Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

I like to think they never went away, all the horrible things there are just terribly bored because the Wizards have moved on though.
The golden age of Holy Wood is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vimes could probably have managed to get them citizenship in Ankh-Morpork to mutual benefits.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
I've read Color of Magic and Interesting times (also Bad Omens) and enjoyed those immensely. Now I'm reading The Last Continent, and it's just boring and I'm kind of slogging through it. Are there other Discworld novels more like the previously mentioned ones, or are more of them like The Last Continent.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The older they are, the more they're going to be like Color of Magic. Terry started going into a different direction quite quickly. I'd say those that are most like it are The Light Fantastic and Sourcery. Possibly Equal Rites but I can hardly remember that one.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

I've read Color of Magic and Interesting times (also Bad Omens) and enjoyed those immensely. Now I'm reading The Last Continent, and it's just boring and I'm kind of slogging through it. Are there other Discworld novels more like the previously mentioned ones, or are more of them like The Last Continent.

Keep going with the older ones in order and stop when you feel they're running out of steam.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'd say don't binge on pratchett. Read 3-4 books in a row, at most. Then stop for a while. Then if you return 6+ months down the line his humor will feel fresh again.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Try different storylines, switch to the Watch or the Witches. (Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters)

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

DrNewton posted:

Dyslexic here. I also work in a book store. I want to give you some tips.

Sorry, realise that this was a while back. Thanks.
I will bear the good advice in mind. Never really thought of it that way.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Last Continent sort of requires you to have visited Australia to enjoy fully.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The older they are, the more they're going to be like Color of Magic. Terry started going into a different direction quite quickly. I'd say those that are most like it are The Light Fantastic and Sourcery. Possibly Equal Rites but I can hardly remember that one.

You say it like it is a bad thing.
For various series, I would say the Witches run out of steam in Lords and Ladies, the Wizards in Last Continent, The Watch in Jingo and Death in Thief of Time.
Which also probably Pratchett realised and gave us Tiffany Aching and Moist, where Moist runs out of steam in Raising Steam.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cardiac posted:

For various series, I would say the Witches run out of steam in Lords and Ladies, the Wizards in Last Continent, The Watch in Jingo and Death in Thief of Time.
Which also probably Pratchett realised and gave us Tiffany Aching and Moist, where Moist runs out of steam in Raising Steam.

Speaking of which, I'm reading through the Moist books at the moment. Is Kidby making a reference to Moist having such an unremarkable face when he draws him differently on each book or is that just a coincidence?
Normally he's fairly consistent in drawing characters so that they're recognisable from first glance. I think the only other person I had trouble recognising was Ridcully on the cover of Unseen Academials, he looks like a generic wizard there along with three or four other generic wizards.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

the Witches run out of steam in Lords and Ladies
Carpe Jugulum disproves this.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm surprised at Jingo's reception here; it's one of my favorite Watch books thanks to the dynamic between Vimes and the D'regs, who 71-hour Ahmed is, and Colon and Nobby's adventures with Vetinari.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
As far as I know, it's well liked here. It's a top 3 book for me along with Mort and Night Watch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, the witches, like the Watch, don't lose steam so much as build up too much steam to the point of becoming more or less unstoppable within their areas of expertise and then having trouble staying inside the lines of a story.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Agnes Nitt (and Perdita) was one of my favourite parts of Carpe Jugulum and I kinda wish she was in more books. Or at least showed up. Or was ever mentioned ever again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, the witches, like the Watch, don't lose steam so much as build up too much steam to the point of becoming more or less unstoppable within their areas of expertise and then having trouble staying inside the lines of a story.
Gatecrashing an established story and putting their own spin on it is pretty much the witches' entire MO, though.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Carpe Jugulum disproves this.

Not really, Carpe Jugulum was not particularly good. The whole thing with subverting fairy tales had become rather predictable at that point and vampires are frankly rather boring.
Maskerade is however better than both Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum.

YggiDee posted:

Agnes Nitt (and Perdita) was one of my favourite parts of Carpe Jugulum and I kinda wish she was in more books. Or at least showed up. Or was ever mentioned ever again.

Sort of the problem with Agnes Nitt was that her entire role was to be fat, and that kinda wore out after a while.

Rand Brittain posted:

This is sort of a problem with all of Pratchetts works, which he usually and thankfully solved by moving on to new characters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cardiac posted:

Not really, Carpe Jugulum was not particularly good. The whole thing with subverting fairy tales had become rather predictable at that point and vampires are frankly rather boring.
Maskerade is however better than both Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum.

Maskerade is very good, but Carpe Jugulum is better than you remember. The theme of all the Witch novels is how stories affect life; Carpe takes the angle of what happens when stories stop being stories. The vampires try to be real in order to stop people fearing them, but in doing so make themselves more frightening and much more monstrous.

Also it has Don'tgonearthe Castle, complete with the sign saying "Do Not Visit The Gift Shoppe!"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Carpe Jugulum also has Mightily Oats in it, and his character arc is rad as hell.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Carpe Jugulum also has Mightily Oats in it, and his character arc is rad as hell.

I loved Mightily Oats, especially the bit where he makes his axe into a holy symbol. It's such a sastifying moment.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

Maskerade is very good, but Carpe Jugulum is better than you remember. The theme of all the Witch novels is how stories affect life; Carpe takes the angle of what happens when stories stop being stories. The vampires try to be real in order to stop people fearing them, but in doing so make themselves more frightening and much more monstrous.

Also it has Don'tgonearthe Castle, complete with the sign saying "Do Not Visit The Gift Shoppe!"

We are pretty much just comparing different opinions here, but I didn't really like Carpe (well, for being a Pratchett book that is. It goes without saying it is a very good book containing lots of hilarious scenes).
Probably it is because I find vampires pretty boring.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I really like how Oats and the vampire daugher both say "Everywhere I look I see something Holy" in such different ways. It's a really powerful moment to me. :)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Upon reflection, I think that Carpe Jugulem is probably the strongest of the witch books. Their characters are firmly established, but they don't feel like caricatures of themselves. Mightily Oats has an excellent character arc and his realization of the holiness of everything is nicely mirrored by the vampires having the same realization with a different outcome. I liked the way that the vampires' attempts to humanize themselves only made the monsters more monstrous.

Oddly, I didn't realize how much I liked it until I went back and thought about it; prior to this thread of conversation here it wouldn't have made my top 10, but reflecting on it has definitely moved it up to #1 Witch book.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The wine drinking scene was funny, "Drink it quickly before it congeals!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just re-read Nightwatch and I had completely forgotten how:gonk: the part were VImes goes from cell to cell in the torture chamber was.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Alhazred posted:

Just re-read Nightwatch and I had completely forgotten how:gonk: the part were VImes goes from cell to cell in the torture chamber was.
I had totally forgotten until rereads how dark the Guard books got too.

And having just finished Snuff for the first time ever (as opposed to the other Guards books which I've all read before) I think Vimes was missing a certain vulnerability he had, even in Thud!. It reminds me of the Die Hard movies where John McClane was badass, but also a loving terrified and hurting dude and you could see the toll everything took on him, and by the third or fourth movie the balance of being a badass to regular dude had shifted too far towards badass and weakened everything. Which is lovely because I absolutely love Vimes as a character but it felt like he was missing the iron self control and carefully channeled suppressed rage he usually has.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Khizan posted:

I liked the way that the vampires' attempts to humanize themselves only made the monsters more monstrous.
Although it's interesting that Pratchett immediately gave the idea of humanised vampires a second chance, with Lady Margolotta and the Uberwald Temperance League. Wonder what she thought of the de Magpyrs' antics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Paul.Power posted:

Although it's interesting that Pratchett immediately gave the idea of humanised vampires a second chance, with Lady Margolotta and the Uberwald Temperance League. Wonder what she thought of the de Magpyrs' antics.

The Magpyrs weren't humanised vampires, though. They were vampires putting on a mask of humanity to convince humans that being cattle was a good thing. To use an analogy: the UTL have quit smoking, the Magpyrs are the marketing division of the tobacco company.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solenna posted:

And having just finished Snuff for the first time ever (as opposed to the other Guards books which I've all read before) I think Vimes was missing a certain vulnerability he had, even in Thud!. It reminds me of the Die Hard movies where John McClane was badass, but also a loving terrified and hurting dude and you could see the toll everything took on him, and by the third or fourth movie the balance of being a badass to regular dude had shifted too far towards badass and weakened everything. Which is lovely because I absolutely love Vimes as a character but it felt like he was missing the iron self control and carefully channeled suppressed rage he usually has.
Snuff is the Live Free or Die Hard of the Watch books. It is not good.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

FactsAreUseless posted:

Snuff is the Live Free or Die Hard of the Watch books. It is not good.

Still better than the train one. Snuff basically made Vimes and his butler into caricatures of themselves, but it was still palatable.

Raising Steam was just all over the place.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The more I hear about Snuff and Raising Steam the more depressed I get. I might just have to leave them unread forever. Everything else is golden though, right?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hedrigall posted:

The more I hear about Snuff and Raising Steam the more depressed I get. I might just have to leave them unread forever. Everything else is golden though, right?

Unseen Academicals is not something I found particularly enjoyable to read besides some bits at the start and honestly I have no idea what the ending was supposed to be about.

Some people think Moving Pictures is a bit weak. People give the non-Death bits of Reaper Man a bad rap but almost every other character is pretty cool, so even if people think the villain is a bit silly, the actions of everyone else still make it fun, at least to me.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm rereading the whole series right now, but I think I'll probably stop at Thud. Making Money marks the start of a noticeable decline IMO. Snuff felt like basically a retread of Thud except with country folk vs goblins instead of dwarves vs trolls, and also Vimes has pretty much literal superpowers. I could not even finish Raising Steam.

Aside from that, I felt no urge to reread Monstrous Regiment but I wouldn't call it bad. All of the young adult stuff is good, even the ones written after Thud.

Also, for those who are cursed to play DOTA2, the most recent patch added an item called the Octarine Core :unsmith:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

bewilderment posted:

Some people think Moving Pictures is a bit weak. People give the non-Death bits of Reaper Man a bad rap but almost every other character is pretty cool, so even if people think the villain is a bit silly, the actions of everyone else still make it fun, at least to me.

Moving Pictures has more straight-up parody stuff than anything else after Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. It reads like it was written earlier, not after Wyrd Sisters. The bits with Gaspode are wonderful.

I'd agree that the non-Death sections of Reaper Man aren't as good as the bits with Death, but that's a really high standard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Unseen Academicals is mixed but I still enjoyed it overall. Otherwise the only books that don't hit are early misses like Eric (which was originally illustrated).

Edit: I also really disliked Making Money, but I might be in the minority on that one.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Making Money I found to be sort of middling. It felt like a rehash of Going Postal, which itself felt like a rehash of The Truth. I have enjoyed all three but I feel that I would have enjoyed Making Money more than I did if it had either tried out some new ground or been produced at a later date. (Though, I suppose, that means it probably wouldn't have been written after all....)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

The Last Continent pretty bad. It's basically just a bunch of dad jokes about Australia.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unseen Academicals is mixed but I still enjoyed it overall. Otherwise the only books that don't hit are early misses like Eric (which was originally illustrated).

Edit: I also really disliked Making Money, but I might be in the minority on that one.

The only one I genuinely don't like is Monstrous Regiment. It was just really predictable -- an one-joke book where you could guess the punchline by the twentieth page.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only one I genuinely don't like is Monstrous Regiment. It was just really predictable -- an one-joke book where you could guess the punchline by the twentieth page.

You mean from the cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought it was a pretty deep book about the horrors of war.