Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Zwabu posted:

I realized tonight that I'm really pissed at the way the press has covered the story about GHWB criticizing the role Cheney and Rumsfeld played in the GWB administration.

The media has only covered the superficial "oh no he dint" aspect of the criticism and the reaction of Cheney and Rumsfeld to it.

The broader implications are not touched upon at all.

One of the biggest critiques against ANY current GOP pol seeking the presidency, but JEB in particular, is the fact that the same neocon foreign policy, run by the same exact people, will likely be featured in any such administration. And there has not been a full or honest accounting or acknowledgment of error by Republicans about the Iraq invasion, preparation for 9/11 or any of it.

It's notable for GHWB to make these critiques, and it's a strong if a bit indirect critique of GWB foreign policy, coming from an elder GOP statesman who worked with and employed those same people.

So a reasonable and necessary element of a story about this, in my opinion, would include examining Jeb making up his foreign policy team out of GWB retreads and whether recycled neocon foreign policy is right or what America should want. And just like Trump bringing up that 9/11 happened on GWB's watch, it's a Republican giving the opening, but the press doesn't want to take it.

Everyone's still cowed by residual Bush administration intimidation from the immediate 9/11 fallout.

i dont think the media, the same one that breathlessly parroted every neocon talking point about wmds and how we will be liberators and overlooking the flag draped coffins, is going to do what you hope they will do. scrutinizing those years would show they were just as swept up in war frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Exactly. The 47 delegates would all also become unbound if Christie were to drop out of the race before the convention, at which point (or after the first ballot) they're all free to vote for whomever they want. They also don't have to vote as a group. Nor, if they become unbound, do they have to vote for someone who actually ran in the primary. Nominations on the floor work as they normally would under Robert's Rules. If they can get a sufficient second, they can put any name into nomination.

Well, in that sense, I suppose it wouldn't matter that much even if Jeb had zero delegates. If by some miracle it becomes politically expedient to rally behind JB in the later rounds, most delegates will eventually fall in line no matter who they were originally selected by.

I imagine that is how Ron Paul left his mark on 2012, he probably had die-hard delegates that kept voting for him even in the 34th round of voting.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Well, in that sense, I suppose it wouldn't matter that much even if Jeb had zero delegates. If by some miracle it becomes politically expedient to rally behind JB in the later rounds, most delegates will eventually fall in line no matter who they were originally selected by.

I imagine that is how Ron Paul left his mark on 2012, he probably had die-hard delegates that kept voting for him even in the 34th round of voting.

Romney won on the first round of voting.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

quote:

In his 1990 autobiography, “Gifted Hands,” Mr. Carson writes of a Yale psychology professor who told Mr. Carson, then a junior, and the other students in the class—identified by Mr. Carson as Perceptions 301—that their final exam papers had “inadvertently burned,” requiring all 150 students to retake it. The new exam, Mr. Carson recalled in the book, was much tougher. All the students but Mr. Carson walked out.

“The professor came toward me. With her was a photographer for the Yale Daily News who paused and snapped my picture,” Mr. Carson wrote. “ ‘A hoax,’ the teacher said. ‘We wanted to see who was the most honest student in the class.’ ” Mr. Carson wrote that the professor handed him a $10 bill.

No photo identifying Mr. Carson as a student ever ran, according to the Yale Daily News archives, and no stories from that era mention a class called Perceptions 301. Yale Librarian Claryn Spies said Friday there was no psychology course by that name or class number during any of Mr. Carson’s years at Yale.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ben-carsons-past-faces-deeper-questions-1446861864

To beat the pay wall just google the headline, click da link.

Ben Carson's entire life is a lie, and because of a fumble by Politico he's going to skate free once again.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Are all delegate apportionment rules as complicated as alabama? Because even after reading what Joementum posted twice it doesn't make any sense to me.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Please god someone make a sequel to Game Change about Carson's "talk absolute nonsense all the time" strategy

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Three years ago today, Trump melts down over Republicans losing

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Congrats to @KarlRove on blowing $400 million this cycle. Every race @CrossroadsGPS ran ads in, the Republicans lost. What a waste of money.

Pretty sure this is his origin story

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 7, 2015

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Zoran posted:

I don't find that suspicious in the slightest. It may or may not be true, but I'm willing to take him at his word on that one because I know lots of smart people who only applied to one school. Sometimes it worked out.

I only applied to one school and got in. Then I doubled down on my stupidity and only applied to one grad school and got in there too. Granted neither of those schools were Ivy League and only applying one place is silly, but people do it all the time.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Amount of delegates in Alabama each candidate is submitting (out of a full slate of 47)

Trump/Carson/Rubio/Cruz 47
Paul 45
Bush 29
Santorum/Kasich 19
Fiorina 16
Huckabee 7
Uncommitted 4
Christie/Graham/Jindal 0
Not on the ballot: Gilmore/Pataki

Next filing deadline is Arkansas on Monday! Everyone's submitted for Arkansas except Paul, Santorum, Jindal, Pataki, and Gilmore. How many of them will be able to get their paperwork done by Monday? (Arkansas also has a $25,000 filing fee, which is literally more than the Pataki campaign has cash on hand, so...)

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Ben Carson was at the Yale gym, when he noticed a guy curling in the squat rack. Ben approached him and, in his calm, quiet way, asked him to please free up the space and curl elsewhere.

The man rudely replied, "Do you even lift, bro? If you can lift a heavier load than I, I'll leave."

Ben Carson calmly opened his gym bag and withdrew a spare Bible. "Here, this is the heaviest burden for any man to carry." The man accepted the gift and all anger in his face was swept away.

"Here's 10 dollars" he said, handing Carson the bill along with his thanks.

That very same 10 dollar bill would be used by Carson a weekend later to stop a rampaging grizzly bear and save everyone's life. Carson only had one 10 dollar note, so it's quite miraculous that only one bear needed to be befriended that day.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I think I would watch a cartoon show that was just made up Ben Carson stories told in the tone of his "real" stories...

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
That Carson press conference is so good. There's a fine line to walk between talking poo poo to the media and sounding like a fussy baby and he's clearly jumped over to the fussy baby side of that line.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gentlemen, I present to you the undisputed hottest take of the season,

"Ben Carson Defends Himself Against Allegations That He Never Attempted to Murder a Child"

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/ben-carson-may-have-never-stabbed-anyone.html?mid=fb-share-di

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

"What, we need to retake the test?! This is bullshit!" exclaimed 149 of 150 students who then stood up and immediately left en masse.

LOL

No guys, you don't understand, he's really smart. Like, a brain surgeon. Why won't you accept his role as our next President??

It's really funny (and cathartic) to see Smoothrich's hero get publicly shamed like this.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I wonder if Ben Carson (or smoothrich) will call the WSJ a liberal shitrag now that they're pilling on this too

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

memy posted:

I wonder if Ben Carson (or smoothrich) will call the WSJ a liberal shitrag now that they're pilling on this too

No, it'll just never gain traction since Carson has launched a successful "media witchhunt with their gotcha questions!" counter narrative.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Oiled and Ready posted:

This is all I need to see to prove that this election has gone off the rails, a solid 50% of the people reading this thread just took it on faith that this story was true (me included)

The election has gone off the rails but all this really proves is that lots of goons are really gullible.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think his Can't Handle will stick more than any allegation. There's a point where someone looks like they're hiding something with how spirited they are against scrutiny. Like the emails is bullshit but people don't like how Hillary handled it.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Coatlicue posted:

Are all delegate apportionment rules as complicated as alabama? Because even after reading what Joementum posted twice it doesn't make any sense to me.

Alabama's rules are among the most complicated because of the split between voting for candidates and voting for delegates. Still, it's not likely to make any meaningful difference. The way these primary elections usually work out, one candidate receives a majority of the votes in the state and are awarded all, or nearly all, of the delegates.

The other interesting factor here is that primary results are initially reported as a state-wide total, but you'll notice that Alabama, and many other states, actually award delegates based on the vote in congressional districts. This often leads reporters to mis-report the delegate count for candidates in the primary race. Voters in later primaries hear this and think that one candidate is ahead by more than they actually are. Primary voters will often back the leading candidate because it's a strong signal that the party support that candidate, and so should they, so being perceived to have more delegates than you actually have is a distinct advantage.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 22, 2016

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Whether it's real or fake, that psychology test story seems more about obedience then honesty to me. Everyone else in the class refused to participate in some obvious bullshit, and were proven right to do so

The scenario does sound like something a psychology professor in the 70s or whatever would do though

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Publication release January 2016

Good time for another book tour.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

from carsons home

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

joe football posted:

Whether it's real or fake, that psychology test story seems more about obedience then honesty to me. Everyone else in the class refused to participate in some obvious bullshit, and were proven right to do so

The scenario does sound like something a psychology professor in the 70s or whatever would do though

In any case there's no reason to assume it would eliminate all but one student, which is what the professor apparently had in mind

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

What is it with Carson and $10 bills?

It was probably just a device to tie the story back into itself theatrically. Like, he writes a prayer on the first $10 bill he sent to Yale, and then years later he miraculously finds that same 10 dollar bill later when he's questioning his faith or enduring some hardship.

It probably got edited out because there's a limit to how gullible evangelicals are.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Why is Ben Carson hanging out with a Klingon??

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I have breaking news. I have found Carson's class picture

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

from carsons home

You forgot poverbs

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 22, 2016

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do It Once Right posted:

It probably got edited out because there's a limit to how gullible evangelicals are.

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Ben Carson: Jesus Has Same Style Beard as Me, But Fuller; Also, a Widow's Peak

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

Why is Ben Carson hanging out with a Klingon??

jesus has the best bloodwine

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

I love Jesus sticking his hand out to show you his wounds as if to prove that it's him.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
OK, I lost it at the Mannatech N9ne rhymes. Brilliant.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

No but seriously that Jesus looks like he should be airbrushed onto a van

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

No but seriously that Jesus looks like he should be airbrushed onto a van

Or an amusement park ride

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

please dont mock the painting, friend bear made it with his mighty claws as a sign of bens deep connection with the wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

The key thing to remember is that none of this has mattered in any primary since 1976.

Did this have to do with Reagan trying to steal the nomination from Ford at the convention?

• Locked thread