Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikeJF posted:

I mean there's an ethical dilemma of what to do with any Marquis who just plain didn't want to work as a Starfleet crew and scrub power conduits or whatever, since, well, unlike the starfleet people they didn't sign up for this and basically slave-driving them to work would be super wrong. On a better show.

As usual, the answer is found in :bsg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CaptainSkinny posted:

It's called the Hazard Team!

Who were also the characters of Elite Force, a good old game.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I mean there's an ethical dilemma of what to do with any Marquis who just plain didn't want to work as a Starfleet crew and scrub power conduits or whatever, since, well, unlike the starfleet people they didn't sign up for this and basically slave-driving them to work would be super wrong. On a better show.

They could've gotten off at the Amelia Earhart planet. They could've set up a a potato-farming colony in kazon territory, to keep the marquis spirit alive. They could've hijacked the threshold shuttlecraft, stocked it with the threshold antidote, and gotten back to the alpha quadrant in time to be genocided by the jem'hadar

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay so I've said a couple of times that the holodeck is the perfect solution for keeping pre-warp or time displaced people on board, but there is very definitely a right and a wrong way to do it, the latter of which Nikolai "Bumbling Idiot" Rozhenko has now demonstrated in great detail.

sub rosa coming up, I'm excited

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Epicurius posted:

They hated Cardassians because Cardassians violated the treaty that protected Federation citizens. From "The Maquis"

the federation citizens were strongly encouraged to leave when the treaty ceded those colony worlds to cardassia. they were told very clearly that the cardassians suck poo poo and things probably wouldn't end well for them. their response was that it would be fine, man. they deliberately chose to live under cardassian rule and then were absolutely shocked when they discovered what that entailed despite having been told all about it. after all, there were all these rules and the cardassians were hardly snickering at all when they promised to be nice to anyone who stayed. what's more, the colonists always had the option of leaving! it wasn't a one-time opportunity that they missed out on.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the federation citizens were strongly encouraged to leave when the treaty ceded those colony worlds to cardassia. they were told very clearly that the cardassians suck poo poo and things probably wouldn't end well for them. their response was that it would be fine, man. they deliberately chose to live under cardassian rule and then were absolutely shocked when they discovered what that entailed despite having been told all about it. after all, there were all these rules and the cardassians were hardly snickering at all when they promised to be nice to anyone who stayed. what's more, the colonists always had the option of leaving! it wasn't a one-time opportunity that they missed out on.

The fed colonists were ordered to leave, but Picard felt guilty about something a person who might have been his ancestor did so he renegotiated the entire treaty. After this, the explicit Starfleet position was that the colonists should stay on these worlds if they wanted to. The colonists assumed that this meant that if the Cardassians broke the treaty, the Federation would have their back.

So when the Cardassians broke the treaty and the Maquis started fighting back, they were very surprised to learn that the Federation was calling them out instead of the treaty breakers. To be fair, every action that the Maquis take after this point is extremely dumb, but up to this point they'd been acting in good faith.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

The fed colonists were ordered to leave, but Picard felt guilty about something a person who might have been his ancestor did so he renegotiated the entire treaty. After this, the explicit Starfleet position was that the colonists should stay on these worlds if they wanted to. The colonists assumed that this meant that if the Cardassians broke the treaty, the Federation would have their back.

So when the Cardassians broke the treaty and the Maquis started fighting back, they were very surprised to learn that the Federation was calling them out instead of the treaty breakers. To be fair, every action that the Maquis take after this point is extremely dumb, but up to this point they'd been acting in good faith.

That isn't what happened.

The armistice was agreed to in 2367. The treaty was actually done 3 years later. The troop movements and the destruction of a colony and trying to frame it on bajorans was all pre-treaty.

They were never told "oh you can totally live here and have the same rights and protections as if you lived in the federation" They were told, repeatedly, that they should move and the federation will help them move.

The "treaty" you're thinking of with Picard wasn't a treaty but was those federation citizens renouncing their citizenship and joining the cardassian government.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The maquis are racist libertarian C.H.U.D.S. not to mention terrorists they are like oklahoma city bombing militia

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
My favorite star trek thing is you can request a video chat with just about anybody and there is a 99% chance they are sitting next to their display ready to jump on a galactic phone call from a space stranger

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if they are all just simulated on a holodeck :tinfoil:

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Mrs. Dash posted:

My favorite star trek thing is you can request a video chat with just about anybody and there is a 99% chance they are sitting next to their display ready to jump on a galactic phone call from a space stranger

That's because if you don't answer in 5 seconds, Worf says, "They're not responding. I recommend photon torpedos. Full spread."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mrs. Dash posted:

Also, when you hail an entire planet, only one person will respond and it's always the person you want.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe star trek alien of the day nonsensical layout is the way it is because it's just badly simulated reality

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

However, Kira learned to stop answering calls at 3 AM from Dukat.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

That isn't what happened.

The armistice was agreed to in 2367. The treaty was actually done 3 years later. The troop movements and the destruction of a colony and trying to frame it on bajorans was all pre-treaty.

They were never told "oh you can totally live here and have the same rights and protections as if you lived in the federation" They were told, repeatedly, that they should move and the federation will help them move.

The "treaty" you're thinking of with Picard wasn't a treaty but was those federation citizens renouncing their citizenship and joining the cardassian government.

The treaty I am talking about with Picard was a complete renegotiation of the Cardassian treaty. The Federation had promised the Cardassians that they would trade certain systems and they would evacuate those systems. Admiral Nechayev ordered Picard to forcibly remove the colonists if they wouldn't leave. There was no period where they said "Oh, you should leave, you don't want to live under the Cardassians." They were going to be forced to leave.

Picard's treaty completely changed this. He had to renegotiate it with the Cardassians, because the Cardassians were trying to settle those planets. They weren't going to let anyone stay there! Instead of simply moving the populations of the planets being traded, all the planets in the region were now put in a demilitarized zone, so that neither side could station military forces there. Which meant that according to treaty the Cardassians weren't allowed to roll in and expel all the Federation settlers.

The settlers were willing to accept Cardassian rule. What they weren't willing to accept was the Cardassians arming the local Cardassian colonies to start trying to wipe them out. Because the Cardassians did not want Federation settlers on those planets. They wanted them gone so they could settle their own people there. The Maquis started arming themselves to defend themselves and the Federation basically disowned them for breaking the treaty, when it was the Cardassians who broke the treaty.

Now from the Cardassian perspective this is really lovely as well. You take three years to negotiate a treaty, then a group of colonists decides they don't want to leave. So a Federation captain tries to renegotiate the whole treaty! Why would you accept this as the Cardassians? There's only one reason to not reject this out of hand: the Cardassians felt they were in no position to reject any terms that the Federation imposed. The Federation had thoroughly trounced the Cardassians. And they had offered a territory swap as a way of mending fences.

So from the Cardassian perspective, the Federation is already acting in bad faith, so they feel no real desire to actually abide by this treaty, as long as they can avoid getting caught breaking it. So they start arming the Cardassian colonists in the DMZ.

Basically, both the Cardassians and the Maquis feel like the Federation betrayed them, and they are both right. The Federation is absolutely responsible for what happened afterwards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Flipswitch posted:

The Ds9 ep of Dax and the Klingons vs the Albino is on and I'm never sure if I like this episode or not

The bad guy grunts in this are so cheap. They are lower rent than the Putties from Power Rangers

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Holy poo poo, TNG Season One has not aged well at all.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

The settlers were willing to accept Cardassian rule. What they weren't willing to accept was the Cardassians arming the local Cardassian colonies to start trying to wipe them out.

that's the really funny part, because exactly what did they think cardassian rule would be if not that?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

rape gangs

Rape Gangs

RAPE GANGS

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

that's the really funny part, because exactly what did they think cardassian rule would be if not that?

Federation optimism can be pretty blind, but after the Setlik Massacre this is pretty out of touch, yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Federation also cut a really bad deal with Cardassia because they were reeling from Wolf-359 and didn't have the firepower needed to back up their negotiations. It was quick and it was messy and it left a lot of citizens in the DMZ out in the cold.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Federation also cut a really bad deal with Cardassia because they were reeling from Wolf-359 and didn't have the firepower needed to back up their negotiations. It was quick and it was messy and it left a lot of citizens in the DMZ out in the cold.

I like how they made this point but then a few years later they had multiple massive fleets worth of ships ready to fight the dominion. Starfleets shipyards must crank them out like WW2 liberty ships

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mrs. Dash posted:

rape gangs

Rape Gangs

RAPE GANGS

The first time my girlfriend heard Tasha casually mention rape gangs, she was like “wait what the gently caress did she just say”.

Season one TNG :cripes:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If you steal her purse after the rape you are kicked out of the Rape Gang.

You wanna be a thief? Then go and join a Thief Gang. This gang is specifically rape oriented.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mrs. Dash posted:

I like how they made this point but then a few years later they had multiple massive fleets worth of ships ready to fight the dominion. Starfleets shipyards must crank them out like WW2 liberty ships

I mean that's kind of exactly what happened. Between Worf-359, the Klingon Civil War, the DMZ dispute, the Dominion threat, the Klingon-Cardassian War and the second Borg attack on Earth, they were cranking out ships fast to deal with a dozen problems.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with replicators and transporters it isn't strange that they could pump out ships real dang fast. the problem was crew. no shows ever really went into that, which isn't too strange considering that they stopped continuing the tng timeframe and went all in on garbage prequels instead. picard doesn't really need to be mentioned, as it is a sequel to nemesis rather than tng.

of course, this was also the initial premise of the orville and they did go into it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Mrs. Dash posted:

rape gangs

Rape Gangs

RAPE GANGS

I'm trying to get through Season 1, Episode 7 where the crew of the Enterprise apparently has sexual intercourse with a race of people that appear to be cognitively limited. The implications are making my skin crawl. Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

strong argument that TNG season 1 is the worst star trek ever made. absolute miracle that season didn't kill the franchise forever

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Welp, guess I gotta watch tng season 1 to be able to follow the discussion now

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

strong argument that TNG season 1 is the worst star trek ever made. absolute miracle that season didn't kill the franchise forever

Code of Honor is so bad and ignorant that I used to think it had to be rejected TOS script. It's not.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
You gotta remember that, as bad as TNG Season 1 was, the state of American TV in 1987 was so bad that it was still the best [only?] dramatic science fiction series on television here. Excepting some cable anthology shows like Ray Bradbury Theater, and fantasy/horror stuff like Tales from the Darkside or The Hitchhiker.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

The treaty I am talking about with Picard was a complete renegotiation of the Cardassian treaty.

Yes, I understand you are claiming this but it doesn't actually happen. You should watch the episode again.

Picard: "Anthwara, I want to be absolutely sure that you understand the implications of this agreement. By giving up your status as Federation Citizens, any future request you or your people make to starfleet will go unanswered. You will be on your own, and under Cardassian jurisdiction."

They don't change the treaty. It was literally just that one specifically colony not getting lined up and shot offhand.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Weeeeeell it's heavily implied that if they actually went to war properly they'd have trounced the Cardassians, and even after all those things happening they probably would've been able to do it, but they would've had to convert to a war footing and they weren't willing to do that.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

I'm trying to get through Season 1, Episode 7 where the crew of the Enterprise apparently has sexual intercourse with a race of people that appear to be cognitively limited. The implications are making my skin crawl. Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea?

I don't remember any sexual intercourse in Lonely Among Us, just hokey alien costumes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TNG's first season was clunky and stupid and ignorant in places but it's not worse than Discovery's first year (at least) or all of Picard, and as pointed out it was effectively the only real game in town at the time and ended up heavily influencing the genre on tv for the next decade. Today's Trek shows are trash tier compared to many of their contemporaries even after multiple seasons and showrunners, and in 20 years I can't imagine anyone will give a poo poo about them except for the kind of nerds that will still be 3d printing reproduction eaglemoss ships from the their parents' basement in the ruins of a north american suburb during full on ecological collapse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Clark Nova posted:

They could've gotten off at the Amelia Earhart planet. They could've set up a a potato-farming colony in kazon territory, to keep the marquis spirit alive. They could've hijacked the threshold shuttlecraft, stocked it with the threshold antidote, and gotten back to the alpha quadrant in time to be genocided by the jem'hadar
That would have been interesting if some of the Earhart planet folks (not the actual 1937s era people, but their descendants) had decided to tag along, actually. To go live on their ancestral homeworld, knowing it's a one-way trip. Then you'd have a whole population who have no real context for federation society to be exposited to and clash over. And they could informally enlist, and Harry can get a promotion because you've got a bunch of Acting Ensigns to be lower deckers!

with replicators and transporters it isn't strange that they could pump out ships real dang fast. the problem was crew. no shows ever really went into that, which isn't too strange considering that they stopped continuing the tng timeframe and went all in on garbage prequels instead. picard doesn't really need to be mentioned, as it is a sequel to nemesis rather than tng.

of course, this was also the initial premise of the orville and they did go into it.
I think given the population of the federation, that wouldn't be a problem - at least when it comes to filling uniforms. Mariner in Lower Decks, for example, was expected to have made captain (and at least one of her academy classmates already was), despite not being all that much older than the other ensigns. Which could be explained (aside from her apparently being a prodigy with officers for parents, which means she might have joined the academy relatively young) by there being a lot of empty captain's chairs needing to be filled. Which comes with its own problems.

Also, while a lot of ships were lost, there wasn't always a corresponding loss of 100% of the crews. So there's probably a lot of crew who've had at least one ship shot from under them (see: Sisko, Benjamin).

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I think Star Trek online, or at least an older expansion, has your character jump into the captain's chair as an ensign because the federation is at war and they've got more ships than captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

The first third of the season or so is truly bad, but after that it does improve a lot.