Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

sockpuppetclock posted:

Thanks but none of these have been it!! I made a quick something of the melody cause onomatopoeia is an unrealiable way to express vague ideas of notes
From your description I don't think this is it, but this reminded me of Total Eclipse of the Heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There's a song that NPR plays as like an interlude around Milwaukee that's some kind of uptempo flute instrumental song and I have absolutely no idea what it is. I don't know what program it plays during, but I've heard it dozens of times. Sorry if this is really vague, but it's been annoying me. It might also be canadian public radio, some of their programs are syndicated by the local NPR.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

sockpuppetclock posted:

Looking for a song, reminiscent of the 80s? Late 70s? Slowish somber song, most recognizable from the 3 syllable word/phrase that the singer repeats in a chorus similar to "[daneena].... [daneena], [dey deh det deyhey], [daneenaa]..."

Clutching at straws here, but Telephone Line by ELO?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

khspinner posted:

I am looking to find a song i heard about 9-10 years ago, i cannot remember the lyrics but i remember the video. It was a punk-rock song and the video consisted of the band playing in some dark woods, and throughout the video they all got dragged off one by one.

It was frequently played on the Sky channel "P-Rock"

Was it 4ft Fingers - Last Man Standing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNb2mHE-8k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Man, I used to LOVE that channel.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Nilbog Resident posted:

Haha, no dice but you've definitely nailed the vibe. :black101:

The song has no lyrics / is completely instrumental aside from a little "whoa whoa"ing near the end.

Thanks anyway. Been awhile since I've put on any Judas Priest, in any case.

Kind of sounds like this song by Gary Hoey but maybe not.

Could be any number of songs by guys like Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc. Pretty much every song these guys did were instrumentals and occasionally they got some radio play.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
OK, here's the next one no one will ever get...

I was in a cafe today and this album was playing that had subdued female vocals and sort of repetitive krautrock percussion. One track in particular had quite a high, theremin-like melody playing in it. It was creepy and ethereal and minimal. I reckon it came out sometime in the last 5-10 years, from the sound of it. (edit: it wasn't Portishead, in case it sounds like it from the description)

The person behind the counter said it was Husky Rescue, but nothing I can find by Husky Rescue really sounds it. I think they may have misunderstood my question because by that point a different album was playing (I did say "band before this one" but maybe they misheard). Is there some Husky Rescue album that sounds like what I'm describing, and can anyone guess at what other artist it could have been?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 10, 2012

khspinner
Feb 5, 2012

6EQUJ5 posted:

Was it 4ft Fingers - Last Man Standing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNb2mHE-8k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Man, I used to LOVE that channel.

Yes! That is it thank you, P-Rock was indeed a great channel i am yet to find a replacement.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Popcorn posted:

I was in a cafe today and this album was playing that had subdued female vocals and sort of repetitive krautrock percussion. One track in particular had quite a high, theremin-like melody playing in it. It was creepy and ethereal and minimal. I reckon it came out sometime in the last 5-10 years, from the sound of it. (edit: it wasn't Portishead, in case it sounds like it from the description)

The person behind the counter said it was Husky Rescue, but nothing I can find by Husky Rescue really sounds it. I think they may have misunderstood my question because by that point a different album was playing (I did say "band before this one" but maybe they misheard). Is there some Husky Rescue album that sounds like what I'm describing, and can anyone guess at what other artist it could have been?
wild guess, the track you're describing could possibly be this

don't shoot me if it's way off the mark :v:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

That's not it. Prepare to die!

The vocals had lyrics (didn't catch any) and it was less ambient and more 'song'-like.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Could it possibly be something by Lykke Li? Her album "Wounded Rhymes" came out last year and has its ethereal moments.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

At 0:58 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX1_FxXTiA&feature=channel_video_title

Its an instrumental epic. Sounds like something from the Mass Effect ost or a Two Steps from hell.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Possibly the most difficult song:
There's a song that was everywhere when I was a little kid (circa 1991, in Australia). It had no lyrics, the singer would just make 'mmm' sounds to an obnoxious, annoying tune.

It's not 'Mmm mmm mmm mmm' by the Crash Test Dummies, it literally had no lyrics besides 'mmm'.

I've always been curious about it but is impossible to search for. Anyone?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Buh posted:

Possibly the most difficult song:
There's a song that was everywhere when I was a little kid (circa 1991, in Australia). It had no lyrics, the singer would just make 'mmm' sounds to an obnoxious, annoying tune.

It's not 'Mmm mmm mmm mmm' by the Crash Test Dummies, it literally had no lyrics besides 'mmm'.

I've always been curious about it but is impossible to search for. Anyone?

It's got five more words than you specify, but could it be C+C Music Factory - Things That Make You Go Hmmm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Y50hE5ri8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

sockpuppetclock posted:

Looking for a song, reminiscent of the 80s? Late 70s? Slowish somber song, most recognizable from the 3 syllable word/phrase that the singer repeats in a chorus similar to "[daneena].... [daneena], [dey deh det deyhey], [daneenaa]..."
Found it. Turns out I listened to it on an episode of Uhh Yeah Dude, of all things. It's Micheal Jackson - Morphine. "Demerol... demerol, oh god he's taking demerol..."

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

6EQUJ5 posted:

Could it possibly be something by Lykke Li? Her album "Wounded Rhymes" came out last year and has its ethereal moments.

Nope :(

OK, here's another one... I have a lot of songs I need identifying at the moment, apparently. Can anyone identify this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f743Z4lGUek#t=359s

I've googled the "get out of my bed sample" but I'm getting a poor signal to noise ratio.

Buh
May 17, 2008

6EQUJ5 posted:

It's got five more words than you specify, but could it be C+C Music Factory - Things That Make You Go Hmmm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Y50hE5ri8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Alas, not this one either. Great song, though, brings back memories.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone identify this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f743Z4lGUek#t=359s

I've googled the "get out of my bed sample" but I'm getting a poor signal to noise ratio.

It's from a 7" that goes with the exhibition:
http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/david-shrigley/music-video

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
Are there any surviving links from the album ARC? I have a couple of songs, they were created by SA and the creation dates on the files bring me to around the beginning of August, 2006. It was some kind of electronic music.

A search through the archives around that time didn't turn anything up. I think I got it from an article or link from the front page.

E: Found a link on the main page, http://www.centralarc.com/ but using the wayback machine it looks like the last time this was what I was looking for was July 2009.

Strange.

Dark Solux fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 14, 2012

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

A friend played me a cd in 2007 or 2008 with a rap song on it that I've been looking for ever since.

The whole time this guy is telling a story about trying to make his way into a gang and the main part is remember is when he's "forced" to rape a girl as she's leaving the store and it turns out to be his mom.

Please help me find this hosed up song. Thanks!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

PleasusChrist posted:

A friend played me a cd in 2007 or 2008 with a rap song on it that I've been looking for ever since.

The whole time this guy is telling a story about trying to make his way into a gang and the main part is remember is when he's "forced" to rape a girl as she's leaving the store and it turns out to be his mom.

Please help me find this hosed up song. Thanks!
Immortal Technique - Dance With The Devil

my friend put this song on in the car once and it made his dad cry :negative:

Buh
May 17, 2008
There's a song I used to dance to when I was a little kid. All I can remember is one line: 'your inside's out and your outside's in'. Whenever I heard that line I would run around the house pretending to be a skeleton.

It was my Dad's music, so probably a 70s group. It had maybe 3 or 4 male vocalists.

It's not Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey, which matches the above but sounds nothing like the song I'm thinking of.
Unless there's a cover that differs substantially from the Beatles version?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Immortal Technique - Dance With The Devil

my friend put this song on in the car once and it made his dad cry

I was working day shift in a pizza joint in college, the guy I worked with (he held down the store while I drove pies around town) played eight zillion tons of Immortal Technique and a bunch of equally obnoxious technical death metal (you know the kind, the sort where it's nothing but blastbeats and gravity rolls), and Dance With The Devil made me seriously uncomfortable. It still does.

And yet I was the one who got yelled at by the boss for my music choices for having the DKs on during lunch rush. (because, he said, the customers might not get the point of stuff like Kill The Poor and think we're actively advocating murder) Ah well.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Nope :(

Ok, well here's something a bit different: La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2XmLcnYSwQ

It's what I immediately thought of when I read the description you gave.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

breadcrumb trail posted:

It's from a 7" that goes with the exhibition:
http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/david-shrigley/music-video

Yess! Ta! I actually went to the exhibition last week but somehow missed this.

6EQUJ5 posted:

Ok, well here's something a bit different: La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2XmLcnYSwQ

It's what I immediately thought of when I read the description you gave.

Not it, too clubby.

Of course, I realise my request is impossible to identify. :(

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 14, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In the film "24 Hour Party People" there's a song while (I think) Joy Division is on stage where the chorus is somnething akin to "the in, the outs, the in, the outs" and I can't seem to find the song in question. Any guesses as to what it could be?

Lono was taken
Aug 26, 2006

This is Detective Faggot Mulder, they want to shut down the Ass Files.
I made this 8 second sound clip in a thing called pxtone. It's vocals from a hip hop song, no lyrics it's just like 'ohhhhh ohh ohhhhh' etc. I think I made the tempo a little too fast. Please help, my life is in shambles because I cannot identify it.

http://soundcloud.com/sexyman1488/what

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In the film "24 Hour Party People" there's a song while (I think) Joy Division is on stage where the chorus is somnething akin to "the in, the outs, the in, the outs" and I can't seem to find the song in question. Any guesses as to what it could be?

Digital

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

One more try on this, any help appreciated :)

vanilla slimfast posted:

Need help identifying a mid-90s hiphop instrumental. It's really familiar and I know I should know what it is but I'm drawing a blank.

It's from a Z-Trip mixtape from 1999. The vocal over top is Mobb Deep - Shook Ones but I'm pretty sure this was an on-the-fly mashup during the mix and not an actual remix

Edit: new link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24469932/hiphop_trackid_ztriphiphop99mixtape.mp3

Hope someone can spot it, shazam came up blank

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

vanilla slimfast posted:

One more try on this, any help appreciated :)

That is hauntingly familiar, but I can't place it either. A Tribe Called Quest's "The Pressure" uses the same horn sample but I think most of that song's instrumentals is made from their earlier works and a quick sampling doesn't get me any love. For what it's worth it sounds very Tribe-like, or maybe a little like Public Enemy's Bomb Squad production team.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

ThaGhettoJew posted:

That is hauntingly familiar, but I can't place it either. A Tribe Called Quest's "The Pressure" uses the same horn sample but I think most of that song's instrumentals is made from their earlier works and a quick sampling doesn't get me any love. For what it's worth it sounds very Tribe-like, or maybe a little like Public Enemy's Bomb Squad production team.

Ok, so placing it in The Pressure was enough to identify the horn sample as being lifted from the intro to Funkadelic - Get Off Your rear end And Jam

Going back through and looking at all the tracks that sampled that track

Which lead me to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3UZyqmxFBA

Thanks!

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
One for the classical/orchestral music buffs - although the piece is probably so mainstream you've probably all heard it...

...it's the background music in this 1997 IBM advert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6JJNo_Tl4

Ta!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Hoborg posted:

One for the classical/orchestral music buffs - although the piece is probably so mainstream you've probably all heard it...

...it's the background music in this 1997 IBM advert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6JJNo_Tl4

Ta!

Modest Mussorgsky's famed "Night on Bald Mountain" as arranged by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and popularized by Walt Disney's Fantasia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSbxRiUgOo

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Modest Mussorgsky's famed "Night on Bald Mountain" as arranged by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and popularized by Walt Disney's Fantasia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSbxRiUgOo

Many thanks.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

But why listen to that when you could be listening to Night on Disco Mountain?

Humdrum Hoodlum
Aug 12, 2006
Im trying to remember a song but all I can remember about it is from the music video. It had two guys sitting and their girlfriends playing tennis. The winner's boyfriend would get the other guys' girlfriend for a night. Anyways at the end three of them go off and the two girls lock the guy out of the house.

Not much to go on, but anyone have any thoughts?

For some reason I have it in my head that its by someone called Gorillaz or something but for the life of me cannot find it.

Thanks

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I heard this song on OPB music, so it might be a portland band. The part I heard was pretty loud and hard-hitting, with a howling indie-rock voice. "I don't give a gently caress if I can't sing" kinda style. With neutral-milk-hotel-like horns.

The lyrics for the chorus went something like "I'd follow you into the woods, yeah you know I would. I'd follow into the sea, yeah you know me."

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I'm trying to identify a song with a very Spaghetti-Western feel, and it has a female vocalist singing "ahs" in a style that I can best describe as "whistly". There are also church bells and MAYBE an eagle scream in the song.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

This is a slightly backwards one... the chorus of Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye reminds me heavily of an old song from the 70s or 80s. I keep thinking Peter Gabriel, but I can't place it. Does anyone else get deja vu?

edit: it's not a general thing, it's the chord change/melody specifically.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 21, 2012

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I'm trying to identify a song with a very Spaghetti-Western feel, and it has a female vocalist singing "ahs" in a style that I can best describe as "whistly". There are also church bells and MAYBE an eagle scream in the song.

You're not thinking of The Ecstasy of Gold from The Good The Bad & The Ugly are you?

This request is kinda specific and you have to know Victor Jara, but does anyone know what song is playing at the beginning of this video until about one minute in? I have most of his discography but I can't find this song.

Never mind, found it. It's called Canción del minero, for the curious

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Popcorn posted:

This is a slightly backwards one... the chorus of Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye reminds me heavily of an old song from the 70s or 80s. I keep thinking Peter Gabriel, but I can't place it. Does anyone else get deja vu?

edit: it's not a general thing, it's the chord change/melody specifically.

I've been meaning to ask this as well. Someone played me the song and asked "Do you know this?" I erroneously said yes because I thought I recognised it but I thought it was something else.