Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My Bluetooth earbuds had about six hour battery life. They would be low by the end of the day, running out if I did some overtime. Six hours of use over nine hours is a twenty minute break every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some random musings on charging simply because I have too many devices and chargers and I was bored

OP8P and Pixel 4 XL. Both had charge levels between 70% and 75% so you aren't going to get the full charge rates. I used Ampere to measure the charge amperage, adding back in what the idle drain seemed to be (around 500mA), multiplied by the battery volts while charging (since that's where Ampere measures) of 4.2v on average. So, there are some losses here and there, but this should give an idea of how quickly you can add to battery with various chargers when you have these devices.

OP8P

USB-PD charger: ~13w
Pixel Stand: ~5w
Samsung Fast Wireless Charger: 5w
Yootech Wireless Charger: ~7w
Wireless Warp Charger: ~16w
Wired Warp Charger: ~20w

Pixel 4 XL
USB-PD charger: ~10w
Pixel Stand: ~9w
Yootech Wireless Charger: ~9w
Samsung Fast Wireless Charger: ~5w
Wireless Warp Charger: ~5w
Wireless Warp Charger: ~7.5w

What do you do with this info? I really have no loving idea. One thing is certain though is that the OP8P still charges like a bat out of hell on wired warp charging in this range. It does seem like it drops off to about 12w on the wired warp charger once it gets above 76% or so and it actually draws about the same on a USB-PD charger at that point. So, basically, warp charging and USB-PD charging curves intersect at above 75% on the OP8P.

The Pixel charges at about the same pace wired and wireless in this range, but it's not all that fast regardless. As temp increases, I would expect both rates to drop off. I've observed that in the past actually on the P4 xl. If you start charging from a deep discharge state, charging really gets throttled above 75% due to heat to the tune of pulling it back to 3-5w for that last 15%. You probably hit 100% quicker when the phone is fully discharged by pulling the phone off the charger at about 75%, letting it cool off, and then plugging it back in again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 29, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
At a desk go over-the-ear headphones. On the go use buds.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

butt dickus posted:

You listen to music for 8 consecutive hours every day? I know I'm not a music fan but that seems pretty extreme to me.

Actually the majority is podcasts and audiobooks. I usually only listen to music in the last hour or two of my shift. But the local radio here has always been a travesty, even before corporations started acquiring them all.

I won't say my use case is normal, but it's probably the only perk my lovely job has.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

butt dickus posted:

Five hours seems like a long time to be wearing earbuds.

It's closer to 3.5 or 4 hours real world usage as stated by more than one reviewer now. Compared to the competition that's...not that good.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly my ear canals start to hurt a little bit after maybe 4-5 hours. Can't imagine going 8.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Five hours seems like a long time to be wearing earbuds.

Unless you work eight hours a day then it seems like about 62.5% of the time to be wearing earbuds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

e: nm

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If I have to listen to music for more than an hour or so I get cranky and I can only listen to podcasts when I'm driving and can devote the proper amount of attention.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I think the argument to make is that certain people enjoy having headphones in all day and need a device that lasts that long, the Pixel Bud 2s are not for them.

If you're an ultra productive type or just blind and need an integrated assistant, then get some buds.

But no one should be wearing headphones in the car, I've almost been murdered by dudes with airpods in their ears while driving through San Francisco almost every other day due to lack of situational awareness.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, people wearing headphones in a car should be arrested.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thermopyle posted:

If I have to listen to music for more than an hour or so I get cranky
:stare:

I can't stand it to not have music running in background or directly on my ears, if there isn't an actual oral discussion with other people going on.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I can appreciate silence at work since there's none at home

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Combat Pretzel posted:

:stare:

I can't stand it to not have music running in background or directly on my ears, if there isn't an actual oral discussion with other people going on.
The pink noise of the office is good enough for me, or lately, the relative silence of my house.

I've been on the waitlist for the pixel buds, and had planned on holding out for the orange ones, but they'd just be another thing I'd buy and never use. Thanks for helping me figure that out, thread.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Are Pixel Buds sold out because of 'rona supply chain problems, or because they're actually good?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Option C.

Google makes 5 copies of devices when they first launch and are then unavailable for the next 6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Option C.

Google makes 5 copies of devices when they first launch and are then unavailable for the next 6.

It's this one.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm not sure they do anything better than the competition other than "Hands Free Google Assistant" or if you are intentionally avoiding noise isolation. I don't use them a ton, but I'm still pretty happy with my Liberty 2 Pros.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bandire posted:

I'm not sure they do anything better than the competition other than "Hands Free Google Assistant" or if you are intentionally avoiding noise isolation.
They're smaller and supposedly more comfortable, with good touch controls.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is there any particularly compelling reason to wait for the 4a's release rather than buying a 3a right now? Like, are there any particularly compelling updates on the immediate horizon or is it looking like pretty much the same phone?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

docbeard posted:

Is there any particularly compelling reason to wait for the 4a's release rather than buying a 3a right now? Like, are there any particularly compelling updates on the immediate horizon or is it looking like pretty much the same phone?

Buy a phone when you need a phone, if you need a phone right now buy a Pixel 3a or an iPhone SE.

If you own your phones a long time and don't need a phone right now, the extra year of support & OS updates is worth waiting for the 4a in my opinion. It looks like it'll be releasing May 22, and it was really easy to walk into a store and buy a Pixel 3a on day one, so I bet the same will be true for the 4a. https://www.techradar.com/news/google-pixel-4a-release-date-could-be-just-around-the-corner-according-to-new-leak

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

docbeard posted:

Even if it was the same phone it'd be worth waiting for the extra year of support you'd get from the 4a.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, except for the whole stores not being open to walk into part.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If they do the 4a like the 3a, the 4a will only have a few months of additional support than the actual 4 so, there's also that.

Also you can still walk into Best Buy...at least around here, last I checked.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gotta do curbside pickup here in IL. I don't know of anything that you can walk into that isn't Walgreens, the grocery store, or the home improvement stores. Maybe the local Target cause they sell food?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Curbside only pickup of online orders here, not likely to change anytime soon either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Here in Nebraska, you can walk into any building that's not a bank, library, police station, stand-alone pharmacy (without an appointment), movie theater, or GameStop. I was at Walmart today to pick up medicine for my roommate and do some quick shopping.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm sure that has nothing to do with why Nebraska has, by far, the highest rate of spread per person.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm sure that has nothing to do with why Nebraska has, by far, the highest rate of spread per person.

surprisingly the biggest reason is likely the conditions inside meatpacking plants, but that's more due to the fact that those conditions are like giving coronavirus goddamn cheat codes than it is to anything else - the governor is an absolute dumbass with more hair than brains

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't know about best buy but in california you can walk in to a target or walmart, or costco to buy your "essential" pixel or nintendo switch

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/29/xiaomi-is-updating-gpu-drivers-for-its-snapdragon-865-phones-through-its-app-store/

Qualcomm mentioned this was a thing last year but now Xiaomi has actually done it, they've updated GPU drives on Snapdragon 865 via their app store.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oh they don't care here. :v:

FAUXTON posted:

surprisingly the biggest reason is likely the conditions inside meatpacking plants, but that's more due to the fact that those conditions are like giving coronavirus goddamn cheat codes than it is to anything else - the governor is an absolute dumbass with more hair than brains

This too, honestly. He's a loving twit.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I'm guessing you haven't seen the inside of one. I can only speak for our plants, but I'd imagine our competitors' are similar. The people on the floor are already wearing PPE, and people are usually pretty far apart. I haven't been to one since this started (our install this month was canceled due to travel restrictions) but I would think the biggest issue is during breaks, because the cafeteria is always packed.

e: oh god i thought this was the coronavirus thread sorry

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Celexi posted:

I don't know about best buy but in california you can walk in to a target or walmart, or costco to buy your "essential" pixel or nintendo switch

Well, not a Switch. Those are sold out.

Shouldn't be a problem for Pixels. :D

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

Well, not a Switch. Those are sold out.

Shouldn't be a problem for Pixels. :D

The only "Pixel" anything sold out are the new earbuds. :v:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

WH-1000XM3 exist. Because they exist, I see little reason for anything else in the category to exist as they are perfect.

I'm sure they are but they're $350.

I bought the Anker Soundcore Life Q10s for $35 and they are loving amazing especially at that price point. They are legit good. And not just "good for $35" good.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Soundcore-Bluetooth-Headphones-Certified/dp/B07SHG4H92

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ThermoPhysical posted:

Here in Nebraska, you can walk into any building that's not a bank, library, police station, stand-alone pharmacy (without an appointment), movie theater, or GameStop. I was at Walmart today to pick up medicine for my roommate and do some quick shopping.

Not much of a shutdown in Australia either, although we only have 89 deaths.

You can't cross state borders but most stores and schools are open and you can still get haircuts etc. Most non-public facing businesses are fine, although lots of retail and restaurants have shut down downtown due to no customers.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My wife finally managed to break her old Moto Z Play so i had to get her a new phone. She hates to spend money on tech so it had to be cheap. I got her a Redmi Note 8t and holy poo poo, thats a lot of phone for the money!
Snapdragon 665, 4GB of RAM, 64 GB storage, Quad camera with a 48 mexapixel sensor, 1080p Display with a teardrop notch, 4000 mAh battery with fast charging. All of that squeezed between two sheets of Gorilla Glass 5.
Yeah it doesn't have an inscreen fingerprint sensor (has a regular one on the back) or a 120hz display or stuff like that. But this thing cost me 150€! The value proposition ist insane on those china phones!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I sincerely wish those phones had poo poo for US LTE bands because I'm always tempted by the cheap China phone but alas

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

I sincerely wish those phones had poo poo for US LTE bands because I'm always tempted by the cheap China phone but alas

The Note 8T has LTE bands 2, 4, and 5. There are a handful that have many more LTE bands. The Mi Mix 3 has every LTE band except for 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been doing research for a while now and I don't know if this exists but we'll see...

Does anyone know of a good, stable tripod that can hold a Pixel 4 XL in a case?

I've looked all night and the only ones I found either are cheaply made but cost $30+ (Joby) or are a noname brand and are unstable and fall over (mostly not Joby) or look cool...and don't actually hold a phone without breaking the tripod or the screen of the phone because it rests against a screw (????

Thanks.