Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Reik posted:

It makes total sense that a Korean developer wouldn't catch this. Maybe we should start some kind of consultant firm studios could hire to go through their media with a diverse range of perspectives to make sure it's inclusive to the most customers possible without being accidentally offensive.

Sounds sweet, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

unattended spaghetti posted:

I think the Platonic 7/10 game is gonna grow increasingly common as budgets shrink and sales projections approach realistic levels. I'm glad of it. Critics were universally meh on Rise of the Ronin and while I think it's better than a mere 7 I also get why it got the reception it did. Modest budgets and laser focus on one gameplay element over others doesn't eat up attention as much as a game with insane graphical fidelity that attempts to position itself at the center of your existence and the media conversation all at once.

I guess I'm saying gimme the imperfect poo poo made for a singular purpose with warts any time.

And scores are stupid. People should just read critical takes and come to their own conclusions. I really hate how scores take the focus off the game and onto the subjective scoring.

Yeah. I'm all for games that aren't for everyone but extremely for the people who want that specific game.

Better than games trying to be everything for everyone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gene Park (Washington Posts game reviewer) was saying on Twitter, that the final few bosses of Stellar Blade require perfect timing parrying over and over again in order to beat them. Said they will be a huge brick wall for many players. Gene isn't a normie game reviewer, they have beaten titles like Lies of P, and Elden Ring, so this isn't Paragon can't get through the tutoral on Cuphead levels of opinion. Stellar Blade is a difficult game.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i don't see the big deal. just like how violence in games doesn't cause gamers to be violent, sexual content in games doesn't cause them to have sex.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Gene Park (Washington Posts game reviewer) was saying on Twitter, that the final few bosses of Stellar Blade require perfect timing parrying over and over again in order to beat them. Said they will be a huge brick wall for many players. Gene isn't a normie game reviewer, they have beaten titles like Lies of P, and Elden Ring, so this isn't Paragon can't get through the tutoral on Cuphead levels of opinion. Stellar Blade is a difficult game.

It also unlocks a harder difficulty once you beat it.

The game, beat the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Stellar Blade players will refer to those challenge points as thicc walls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

In Stellar Blade players will refer to those challenge points as thicc walls.

You have to be a dummy to get stuck on them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just considered that Stellar Blade means “really good sword” and started laughing in the middle of Poeyes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hard jrpgs

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I'm all for games that aren't for everyone but extremely for the people who want that specific game.

Better than games trying to be everything for everyone.

I wouldn't extrapolate all the way out to this conclusion, personally. Like FF Rebirth, exemplary emblem of AAA excess in a lot of ways, doesn't attempt to be everything to everyone despite that. It absolutely has a weird but brilliant combat system that puts off tons of people, until they get it anyhow, and yet it still feels like it's big budget siblings. It also has an easy mode for people who can't or won't learn the combat and I think that's great since the kickass combat won't be to everyone's taste.

I think more than anything, it comes down to design by committee. Without clear design goals, or without a cohesive development culture to support those design goals, you end up with an unfocused nothing game. So I think it is less games trying to be everything to everyone and more bloated team sizes plus no clear directive for what's being made. That is, I don't think the everything game is necessarily the goal a lot of the time, more that it is often a symptom grown out of poor project management which grows more common the bigger a game gets.

The bigger games get, the more the capitalist dichotomy of independent vs corporate becomes apparent, imho. Same issues, new medium.

Incidentally, this is why Larian can do no wrong in my eyes. The only sizeable studio out there that leads by example for how larger teams can still make incredible work with the right principles and culture. Every time I see those guys on camera, it's so apparent that contributors to the team are valued and that they're proud to be part of what the company does. Just gives me all the good feels contrasted against most games of similar size and budget.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 24, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Unless there's something severely wrong with the game, Metacritic ratings are more indicative of a game's production budget + the notoriety of the developer. Score herding exists hardcore in game reviews.

Also a lot of the mainstream outlet reviewers just rush the game. I wouldn't pay too much attention to metacritic score, play what you like.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I play what I like and end up playing some poo poo games

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I wouldn't extrapolate all the way out to this conclusion, personally. Like FF Rebirth, exemplary emblem of AAA excess in a lot of ways, doesn't attempt to be everything to everyone despite that. It absolutely has a weird but brilliant combat system that puts off tons of people, until they get it anyhow, and yet it still feels like it's big budget siblings. It also has an easy mode for people who can't or won't learn the combat and I think that's great since the kickass combat won't be to everyone's taste.

The new FF7s can get away with this because they're attached to one of the most popular IPs in gaming. Which is the other part of the AAA problem, reluctance to put budget behind properties that don't already have a built-in audience. If it wasn't FF7 then there would be a lot more anxiety over the stuff that's potentially divisive and it would probably get sanded down into blandness like your typical AAA game. FF16 makes for an interesting contrast

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

https://youtu.be/oGAL-Mgi3k4?si=XBAzZDwapMMt6Pin

Me reading this thread on any given day but saying the words “Stellar Blade” instead of “Baseball”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Can someone explain it to us olds who have no loving idea instead of just saying no.

People have already gone over it but just in case they were too sublte, here's an instructional guide that should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_5OqFOxSnc&t=134s

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Is that news ancor woman the half life transit speaker vo??

Now arriving in... sector c... test labs

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 24, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

The new FF7s can get away with this because they're attached to one of the most popular IPs in gaming. Which is the other part of the AAA problem, reluctance to put budget behind properties that don't already have a built-in audience. If it wasn't FF7 then there would be a lot more anxiety over the stuff that's potentially divisive and it would probably get sanded down into blandness like your typical AAA game. FF16 makes for an interesting contrast

I dunno. I recall a lot of anxious noise pre release when Horizon was put up as an inspiration. But the gamer anxiety poo poo kinda wears me out. The flip of the AAA problem is that some mechanics are unfairly maligned thanks to their poor or cynical implementation. Pre release FFXVI was hyped to all hell since everyone collectively seems to like DMC, and while I wouldn't say people thought Rebirth was gonna be bad per se it definitely raised eyebrows when the structure became more clear. Then they both came out and popular opinion flip flopped.

You're right about the built in audience though. And yet I can't help feeling like Remake was pretty ballsy in building a new combat system that is genuinely novel out of whole cloth and bolting it onto such a beloved property. No way in hell would Remake have bombed, novelty be damned, but Rebirth could have, if they hadn't done such an excellent job. Comes right back to the core of it, which imho is clarity of purpose and good project management.

At the end of the day though, the whole of gaming is so drat good right now, and its never been a better time to love games. Even current AAA, lame as it can be, is still better than it was in the mid auts.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/REBHPortal/status/1783210578422739313

I don't know, Capcom. Why do you ask?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You save with a calligraphy brush and a scroll.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wouldn't that just be Kuon?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Onimusha, jean reno

Edit: its not a hint btw, the people running that twitter account got no idea whats next until we do lol

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 24, 2024

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ryoga posted:

No need for any of the super horny outfits in this game when you can use the Kill Bill yellow jumpsuit.

Wait really? Now I’m interested.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sand Land reviewing about how I expected, averaging in the 70s.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"A PS2 game made with AAA technology"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCXilVBVv0

They liked it. I can't get passed the rear end.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

9 from God is a Geek, the game officially has its blessing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

And yet I can't help feeling like Remake was pretty ballsy in building a new combat system that is genuinely novel out of whole cloth and bolting it onto such a beloved property. No way in hell would Remake have bombed, novelty be damned, but Rebirth could have, if they hadn't done such an excellent job. Comes right back to the core of it, which imho is clarity of purpose and good project management.

This is precisely why games like Stranger of Paradise and Forspoken weren't cancelled outright despite being costly niche boondoggles from an outsider's perspective, they were testbeds and audience polls for new systems/mechanics/design components in service of the one game, a very expensive game tied directly to the company's rep, that could not fail under any circumstance. They also allowed Square to maintain vast institutional knowledge even from people or studios who might not be directly working on Rebirth, rather than just materializing another round of layoffs. This form of incrementalism in Square's bureaucratic production apparatus has really served them well in the last decade. I would also argue that FFXVI is part of this picture, both a testbed for future large project direction roadmaps on a tight budget, and an experiment in the usage of new technology and asset streaming techniques that will be required for the increased scale of Remake 3's world and inevitable kaiju battles.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is precisely why games like Stranger of Paradise and Forspoken weren't cancelled outright despite being costly niche boondoggles from an outsider's perspective, they were testbeds and audience polls for new systems/mechanics/design components in service of the one game, a very expensive game tied directly to the company's rep, that could not fail under any circumstance. They also allowed Square to maintain vast institutional knowledge even from people or studios who might not be directly working on Rebirth, rather than just materializing another round of layoffs. This form of incrementalism in Square's bureaucratic production apparatus has really served them well in the last decade. I would also argue that FFXVI is part of this picture, both a testbed for future large project direction roadmaps on a tight budget, and an experiment in the usage of new technology and asset streaming techniques that will be required for the increased scale of Remake 3's world and inevitable kaiju battles.

drat good post. Hadn't thought of it like that but it's a compelling point and I certainly agree about Square. They've done such an excellent jog exploiting their deep bench of IP over the last bunch of years and have been willing to swing for the fences in a bunch of cases and I really admire it. Like is there another big developer with that genuinely diverse a portfolio these days? I'm sure I'm not accounting for someone in saying no, but it's hard to compare them to anyone else right now. Really reminds me of Square of the late nineties in a lot of ways. I hope the talk about cutting projects is mostly hot air cause they've been on a real solid winning streak lately.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

"A PS2 game made with AAA technology"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCXilVBVv0

They liked it. I can't get passed the rear end.

"secondary motion characteristics" is the new term for jiggle physics now

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ying yang twins trying to work "secondary motion characteristics" into the remix of salt shaker.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad we've circled around to 'Square Enix seems to be doing pretty well all things considered' after we were definitely getting NFTs in their mainstream high budget games coming soon just trust me bro.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think the rear end falling out of NFTs did a lot to prevent that, thank god

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Executives say stupid poo poo all the time and there wasn't, to my recollection, any action following the hot air.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

NFT crash happen because they went woke

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: This game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuiRFC965Q
From FightingCowboy who liked it.

:nws:

Game sounds great all things considered but the costumes made for perverts is a bit much. Thankfully can find other ones to use. Including a giant bear costume, haha.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Rinkles posted:

Sand Land reviewing about how I expected, averaging in the 70s.

Gonna watch some streamers play this because I did NOT like the demo at all, but I'm still kind of interested in the game. Seems like a good $30 pickup down the line.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Hell yeah ps2 rules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Executives say stupid poo poo all the time and there wasn't, to my recollection, any action following the hot air.

They made Symbiogenisis and that's about the most I think came of it.

I know this is the PS4 but I still lol that Microsoft was considering Bitcoin mining a few years ago

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: This game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuiRFC965Q
From FightingCowboy who liked it.

Game sounds great all things considered but the costumes made for perverts is a bit much. Thankfully can find other ones to use. Including a giant bear costume, haha.

What the hell is with the glowing tummy on that second to last costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Paying2Lurk posted:

Gonna watch some streamers play this because I did NOT like the demo at all, but I'm still kind of interested in the game. Seems like a good $30 pickup down the line.

Yeah the demo was weird, either there’s basically nothing to the game or it was put together specifically to show off…. basically nothing.