Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Gaius Marius posted:

DS2 is the best of the series

ds2 is great and speeds the combat up a bit. ds3 is a wildly fast game and also utterly mediocre

softfs was a lovely update though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That soul memory though

Imagine an rpg with classic Japanese dungeon-crawler DNA in it that actively punishes grinding

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nonsense. Asking for help is cowardice

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I dunno, i never had a problem finding pvp any time i played. though i think all the servers are dead now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ilmucche posted:

ds2 is great and speeds the combat up a bit. ds3 is a wildly fast game and also utterly mediocre

softfs was a lovely update though

I think SOFTS is mostly good outside of the Forest of Fallen Giants and Iron Keep.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s funny cause I only played SOTFS and for all the complaints I’ve heard of it being like a “kaizo romhack” version of DS2, it’s still on the whole much less cruel and lovely about its tricks and traps than 1 or 3.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

christmas boots posted:

I think SOFTS is mostly good outside of the Forest of Fallen Giants and Iron Keep.

Iron keep hate I get but what’s wrong with the forest of fallen giants? That’s the place with the river right off Majula right? I thought it was pretty well put together

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

3 is my personal favorite of the Fromsoft games specifically with the word Souls in the title. It's on par with Bloodborne and Elden Ring for me, though not as good as the greatest action game of all time Sekiro.

2 has some levels I really like, even though they seem to be some of the more maligned levels in the series. I like Earthen Peak with its spooky windmill and King's Field vibes. I like the spider hell valley and its spiders. The dragon zone has a terrible boss I never bothered with but is otherwise cool. I also really liked Lucatiel and her sword and was bummed that I haven't found a greatsword in ER that has the same moveset.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Frank Frank posted:

Iron keep hate I get but what’s wrong with the forest of fallen giants? That’s the place with the river right off Majula right? I thought it was pretty well put together

I always just felt like it had the difficulty upped in a major way from vanilla and made it an early speedbump in a way other areas weren't. Like it was primarily designed to gently caress with people who'd played the original instead of just being good on its own merits to old and new players alike. I guess it felt a little kaizo to me.

Especially because overall I thought Scholar did a good job of changing things up without giving me that feeling.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The hardest part by far of DS2 was the huge amount of boss fights with multiple enemies, and SotFS didn't change that in any way. I never played the original and SotFS didn't feel that much harder than what I expect out of a DS game. Though admittedly when I played DS3 a few months later I pretty much steamrolled it with maybe only 3 or 4 bosses taking more than 10 tries a piece between 3 runthroughs. Whether that's because I was still warmed up from DS2 or because DS2 was legit much harder, I dunno

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ds2 got criticism for having lots of fights against big dude in armour. And it does. But From is really good at fights against big dudes in armour. The combat is faster than 1 but still keeps that nice careful tactics to it that the later games lose. And the DLCs are some of the best level design From have ever done.

One important thing is that Adaptability controls your iFrames when dodging, so until you level the relevant stat to get that up to say 95 dodging is awful and makes the game feel so clumsy.

One thing dragging it down is... A lot of it feels unfinished and unexplained. And some of that is intentional and important to the plot and the themes of the game, and some of it feels like they ran out of time.

Ds3 is absolutely more of a direct sequel than 2, but 2 I think is important for 3 to really hit as well as it does. You need that steady build from the world is falling apart -> the world has fallen apart -> no seriously guys, its fallen apart even more (and then the dlc falls apart as far as it can, this time I mean it)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

My issue with softfs is more that it I beat ds2 vanilla on console then got scholar on pc which came with the dlc, and wow I thought the dlcs sucked bad

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

FROM fights against big dudes in armor is still way better than FROM fights against 50 foot leviathans that gently caress the camera up

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Scholar is frustrating to talk about because for every dumb, bad, and/or indefensible change there's at least two more significant improvements. It constantly vacillates between being a wacky romhack and a genuine Director's Cut.

kazil posted:

FROM fights against big dudes in armor is still way better than FROM fights against 50 foot leviathans that gently caress the camera up

Always been baffled that people could complain about fighting dudes in armor in a series where literally all of the fan favorite bosses are dudes in armor. Sure, not a whole lot of DS2 bosses are actually Artorias level quality, but that has nothing to do with the visual or conceptual design.

And indeed, what is the alternative supposed to be? More lovely dragon fights?

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Apr 27, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ds2 got criticism for having lots of fights against big dude in armour. And it does. But From is really good at fights against big dudes in armour. The combat is faster than 1 but still keeps that nice careful tactics to it that the later games lose. And the DLCs are some of the best level design From have ever done.

One important thing is that Adaptability controls your iFrames when dodging, so until you level the relevant stat to get that up to say 95 dodging is awful and makes the game feel so clumsy.

One thing dragging it down is... A lot of it feels unfinished and unexplained. And some of that is intentional and important to the plot and the themes of the game, and some of it feels like they ran out of time.

Ds3 is absolutely more of a direct sequel than 2, but 2 I think is important for 3 to really hit as well as it does. You need that steady build from the world is falling apart -> the world has fallen apart -> no seriously guys, its fallen apart even more (and then the dlc falls apart as far as it can, this time I mean it)

DS2 had a notoriously troubled development and at some point they had to scrap a substantial portion of what was planned/essentially start over and make a new game incorporating the assets that had already been created up until that point.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DS2 has a straight-up hideous lighting engine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rockman Reserve posted:

this is bonkers, you can actually see poo poo and determine depth and geometry in DS2, unlike 1

Also yeah From’s best bosses are Dudes In Armor (or sometimes not in armor, like Lady Maria) but ehhh, DS2 has a lot of lame guys like Dragonrider Knight

e: To be clear I would much rather have underwhelming Dudes In Armor than camera bullshit like Deathbird or… however you want to describe the clusterfuck of a fight that is Malenia.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Apr 27, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rockman Reserve posted:

It wasn’t supposed to, but the lighting engine that they wanted to use that made having a torch super mega important got scrapped partway through the game. I think that explains a lot of the weird asset quality problems in the levels, a lot of it wasn’t originally designed to be super visible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was still in the network test. It made it far into development

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dragonrider Knight actually owns because you can make him yeet himself off his boss arena

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

ilmucche posted:

My issue with softfs is more that it I beat ds2 vanilla on console then got scholar on pc which came with the dlc, and wow I thought the dlcs sucked bad

DS2's DLCs are some of the best in the series and contain some of the best boss fights in the series. Fume Knight, Sir Alonne, and Burnt Ivory King alone make DS2 worth playing. The co-op areas in the DLCs can be really frustrating to do solo, but they're both optional and also really not intended to be done solo

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I appreciated all the people complaining about Pontiff in DS3 earlier - while I have yet to actually fully beat a Soulsborne game (I mean, actually beat it - I have like three characters in BB that I could just walk up to Gehrman and end the game with right now, but I wanna kill Orphan and Gehrman and the Moon Presence), the Pontiff is seriously the only boss I've never beaten without summoning. He's just a weird impossible roadblock for me, no matter what playstyle I'm going for.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I haven't beat Sekiro yet (I'm on the last fight) and I haven't played the other modern Fromsoft games, but Sekiro's best bosses are ladies without armor (O'rin of the Water, Lady Butterfly). On the other hand, the Guardian Ape is also really fun once you get the hang of it. It feels like it still "plays by the rules" that Sekiro has set up (other than that one thing), unlike the other "big beast that fucks with your camera" boss, Demon of Hatred. According to a Soulsborne-loving buddy, DoH is more like a Dark Souls boss than anything else in Sekiro and he (my buddy) usually cheeses the fight to avoid actually dealing with it.

After I posted in this thread bitching about Jinsuke and Lady Butterfly, things finally clicked (and I got some good advice here and in the Sekiro thread, thanks again!) and I did pretty well up until the final boss, with only a few big roadblocks along the way, like both Snake-eyes sisters, Owl Dad, and the purple ninjas if they weren't by themselves or if they had names. When I do eventually beat the final boss, I am absolutely going to jump into NG+ immediately, only partially so that I can stomp all over everything that gave me trouble during the first half of the game when I had no skills, and no Skills.

Thread content: Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding are both currently being dragged down by boss fights that I don't want to do because I'd rather be out engaging with the other parts of the game(s) that they do much better (fighting robot dinosaurs in areas that aren't small rooms and hiking across the remnants of the United States to deliver toys to nerds, respectively).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

beats for junkies posted:

Thread content: Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding are both currently being dragged down by boss fights that I don't want to do because I'd rather be out engaging with the other parts of the game(s) that they do much better (fighting robot dinosaurs in areas that aren't small rooms and hiking across the remnants of the United States to deliver toys to nerds, respectively).

At least HZD is pretty good at letting you turn down the difficulty to just chew through boss fights.
I really wanted to love DS, but I ultimately dropped it after an extended section of just driving around delivering stuff, building highways, etc, and just absolutely loving it as a fun low-pressure sandbox. Then I got back to a part where ghosts and bosses exist, and was just like gently caress this, I'm tired of slogging through these to get to the stuff I like.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
DS2's DLCs were really good for the most part with some great boss fights. Loved that dragon fight in Sunken King DLC. The lighting can end up looking pretty good with GeDoSaTo but it's extremely bland looking without.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m so happy Demon of Hatred is optional in Sekiro. It really is hands down the worst fight in the game.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Ok, you loving game, I made it to the final boss in Dark Souls remastered. Should I do NG+, DS2 or DS3 next?

From what I've read, DS3 seems the way to go but NG+ is tempting. Only thing dragging THAT decision down is that I already had to run through every loving area in DS1 fifty god damned times already because I was getting my rear end kicked, as is tradition. But I missed a lot of things and kinda wanna try it again now based on what I learned.

My main thing now is muscle memory and a semi understanding now of how poo poo kind of works. I heard DS3 caters to this more than DS2 but I can pick up either for $20 and kind of want some new areas to repeatedly die in.

IMO none of DS2 or 3 is as good as 1 and neither really leads into the other well so it's a crapshoot. I'd just do them in order to experience it how most people did. Read up on adaptability before you play DS2 though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I feel like it's pretty disingenuous to say DS3 doesn't lead off from DS1 really well, I mean....the plot and themes are extremely clear.

DS2 I have genuinely no idea what the plot is supposed to be, I've rolled a few characters and played for a few hours on each but it kind of seemed to be doing its own thing entirely?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
DS2 is definitely a follow-up to the first game but the specifics take a while to uncover and piece together.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

DS2 is definitely a follow-up to the first game but the specifics take a while to uncover and piece together.

I know this isn't the perfect thread for it, but could you elaborate/give me the view from 10,000 feet? I've always really enjoyed Souls' dumb/weird lore.

e: by the way BiggerBoat the real answer is to play Bloodborne next. If you don't have a PS4 I'm pretty sure it's available on PSNow to play on PC that way.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Apr 28, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Rockman Reserve posted:

I feel like it's pretty disingenuous to say DS3 doesn't lead off from DS1 really well, I mean....the plot and themes are extremely clear.

DS2 I have genuinely no idea what the plot is supposed to be, I've rolled a few characters and played for a few hours on each but it kind of seemed to be doing its own thing entirely?

I'm saying neither DS2 or DS3 lead into the other well. They're both more difficult than DS1 but in different ways, so it's not like I can say hey play DS2 because it will help you get better for DS3 or whatever. And lore-wise DS3 kinda ignores DS2 in favor of riffing off DS1.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rockman Reserve posted:

I know this isn't the perfect thread for it, but could you elaborate/give me the view from 10,000 feet? I've always really enjoyed Souls' dumb/weird lore.

The really short summary is that Dark Souls 2 is set after eons of cycles of Fire and Dark. Some of the pieces don't fall into place until late in the game (or even NG+) and others weren't even in the release version but were added in Scholar of the First Sin (which is itself a reference to something from DS1).

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Apr 28, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Treat Souls games like Final Fantasies in that they are more or less stand alone titles with common themes you can just jump into

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They all feel like variations on the theme of "the old world is dying/falling apart and you're trying to make the best of being in the ruins."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sally posted:

Treat Souls games like Final Fantasies in that they are more or less stand alone titles with common themes you can just jump into

Except DS3, which is more or less a direct sequel, taking place both 20 years after and an aeon after the first.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Wearing sunglasses in Fallout 4 gives you +1 perception, but it should give you -1 perception at night.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All three ask the question "should their be more dark souls" and they answer it in their own ways.

A thing that can be hard to remember is that Scholar of the First Sin re-wrote tons of the item entries and lore so it feels way more connected and loved in that version verses the original where a lot of item descriptions are so short and vague to impart nothing.

Now Max Payne 2, thats a weak sequel with nothing to say.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

To go into slightly more detail than others have posted (spoilers? ahead), the gist of it is that there's a curse plaguing the land (that essentially turns people undead/hollow like in DS1) and you travel to the land of Drangleic to find some way to free yourself from the curse. You end up being directed to hunt down four entities that may or may not be reincarnations of certain figures from DS1 (Nito, Bed of Chaos, Seath, and either Gwyn or the Four Kings) and use those to open the way to Drangleic castle. You learn that at some point Vendrick, the king of Drangleic, was trying to figure out some way to fight the curse but ended up abandoning his kingdom and went underground somewhere. You're directed to track him down and offered the chance to take his place as ruler if you can prove yourself. After finding him and finding out what happened to him, you acquire his ring which you use to visit some other locations that eventually take you to a dragon shrine where a big dragon gives you a heart that lets you dive into the memories of certain figures/maybe travel through time? to learn more about what happened with Vendrick, the giants, and the history of Drangleic. With the stuff you've acquired you can go to the Throne of Want to challenge the final boss and either take over as ruler (which seems to involve linking the flame like in DS1) or turning your back on the whole mess to usher in an age of Dark. SotFS also added in Aldia who appears at certain key points and is himself the Scholar of the First Sin the title references, and implies that the First Sin is the initial linking of the fire that Gwyn performed. He talks philosophically about the whole cycle of fire and has you question why the gently caress you're doing anything your doing, but the final choice of how things proceed is up to you

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Apr 28, 2022

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
In Fallout 3's Point Lookout DLC you could, when looting enemies, see in their inventories that their guns had a "-35 HP" effect. When you took the weapons for yourself though, that effect disappeared. You didn't get to do a big chunk of extra damage, only the enemies did, to make things harder. Only it didn't even really make things harder, you just either died in an instant or had to spend more time healing and slowwwwly, carefully advancing.

That's my experience with Fromsoft DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Rockman Reserve posted:

I appreciated all the people complaining about Pontiff in DS3 earlier - while I have yet to actually fully beat a Soulsborne game (I mean, actually beat it - I have like three characters in BB that I could just walk up to Gehrman and end the game with right now, but I wanna kill Orphan and Gehrman and the Moon Presence), the Pontiff is seriously the only boss I've never beaten without summoning. He's just a weird impossible roadblock for me, no matter what playstyle I'm going for.

Pontiff's attacks either come out much faster or slower than I'm expecting, he really mixes it up. I still get hit by that first lunge much more often than I should because he covers the distance so quickly. Paradoxically his second phase with the shadow clone is a lot easier for me because he mostly sticks to large single (well, double) attacks and not aggressive combos with weird timing