Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would make a pretty good weapon though, actually. Forget the fancy torpedoes and explosive payloads, just get a big chunk of rock such as float around in space for literally free, stick a phasing device on it and hurl it towards the enemy battlecruiser, setting the device to disengage once they intersect, and let's see how the Romulans deal with Halley's Comet stuck through their main engineering section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

What good is a phasing device anyway in starships that travel through what is literally "space"?

like at that scale you have to actively go out of your way to be near the kind of objects that would be worth phasing through or into

Counterpoint: while the majority of space IS indeed empty, most spaceships spend their time traveling from planet to planet and relatively little time in deep space.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My Lovely Horse posted:

Would make a pretty good weapon though, actually. Forget the fancy torpedoes and explosive payloads, just get a big chunk of rock such as float around in space for literally free, stick a phasing device on it and hurl it towards the enemy battlecruiser, setting the device to disengage once they intersect, and let's see how the Romulans deal with Halley's Comet stuck through their main engineering section.

Probably with duplicity and tricks

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think the mines the Jem'Hadar used in that siege episode where Nog loses his leg were able to phase shift too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Park a phase probe inside Tal Shiar HQ and set it to 'record'.

They did say that you could pick up phase cloaks via radiation-of-the-week and counter them with particle-of-the-week in the episode where the Romulans were trying to develop a phase cloak, that might be why the technology never got into application phase.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 12, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Ds9 ep of Dax and the Klingons vs the Albino is on and I'm never sure if I like this episode or not

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Flipswitch posted:

The Ds9 ep of Dax and the Klingons vs the Albino is on and I'm never sure if I like this episode or not

sisko: did you go out murdering?
dax: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sisko: oh you!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That albino gently caress

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

maybe you should talk to worf again

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Flipswitch posted:

The only problem with that episode is Dax's equivocation about killing. 100% Kurzon killed some folks in his time.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Has anybody on ds9 not killed anybody in their time??

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

are the short treks worth watching?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Calypso one might be relevant to Disco Season 3. A couple of the other ones gave some background to Season 2 episodes.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The short treks are some of the best things to come out of discovery

The General
Mar 4, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I heard the only ones worth a crap were Calypso and the tribble one. Have I been misinformed?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

That albino gently caress petaQ

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CODChimera posted:

Yes. Especially since they're like ten or fifteen minutes each, so it's not exactly a big time investment just to plow through them all.

They vary enormously in style, content, tone, and even setting. It's the place for them to do weird-rear end experimental things with their storytelling. So of course, some of those experiments will work better than others.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I heard the only ones worth a crap were Calypso and the tribble one. Have I been misinformed?

Matter of taste. Most people here in the SA Trek threads (myself included) thought Calypso was the standout best one, but had some big issues with The Trouble With Edward.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The General posted:

Has anybody on ds9 not killed anybody in their time??

Keiko and Leeta.

Rom is tricky as he never directly kills anyone but several die as a direct result of his actions. Jake probably killed those Klingons when he phasers the cave that collapses on their heads. Does Nog ever actually kill anyone?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Keiko and Leeta.

Rom is tricky as he never directly kills anyone but several die as a direct result of his actions. Jake probably killed those Klingons when he phasers the cave that collapses on their heads. Does Nog ever actually kill anyone?

He kills the future of traditional ferengi culture :females:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Yes, thank you. Your post is very honorable

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Does Nog ever actually kill anyone?

red squad

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GolfHole posted:

red squad

:eyepop:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

GolfHole posted:

dead squad

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not sure how I feel about the Voyager-J in this week's Discovery.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I imagine the academy gets rid of red squad considering every time we see them they're loving up due to hubris

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

they're like the slytherin of star trek

"i want to be a brave hero for the federation, killing many aliens in the process!!!"
>> HOUSE RED SQUAD

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ep was okay, I like Jadzia Dax but I think her eps aren't great?. After it was Voyager and an ep I hadn't seen before which was False Profits. It sucked and lmao at how uninterested the crew were about finding a potential wormhole home. They knew they weren't going back.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

Commanded by Dark Admiral Ben-Luc Hyperjaneway, no doubt

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

well thats it for TNG.

went to the "All Good Things..." IMDB trivia section and this one made me lol

quote:

The only Star Trek: The Original Series (1966) spin-off finale to not be directed by Allan Kroeker. He directed Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: What You Leave Behind (1999), Star Trek: Voyager: Endgame (2001) and Star Trek: Enterprise: These Are the Voyages... (2005).

on to the TNG movies???? :shepicide:

or maybe just watch the Plinkett reviews of them and actually enjoy myself.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would not want to serve on that ship. Would you ever board a ship called the Titanic II? If The Voyager-J was ever lost, no one would go looking. They'd assume you deserved your fate.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

First Contact is good if you don't over-analyze it. All the others suck.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Two-Takes Frakes
Low And Wide

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Insurrection is fun if you just take it as a two-part episode that didn’t get released until 1998.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

numberoneposter posted:

well thats it for TNG.

went to the "All Good Things..." IMDB trivia section and this one made me lol

on to the TNG movies???? :shepicide:

or maybe just watch the Plinkett reviews of them and actually enjoy myself.

They're all awful except First Contact, which is entertaining, but stupid.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

generations is stupid bit watchable too

nemesis is the real stinker of the bunch

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

First contact was the only good Star Trek action movie and I think it catches more poo poo for what Voyager did with the Borg using all of that movie's props and costumes then it deserves

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mango sentinel posted:

They're all awful except First Contact, which is entertaining, but stupid.

100%

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

First Contact is smarter than most mainstream action movies, but dumber than most Star Treks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Notable First Contact quotes:

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: And you people, you're all astronauts on... some kind of star trek.

Lt. Commander Worf: [before blasting some Borg] Assimilate this!