Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

einTier posted:

Actually, they're making tremendous progress on the track. I had an invite to be at the press conference but had to be in Dallas for work. :(

What do you want to know about the construction? I visit the area pretty often and I'm supposed to get an official tour of the current state of construction sometime in the nearish future.

I'd love to read about anything related to it. New tracks are pretty rare, especially world class facilities, and it was really cool to learn about how Miller got built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
In case anyone is interested, here's a code for $5 off $100 at MotorcycleSuperstore.com. Not the biggest discount but figured I'd post it up.

S11D1GB00A. Those are one's and zeroes not L's and O's. Expires 4/30/11.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

nsaP posted:

What do tall/skinny people do for jackets? Anything other than Icon that runs thin in the chest but long in the arms?

My best-fitting jacket is a 3/4 length Scorpion that's a size too small. Took a while to break in because it was a bit constricting, but now it fits like a glove.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

nsaP posted:

What do tall/skinny people do for jackets? Anything other than Icon that runs thin in the chest but long in the arms?

Start eating lots of burgers.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I got a loaner today from my Honda dealer while they're pulling a fault code off the Hornet.

NTV700 Dullville. The scary thing is, it's actually very nice. Sure, there's not much "go" and the gap between 1st and 2nd is excessive, but it handles very well for a sofa on wheels. I took it down the very bumpy, twisty backroad section of my commute and had not one scary moment (BT020Rs). It resolutely refused to get out of shape, although there was some metal/tarmac contact at times.

It's sort of what the TDM900 is trying to be but not quite achieving.

Also, lockable integrated panniers (not lid sized, but you can get a topbox which is) and two lockable cubbies in the fairing for phone, wallet etc.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I sometimes wish I had a good city bike like that is aimed to be.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

lancemantis posted:

I sometimes wish I had a good city bike like that is aimed to be.

Actually, it's a bit worrying in first as just trickling around at 5 mph, it perpetually feels like it might be about to cough-stall, although it doesn't. I suspect it's modern lean-burn EFI at work

Add to that Honda have inexplicably designed the gearbox so it doesn't have any sort of hard stop below 1st, so you feel it labouring and end up frantically tapping the pedal down, not quite convinced it's in actually first because the pedal's floating freely downwards like it might just not be selecting.

It is 60hp driving 236kg dry, which is pretty abysmal. But it obviously carries the weight really low, because you wouldn't think it was heavier than 200 dry from slinging it around the road.

Not sure how the reliability compares to the 650. The old ones did tend to below up gearboxes, at least when ridden by couriers, and I can see why, because you basically flick up and down the gears perpetually around redline. Sort of like a 600 Divvy (aka Seca II) Also, the collectors would rust out, but that's Honda for you.

e: so I'd say more of a touring and commuting bike, which is what they sell it as TBF.

The funny part of it is that it's £2,000 more than a new Hornet. A Hornet with a Givi screen and a brand-spanking-new set of quality panniers would still be £1,250 cheaper and considerably more fun.

Saga fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 14, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

"What do you mean we have no clean forks in the kitchen, I can see 4 from here"

I love this house though I had to move them to get a fork to eat with.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I suddenly got a good idea for Öhlins merchandise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

:aaaaa:

Brilliant.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ola posted:

Combined with a KTM toaster, my kitchen would be outfitted with 20% motorcycle merchandise.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Ola posted:

I think this is the first time I have seen the umlaut over the O. I have been mispronouncing it for quite some time.Though it is probably like trying to pronounce Honda or Nikon properly in the States, people just look at you funny. Or try to correct you.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I looked it up to see what the right pronunciation is and ended up here.

nsaP posted:

NewEnough is running a mesh jacket real cheap on closeout, Ben Spies baby blue for any takers...haha: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/first_gear/firstgear_mesh_tex_motorcycle_jacket.html

For extra :lol:, check which sizes are available.

Ahaha that is the jacket I just sold for $70. NewEnough stop screwing with me!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

I got a loaner today from my Honda dealer while they're pulling a fault code off the Hornet.

NTV700 Dullville. The scary thing is, it's actually very nice. Sure, there's not much "go" and the gap between 1st and 2nd is excessive, but it handles very well for a sofa on wheels. I took it down the very bumpy, twisty backroad section of my commute and had not one scary moment (BT020Rs). It resolutely refused to get out of shape, although there was some metal/tarmac contact at times.

It's sort of what the TDM900 is trying to be but not quite achieving.

Also, lockable integrated panniers (not lid sized, but you can get a topbox which is) and two lockable cubbies in the fairing for phone, wallet etc.

The most sensible bike in the world but why would anybody buy it? And yet I've seen several in the parking lot at work, so it must make sense to some people. The same people who eat an extra mild Korma and declare "boy that's got some kick to it!" I presume...

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

The most sensible bike in the world but why would anybody buy it? And yet I've seen several in the parking lot at work, so it must make sense to some people. The same people who eat an extra mild Korma and declare "boy that's got some kick to it!" I presume...

"Why yes, this beige Toyota Camry is exactly what I'm looking for!"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

kylej posted:

"Why yes, this beige Toyota Camry is exactly what I'm looking for!"

"Is it spicy? Like does it have ketchup on it?"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
:(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Linedance posted:

They're bringing it to the US, think they'll sell enough to keep it around? I don't see why you guys are hating on it, it looks like it'd be pretty much an SV650 with hard luggage and shaft drive.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I already saw one (possibly used lol) last year

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
You can open the hard cases and reach through to the other side! ideal for pool cues and rolled up maps

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

You can open the hard cases and reach through to the other side! ideal for pool cues and rolled up maps

I think this is also a feature on Shamu the Killer Tourer

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

It really is a car bike :swoon:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I knew it was supposed to rain in Seattle today but god drat. I've never had it come down so hard that even after turning your head to get some of the rain off of it less than a second later you are blind again. I ended up riding home with the visor up and getting a face full of water basically guessing as to where I was going.

Blegh.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
YEah it was fun. For some reason, my left shoe fills with water, completely, and the right one only gets like half wet.

Fairly warm, though, which was nice.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

lancemantis posted:

It really is a car bike :swoon:

The popular PC800 came with a Jacuzzi in the back:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mcqueen posted:

I knew it was supposed to rain in Seattle today but god drat. I've never had it come down so hard that even after turning your head to get some of the rain off of it less than a second later you are blind again. I ended up riding home with the visor up and getting a face full of water basically guessing as to where I was going.

Blegh.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

YEah it was fun. For some reason, my left shoe fills with water, completely, and the right one only gets like half wet.

Fairly warm, though, which was nice.

Get some gear, dudes. Full fieldsheer rain gear on bikebandit cost me something like $40. Boots are waterproof too, but I ride with summer gloves, which haven't been a big deal yet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Protip: Put your feet in bread bags before your boots. :lol: Seriously.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BlackMK4 posted:

Protip: Put your feet in bread bags before your boots. :lol: Seriously.

I'm low carb. So it'll have to be sausage casings.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm low carb. So it'll have to be sausage casings.

Hahaha!

Encasing your feet in plastic is choosing to be soaked by your own sweat instead of water from the sky.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

Oi, that's my wife you're talking about! :arghfist:

It's lucky I had to give it back this morning. It was getting to the point of die-motherfuckers-no-holds-barred-urban-combat with the morning commuters today. It's genuinely fun to ride, albeit slow. So not like a beige Camry.

There's no unguided missile about it at all. It turns in quickly with consistent feel from the front wheel, no tippiness and only a slight weave if you trail in, which is probably just down to the tourer-type bars. It's not twitchy mid-corner and will quite happily hold its line without having to be careful about body position or using a lot of bar pressure. It doesn't really have enough power to overwhelm a BT020 in dry spring weather, so you can basically have it pinned out of corners without thinking about the throttle too much. It's definitely got a rearward bias on the brakes, but that's where the C-ABS actually works - just stamp/grab and modulate the pedal and it hauls up well, with a bit of amusing rear wheel chatter if you boot it down into second or first on the way in.

Seriously, put some sports rubber on it, perhaps unbolt the mainstand and you could go right round the outside of pretty much anything with knee firmly planted, giving the traditional Anglo-Saxon salute. Actually, you can probably do that on BT020s, but I didn't want to crash it and fork over the substantial excess. With a bit of custom pipework, a loud can and a PCIIIR it would have quite a large giggle-factor.

Basically, it's like an R1100GS only not the size of a battleship, fun to ride and you could probably pick it up if you dropped it. This is basically the bike that Harley owners would buy if they actually liked riding motorcycles. Low, comfy, practical, fuel efficient and easy to ride.

It's not really a Pacific Coast, although I agree the stylist obviously wanted to pick up the elusive PC demographic (all 3 of them). The integrated panniers on this are designed to be narrower than the bars for filtering purposes and won't take a full face (the pass-through is about as wide as a loaf of bread). It doesn't really have the jello mould thing going on.

My only real objection to it is the price, like I said before. The Hornet is also made by Honda Italy, and retails for a full £2,000 less over here, also with C-ABS if you want it. That's before you put stuff like the stereo or sat nav on the NT. The NT clearly isn't using any expensive, lightweight parts or materials, so how would you justify buying it? I think you'd REALLY have to do a lot of miles to get your money back based solely on the 15 mpg diference. If someone gave me one for free, I'd definitely commute on it...even though it resolutely refuses to wheelie.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They don't sell the hornet here anymore (though it looks like they will finally be selling the CB1000R this year in limited supply) and the only reason I like it is because I have a sport bike and sometimes it seems like it would be nice to have a bike so boringly practical for commuting :(

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

lancemantis posted:

They don't sell the hornet here anymore (though it looks like they will finally be selling the CB1000R this year in limited supply) and the only reason I like it is because I have a sport bike and sometimes it seems like it would be nice to have a bike so boringly practical for commuting :(

Well, the upshot is it's not actually boring ... if you don't live in Florida or the Great Plains! It stops, turns and goes around corners. So not so much Dullville as Gradualville. Or Eventualtown.

Depending on what they do with the US pricing, the CB1000R could be a very good deal. Over here it's not much of a discount from a 'blade while falling short in many ways ... other than the very cool dash anyway.

It's massively restricted as standard - stock, it has galactic bottom end shunt of the eye-widening and tyre shredding variety, but it doesn't follow through about 5k rpm they way you'd expect from a thousand.

You can see that on this dyno chart - after 5k the torque plateaus and the bike feels almost like it's into overrev all the way through the second half of the revs.

But look what happens to the torque curve when you stick an end can and a power commander on it...

:woop: :woop: :woop:

So far so good, but unfortunately, although it has the (high) build quality of the new Hornet, it really isn't anything like it. The 1000 is basically a heavy unfaired sportsbike, whereas the Hornet is a more like a versatile naked that also happens to have a handy ~93 bhp. The 1000 is something like ~215kg dry (versus 172/175kg for the Hornet) and carries the weight fairly high (it has a real sense of mass between your legs, almost like a miniature 'Busa), with the ergonomics pushing you very much forward into the tank. If you'e sat on an MV Brutale, it's similar to that.

I suspect for that reason the 'blade will be much nicer to ride fast. I don't see the point of 165hp on the road, but if I was going to spend £10k on a sportsbike, I'd get the blade and just shortshift it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

Oi, that's my wife you're talking about! :arghfist:

It's lucky I had to give it back this morning. It was getting to the point of die-motherfuckers-no-holds-barred-urban-combat with the morning commuters today. It's genuinely fun to ride, albeit slow. So not like a beige Camry.

There's no unguided missile about it at all. It turns in quickly with consistent feel from the front wheel, no tippiness and only a slight weave if you trail in, which is probably just down to the tourer-type bars. It's not twitchy mid-corner and will quite happily hold its line without having to be careful about body position or using a lot of bar pressure. It doesn't really have enough power to overwhelm a BT020 in dry spring weather, so you can basically have it pinned out of corners without thinking about the throttle too much. It's definitely got a rearward bias on the brakes, but that's where the C-ABS actually works - just stamp/grab and modulate the pedal and it hauls up well, with a bit of amusing rear wheel chatter if you boot it down into second or first on the way in.

Seriously, put some sports rubber on it, perhaps unbolt the mainstand and you could go right round the outside of pretty much anything with knee firmly planted, giving the traditional Anglo-Saxon salute. Actually, you can probably do that on BT020s, but I didn't want to crash it and fork over the substantial excess. With a bit of custom pipework, a loud can and a PCIIIR it would have quite a large giggle-factor.

Basically, it's like an R1100GS only not the size of a battleship, fun to ride and you could probably pick it up if you dropped it. This is basically the bike that Harley owners would buy if they actually liked riding motorcycles. Low, comfy, practical, fuel efficient and easy to ride.

It's not really a Pacific Coast, although I agree the stylist obviously wanted to pick up the elusive PC demographic (all 3 of them). The integrated panniers on this are designed to be narrower than the bars for filtering purposes and won't take a full face (the pass-through is about as wide as a loaf of bread). It doesn't really have the jello mould thing going on.

My only real objection to it is the price, like I said before. The Hornet is also made by Honda Italy, and retails for a full £2,000 less over here, also with C-ABS if you want it. That's before you put stuff like the stereo or sat nav on the NT. The NT clearly isn't using any expensive, lightweight parts or materials, so how would you justify buying it? I think you'd REALLY have to do a lot of miles to get your money back based solely on the 15 mpg diference. If someone gave me one for free, I'd definitely commute on it...even though it resolutely refuses to wheelie.

Ha! Too funny, I was originally going to make a wife comment...
The new one does look better than the old one, and the built in panniers don't stick out as far as aftermarket so it's better for filtering. Turning it into a sleeper would be pretty fun, but you might accidentally fall asleep... Dirty confession time, I was actually eyeing them up when I was bike shopping, but you're right, for the price there's better bikes out there. Maybe not more practical bikes, but better bikes.

quote:

So far so good, but unfortunately, although it has the (high) build quality of the new Hornet, it really isn't anything like it. The 1000 is basically a heavy unfaired sportsbike, whereas the Hornet is a more like a versatile naked that also happens to have a handy ~93 bhp. The 1000 is something like ~215kg dry (versus 172/175kg for the Hornet) and carries the weight fairly high (it has a real sense of mass between your legs, almost like a miniature 'Busa), with the ergonomics pushing you very much forward into the tank. If you'e sat on an MV Brutale, it's similar to that.

I suspect for that reason the 'blade will be much nicer to ride fast. I don't see the point of 165hp on the road, but if I was going to spend £10k on a sportsbike, I'd get the blade and just shortshift it.

I didn't try out a Hornet, but what impressed me about the CB1000R was the way it handled. It went about the business of getting about with no drama and I felt it was very confidence inspiring. It would basically do whatever you wanted happily and almost telepathically. I liked the ergos too, the lamp and dash actually do a good job of shaping the airblast. The seat did feel like it would give you numb-rear end after a while though, and it certainly does smash your nuts against the tank (when the front wheel comes back to earth). Strangely enough, I found the narrowness of the Brutale seat more comfortable. Where the Honda made you feel like everything was easy, the Brutale made you feel like you'd better not do anything stupid if you don't know what you're doing.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

you're right, for the price there's better bikes out there. Maybe not more practical bikes, but better bikes.

It's the sort of bike that will be great in 7 years when they're going for £800 instead of £8000 and you find one that's been locked up in some old geezer's garage.

Linedance posted:

I didn't try out a Hornet, but what impressed me about the CB1000R was the way it handled. It went about the business of getting about with no drama and I felt it was very confidence inspiring. It would basically do whatever you wanted happily and almost telepathically. I liked the ergos too, the lamp and dash actually do a good job of shaping the airblast. The seat did feel like it would give you numb-rear end after a while though, and it certainly does smash your nuts against the tank (when the front wheel comes back to earth). Strangely enough, I found the narrowness of the Brutale seat more comfortable. Where the Honda made you feel like everything was easy, the Brutale made you feel like you'd better not do anything stupid if you don't know what you're doing.

It certainly wasn't as easy to land as the Hornet is. I think I did the same thing you did. Maybe clutching it up in third is the ticket. I only ever use the throttle because I generally pay for my own clutch plates.

I guess I just think the Hornet's lack of 40kg of lard makes it by far the better bike, despite the 1000 mysteriously being given the sportier riding position. Of course it could have been lousy tyres too. I managed to lock up the front on the 1000 not even braking particularly hard and also had my first proper near-highside for 10 years or so courtesy of the bulge at the bottom of that torque curve.

There's also the fact that a Z1000 comes with a lot of extra power for the same weight and is quite a bit cheaper. Now with BPF as well I guess?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Mcqueen posted:

Blegh.

I got a quick ride in the morning while the sun was still out but ya, good spring so far. And the traffic seems to be getting shittier and shittier :\

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whee almost t-boned some dumb bitch who made a left turn in front of me. I saw her a few blocks before I got there, covered the brake, and slowed down some since I saw she was looking the other direction. Sure enough, she didn't bother to look back, and made her turn. I stopped with plenty of room, but if I hadn't been paying attention, it could have been bad. She gave me an "I didn't see you!" look and I flicked her off and went my way. OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T SEE ME YOU DIDN'T EVEN loving LOOK.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Situations like that make me want to add an additional horn so I can say gently caress YOUUUU in very clear sonic terms. But must retain the old one because I also want to say meep meep what's up!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Situations like that make me want to add an additional horn so I can say gently caress YOUUUU in very clear sonic terms. But must retain the old one because I also want to say meep meep what's up!

I want to mount a 140DBA train horn.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

I want to mount a 140DBA train horn.

I have two words for you.

Stebel Nautilus

139dbA of compact air horn goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Whee almost t-boned some dumb bitch who made a left turn in front of me. I saw her a few blocks before I got there, covered the brake, and slowed down some since I saw she was looking the other direction. Sure enough, she didn't bother to look back, and made her turn. I stopped with plenty of room, but if I hadn't been paying attention, it could have been bad. She gave me an "I didn't see you!" look and I flicked her off and went my way. OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T SEE ME YOU DIDN'T EVEN loving LOOK.

I had a guy almost merge into me on the freeway the other morning. Cruising along at about 70 and I see his car slowly start moving over closer to me. I held down my horn button and started moving into the opposite lane (it was unoccupied) while staring at him. No blinker, no indication of changing lanes, he eventually stared back at me while drinking from his coffee mug. He didn't even flinch, let alone make any attempt to not hit me. Oh well, another day at the office I guess.