Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

im on the net me boys posted:

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but you didn't have your credit reports locked when you applied did you?

:doh:

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My Chase card had a 10% targeted offer for one purchase at Best Buy, so I made an online purchase and went to pick it up, and then stupid me I made another purchase in store with the same card. Of course the reward applied to the smaller purchase, so I called the card line and they said they had no idea what I was talking about, and they didn't know who I could talk to to get it resolved, so I just closed the account. Why have an offer for a credit card if the card doesn't even know about it?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Chase has some of the most awful customer service and I will never open a card with them because of it

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Chase has some of the most awful customer service and I will never open a card with them because of it

This, but B of America

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That's what makes extracting rewards money from them and giving nothing back so delicious.

Anecdotal, but I've only had good customer service experiences with Chase. BofA is the one that's constantly an exercise in anger management, and in spite of that I still have a business card with them that lives in the desk drawer unused now that it has given up its intro bonus.

Don't close accounts, it hurts your score slightly in the long run and doesn't mean a drat thing to them, while keeping it open costs you nothing and increases their maintenance burden ever so slightly. Just get their money and move on, and if you want to vote with your wallet/participation, do it by putting your regular spending on cards from the banks you do appreciate.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
a while ago i opened a sofi account to buy some stonk that was temp banned on robinhood (lol) and thought the platform was pretty cool. they also put their name on the home of the rams (double lol) so i figured hey why not. anyways i applied for their card and they gave me a badass limit with way lower apr than anyone else. then again my credit has improved substantially since i got my other cards so ymmv but there's that. not bad rewards. 2% cash back, pretty deece reckon and their points icon is a gem graphic which appeals to my gamer brain.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
The SoFi card isn’t bad, but personally I don’t know that I want an account with a fintech company that’s going public via SPAC. Also not being able to redeem the points they give you as that 2% for the same value to pay your card is not cool (effective 1% rate if you use the points this way).

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The SoFi card isn’t bad, but personally I don’t know that I want an account with a fintech company that’s going public via SPAC. Also not being able to redeem the points they give you as that 2% for the same value to pay your card is not cool (effective 1% rate if you use the points this way).

whoa thats hosed up.

another hosed up thing is they dont offer color choices. why do none of these idiots let me pick a cooler color. on google images there was a blue one and a white one. i wanted the white one. but no. but not. there was no option.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

whoa thats hosed up.

another hosed up thing is they dont offer color choices. why do none of these idiots let me pick a cooler color. on google images there was a blue one and a white one. i wanted the white one. but no. but not. there was no option.

You might have seen pictures of their debit card (white) that's part of their SoFi Money account. Early adopters got free ATM refunds, but that's not offered anymore from what I understand.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Smythe posted:

whoa thats hosed up.

If you're really bummed about how your card looks you can buy a skin for it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of Chase offers, they’ve had some decent ones lately. Like 10% cash back on PetCo and Big Lots, which are pretty painless to take advantage of. Also if you plan on signing up for any streaming service, there is often an offer to get the first month cost back.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

If you're really bummed about how your card looks you can buy a skin for it

lol yea, I fished that up when Tori asked for it to make his poo poo look like EBT or something. No comment on that, lmao.

astral posted:

You might have seen pictures of their debit card (white) that's part of their SoFi Money account. Early adopters got free ATM refunds, but that's not offered anymore from what I understand.

hosed up

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Kinda made an impulse decision and got the Amex Plat with the 100k bonus and now I'm kinda regretting it since dealing with points isn't as easy as just straight up cashback.

What's the best use for points, in your opinion? I'll be moving to Atlanta in a few months and will probably fly out from there once or twice a year.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Kinda made an impulse decision and got the Amex Plat with the 100k bonus and now I'm kinda regretting it since dealing with points isn't as easy as just straight up cashback.

What's the best use for points, in your opinion? I'll be moving to Atlanta in a few months and will probably fly out from there once or twice a year.

The "best" use for Amex points is transferring them to hotel and flight partners. You can get up to 1.75x value sometimes.

Probably not much that comes close to that value with the points.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

If you really want cash for points you can get the Schwab plat later and cash them out for 1.25 cents per point. But I think the best value is transfer for travel. For example, you can transfer 60k points to Virgin Atlantic to book a flight on ANA.
Also if anyone is looking for a new card and wants to spruce up their house, the home improvement credit on the gold is really good! Made a $200 purchase at Home Depot and only had to pay tax.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The "best" use for Amex points is transferring them to hotel and flight partners. You can get up to 1.75x value sometimes.

Probably not much that comes close to that value with the points.

I can usually spend my Amex points at Delta and get 350-450$$ for 25k points, or ~1.6 cents/point value. If you primarily earn points via purchased airfare thats almost 8% back net on 5k in spend.

I agree though, its much more of a PITA to get that value compared to a direct cash-back card.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has anyone used the Venmo credit card? They keep emailing me about it so I looked into it and am somewhat confused about the rewards program (https://venmo.com/about/creditcard/rewards/).

It appears they give you 3% back on whatever your top spending category is, but it seems like it would be very tedious to try and figure out what stuff fits into which categories and I also can't find how often they change around the category rankings based on your spending.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Badger of Basra posted:

Has anyone used the Venmo credit card? They keep emailing me about it so I looked into it and am somewhat confused about the rewards program (https://venmo.com/about/creditcard/rewards/).

It appears they give you 3% back on whatever your top spending category is, but it seems like it would be very tedious to try and figure out what stuff fits into which categories and I also can't find how often they change around the category rankings based on your spending.

I have this card and it sucks rear end. Most purchases are going to end up as “other” so unless you use the card for like two very specific categories you’re going to not get very much out of it. The category rankings change instantly as purchases clear so whatever you spent the most on in a billing cycle will be on top.
I compared this card with one that I get 2-3% back on (Apple Card) a few months ago and found on overage I get a better rewards rate with the Apple Card. If you want a category specific card you should go for it, but you’re probably going to lose out with Venmo. Also the card management in the app goes down like all the time!
On the upside, they raised my limit a lot without me asking so it’s not all bad, but it was just a starter card for me. I’d recommend an Amex for category spending or the Citi Doublecash or Apple Card for no thinking about it cash back.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

FunOne posted:

I agree though, its much more of a PITA to get that value compared to a direct cash-back card.

I often get FOMO browsing through some reader success stories about points redemption and wondering if I am min/maxing my cards enough. But with a big family and specific travel needs, non of the travel redemption stuff ever made much sense. When in doubt, I just put stuff on our Citi Doublecash and call it a day.

Now that I am emerging from my Covid quarantine fog, I realize I have points & miles littered all over the damned place. A few US Bank points here, some AA/Delta/Alaska miles there. I think I'm just going to donate the bulk of everything to Miles 4 Migrants and streamline my life with Chase and cashback cards. Life's too short and all that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

VorpalBunny posted:

I often get FOMO browsing through some reader success stories about points redemption and wondering if I am min/maxing my cards enough. But with a big family and specific travel needs, non of the travel redemption stuff ever made much sense. When in doubt, I just put stuff on our Citi Doublecash and call it a day.

Now that I am emerging from my Covid quarantine fog, I realize I have points & miles littered all over the damned place. A few US Bank points here, some AA/Delta/Alaska miles there. I think I'm just going to donate the bulk of everything to Miles 4 Migrants and streamline my life with Chase and cashback cards. Life's too short and all that.

Feel free to use the goon ref sheet:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

If you have something on it, please check, a lot of the links have expired.
:siren::siren::siren:On Friday I'm going to check them all purge what doesn't work.:siren::siren::siren:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'm not seeing any duplication, is it okay for me to add my referral links if that card is already represented by another goon?

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for making this, and goonspeed trying to test and clear all of these out. :ohdear:

Edit to the edit: "click to shuffle" isn't working for me.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 27, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can you add a referral tab for Amex Plat?

Honestly anyone applying right now should shop around for the 100k or 125k bonus offers (there's also third offer where they just straight up give you $300 statement credit against restaurant purchases), but if you can't get it then you might as well help a fellow goon out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Unsinkabear posted:

Edit to the edit: "click to shuffle" isn't working for me.

Fixed!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Can you add a referral tab for Amex Plat?

Added!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

All of my referral links are updated.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Since we’re adding new stuff to referrals, any thoughts on adding non-traditional stuff like Venmo or Robinhood?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The Venmo card is kinda cool, I like how it auto-janitors your cash back categories for you. Then again it looks really derpy, so I must pass. Shame, really.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Smythe posted:

The Venmo card is kinda cool, I like how it auto-janitors your cash back categories for you. Then again it looks really derpy, so I must pass. Shame, really.

I really like the QR code design but as an actual card it’s just my backup visa and nothing else.

Discover finally gave me pre-approval for the two of their cards and I’m looking at the 5% revolving category card. Not sure if I’m going to get it or not

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

I really like the QR code design but as an actual card it’s just my backup visa and nothing else.

Discover finally gave me pre-approval for the two of their cards and I’m looking at the 5% revolving category card. Not sure if I’m going to get it or not

the It card was the first one i ever got and i liked it a lot but some places didnt take it (discover card joke here) and im too stupid to janitor the categories so i was never able to min/max it. also hosed up my finances spending on two cards if a place dint take discover rip.

i pick up the phone for theatre reservations throughout the week since im too cheap to pay someone else to do it and volume is real low anymore and i always enjoy the rare occasion someone rolls out the discover. exquisite taste. a little quirky. i like it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I went for it and they gave me a $4,500 line which is bigger than all my other cards combined lol

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That Venmo card aesthetic looks rad as hell, but I imagine the amount of stuff that gets categorized as Other or a one-off category ensures that it pays out less over a course of a year than a flat rate card that just gives you 2+% on everything.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Unsinkabear posted:

That Venmo card aesthetic looks rad as hell, but I imagine the amount of stuff that gets categorized as Other or a one-off category ensures that it pays out less over a course of a year than a flat rate card that just gives you 2+% on everything.

I did the math on mine and this is absolutely how it worked out. It’s literally just my backup card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you want a 3%-on-some-stuff card, the BoA Cash Rewards one they're renaming lets you pick your 3% category, like "Online Purchases". If you participate in their preferred rewards (park money in boa/merril), it's even more than 3%.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

My wife and I need to get a card that's just for quotidian household expenses (Amazon, groceries, gas, etc). After some looking around it seems like Citi Double Cash or AMEX BCP are the best options. The annual fee on the AMEX isn't a dealbreaker, we will definitely spend $3k in the first 3 months to qualify for the AMEX new account bonus, and our credit scores range between 775 and 810 depending on the service, so qualifying isn't a concern.

Any caveats or things we should be on the lookout for? Also open to suggestions for other cards if there are incentives right now that are better for cards with meant for similar usages.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Citi Double Cash has like no benefits now; recommend avoiding it. There are some other 2% cards out there and most of them have better benefits.

Blue Cash Preferred is a good pickup. Chase might still be doing 5% UR back on groceries for their first year on their Freedom line; I haven't looked recently to know for sure, but if so that's definitely worth doing since UR can pretty easily be worth more than one cent per point.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Mat Cauthon posted:

My wife and I need to get a card that's just for quotidian household expenses (Amazon, groceries, gas, etc). After some looking around it seems like Citi Double Cash or AMEX BCP are the best options. The annual fee on the AMEX isn't a dealbreaker, we will definitely spend $3k in the first 3 months to qualify for the AMEX new account bonus, and our credit scores range between 775 and 810 depending on the service, so qualifying isn't a concern.

Any caveats or things we should be on the lookout for? Also open to suggestions for other cards if there are incentives right now that are better for cards with meant for similar usages.

I absolutely love the BCP and almost got it instead of the Gold. If you plan on spending more than $6k on grocery in the year, you can also have the no fee BCE to switch to for 3% after you hit the cap on the BCP.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think the Amazon card gives 5% back on Amazon with no fee (think there are at least two variations not sure the difference).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CubicalSucrose posted:

I think the Amazon card gives 5% back on Amazon with no fee (think there are at least two variations not sure the difference).

It's whether you have Prime or not. If you have Prime, you get 5% (and sometimes more on various promos) which makes it a no-brainer. If you don't it's 1% and you can do way better.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
It's 3% if you don't have prime. Chase and discover do 5% promos, usually at different times of the year I think, so if you have all three it's not a huge rewards loss

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's currently an insane publicly-available signup bonus on the personal Amex Platinum, with an even wilder version that you can be individually targeted for if you're lucky (details for that one in the link also), both of which include 10x points on groceries for the first six months.

You could take advantage of that, wring out every possible dollar from its many bonuses/perks in the first year, and then product convert it down to a Blue Cash Preferred/Everyday in year 2 to dodge the second annual fee and end up with a long-term grocery card. I bring this up because you asked about caveats/warnings and I have seen it mentioned in a couple places that you should do the Platinum first if you plan to ever get it from them, although I'm honestly not clear on why... most lenders prefer that you already have a relationship with them before they hand out the big cards.

As for BCP vs BCE vs 2% card, pull your expenses for a year and actually do the math on how many real world dollars you would have gotten back from each one. Make sure to include the annual fee in your calculation for BCP. You might be surprised by which one ends up on top... that annual fee is hungry, and if you just want one card for the household, 2% on everything is often very hard to beat. I agree with Astral that the DoubleCash is to be avoided these days, the reason you still see it recommended is that 99% of "review" sites are affiliates who get paid by Citi to promote it. There are a lot of places like Fidelity and Alliant that are offering alternative 2% cards that are just fine if you already work with them, but this one from SDFCU is my favorite right now. No foreign transaction fees, no annual fees, actual cash back and not points that can be devalued or made difficult to redeem, and no bullshit about how/when you can get it (Alliant has a $50 redemption minimum, Fidelity will only let you put the cash back into a money market account with them, Paypal requires the same but Paypal so it's worse, etc). You can even choose whether you want chip-and-pin or chip-and-signature for card security, which most people don't travel enough to care about but I still think is neat.

Or, if you don't need that and don't mind a slower approval process where you'll have to jump through some weird hoops like joining an affiliate group to qualify for membership (there's a bike club you can pay $5 for one month of membership with, just to have a document that says you're a member during signup) and sending them a selfie along with your documents, you can get a buck wild, unlimited, 3% cash back on all spending from AOD FCU. I think that's the best single-card solution that exists.

If want to janitor (as Smythe calls it) a few different cards to get the best bonus you can on your different spending categories, the answer will change a bit based on your specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

astral posted:

If you want a 3%-on-some-stuff card, the BoA Cash Rewards one they're renaming lets you pick your 3% category, like "Online Purchases". If you participate in their preferred rewards (park money in boa/merril), it's even more than 3%.

I don't think any of the BofA cards are ever worth recommending atm outside of their signup bonuses, for two reasons: First, CaptainJuan's logic about rewards loss applies here too. With so many easily-accessible flat-rate 2% cards out there (and the 3% one I mentioned above that I think should be accessible to most people itt), 3% on a single category of choice isn't worth spending an application on. For most couples, that extra 1% on any single category would be worth less (often a lot less) than $100 per year. The only exception is groceries for a big family, and that's what the BCP is for. Instead, they could be getting a 5% rotating category card, a big signup bonus, or the US Bank card that lets you get a big fat 5% in TWO categories of your choice.

The only exception would be Merril customers, and that's where reason two comes in: it's less objective than the above, but I really don't feel good about the thread suggesting that people park $100k of their retirement with a company that has shown decades of remarkably consistent eagerness to take every possible opportunity to bend their customers over a barrel for the sake of shareholder value. When safer customer-owned alternatives like Vanguard exist, that's not worth an extra fraction of a percentage point of cash back vs the other credit cards available. Merril IS BofA at this point, and that level of investment is a big chunk of the future for a lot of people. It's also a type of investment that many want to set-and-forget, which is exactly what BofA wants you to do: slide into being a longtime victim customer, because it's enough of a hassle to move out of their ecosystem once you're there that you just rationalize staying instead.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 6, 2021