Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

oredun posted:

Dubstep:

http://tindeck.com/listen/qubs

Let me know what yall think.

edit: it keeps crackling from tindeck, but the mp3 sounds fine on my computer. let me know if thats happening to you.

This can happen when the original .wav that you're encoding peaks at 0db.

Try limiting to -0.2db or something before encoding maybe? You could also try using higher quality compression. Your best bet would probably be asking in the mastering thread, I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people than me there :)

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Tindeck player can do that occasionally if you slide its volume slider to the right from its original position. I'm not hearing obvious unintended clipping (at a cursory glance) with the volume slider slightly to the left.

Although the advice above is sound as well.

Harmonically too tense for me, makes me nervous, by the way, but that's perhaps what you were going for.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Another Beatport remix contest! Submissions end by the 18th so get remixing. Not a huge fan of the original but poo poo, I can't say no to free Skrillex stems can I?

http://play.beatport.com/contests/skrillex-damian-marley-make-it-bun-dem/

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Tindeck is a mess - the volume in the middle/default is 100%, and anything to the right pushes it above that and clips. I complained about it years ago and it's still not been fixed, it's why I stopped using it. I cant imagine it's a difficult fix either.

edit: Hows this?
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/2-3-5-7

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 9, 2012

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
nice one, cubicle gangster. I like the modulated delay a lot. In general the space you've created is unique and it sounds like a place that I'd like to chill.

loving TECHNO YES!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hey can anyone tell me about MPCs?

I'm looking at the 2000XL and the 2500 mostly, based on the buttons and the lists of features. I like the 2000XL price but I'm worried I'm going to want the 8 outputs at which point I might as well get the 2500. I like the 2500 cause it has a newer OS with more features (though don't most people use JJOS?), looks a little nicer, it's newer (so less likely to have failing parts), I prefer the button layout, and it has much more usable storage options (zip disks are something I'd like to avoid if possible).

I don't really know how valid those concerns are, though, or if there's differences between the two I'm not aware of or that'll come up down the line. Also, is the 5000 worth considering? I'm seeing them on eBay for not too much more than some of the 2500s. It looked like most of it was letting you do a full song in just the MPC which was something I didn't really care about, and it was almost too big. Is anything it does worth it?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I got bored with my own crap and did a Nine Inch Nails cover. Still needs vocals, obviously. How's my mixing?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Hey can anyone tell me about MPCs?
I believe some of the regulars of the synthesizer thread are MPC enthousiasts (Specifically MrLonghair I think). In any case they're quick with good advice on musical hardware purchases.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

dk2m posted:

Another Beatport remix contest! Submissions end by the 18th so get remixing. Not a huge fan of the original but poo poo, I can't say no to free Skrillex stems can I?

http://play.beatport.com/contests/skrillex-damian-marley-make-it-bun-dem/

I ditched everything except the vocals and built a Dutch house track around it because gently caress Skrillex. It feels like there's just a certain "oomph" that's missing from my track, though. :saddowns:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I believe some of the regulars of the synthesizer thread are MPC enthousiasts (Specifically MrLonghair I think). In any case they're quick with good advice on musical hardware purchases.

I tried asking there first, but I didn't get a response and it got buried under more talk about synthesizers proper, which I took as a subtle hint that I was asking in the wrong place. Thanks, though- maybe I should just be more patient.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

I tried asking there first, but I didn't get a response and it got buried under more talk about synthesizers proper, which I took as a subtle hint that I was asking in the wrong place. Thanks, though- maybe I should just be more patient.
I think it just got overlooked in the midst of a discussion about something else, near the end of a page. I don't think it's the wrong place to ask per se.

I haven't had my hand on any of these machines, so this is the best I can do right now:

MPC2000XL manual
MPC2500 manual
MPC5000 manual
AKAI MPC Forums - JJOS

I found skimming through manuals, as well as watching youtube demo videos, very helpful in my recent search for my first synthesizer. You can learn a lot about workflow, non-obvious limitations and differences between the editions of a device. So maybe you can answer some of your own questions that way.

Other than that, nothing's stopping you from trying again in a few days, maybe rephrased or simplified somewhat.

On a personal, superficial opinion (mostly going by this), I'd say forget about the 2000XL if it only works with floppies or zip disks. That in itself seems like a huge inconvenience. USB for loading samples is a must. So, 2500 vs 5000. The 5000 has new/extra effects buses, if you care for that. Bigger display, more memory (standard). But aparently can't run JJOS. I'd be tempted by it, but it'd depend on what it costs extra. If you can find a reasonably priced 2500 with upgraded memory, I'd probably pick that over paying extra for HDD recording you're not interested in. But again, that's just going by that wikipedia page, I never touched an MPC in my life.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks! I'll do some digging through that and if I still have questions I'll ask again over there. Just reading the JJOS forum is pushing me away from the 2000XL- and I think you're dead on about the floppy/zip thing.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I need advice on where to get good drum samples. The big catch is I'm not really looking for heavily processed samples, I'd like something that sounds more like a drum kit when it's played but still contains tons of variation.

Also any advice on how people lay out drum kits in Live would be appreciated. :)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I need advice on where to get good drum samples. The big catch is I'm not really looking for heavily processed samples, I'd like something that sounds more like a drum kit when it's played but still contains tons of variation.

Also any advice on how people lay out drum kits in Live would be appreciated. :)

I'm partial to Goldbaby's sample packs. I don't use sample packs other than his.

Stay far away from Vengeance sample packs. They're straight up awful, IMO.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

hypersleep posted:

Stay far away from Vengeance sample packs. They're straight up awful, IMO.

I disagree insofar as they're useful for someone just starting out who has no idea what the gently caress they're doing. I'd never want to finish a track with their sample packs but they're pretty decent for sketching out sounds.

And thanks for the link! But those look like they're just sampled drum machines as opposed to actual drums, I think?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Most of Goldbaby's packs are drum machine samples but his When Alien Drum Robots Attack packs have some acoustic kits samples.

I'd recommend going through this list of free acoustic packs put together by the Bedroom Producers blog: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06/24/free-sample-shootout-2-acoustic-drums-full-kits/

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Native Instruments' "Battery" has been my go-to for ages. It has about 12-15 nice acoustic kits, plus some ethnic percussion and a bunch of industrial/synthetic/experimental kits.

A lot of people like the Toontrack and FXpansion drum libraries, by all accounts they are excellent, but I'm pretty comfortable with the workflow of Battery and haven't had occasion to switch. Any of these libraries should also give you a lot of control over how you mix the drums; that is, there are usually separate outputs for close mic'd sound vs. room mics etc.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I prefer using a drum sampler plugin and then routing it out to at least four tracks (kick, snare, hats, other), more tracks depending on the song. This way you can have separate EQ, compression, sends, etc. on each drum part. I then combine the drums together into a submix (highlight the tracks and ctrl/cmd-g to group tracks), sometimes with a little gentle compression or vinyl distortion on the submix.

hypersleep posted:

I'd recommend going through this list of free acoustic packs put together by the Bedroom Producers blog: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06/24/free-sample-shootout-2-acoustic-drums-full-kits/

Whoa thanks I'll definitely check some of those out.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
I've tried a handful of different piano VSTs but none of them have anywhere near the same natural musicality as a real piano. Notes just don't blend together in a pleasant way in my experience without a lot of tweaking.

Is there a particular effects chain that people commonly use that I might be able to use to get a better sound? Or should I just stray away from doing piano in songs until I get access to a real upright I can record?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hydrogen, an open source drum machine, has some interesting drum kits with it. It has a lot of the standard kits (808 emulation, etc), but if you dig around you can find some fresh options. It stores all samples as wav files, so it's not too hard to extract what you need for use with other software.

My favorite is 'ultraacoustickit', which apparently went commercial at some point but if you dig around you can still find the old versions that were released as free.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

h_double posted:

Native Instruments' "Battery" has been my go-to for ages. It has about 12-15 nice acoustic kits, plus some ethnic percussion and a bunch of industrial/synthetic/experimental kits.

A lot of people like the Toontrack and FXpansion drum libraries, by all accounts they are excellent, but I'm pretty comfortable with the workflow of Battery and haven't had occasion to switch. Any of these libraries should also give you a lot of control over how you mix the drums; that is, there are usually separate outputs for close mic'd sound vs. room mics etc.

I have Battery but I have literally no idea how to route it into Live for easy midi arrangement. If I could make it work easily like Live's build in drum-racks I'd be really happy.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I have Battery but I have literally no idea how to route it into Live for easy midi arrangement. If I could make it work easily like Live's build in drum-racks I'd be really happy.

Here is a simple template I made of a Battery kit routed into multiple channels:

http://discolingua.com/battery_soul_kit_live8.zip

I made this on a Mac using the AU version of Battery, so I don't know if it'll work if you are on Windows + VST, but it's worth a try, you should at least be able to load the empty tracks.

Basically, here's how it works.

1. You start out by creating a few blank audio tracks (I called them kick, snare, hat), then add an instrument track with Battery on it. Battery has 32 outputs, which by default are divided into 16 stereo pairs (1/2, 3/4, etc.) You can change this in Battery's Options menu (in the File dropdown) if you want to use mono outputs instead, but let's stick with the default for now. Once all of the tracks in Live are created, I select them all and hit CTRL/CMD-G to create a group (which is labeled "drum buss" here).

2. Decide on a scheme for how you want to route things. The first pair of outputs (1/2) is the master output for anything that's not routed elsewhere. So, I like to put the kick on outputs 3/4, the snare on 5/6, the hats on 7/8, and then go from there if I need separate outs for toms or crash cymbal or whatever. Set the "Audio From" inputs on the individual Live tracks as shown above. Make sure that you switch Monitor to "In" on all of the tracks except for the instrument track containing the Battery plugin (which can remain on Auto).

3. The last step is to set up the routing for the Battery kit. The Soul Kit in this example has multiple mics for most of the drums (room mics, overheads, etc.) I usually prefer a tighter/drier sound so I've muted the room mics (thus the red mute lights in the third row). Anyway, CTRL/CMD click all of the kick drum samples (A1, B1, C1) to select them, then in the lower right of the Battery window, set the output channel to 3/4. Do the same thing, highlighting the Snare samples and routing them to 5/6, and routing the hats to 7/8.

This will all probably seem like a chore at first, but the good news is you only have to do it once for any given Battery kit. SAVE THE LIVE PROJECT WHEN YOU ARE DONE. I have a "templates" directory with a bunch of pre-routed kits saved as skeleton projects, so I can have everything routed just so (usually with some EQ, compression and sends pre-loaded) and not have to redo the same 5-10 minutes of setup every time I want to make a new track.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I've tried a handful of different piano VSTs but none of them have anywhere near the same natural musicality as a real piano. Notes just don't blend together in a pleasant way in my experience without a lot of tweaking.
There's only one piano vst that might be different in that sense, and that's Pianoteq. It gets accolades from some real pianists.

If you haven't already, check out some youtube videos and/or the demo.

Disclaimer: not a pianist, don't have Pianoteq, just love the idea behind it and I'm simply rehashing what reviewers said. But if I'm understanding what you're talking about, there's only that much you can do with effects chains.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've been trying to work on progression - it's always been my weakest suit as far as making s song move along. What better way to work on progression than by writing Progressive House? It's on the short side and definitely unfinished; what could I do to this to make it significantly more interesting? I know the drums definitely need a bit of work.

Mistakes Were Made (rough mix)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I've been trying to work on progression - it's always been my weakest suit as far as making s song move along. What better way to work on progression than by writing Progressive House? It's on the short side and definitely unfinished; what could I do to this to make it significantly more interesting? I know the drums definitely need a bit of work.

Mistakes Were Made (rough mix)
Sometimes it feels like the direction it takes is a bit random. There are plenty of good ideas in there, but you've got to get them organized.

Structure and build up is something that has unwritten conventions. It may feel restrictive and formulaic when you start thinking about it too much, but a lot of tracks follow a very similar pattern. If you make and listen to music a lot you'll develop a feel for this and won't get stuck reïnventing the wheel every eight bars. In the mean time it can help as an excercise to analyze other tracks and try to recreate their structure in your own music, just to learn to get a grip on the 'grammar'.

I like it, though. You understand the sounds of genre and the sort of things that make progress, it's just a matter of getting them in a coherent line.

I also like the title very much :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Mister Speaker posted:

I've been trying to work on progression

I've not been able to listen to this yet, but progression is everyones hardest bit. coming up with a groove is one thing, but making it go somewhere and be part of a whole is the actual difficult part of making a track. keep at it.

Typo92
Nov 6, 2009
Working on some simple complextro/dubsteppy stuff, would appreciate feedback!

http://soundcloud.com/joelsimon/pulverizer

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
My drummer just bought a Roland Octapad and I got really excited because it has a USB port and I thought we might able to load wav samples straight on it via a USB stick. Turns out it can't do that. Do you guys know if there are any samplers or drum pads that let you do that with a USB stick? (I've never used a sampler.)

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Typo92 posted:

Working on some simple complextro/dubsteppy stuff, would appreciate feedback!

http://soundcloud.com/joelsimon/pulverizer

I would try some different hi hat samples as well as give them a bit of groove with velocity and maybe a bit of shuffle, they're pretty boring and stick out as is. Lower the crash levels too, and maybe stick a reverb on 'em to give them a bit of shine and length. I like the bass, it would definitely sound good if you cut out the drums more and maybe sweep up a low pass filter on it, just for a little variation here and there.

Just my two cents, liking it though!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ok so I made an entry for this remix contest of a Breathe Carolina song, and I'd love some feedback on the mixdown before I go any further. What do you guys think? (It doesn't have an outro yet)

http://www.mediafire.com/?r381cosu30oapt1

MY NEW PHANTOM!!
Jan 7, 2008

So I've decided to become a little more serious when it comes to making music and im looking at buying some new speakers and a audio interface. at the moment I'm using my built in soundcard via an old yamaha amp and even older Sonab home speakers. I've been looking at this KRK RP5 RoKit bundle which seems to be perfect for my small price range (a few friends have recommended them) and now i just need a decent (preferably better but the budget's pretty tight) audio interface. Any tips on what I should get or look out for? If there's anything availble on the Thomann site that would be really neat so I can cut down on shipping costs.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MY NEW PHANTOM!! posted:

So I've decided to become a little more serious when it comes to making music and im looking at buying some new speakers and a audio interface. at the moment I'm using my built in soundcard via an old yamaha amp and even older Sonab home speakers. I've been looking at this KRK RP5 RoKit bundle which seems to be perfect for my small price range (a few friends have recommended them) and now i just need a decent (preferably better but the budget's pretty tight) audio interface. Any tips on what I should get or look out for? If there's anything availble on the Thomann site that would be really neat so I can cut down on shipping costs.

How about a Focusrite Saffire? They make a 2x2 version (2 in / 2 out) and an 8x6 version if you need more connectivity.

(also there is an audio interface megathread here you might want to have a look at).

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I just realized now that the last post I made had a link to a mediafire instead of soundcloud, whoops!

Anyway, the remix is now finished. If you want to check it out and let me know what you think of it here's the link to my soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dirtyfreshdjs/hitandrun

After listening to the other submissions I'm pretty confident I have a winner here.

I mean just listen to this guy's submission: http://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/breathe-carolina-hit-and-run-remix-contest/submissions/132043

I can't tell if it's a joke or not

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

A new free download from me, a little different from what I'm used to. 140bpm, laid-back, smooth.

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/connect

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Maguro posted:

A new free download from me, a little different from what I'm used to. 140bpm, laid-back, smooth.

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/connect

That's really good

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
http://soundcloud.com/khidir/27-1

this is not electronic music really, i just composed it in Ableton Live. For lack of better things to do, I spent my 27th birthday mostly writing this and eating some bananas.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
http://soundcloud.com/wafflehound/new-direction-structured-a-bit

The drums aren't played with much right now and I have no idea what kind of music I'm making but what I'm wondering is if anyone feels the sound at the start is getting lost in the 303 when it kicks in? It is on my speakers but not on my headphones. v:shobon:v

MY NEW PHANTOM!!
Jan 7, 2008

h_double posted:

How about a Focusrite Saffire? They make a 2x2 version (2 in / 2 out) and an 8x6 version if you need more connectivity.

(also there is an audio interface megathread here you might want to have a look at).

Thanks, that one looks great! I'll check out the other thread too!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AudioGL demo came out on Thursday:

http://www.audiogl.com/en/

Free 'no save' version and $80 gets you full beta access (which applies towoards full license down the road).

Biggest problem is the UI.. it's almost impossible to figure out. I spent most of my first hour mashing buttons and seeing what happened as there's no documentation yet.

But it was an hour well spent because it seems to make some really neat sounds. Can't wait until I get more comfortable with the tool so I can put it through its paces.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://soundcloud.com/fastland/heavens-reach

loving about with some surplus takes: overcompressed hats and poo poo I taped down in the studio when a drummer I know was jamming, and vocal takes for other songs that weren't used. I'm pretty satified with this overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Scenery
Feb 19, 2006
Confusing others since 1987.
http://soundcloud.com/equativ

Hey guys. First I must say I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and quite a lot of you have been posting some pretty awesome music. Keep it up!

Now I suppose it's my time to post some of my recently finished tracks. Even though I've been working on stuff for the past 6 years or so, slowly building my skills, I've only now reached the point where I'm ready to let other people listen to my stuff and I feel pretty good about the tracks I just recently uploaded to my soundcloud. I was hoping some of you could please give a listen and tell me what you think. Thanks!

• Locked thread