decided not to get a 6, and for less money I get a phone with more storage space.

The OP in this case sounds particularly like someone who doesn't want a hugephone and does want 32GB so I say go for it.
Agreed with the 5S. I went from a 5 to a 6, thinking that TouchID was a silly little gimmick. Now between actually having a locked phone and 1Password support, TouchID definitely justifies the 5S over the 5 alone.

I'd edge towards the 6 more than the 5S, although I do wish it was a smidgen smaller.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

~Coxy posted:

Yeah the girl actually did this same debate a month ago and ultimately went 5s because she really liked the size of her 5. She also dislikes the styling of the 6 and how it fits in her hand. Made sense. She's like 4 foot 8 or something and anything bigger just won't fit in a pocket.

Ended up 6+ myself. Excited as could be. Shame I have to wait till Monday.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Has anyone ever experienced issues with the iPhone 6 headphones?
The left speaker stopped working. I though it was the headphones that went bad but it's with all headphones I have and they all work fine in other devices..

Could this warrant a replacement? There is one nick in a corner from a drop. But it's below the threshold for visual inspection.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It should be grounds for a replacement, but first use a toothpick or something to see if maybe there's a bit of lint stuck in there causing the issue.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Yeah, that's always been a lint issue for me.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

just_a_guy posted:

Could this warrant a replacement? There is one nick in a corner from a drop. But it's below the threshold for visual inspection.

I wouldn't worry about the nick in the corner being a problem for getting a replacement. I had a similar issue with the lightning port working off and on for charging and it turned out that there was a significant amount of lint built up in there. Took a pin and cleaned it out carefully and haven't had a problem since. Hopefully that works out for you.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hey guys, I've got a problem on iPhone 6. Touch ID is not unlocking my phone when it should be.

Sometimes, when the phone is unlocked and I touch my thumb to the sensor/press the home button,, it goes to the passcode screen. After touching the sensor again, all 4 dots turn white indicating the finger has been verified, but the phone does not unlock. After trying it multiple times nothing changes, and when I finally type in my passcode, the phone unlocks without any issue. Though I have several touch ID related jailbroken apps, I have disabled them all with no result.

Any theories on what's happening or how to fix it? This happens pretty frequently. And no, it's not a situation where I haven't unlocked the phone for 48 hours or another case where Touch ID is not supposed to work. I think it happens most often when the phone is plugged in.

P.S. Unrelated, but I found in official Apple documentation that the fewer fingers you have enrolled, the faster touch ID will work. That seems to be the case, I deleted three other fingers to leave only both of my thumbs, and it's verifying about a half second faster every unlock.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5883 "With each additional finger that you enroll, it may take slightly longer for Touch ID to recognize your finger when you use it."

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 15, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Take it back to Apple.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Hey guys, I've got a problem on iPhone 6. Touch ID is not unlocking my phone when it should be.

Sometimes, when the phone is unlocked and I touch my thumb to the sensor/press the home button,, it goes to the passcode screen. After touching the sensor again, all 4 dots turn white indicating the finger has been verified, but the phone does not unlock. After trying it multiple times nothing changes, and when I finally type in my passcode, the phone unlocks without any issue. Though I have several touch ID related jailbroken apps, I have disabled them all with no result.

Any theories on what's happening or how to fix it? This happens pretty frequently. And no, it's not a situation where I haven't unlocked the phone for 48 hours or another case where Touch ID is not supposed to work. I think it happens most often when the phone is plugged in.

P.S. Unrelated, but I found in official Apple documentation that the fewer fingers you have enrolled, the faster touch ID will work. That seems to be the case, I deleted three other fingers to leave only both of my thumbs, and it's verifying about a half second faster every unlock.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5883 "With each additional finger that you enroll, it may take slightly longer for Touch ID to recognize your finger when you use it."

You're jail broken? Restore to stock and try again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Michael Scott posted:

Though I have several touch ID related jailbroken apps

This right here is a huge red flag.

Blast your phone back to factory defaults and update with most recent OS. DO NOT restore from a backup. Setup Touch ID and see how it works for a few days. If it's still broken, take it to an Apple Store.

Do that first because if you take it to an Apple Store it's the first thing they'll do anyway. This poo poo really needs to be in bright red blinking text at the top of every page because it's the first thing you do whenever you suspect there's a problem.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Try disabling ALL of your jailbreak tweaks and see how things work then. There's no way to restore to a version of iOS that's jailbreakable now so don't immediately jump to a restore.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Has anyone had a problem with the lightning port on their 5s going bad? I've got a Genius Bar appointment, but they can't get me in till Tuesday.

About three months ago I noticed that's phone wouldn't always charge when I first plugged it in and would require me to try several times to get it to work. When it's not charging, my computer won't see it either (obviously).

I've already tried cleaning the port out with a toothpick, tried several different chargers and cables and it's still the same thing (which is why I figure I've got a bad port). I don't think it's all the cables as the cable will sometimes "just work" and later won't if try to plug the same cable back in. I can't see any obvious corrosion, but it hasn't been submerged (though I do wear it on an armband when running).

I already did a full wipe and also a restore because I've got time to burn, but is there anything else worth trying in the meantime? I don't have any other devices to confirm that I'm incredibly unlucky to have multiple chargers and cables all go bad at once.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So is it alright to ask in this thread about how to clear the drat "Other" junk off of my iPhone? I've got 13.3 gigs of the poo poo, and I've been going crazy for over a week trying to get rid of this nonsense.

It's a 60 GB iPhone 5 on the latest OS, with iTunes on the most recent version as well if that matters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Stop looking at the window that says how much "other" there is.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

http://phoneexpander.com/

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is this only for Macs? I don't use a Mac. :(

withak posted:

Stop looking at the window that says how much "other" there is.

I can't exactly ignore it when it takes up over 13 gigs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Michael Scott: for the record I just returned my 6+ to Apple for touchID issues last night. Within 2 weeks of recording my thumbprints and indexes it starts to forget them one by one. I re-record, etc... Same issue.The genius was polite and explained that Apple believes the touchID cannot work for everyone. Some people have scars or dry skin or oily skin or cuts or any number of things.

That explanation made sense to me, however ultimately, and with very minor pushback he relented and swap my phone. We'll see how it goes with this new one... But the symptoms (dots filling) were identical to yours.

No jailbreak, latest iOS version.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

I can't exactly ignore it when it takes up over 13 gigs.

Why not? It doesn't matter until you can't do something because you are out of space.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Raxivace posted:

You disgusting creature.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

withak posted:

Why not? It doesn't matter until you can't do something because you are out of space.

Well, I actually am out of space and can't put 13+ gigs of stuff on my phone as a result.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, 13 gigs is a huge amount of "Other".

If you have the time you can restore your phone and let it resync everything. That cleared that out for me constantly when iTunes was being a bear with music syncing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ugh, I was really hoping to not have to restore it to factory settings and recopy everything back on there, but I'm not sure I have much other choice.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's not a factory restore (other than relearning your thumbprints and bluetooth devices), the backup brings it right back to how it was, minus the media.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ah, well I had tried restoring from Backups before and the huge Other data was still there.

Just now I tried restoring to factory settings and then restoring from a Backup, so we'll see how successful that is.

EDIT: Well that got rid of most of Other at least. Down to 1.08 gigs now. Higher than I'd like but it is manageable. Time to start syncing.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 16, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I don't use a Mac either. I wish there was a Windows version of this. I've been using PhoneClean for a while, but recently it decided to not recognize my iPhone anymore for some reason. It tells me to install drivers and I do what it says but it never finds my phone even though iTunes recognizes it without any hassle :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Feenix posted:

Michael Scott: for the record I just returned my 6+ to Apple for touchID issues last night. Within 2 weeks of recording my thumbprints and indexes it starts to forget them one by one. I re-record, etc... Same issue.The genius was polite and explained that Apple believes the touchID cannot work for everyone. Some people have scars or dry skin or oily skin or cuts or any number of things.

That explanation made sense to me, however ultimately, and with very minor pushback he relented and swap my phone. We'll see how it goes with this new one... But the symptoms (dots filling) were identical to yours.

No jailbreak, latest iOS version.

We just replaced a 5s for this issue.
TouchID would not accept a finger print from myself or the girlfriend. We could get to that last little spot in the center but it would never finalize. And the girl at the apple store said a similar thing. But me unlocking my ipad mini 3 after being unable to sync my finger print to the 5s had her ready to "Repair" it or whatever. Thankfully she was fine with us being in a hurry and just swapping it out. New one, First shot worked on the girls hand. I think those sensors are just flaky. This one lasted almost 1 full year or something.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I have a 6+ Silver/64 GB in mint condition and I am looking to essentially trade it for a 6. Is there a good website that facilitates this sort of thing? Is it a problem if the device is activated on Verizon's network?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

1024x768 posted:

I have a 6+ Silver/64 GB in mint condition and I am looking to essentially trade it for a 6. Is there a good website that facilitates this sort of thing? Is it a problem if the device is activated on Verizon's network?

Swappa is probably your best bet.

Also, it's not a problem, it's a benefit, because you're holding a fully unlocked device and can sell it as such.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
So my mom seems to be having the issue with runaway data on her AT&T 6 on 8.1.3 has there been any consensus on possible fixes?

I clean restored, turned off background app refresh, turned off cellular date for App store etc., from the settings page no apps appear to be using any significant amount of data, she's always home on wifi. Yet she keeps getting texts from AT&T warning her about data usage and they keep tacking on extra data at $15 a pop.

I don't quite think I could definitively say it started as soon as she update to 8.1.3 but I'm pretty sure she never had any issues before the update.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

da weed wizard posted:

So my mom seems to be having the issue with runaway data on her AT&T 6 on 8.1.3 has there been any consensus on possible fixes?

I clean restored, turned off background app refresh, turned off cellular date for App store etc., from the settings page no apps appear to be using any significant amount of data, she's always home on wifi. Yet she keeps getting texts from AT&T warning her about data usage and they keep tacking on extra data at $15 a pop.

I don't quite think I could definitively say it started as soon as she update to 8.1.3 but I'm pretty sure she never had any issues before the update.

If you go to Settings>Cellular and scroll to the bottom, it will tell you all the apps that are allowed to use cellular data. It will also list the how much they've used. If you've never used that before, you'll want to hit "reset statistics" since the numbers are cumulative. There's also a section to how much iOS has used via Systems Service at the bottom of the list.

You can also control cellular usage on an app by app basis here.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005

flosofl posted:

If you go to Settings>Cellular and scroll to the bottom, it will tell you all the apps that are allowed to use cellular data. It will also list the how much they've used. If you've never used that before, you'll want to hit "reset statistics" since the numbers are cumulative. There's also a section to how much iOS has used via Systems Service at the bottom of the list.

You can also control cellular usage on an app by app basis here.

Yeah that's what I was referring to when I mentioned the settings page, I've done exactly that and no apps have used any significant amount of data since I've reset the statistics. System services the most but still nothing.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Sprint iPhones (5c, 5s, 6, 6+) can now be fully Domestic SIM Unlocked, rather than just International SIM unlocked for foreign travel.
  • Any associated Service Agreement, Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including payment in full of any applicable early termination fees or end-of-lease purchase options
  • The associated account is in good standing
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

These Sprint iPhones have all the LTE bands that the Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile versions have plus a few more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

da weed wizard posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to when I mentioned the settings page, I've done exactly that and no apps have used any significant amount of data since I've reset the statistics. System services the most but still nothing.

Well, there may be data issues with the latest version, but this is the first I've heard of it if there is. You can try turning off cell data in general and watch her account page and see if the usage still goes up.