Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

people are bad and offices destroy productivity

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i can't remember where i'm stealing this from but the quote goes something like: "you show me a ceo with no office, and i'll show you a conference room nobody can book"

computer touchers can work on an open floor but some people legitimately need privacy for phone calls etc

this includes every customer facing computer toucher will though

I couldn't imagine having to book a conference room for every call I have in a day

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

hobbesmaster posted:

I couldn't imagine having to book a conference room for every call I have in a day

is your call confidential? open sales floors for customer phone touchers are pretty common too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

not as tight as that Apple HQ setup though

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hobbesmaster posted:

*hr person drops a cheap headset on your desk, checks your name off a list*

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

FrozenVent posted:

*hr person drops a cheap headset on your desk, checks your name off a list*

if an employer did that to me in an open office, I'd submit an expense report for some AKGs.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if your open office or cube farm doesn't at least have a few one-person "phone booth" type rooms where you can go for a personal or confidential call then you are in a poorly thought out workplace.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

mishaq posted:

youre ex-uunet? thats awesome

i work with several
yes, they are good people, almost universally smart and talented

see if any worked at willow oaks, we moved out to ashburn campus (jail) right after the buyout, which was the worldcom campus, then became mci, now verizon and I hear it's mostly abandoned

uunet still lives on in alter.net, the isp rebranding arm... I still see it in traceroutes every once in a while

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 31, 2017

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if your open office or cube farm doesn't at least have a few one-person "phone booth" type rooms where you can go for a personal or confidential call then you are in a poorly thought out workplace.

my favorite 'private call room' was when the planners put one in a part of a building that had no cell service, no office phone, and mediocre wifi

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i can't remember where i'm stealing this from but the quote goes something like: "you show me a ceo with no office, and i'll show you a conference room nobody can book"

computer touchers can work on an open floor but some people legitimately need privacy for phone calls etc

isn't this basically zuck/sandberg/etc?

i mean executives tend to be totally cool with signing up for an open floorplan workspace alongside their employees for "solidarity" because they'll never be there anyway

i have 4 offices :whatup: all but one are shared offices

one of my coworkers managed to get up to 4 offices at one point, but I think one of them was shared, and he gave that one up

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

lancemantis posted:

isn't this basically zuck/sandberg/etc?
Yeah, zuck and sandberg both have regular desks in amongst regular developers, and they never ever use them because they spend 100% of the time in their own glass-walled meeting rooms.

Zuck also has a conspicuous stack of important-sounding books on his desk that he's supposedly currently reading, and yet the stack never seems to change.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

minato posted:

Yeah, zuck and sandberg both have regular desks in amongst regular developers, and they never ever use them because they spend 100% of the time in their own glass-walled meeting rooms.

Zuck also has a conspicuous stack of important-sounding books on his desk that he's supposedly currently reading, and yet the stack never seems to change.

https://bookauthority.org

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

industry leaders such as the ex-CEO of Yahoo!, company formerly known as relevant

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean I guess you might need this now if you refuse to go to a bookstore or if amazon can't list you the current hot biz-bro books

it's all that any of these people will have pretended to read and recommend if they haven't ghost-written them themselves

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

*for use of team leads and above only

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

minato posted:

i think we had documentary evidence of bill gates reading a fuckton of books during his 2-week pseudovacations every year
billy gates could also code worth a drat, unlike the zuck
one of many ways in which zuck doesn't stand up to the dollar dollar king

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

open plan can work but it needs things like

C.H.O.M.E posted:

and actual architects that understand acoustics. also partitioning off people that spend all day on the phone.

if you do open plan because "wow the savings of not having offices!" then you've hosed it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"wow the savings" is the only reason to do open plan, every piece of research indicates that all the talk about "increased collaboration and teamwork" is bullshit

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

If a work place offered a Bring Your Own Walls policy I would take advantage of it. I'll bring my own you cheap fuckers just give me some privacy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this new open plan office will revolutionize our siloed business! *seats developers 1/4 mile away from the product team*

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

god willing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

qirex posted:

this new open plan office will revolutionize our siloed business! *seats developers 1/4 mile away from the product team*

"we need open plan for collaboration!"

*grows quickly and needs to open second location

collaboration is something that you encourage by the way you do work, not some weird system of sitting people close together and hoping they overhear somebody about to gently caress up

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my last bigco did a giant study and found that the average project was split across 6 sites, one team was breathless with how productive they were when folks working on the same code were moved to one aisle instead of being split by timezones

they also had planes to shuttle folks around, like i could get from my sacramento office to portland with just my employee badge

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

my last bigco did a giant study and found that the average project was split across 6 sites, one team was breathless with how productive they were when folks working on the same code were moved to one aisle instead of being split by timezones

they also had planes to shuttle folks around, like i could get from my sacramento office to portland with just my employee badge

did you work here when they tried to take away everyone's desk and make it so you could "use any cubicle on a first come first serve basis" by standardizing monitors and USB port replicators?

everyone complained so much they switched back to assigned cubes after six months.

it was like having a cubicle but any effort you put into keeping it clean was wasted when someone stole it, and you had to set up your chair again every morning.

I literally just stopped showing up in the office for months because no one knew where anyone was sitting.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

C.H.O.M.E posted:

did you work here when they tried to take away everyone's desk and make it so you could "use any cubicle on a first come first serve basis" by standardizing monitors and USB port replicators?

everyone complained so much they switched back to assigned cubes after six months.

it was like having a cubicle but any effort you put into keeping it clean was wasted when someone stole it, and you had to set up your chair again every morning.

I literally just stopped showing up in the office for months because no one knew where anyone was sitting.

theyre doing it a bit better at my office

80% of the cubes are assigned to employees that come in every day and they've got a few hoteling ones on each floor you can reserve ahead of time online

and theyve got one of those stupid soundproof rooms you can take calls in for the hoteling cubes because theyre so small

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

theyre doing it a bit better at my office

80% of the cubes are assigned to employees that come in every day and they've got a few hoteling ones on each floor you can reserve ahead of time online

and theyve got one of those stupid soundproof rooms you can take calls in for the hoteling cubes because theyre so small

yeah that's the way it is here now too but they make the interns sit in the small hotel cubes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

C.H.O.M.E posted:

nah, left long before that. my chair broke and i left the company instead of getting someone to fix it.

really don't think hotdesking would've flown w/ FDC, even outside of orange-bar lockdowns for yellow/red cover docs. i had 3 boxes left over from moving cubes to the swanky 3x2 one down on the 3rd floor for a year, even hauling those around would've been a pain.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

JawnV6 posted:

pro: free low friction way out of sacramento
con: to portland lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PCjr sidecar posted:

pro: free low friction way out of sacramento
con: to portland lol

con: 2 hour layover in santa clara because i booked late

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qirex posted:

"wow the savings" is the only reason to do open plan, every piece of research indicates that all the talk about "increased collaboration and teamwork" is bullshit

and if you combine the lowered productivity the $10 you saved on walls doesn't do a whole lot :ohdear:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

my new boss works 7 hour days, like, including lunch, 11->6

my old boss worked 12 hour days, including weekends

i'm v confused :thunk:

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

calling it, new boss is more productive and in better health

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

nah, left long before that. my chair broke and i left the company instead of getting someone to fix it.

really don't think hotdesking would've flown w/ FDC, even outside of orange-bar lockdowns for yellow/red cover docs. i had 3 boxes left over from moving cubes to the swanky 3x2 one down on the 3rd floor for a year, even hauling those around would've been a pain.

yeah, they had an elaborate system for renting out a system of locking drawers along the edges of the cube jungle for sensitive documents and everyone hated that too. i think they did an inventory and found that, on average, only about half of the cubes were occupied at any one time during the day, and started converting everything to the hotdesking system because, you know, no one could be away from their cube in a meeting or something. they got through about 3 larger (more than 1000 people) sites before they backed down.

also the employee plane shuttle is no more

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

grats you got a good boss now

my current boss that I sit uncomfortably close to in our open floor plan works like 12 hour days and it's annoying I feel silently judged for working normal person hours but also don't care it's just dumb like just go home!!! get a hobby!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My old boss was a workaholic rear end in a top hat like that. Unless it's important I'm not staying one minute later than required.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Hmm I wonder why my coworker is still in the office after twelve hours *looks over and sees YouTube open on his monitor*

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lots going bad at newjob but on the flip side we moved office and for the first time in my working career i don't sit near an open mouth eater :woop:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

people eating at their desk is bad even when they can keep their mouth shut

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

qhat posted:

Hmm I wonder why my coworker is still in the office after twelve hours *looks over and sees YouTube open on his monitor*

The best is having to stay late to get something done, and when you have to ask the golden employee who stays late every day something they quickly close what looks like an anime tv show and have that look like they just got caught masturbating.

Well, more reason bosses shouldn't grade on attendance but there they are getting bonuses for staying late every quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Bloody posted:

grats you got a good boss now

my current boss that I sit uncomfortably close to in our open floor plan works like 12 hour days and it's annoying I feel silently judged for working normal person hours but also don't care it's just dumb like just go home!!! get a hobby!

holy poo poo this is me, my boss works at least 70 hours every week including weekends and a lot of other people around here boast about working 9-10 hour days and I'm like "what the gently caress go home assholes"

my last boss was a flakey no show most of the time, but this is almost worse in a lot of respects

• Locked thread