Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to get one of those lances that the jetbikers have to convert my Emp Children Champion with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Was up to 2 am... got no where. To people who think Wolves are "very" strong I suggest writing a list. If spamming marines was a viable strategy people would have been doing that already instead of doing everything in their power to bypass tacs and taking just enough vets to get a job done.

I think both RoW are a no go, people are failing to realize that the seeming "light" restrictions on the RoW and LA:Space wolves are compounded by the inbuilt restrictions to the army lists. For example priests can't take jump packs/bikes/jetbikes, meaning we are severly limited in units that they can be placed in. Grey Slayers can't have character support not even an apothecary. Only Speakers of the Dead can join Deathsworn, so we are looking at taking anywhere between 4 and 5 infantry units, in a game that now includes an 18 S:D nova. Take a look at the armylist forum I doubt you find a lists that has two responses before someone suggests trimming the fat and adding more armour. Guilty's 3x Drop Levi's are giving me a nervous break down.

I'll be spending today looking at OA likely, maybe just air dropping a Primarch into the opponents army will work. Its not how I would prefer to play but alas it seems to be FW intent that this is how I will play my wolves under 3k.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Wait why the gently caress are pup players crying?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
lol ok Sun Zu put forward your insights. I've spent probaby the last 18 hours writing lists no stop. The op isn't there, and I'm pushing back against the idea that it is. If its whining to disagee than ya I'm whinin just call me Baby Baluc.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Their unique terminators are basically unusable.

Other than that ????????

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm assuming B&C

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

lol ok Sun Zu put forward your insights. I've spent probaby the last 18 hours writing lists no stop. The op isn't there, and I'm pushing back against the idea that it is. If its whining to disagee than ya I'm whinin just call me Baby Baluc.

It's dope that you had the response too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If massed ifantry marines we're a valid strategy I think we would have seen it already be done by WE who have a significantly tougher marines. I'm talking about The Crimson Path. Bare in mind for lots of people events like Adepticon, or local tournaments are the majority of their gaming time. Not everyone has a group of friends who they play narrative games with, so keep your privilege under control.

What is your plan for when your Grey Slayers get assaulted by a fluffy Contemptor Cortus? Or assaulting into cover? Or a Spartan, or any AV14 vehicle? Do you only play against legion armies? Your army is very vulnerable to even the fluffiest of SA armies, and Thanatar will love you. Your list will look great on a shelf but will it pay the bills? 1 unit of 3 Quad mortars removes 14 marines in one volley.

I wish there were units of Fenrisian wolves available as non-compulsory, non-scoring troops, would actually the infantry game much more playable.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BULBASAUR posted:

I wish there were units of Fenrisian wolves available as non-compulsory, non-scoring troops, would actually the infantry game much more playable.

Same.

Awuuuuuuu

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You'd think this was B&C, but it's actually Stanyer89 from slack

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I always make sure to check my narrative privilege

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Here's a list I cooked up in about 10 minutes after wrangling with quartermaster for an hour.

Praetor on jetbike with TH/Paragon, lasers, bomb, IH.
2xSpeakers with aether armor and great frost swords.

3x10 vets in drop pods with 2 HBs, vexilla, artificer armor, power fist and sarge melta. 3 combi-meltas in each squad

7 deathsworn with TH

3 Javs with MM pintle

4 skyslayer jetbikes with MM

2 dreadclaws

Leman Russ with command squad. 2 chains and 1 LC pair- RoW: Orbital Assault

Comes out to 2995. Don't go to 3000 because then you need 4 HQs (forgeworld why :negative:)

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 6, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

One Speaker goes with the Deathsworn, the other with ???

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

One Speaker goes with the Deathsworn, the other with ???

Leman and the command squad.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Finished the Heresy event at LVO and took 6th. Was an awesome weekend, the games were good too. I'll try and collect all the pics I took.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Leman and the command squad.

Oh I missed the Command Squad; dual lightning claws is a trap. Two single claws is better because you don't lose your shooting - but two Power Fists would probably be even more ideal if they're with Russ and an Apothecary. Multiple meltaguns might get you hosed against Flare Shields but Russ will probably carve those up like a can of tuna with the command squad.

panascope fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 6, 2017

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The Great Wolf Culling of Yarant B&C

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Heres anorher list I cooked up. Uses the 2nd SW RoW.

Praetor: Paragon blade (master-crafted); thunder hammer; melta bombs; digital lasers; refractor field; Scimitar Jetbike 240
Priest Of Fenris: Aetheric Armor; Great Frost Blade 160
Hvarl 210

9 Veteran Space Marines: 2× combi-weapon; legion vexilla; 2× heavy bolter and suspensor web; + 1 Veteran Sergeant (artificer armour; combi-weapon; power fist) 265
Rhino 35
9 Veteran Space Marines: 2× combi-weapon; legion vexilla; 2× heavy bolter and suspensor web; + 1 Veteran Sergeant (artificer armour; combi-weapon; power fist) 265
Rhino 35
15 Grey Slayers: 15× Bolter; Huscarl (Frost Weapon; Artificer armor; Melta Bombs) 235
15 Grey Slayers: 15× Bolter; Huscarl (Frost Weapon; Artificer armor; Melta Bombs) 235

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod 115
Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron
Javelin Attack Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta 65

3 Jetbike Sky Slayers 165

Leman Russ 455
4 Space Marine Chosen: power weapon; power fist; melta bombs; + 1 Standard Bearer 155

3.000 points

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

Finished the Heresy event at LVO and took 6th. Was an awesome weekend, the games were good too. I'll try and collect all the pics I took.

Iron Warrior supremacy. What were the other top armies?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

quote:

Wolves players: I've read so much pissing and moaning about how long its taken for Inferno to come out with your rules, and now you have them. And yes, I know it's mostly a vocal minority, but I'm sick of seeing reports regarding Wolves players being offended by something. Now I come home to find a huge bunch of pissing and moaning about the new rules and a bunch of reported posts. This will not fly and I will be merciless to hide any further such posts without notice.

Wolf threads locked indefinitely, 48 hours after their rules are released

awuuuuu

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Legion of pissbabies

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
sup Stanyer

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The B&C thread was convinced that wolves were getting a special 30k supplement because the Inferno rules didn't do them justice. Naturally they'll get their own, no other legion has but of course the Mary awuuuuus will.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Wtf are these babies going on about? My first impression (haven't studied in detail) is that wolves are top tier instantly? Those frost blades poo poo on death guard special scythes! Russ seems to be better than Horus in CC. their terminators are a bit meh but can all have heavy weapons which is baller.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Unless the reason is because Inferno only covers half of the story, and the second half includes Wulfen, Bjorn, Drop Pods, Russ' immunity to psychic powers, and an actual real life drinking horn full of Mjod to compensate for making us wait for a second book, I fear his "reason" may not satisfy the Vylka.

quote:

Because the lore sections are written from an outsiders perspective, the wulfen were essentially sidelined. From a rules perspective, this is the Wolves during the timeframe of Prospero being razed, and the Wulfen weren't as 'Wulfen' up until that point - that's why FW did not do a dedicated unit for them, essentially they were still Astartes hiding symptoms. The events of Prospero were what eventually triggered the mass change into the more recognisable Wulfen, and Alan Bligh made a decent comment that when fighting on a battlefield that is falling outside of the realms of time and space there are going to be consequences, and that when you fight to achieve something you have to, at times, sacrifice something in the process. For the Wolves achieving the win over the Thousand Sons, the mass change to the Wulfen were indicative of that sacrifice.

So there is wiggle room to add them in the future. But as for the legion as we have them now, do not get your hopes up. This is my view not an observation from the weekender

quote:

That is utter bullcrap and ignores what happens in A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns.

I guess if "alternative facts" have invaded politics, why shouldnt they invade my hobby as well

quote:

Cool, so in that case, no red thirsted Detah company for Blood Angels then?

After all Sangy kept them hidden and was executing them when they turned. Except Horus found out about it and tried to use it against them. A narrator would NOT know about that would they?

And DA should not expect 6+ new RoW and specific legion units for each of their "wings"?

No way, stuff got dropped because FW went into full on gold man mode.. then for no reason went Ooooh!! pri-titans. It was not at Prospero but throw it in anyway

The book got big so Wolves got shanked..

quote:

I understand that, he really is the Space Wolf that springs to mind when someone says Horus Heresy. But the point is that the book represents the Vlka Fenryka during the Burning of Prospero, not during all of the Heresy. The book is a "Historic Recreation" of the incident, if you will. You wouldn't put Stalin and his troops into a historical supplement that is supposed to portray Russia during the time of Ivan the Terrible (About 900 years earlier), would you?

quote:

If Stalin was active in the time of Ivan the terrible like Bjorn was on Prospero, you can be sure any good historian would find that noteworthy subject to comment on.

Bjorn would have been a totally appropiate (and probably contemporarily relevant) Prospero participant for a historian covering the subject to investigate.

:allears:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Heres anorher list I cooked up. Uses the 2nd SW RoW.

Praetor: Paragon blade (master-crafted); thunder hammer; melta bombs; digital lasers; refractor field; Scimitar Jetbike 240
Priest Of Fenris: Aetheric Armor; Great Frost Blade 160
Hvarl 210

Rhino 35
Rhino 35

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod 115
Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

3 Jetbike Sky Slayers 165

Leman Russ 455
4 Space Marine Chosen: power weapon; power fist; melta bombs; + 1 Standard Bearer 155

3.000 points

Double Howl looks pretty loving rad, but Hvarl probably doesn't get you too much since you can already Outflank everything but the Slayers (and Outflanking more stuff might be dangerous at 3k points). Geigor could be pretty sweet here if you get the charge since you'll be WS7/I6/S6 with your sweet AP2 weapon. I'm still sold on Power Fists in Grey Slayer squads. The Standard probably won't be great since it's only a 6" range and Russ already gives Fearless as well as the Priest. It's too bad the first RoW prohibits Drop Pods because it would be perfect for you otherwise, with the bonus to reserves and Rage for assaults into ongoing combats.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

Wolf threads locked indefinitely, 48 hours after their rules are released

awuuuuu

bawwwuuuu :(

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I really do not understand the immense salt. The rules are fine???

Awwuuuu!???

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

bawwwuuuuuuuu

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As further evidence that Inferno needed more time in editing, let's talk about these guys

So what's wrong with them?
* Their statline is for some reason different than other custodes; they're I4, not the standard 5. Weren't they all I4 in the temporary rules? That made Preternatural Skill (+1I if your WS is equal to or greater than your opponents') actually matter.
* They have a special rule that allows them to fire each of their weapons, but their bike only has one and the riders only carry grenades.
* The bikes come armed with an Iliastus bolt cannon. This weapon does not exist. Lastrum bolt cannons do, however.
* Power Lances

:lol:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
They're also riding a big golden penis

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
He was talking about what was wrong with them.

Great going thread. I am having another poo poo Monday morning made better by the outrage at misrepresentation of make believe space history. ''Tis truly a great time to be alive.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
holy gently caress all those space wolf players

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Alright, getting my feet wet with the Thousand Sons.

Starting at a low 1000 points:

HQ
Delegatus (140)
- Rite of War: Chosen Duty
- Arcana: Corvidae (Re-roll 1's if stood still in previous movement phase)
- ML1 Divination (Harness on 3+)
- Jetbike, Refractor

TROOPS
10x Veterans (250)
- Arcana: Corvidae
- ML1 Divination
- Asphyx Shells (Shred on bolters and bolter firing modes)
- AA, Rhino

10x Veterans (250)
- ML1 Divination
- Asphyx Shells
- AA, Rhino

FAST ATTACK
3x Skyhunter Jetbikes (145)
- Arcana: Raptora (Inv 6++)
- Volkite

This is 785 points.

Option 1:
Deredeo with Aiolos (215) for exactly 1000 points. Or...

Option 2:
2x Rapiers with Laser Destroyer Arrays (110)

1x Javelin with Cyclones and 2x HK Missiles (65)

And the left over 30 points can buy a few things, like Arcane Litanies on the Delegatus to ignore the first failed perils and a few combis on the vets.

I'm tempted by option 2, just because it has more firepower.

3+d6 warp charges, so going to guarantee 2 WC2 powers/turn most of the time which will most likely be Prescience to re-roll to hits. The Delegatus is my only HQ but he's T5 2+/5++ and in a shooty role.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 6, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm sizing up the Space Wolves against the Emperor's Children, and really I have no loving clue what the hell they are complaining about. The legion rules for SW are great (+1 WS on the charge, counterattack) which are pretty good against anything without dedicated CC rules/sonic shriekers. Grey Slayers loving own bones and can can run/charge which is sick as gently caress. Wowzers.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Does anyone have a good example of a painted unit of Destroyers? I'm thinking about painting one and I want to see how other people tackled the paint scheme.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Recoome posted:

I'm sizing up the Space Wolves against the Emperor's Children, and really I have no loving clue what the hell they are complaining about. The legion rules for SW are great (+1 WS on the charge, counterattack) which are pretty good against anything without dedicated CC rules/sonic shriekers. Grey Slayers loving own bones and can can run/charge which is sick as gently caress. Wowzers.

Space wolves got a good and powerful set of rules that does not include long boat flyers, a unit of wolfmen, a character that someday became a dreadnought in 40k or a luxurious wolf pelt to drape upon your shoulders. This means the rules are bad and FW hates the proud and loyal space wolf players.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Space wolves got a good and powerful set of rules that does not include long boat flyers, a unit of wolfmen, a character that someday became a dreadnought in 40k or a luxurious wolf pelt to drape upon your shoulders. This means the rules are bad and FW hates the proud and loyal space wolf players.

Now they just need to release rules for eldar immediately after the fall that exclude wraithlords, scatterlasers on every jetbike and infantry with d weapons.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Good, sure. Still failing to see the powerful part of it. Especially compared to some other legions like WS, EC, SoH and TS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Mango Polo posted:

Alright, getting my feet wet with the Thousand Sons.

Starting at a low 1000 points:

HQ
Delegatus (140)
- Rite of War: Chosen Duty
- Arcana: Corvidae (Re-roll 1's if stood still in previous movement phase)
- ML1 Divination (Harness on 3+)
- Jetbike, Refractor

TROOPS
10x Veterans (250)
- ML1 Divination
- Asphyx Shells (Shred on bolters and bolter firing modes)
- AA, Rhino

10x Veterans (250)
- ML1 Divination
- Asphyx Shells
- AA, Rhino

FAST ATTACK
3x Skyhunter Jetbikes (145)
- Arcana: Raptora (Inv 6++)
- Volkite

This is 785 points.

Option 1:
Deredeo with Aiolos (215) for exactly 1000 points. Or...

Option 2:
2x Rapiers with Laser Destroyer Arrays (110)

1x Javelin with Cyclones and 2x HK Missiles (65)

And the left over 30 points can buy a few things, like Arcane Litanies on the Delegatus to ignore the first failed perils and a few combis on the vets.

I'm tempted by option 2, just because it has more firepower.

3+d6 warp charges, so going to guarantee 2 WC2 powers/turn most of the time which will most likely be Prescience to re-roll to hits. The Delegatus is my only HQ but he's T5 2+/5++ and in a shooty role.

Deredeo is really, really good. I would go with that.