Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah I'm kind of wondering if everyone here keeps an age list of their favorite games characters or something.

Locke I only remember because it stands out to me. Lost Odyssey is the joke answer. If you asked me Zidane's age, I'd say man I dunno fuckin early, mid twenties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Brother Entropy posted:

outside of games where age is kind of an important thing i couldn't tell you the age of basically any video game character ever and idk why people get hung up on what amounts to a piece of trivia in an instruction manual being unrealistic

It's important to know whether a character is an adult or a 20 year old kid. It changes the way their character should be perceived. Like Cecil's actually not this experienced badass military commander. It sucked finding out that Cecil and Kain were age 20.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely have no idea what you mean by this either from the trailers or from actually playing the game. It's goofy and lighthearted but not in any way that feels out of tone of the series to me, at least assuming you're counting the SNES/NES games and FF9. A huge chunk of the jokes in the game are literally references to or even borrowed directly from the mainline games.

Admittedly I also felt like Bravely Second was fine and that was like 90% puns and stupid jokes by weight so YMMV.

Are you allowed to elaborate on the bolded or at least tell me how it compares to Alba from Final Fantasy Dimensions?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are you allowed to elaborate on the bolded or at least tell me how it compares to Alba from Final Fantasy Dimensions?

The entire game is full of cheesy self-aware jokes. Characters will get into pun fights, berate each other for breaking the fourth wall, or rag on each other for doing stupid stuff. It doesn't really feel like Alba to me not in the least because it's the tone of the entire game and not a single character and because a lot of the jokes involve actual Final Fantasy characters or the situation and not "It's over 9000!"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Speaking of ages, when I played Mystic Quest as a child I thought Tristam was an old grey haired woman. I still like that idea more, this old lady who is a better adventurer than you and keeps stealing all the coolest treasure.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Wendell posted:

Speaking of ages, when I played Mystic Quest as a child I thought Tristam was an old grey haired woman. I still like that idea more, this old lady who is a better adventurer than you and keeps stealing all the coolest treasure.

This is good and now what I believe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

in hironobu sakaguchi's final fantasy 13, sarah is so old that she has grandkids and seth's son is like 60

I unironically believe SE should acquire Mistwalkers rights to Lost Odyssey so I can get chibi Kaim in world of final fantasy 2

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Wendell posted:

I always figured he was a totally radical 90s ninja man, but I am willing to board the adventure grandma train.

Barudak posted:

I unironically believe SE should acquire Mistwalkers rights to Lost Odyssey so I can get chibi Kaim in world of final fantasy 2
I am also down for this. Honestly I'd be good for anything Lost Odyssey. It was an OK game with a great setting and characters.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Even with absolutely no context, that is glorious.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Electric Phantasm posted:

holy poo poo i just got loving triggered.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Will World of Final Fantasy be on PC?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

probably in like 16 months

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's a long time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

depends on your perspective i suppose

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

is that Brave Exvius mobile game any good?

Also is the FFT War of the Lions phone port good? I've heard conflicting things, some say it's stable some say it's not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's mobile garbage like all mobile garbage.

The phone port of FFT is fine as long as you don't mind touch controls and have a device made in the last couple of years.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

No it's mobile garbage like all mobile garbage.

The phone port of FFT is fine as long as you don't mind touch controls and have a device made in the last couple of years.

how new is new enough for FFT to run well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It runs fine on the budget Android pad I bought around the start of 2015, other than that I couldn't tell you.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The only thing putting me off WoFF is that the battles look boring to me from videos but maybe that's the person playing.

What's folks general thoughts on the stacking system? Aside from it being cute.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
I'm sort of morally opposed to WoTL. They blurred out some really beautiful sprite work just because people are terrified of pixels and the new translation is overwrought and pretentious. I don't why they even bothered translating Barely English to Still Barely English. A lot of good lines came out of the terrible translation of the original, too.

Life is short... bury! Steady sword!

I don't know whether they fixed the FPS issues in the mobile port but they're definitely still around on PSP.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The new translation may be overdone and pretentious and a poor imitation of Alexander O Smith's work on FFXII and Vagrant Story but at least I knew what the gently caress was going on in the story. There are some serious rose tinted glasses on SA regarding the original translation which was completely incomprehensible to me and frequently changed characters names mid-conversation which made it completely impossible to follow when the plot is fantasy War of the Roses but with a demonic religion controlling everything and as such is full of political intrigue.

I'll take a translation that is up its own rear end but comprehensible over one which is almost Wild Arms 2 levels of awful but had a few unintentionally funny lines.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, when I played the new translation there were definitely a few, "So THATS what was happening," moments.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fft's translation being up its own rear end is just being faithful to the game's story

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Short of the Germonik Scriptures which is just codex-tier garbage imo, I'm not really sure what parts of the story the original translation failed to convey. It's pretty basic, if :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't ever hear the phrase "little money" without wanting to doze off.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

The White Dragon posted:

Short of the Germonik Scriptures which is just codex-tier garbage imo, I'm not really sure what parts of the story the original translation failed to convey. It's pretty basic, if :psyduck:

As someone who just recently replayed it a month ago, the entirety of Act 4 is nigh incomprehensible. There were parts I legitimately had no idea what was going on or why it was going on.

That being said, gently caress the re-translation. They pulled the same poo poo with Symphony of the Night for the PSP and it was loving garbage. SOTN didn't even NEED a new translation, everything was fine the way it was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WoFF hype deflated, that was some boring one note combat jeez. Didn't help that the demo explained nothing about how anything worked, was it even possible to do more than attack, imprism, defend unless you switch to classic mode? Doesn't matter anyway just keep hitting attack and win.
Hoping it's just a bad demo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you couldn't understand fft then you are stupid. It's harsh, but it's also true

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't blame Square, blame yourself or god

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
FFT's new translation is superior, full stop.

Thanks for reading.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Levantine posted:

FFT's new translation is superior, full stop.

Thanks for reading.

this is untrue btw

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The original translation is better because it doesn't have lines like this.

Delita: Is our forked tongue done flitting? What I'd hear from your lips are not words!

Ramza: You'll pardon me my misgivings, but this has not the look of any joyous reunion. To arms!

There were times playing the new version that I actually had to look up the non-flowery simpler translation to see what the hell they were talking about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

some guy on the bus posted:

The original translation is better because it doesn't have lines like this.

Delita: Is our forked tongue done flitting? What I'd hear from your lips are not words!

Ramza: You'll pardon me my misgivings, but this has not the look of any joyous reunion. To arms!

There were times playing the new version that I actually had to look up the non-flowery simpler translation to see what the hell they were talking about.

I'm sorry you're dumb

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It changed guts to mettle. Unforgivable.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have the same opinion of the WotL relocalization as I do the Symphony of the Night one.

and that is that you can have my BURY STEADY SWORDS and PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL RELIGIONS when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Golden Goat posted:

The only thing putting me off WoFF is that the battles look boring to me from videos but maybe that's the person playing.

What's folks general thoughts on the stacking system? Aside from it being cute.

The combat is my #1 concern with it too from videos I've seen. Demo is apparently out in NA now, I'll have to give it a try when I get home.

From the sound of it from other people who've tried it already, the random encounters are brainless but the boss fight has some mechanics going on. You can apparently switch between Active and Wait, and can adjust the battle ATB speed, so you can set it to fastest speed and Active to help make it more fast if nothing else. Also, you can hold R1 to just turbo mode through battle on top of that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can put it on auto-battle and hold down R2 and never have to do anything else.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gologle posted:

this is untrue btw

Who is Dycedarg's elder brother?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Original FFT translation is horrible garbage 99% of the time and the wotl translation is bad maybe 50% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Both translations are poo poo because no one speaks like a pirate.