Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

call to action posted:

Distillation, a process separate from fermentation, is almost always illegal in private homes because of the ridiculously high explosion risk

Explosion risk, methanol poisoning risk, and heavy metals poisoning risk.

Speaking with my local brew shop guy, the ATF (really the TTB) typically catches people when their home still blows out an exterior wall while they're at work. The other two popular ways are after a breakup/divorce when the partner reports them, or when they try and sell it to local bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

call to action posted:

illegal in private homes because of the ridiculously high explosion risk

hi please fund my make-your-own-meth-empire startup so millenials can relive breaking bad through their smartphones

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Speaking with my local brew shop guy, the ATF (really the TTB) typically catches people when their home still blows out an exterior wall while they're at work. The other two popular ways are after a breakup/divorce when the partner reports them, or when they try and sell it to local bars.

to be fair talking about people getting caught because their still exploded isn't a fair assessor of the explosion risk, just of the people who didn't do it right to mitigate the risk

and the real reason home distilling is illegal is because of the long history of private distillation being used to avoid liquor taxes

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Well yeah, I've heard that it's around as risky as frying a turkey at home. Less even, if you're using one of those electrical air distillers they make for "home production of essential oils." It's always been transparently about taxes, which is why the enforcement is typically done by a trade bureau.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sorry to keep this derail going but this is too dumb to let go.

The actual value of the meal planning and novelty they provide has already been challenged here, but the fact remains that the internet is chock full of great, free resources for both of these things. Watching Jamie Oliver cook something on Youtube is an inarguably more valuable experience than the scant pamphlet and vague recipe that comes with a Blue Apron box. There are thousands of talented culinary instructors with blogs and video content that anyone can explore for free.

Also, scaling portions is part of the inherent problem. You don't get extra ingredients. If you gently caress up the recipe you're SOL. The price is on par with restaurant delivery, and you don't even get leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next day. The entire concept is wasteful and bad.

If Blue Apron inspires someone to learn how to cook, then that's absolutely a good thing. But they can't provide sustainable value. If you learn to cook with Blue Apron, you're a customer for three months at the absolute maximum. If you want to keep going, Blue Apron will not provide you with an opportunity to explore your creative potential beyond their rote recipes. You could shop entirely at Whole Foods and still spend less than half the per meal cost, and get better ingredients to boot.

It's a bad business model. Unless they can scale enough to take the cost down by at least half, they're hosed. And it sounds like they're already running beyond capacity.

Y'know, it's funny you say that...

Fast Company posted:

Companies like Blue Apron, Plated, and HelloFresh like to pitch their services as a solution for busy consumers who want an easier way to plan their meals, but a new spending analysis shows that the vast majority of customers don’t stick with these services over the long term.

The research firm 1010data analyzed consumer-spending data that represents millions of consumers, revealing a significant retention problem for the major meal-kit delivery services—which ship recipes with pre-portioned ingredients to customers on a weekly basis. After the second week, only about 50% of customers stick with Blue Apron, 1010data found. Six months into their subscriptions, only about 10% remain. The firm found a similar pattern for HelloFresh and Plated.

Spokespeople for Blue Apron, Plated, and HelloFresh all said that the 1010data analysis is inaccurate, but they declined to provide accurate data.

The firm, meanwhile, stands by the data. "While there is no way to test specifically how these metrics compare to companies' actual performance, spending trends in our data compare strongly to publicly reported comparable metrics from companies," Natalie Seidman, 1010data's senior vice president of data insights, said in an email. "[W]e have many clients of our data products who are confident enough in the representativeness of data to incorporate the insights we provide into their decision-making."

I don't know enough about data/statistics to say how accurate this is, but it's similar what I've seen from other firms so I'm inclined to believe it. People come in for that dirt cheap introductory offer, then drop it once they learn how to cook/realize take-out is cheaper.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"After the second week, few customers stick with BlueApron" Note that the flyer I got Wednesday included a card for 1 week of BlueApron free. I think I've seen that promo elsewhere.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

and the real reason home distilling is illegal is because of the long history of private distillation being used to avoid liquor taxes

Most laws don't exist for just one reason and it's very likely that the fact it is used to avoid taxes, the fact hard liquor is/was seen as a major social ill, the fact making it explodes residential areas sometimes and is a good way to poison yourself or others if you do it wrong probably all mixed together into it being pretty easy to get the laws passed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

duz posted:

I don't drink water because fish gently caress in it. Is there a unicorn to solve that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSicHEybkdg&t=55s

Alternatively, at 1:44

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter banana posted:

never said pus had any negative effects either?

Dude, I know this is D&D and being an insufferable smartass is kind of expected but stop that, seriously.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"After the second week, few customers stick with BlueApron" Note that the flyer I got Wednesday included a card for 1 week of BlueApron free. I think I've seen that promo elsewhere.

we tried hellofresh for one week just go to give it a shot, and decided it wasn't worth it. i dunno if i would call myself a customer of hellofresh because i accepted a discounted trial. if it wasn't for that i never would have given it a try

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Y'know, it's funny you say that...

I don't know enough about data/statistics to say how accurate this is, but it's similar what I've seen from other firms so I'm inclined to believe it. People come in for that dirt cheap introductory offer, then drop it once they learn how to cook/realize take-out is cheaper.

I wonder how this stacks up in comparison to a lot of other subscription or repeat services that have reduced/free initial offers.

As for cook at home or takeout, I wonder if people are making equal comparisons when stating this. Blue Apron is not advertised as a bargain budget offering and $10/average entree is pretty comparable to like-quality takeout. Also people underestimate the gently caress out of their food costs from a grocery store; and that is before factoring in the heirloom items Blue Apron has specifically grown for them, the type of meat and fish they source, hand made custom pastas, specially crafted sauces, etc.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Minecraft Holmes posted:

One can get tips and tells from most home brew shops if one asks.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, New York's just signed a bill that's pretty much summarised as "gently caress airbnb"

New York Post posted:

State law already bars apartment dwellers from renting their entire units for fewer than 30 days.

The new law — which carries fines of $1,000 to $7,500 simply for posting an available rental for any term short of 30 days — sent shock waves through the ­industry.

The new law applies to all permanent residences in buildings with three or more units.

It does not affect one- or two-family homes or temporary residences like boarding houses, hostels and dormitories.

Tenants who violate the law face fines of $1,000 for a first offense, $5,000 for a second and $7,500 for a third

ed: techbros aren't taking it well :laffo:

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 22, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kerbtree posted:

So, New York's just signed a bill that's pretty much summarised as "gently caress airbnb"

ed: techbros aren't taking it well :laffo:

Did you link slashdot in 2016?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Landsknecht posted:

Blue Apron would make sense if they could deliver some quality, interesting products at a non-prohibitive price, although they haven't been able to do this yet.

If I'm interested in making some Punjabi food, which I know nothing about, it would be neat to be able to order a cooled box which would have everything I need portioned out and ready to cook, along with instructions, all for less than the cost of taking my girlfriend and me out for similar food at a restaurant. However, they aren't there yet, and I don't know if they ever will be.

This and the next few pages of this thread have been an interesting read as my wife and I just cancelled our Blue Apron account recently. We have a lot of the same complaints people have already mentioned here. Each week there's two decent meals and the one that I could have made with random stuff in the fridge without thinking. We also had similar questions about who this is really for. We first tried it because we don't always have time to pick up groceries regularly near our respective workplaces (our home is in a bit of a void as far as produce goes). But like, some have said here they put a lot of money into pretty pictures of the food and not enough other parts of the experience. I mean do I really need the random insert with each box that's a full color page talking about a random ingredient? Like thanks I had no idea cheese is a thing made from milk or that sesame seeds are commonly used in hummus. Seeing Blue Apron talked about in this thread makes more sense now though. Everything weird about it is less weird and more "we designed this for techbros who have never touched a raw ingredient before in their entire lives and will pay a premium to not have to walk into a market."

It seems like such a great idea on the surface but like a lot of the wannabe-unicorns in this thread it's not actually produced with anyone other than its creators in mind.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tried (or almost tried) Google Express this week. They sent me a $15 coupon, so I loaded up my cart with $14.84 worth of stuff. But their offerings don't have competitors next to them like in a grocery store, so it's much more difficult to price-check. I could tell right away that everything was priced between 20% and 50% higher than a normal grocery store. With fees and delivery costs I almost paid $10 to have $8 in groceries delivered to my apartment, and that was with a massive discount.

Coincidentally, if you google Schwan's, the top ad is a 50% off plus free delivery coupon. For like $22 I got three pizzas, a giant family lasanga, a bunch of breakfast sandwiches and a yuuge bag of hashbrowns. Now that was an introductory offer. I'll still never order from them again, but hey, lasagna

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Like thanks I had no idea cheese is a thing made from milk or that sesame seeds are commonly used in hummus.

Is knowing what hummus is made of or some uses of sesame seeds really such common knowledge that it's worth getting huffy about? A major focus of the whole idea seems like it's giving people a tutorial in ingredients that they might not have used before but not stuff that is so exotic they will never be able to get that again. I think they love the idea of you trying a dish, saying "I really liked this ingredient" then wanting to look at other things that use that (through their service or otherwise)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

From the NYT article

quote:

The new law won't apply to rentals in single-family homes, row houses or apartm[ent spare rooms if the resident is present.

The complicated rules mean many New Yorkers may not know whether they can legally rent out their homes — and Airbnb says it does not have the ability to remove listings that violate the 2010 law.

Supporters say the imposition of fines will likely be driven by complaints from neighbors. Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal said the intention is to go after commercial operators who rent large numbers of vacant units in multi-apartment buildings.

"That's who we're targeting," said the Manhattan Democrat, who sponsored the bill in the Assembly.

This sounds pretty similar to the rules that Vancouver has said they're planning on enacting. Home Sharing means sharing extra unused space your home, not turning a residence into a hotel business. Unfortunately this will be very bad for Airbnb if this concept becomes a framework that other cities copy. It has been estimated that the major majority of their revenue comes from commercial hosts that operate multiple whole unit apartments, the sort of thing that would be banned under these rules.

Looks like Toronto is looking into rules too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

This sounds pretty similar to the rules that Vancouver has said they're planning on enacting. Home Sharing means sharing extra unused space your home, not turning a residence into a hotel business. Unfortunately this will be very bad for Airbnb if this concept becomes a framework that other cities copy. It has been estimated that the major majority of their revenue comes from commercial hosts that operate multiple whole unit apartments, the sort of thing that would be banned under these rules.

:ohdear:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I genuinely don't want AirBnb and similar to be banned. Hotels suck too, or do you all enjoy tiny rooms with odd stains on the quilt and ludicrously priced disgusting breakfasts? I'd like AirBnb to be better, not banned.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
If Airbnb follows the rules they wont be banned, but thats not disruption enough of course.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

For the record I largely agree with the sort of regulation that NY and Vancouver are putting in place. I was looking at the regulations from Airbnb's perspective and mangled that sentence. This is bad news for Airbnb's profit margins, but good news for residents of NY and Vancouver.

I've stayed a lot of Airbnbs before, most which were of the sort of house sharing that would be allowed under NY rules, and I really like the service. It's my favoured type of accommodation while traveling. I think there's a solid company here that would be able to exist within these sort of regulations, but I don't see how it would be able to justify the valuation that Airbnb currently has.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarbarianElephant posted:

I genuinely don't want AirBnb and similar to be banned. Hotels suck too, or do you all enjoy tiny rooms with odd stains on the quilt and ludicrously priced disgusting breakfasts? I'd like AirBnb to be better, not banned.

AirBnB seems like actively bad for society and civilization. It seems like it's loving too directly with a supply of a very basic human need by turning a bunch of places people were supposed to live into substandard illegal hotels.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

AirBnB seems like actively bad for society and civilization. It seems like it's loving too directly with a supply of a very basic human need by turning a bunch of places people were supposed to live into substandard illegal hotels.

Hotels can be converted into apartment blocks quite easily, you know. So a huge hotel is robbing the city of the apartment block it could be.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hotels are too expensive because they do things like have sprinkler systems and marked exits and adhere to zoning laws and pay hotel taxes. AirBNB hosts are, the majority of them (at least in San Francisco) converting apartments or clusters of condos into unlicensed hotels under the guise of "space sharing". This takes individual housing off the market and converts it into rental housing. Unlicensed hotels are not a social good, whether or not they are a personal good to the customer.

If AirBNB just represented people who wanted to rent out their spare room, it is very unlikely they'd have enough volume to survive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the actual residents of those buildings have to deal with a parade of transients roaming their building.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
They should certainly pay hotel taxes. I don't see why a one bedroom apartment needs a sprinkler system designed for a 500 room concrete maze.

As for zoning, there are "hotel" zones? Why are old fashioned bed-and-breakfasts often in residential areas?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

As for zoning, there are "hotel" zones? Why are old fashioned bed-and-breakfasts often in residential areas?
There most certainly are. Hotels are commercial use, apartments are residential. In San Francisco -- I don't know about elsewhere -- you have to go through a complex legal review any time you convert rental space into any other use, from owner move-ins to hotels. The zoning code recognizes that rental housing is different from hotel housing, because transients behave differently than residents, and never become familiar with the space in the way that residents do.

B&Bs fall under a different zoning code, and have rigid limits on size, and I'm pretty sure dedicated B&B buildings also have to have appropriate fire controls -- this depends on state. Furthermore, B&Bs' neighborhoods have a voice -- sometimes too strong a voice, I'm sure -- on whether a commercial business goes into their neighborhood.

The answer to "This service sucks" is not "Well, let's break the laws to provide it cheaper". UPS and FedEx disrupted just fine, thanks, without breaking existing parcel laws.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Listen, I don't want to summarily invalidate your opinion but if you have to ask this, you should probably educate yourself on the subject matter before stating one.

Hotels can be converted into apartment blocks quite easily, you know. So a huge hotel is robbing the city of the apartment block it could be.

No, they can't, because zoning. When they do, it's the choice of a local, elected, representative government, not an international corporation.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hotels suck too, or do you all enjoy tiny rooms with odd stains on the quilt and ludicrously priced disgusting breakfasts?

Implying that anyone desperate enough to register their house with Airbnb wouldn't have worse living conditions.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Landsknecht posted:

hi please fund my make-your-own-meth-empire startup so millenials can relive breaking bad through their smartphones

Want to get involved in my new start up? It's called Crystal Blue Apron Persuasion. We send customers an empty juice bottle, some Coleman's fuel, aquarium tubing, lithium batteries, ammonia, drain cleaner crystals, and a pre addressed envelope. The customer can either sell the product back to us at a profit or smoke it themselves, it's the meth sharing economy. Artisanal, small batch shake n bake crank in less than 40 minutes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i think the bulk of the population who doesn't have an inexplicable grudge against hotels generally see the wisdom of commercial regulation on short term residency for profit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I want a business that lets me timeshare my catte to people who want to be waked up in the middle of the night. I will provide a self-addressed crate in which they Uber him back to me each morning.

Dumb catte also wants to tuck up on my arms so I can't type and thus waste muscles I could be using on him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How much for an hour of this cat's time?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
They're about to legalize marijuana in my state, I bet there'll be plenty of space for disruption in the home grow kit business (everything but the seeds).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

withak posted:

How much for an hour of this cat's time?

It scales by demand. At 3AM I pay you.

Marijuana startups have been gearing up for at least two years. I have one that takes credit cards (!) and delivers lab-tested high-CBD tinctures to my door. They also sell weed in -- I am not making this up -- wee mason jars with a raffia string tied around the lid, with a paper tag with the name of the grower. One grower proudly boasts of their three generations of experience.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Dry your eyes, BarbarianElephant. AirBnb having to follow the law/local or regulations or becoming more expensive won't spell the end of civilisation as you know it.

Are you saying that all hotels have tiny rooms with odd stains on the quilt and ludicrously priced disgusting breakfasts? I've never stayed at a hotel like that. Perhaps you need to stay at a higher-quality hotel than "youth hostel"?

Are you saying that a city always has exactly one choice between "allow a hotel to be built" and "allow an apartment block to be built"? Because I've seen areas, just recently in fact, where apartment blocks and hotels were simulaneously being built.

They should certainly pay hotel taxes. I don't see why a one bedroom apartment needs a sprinkler system designed for a 500 room concrete maze.

Why do you think that someone would install "a sprinkler system designed for a 500 room concrete maze" in a one-bedroom apartment rather than "a fire-safety and -suppression system designed for a one-bedroom apartment"?

Most hotels I've seen have been in commercial zones rather than a "hotel" zone as such, but I guess that depends on the local regulations.
Regarding B&Bs, B&Bs are people's homes, in which they live, and from which they rent a room to guests (and then make breakfast for those guests). They're found in residential areas because the owners reside in them. A B&B is not the same as an AirBnB.

vvvvvvvvvvv Eh, OK, the vocab is bad then. That's a pension, not a B&B.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 23, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Weatherman posted:

Most hotels I've seen have been in commercial zones rather than a "hotel" zone as such, but I guess that depends on the local regulations.
Regarding B&Bs, B&Bs are people's homes, in which they live, and from which they rent a room to guests (and then make breakfast for those guests). They're found in residential areas because the owners reside in them. A B&B is not the same as an AirBnB.
Most of the ones I've seen in the U.S. are old Victorian mansions that have been kitschily lovingly restored, with 5-8 bedrooms available for rent, with owners who treat the business as running an inn.. The English model where it's an actual home renting out a spare bedroom doesn't seem to happen much here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In case you're not tired of foodiecorns: read about this company which expects to make bank and prevent food waste by selling restaurant leftovers as a short-term "all you can grab" buffet right after closing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Honestly this is a really good idea and I would head to a buffet 10 minutes after closing to take my fill for a fraction of the cost. I don't know how you monetize this into a business but I like the idea.