Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What the gently caress? I woke up this morning and Windows 7 had updated a bunch of stuff, and in the process it apparently nuked all of my settings. Including my desktop background and all of my settings and add-ons in Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Are you sure you're logged in as you? Do you still have \Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\etc etc folders?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Are you sure you're logged in as you? Do you still have \Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\etc etc folders?

I'm at work, but I'll double check that when I get home. There's only 1 account on the computer.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Blowupologist posted:

What the gently caress? I woke up this morning and Windows 7 had updated a bunch of stuff, and in the process it apparently nuked all of my settings. Including my desktop background and all of my settings and add-ons in Firefox.
I've had that happen twice,. If Windows can't read your profile for some reason, it'll create a temporary vanilla profile for you. The first time it was genuine hard drive corruption and thus everything under %USERPROFILE% was gone. The second time W7 recovered my profile when I uninstalled the offending program, logged out of the temporary profile and logged back in.

hirvox fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 5, 2009

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I am pretty sure that I saw a link somewhere in SH/SC for a way for students to buy the professional edition of Windows 7 for $30. Does anyone have that link? I can only find the home premium for students edition, but I was pretty sure that there was one for professional.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

sonic bed head posted:

I am pretty sure that I saw a link somewhere in SH/SC for a way for students to buy the professional edition of Windows 7 for $30. Does anyone have that link? I can only find the home premium for students edition, but I was pretty sure that there was one for professional.

When you are on the page for students to add home premium to your cart click the link at the bottom that says my school requires connecting through a network domain (something along those lines) and you can add professional for $30.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blowupologist posted:

reboot

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Haven't noticed this posted yet, turns out there was plans to ship windows with a feature that alllowed you to turn your machine into a woreless hotspot, but the functionality was removed though parts of the code remaind.
soemone finished it off, and it works beautifully - http://www.connectify.me/

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Shannow posted:

Haven't noticed this posted yet, turns out there was plans to ship windows with a feature that alllowed you to turn your machine into a woreless hotspot, but the functionality was removed though parts of the code remaind.

Argh, I just wrote that exact same program last night... although without the handy sys tray icon or displaying disconnected hosts.

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD

Shannow posted:

The thing just says laptops, but can you do this with desktops as well? Their FAQ doesn't mention anything like that (Or I'm blind)

Oh, need a wireless card to do it with a desktop. Oh well.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

WALLGOD posted:

Oh, need a wireless card to do it with a desktop. Oh well.

How else would a PC transmit a wireless signal :confused:

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Not entirely sure how it deal with wireless shares, i'm jsut fiddling with it ion work just now.

setup - 3 machines connected to the router via wireless. 1 is my laptop that connictify is on

disc onnected one of the other machines and reconnected it to the connectify hotspot on my machine. It seems i can still access all the shared folders as it did previously, which were stored as shortcuts, but going into the network settings doesn't actually show anything else available.

the systray icon shows everyhting connected, and double clicking a connection gives you its ip and mac, which is nice i guess.

It does require that you use a passphrase but that's no biggie.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Some of my icons in the system tray are now invisible. They're there and I can even get the outline kinda when I mouse over them, but they don't appear. Also I can't right click anything and double clicking makes no difference. I'm at a loss on how to fix this or even what caused it.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2023

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It replaces numbers that people don't understand, like gigahertz and megabytes with an ordinal scale. So while a processor that labels itself 1.8Ghz isn't necessarily "slower" than a processor that labels itself 3Ghz, a 6.5 rating is better than a 5.5 rating.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

It replaces numbers that people don't understand, like gigahertz and megabytes with an ordinal scale. So while a processor that labels itself 1.8Ghz isn't necessarily "slower" than a processor that labels itself 3Ghz, a 6.5 rating is better than a 5.5 rating.

That's what it's supposed to do, but in practice the index rating is 90% voodoo. If Microsoft could make it consistently accurate and reliable, it would go a long way toward helping laypeople understand system specs. As it is, though, it's all but useless.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

That's what it's supposed to do, but in practice the index rating is 90% voodoo. If Microsoft could make it consistently accurate and reliable, it would go a long way toward helping laypeople understand system specs. As it is, though, it's all but useless.

I was hoping it would normalize some of the min spec bullshit by saying something simple like, "if Win7 spits out a 4.5, this game will run ok on your system", instead of the craziness it is now.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

LorneReams posted:

I was hoping it would normalize some of the min spec bullshit by saying something simple like, "if Win7 spits out a 4.5, this game will run ok on your system", instead of the craziness it is now.

In the Games Explorer it does do this. Right side of the window is a tab that has your score and the required and recommended scores. Mine is at a 4.9 and the last couple games Ive installed have been 4.0req/5.0rec, and surprise, they run just fine :)

I don't like that it just uses your lowest score for the overall. that's probably going to be the biggest source of confusion.

Don't understand the guy that had 7.5's and said his system ran like poo poo though

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It's also useful to show non computer people the limiting factor on their system, because the overall score is based on the lowest score. Computers 101 for mom.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
What's the difference between the connectify thing and setting up an ad-hoc network (which can share internet connections)?

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
I also downloaded the Professional edition through my school (My school pays the $30, so I get it for free). I have the ISO on my main drive, but I don't have a DVD burner at the moment. Does anyone know if I can install the ISO off another hard drive to my main drive some way? Mounting it with Daemon tools?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

I also downloaded the Professional edition through my school (My school pays the $30, so I get it for free). I have the ISO on my main drive, but I don't have a DVD burner at the moment. Does anyone know if I can install the ISO off another hard drive to my main drive some way? Mounting it with Daemon tools?

You can extract it with winrar or something and just run setup.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Super Dude posted:

What's the difference between the connectify thing and setting up an ad-hoc network (which can share internet connections)?

Ad-hoc networks cannot bridge to wired LANs, and especially not a WLAN connection with only the one adapter. In ad-hoc networks, individual network nodes forward packets to and from each other, rather than the tradition access point that connectify will set up for you.

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 5, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

You can also easily install it from a USB drive. Google it (I'm not typing it up From my iPod ).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

If you've got Vista, format a USB drive that's 8 GB or greater using this guide. I believe it also tells you how to install, but after you've formatted and such, set your BIOS to boot off of USB and then Windows should start installing.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
In the same vein as the invisible icons in the taskbar from earlier on the page, I've been getting these blank icons on my desktop ever since I did the "remove shortcut" option in XdN Tweaker:

The first is a regular shortcut to "Computer", the second and third icons are shortcuts our group policy create. The links all still work, and anything on the desktop that isn't a shortcut comes up fine. It also doesn't happen every time I reboot, sometimes the icons show up fine. I'm going to try to reenable the shortcut icon and see if it fixes it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Model Camper posted:

In the same vein as the invisible icons in the taskbar from earlier on the page, I've been getting these blank icons on my desktop ever since I did the "remove shortcut" option in XdN Tweaker:

I'm going to remove that feature from XdN Tweaker.
I don't want any "sloppy" features in the program like that.

An icon rebuild may fix it, but that isn't the easiest thing to do under Vista/Win7.

Try switching to 16-bit color, wait for the icons to refresh, then back to 32-bit color.

Or from here,
http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=504

Switch to 16-bit color,
Delete %appdata%\local\iconcache.db
Switch back to 32-bit color.

Your icons will all rebuild then.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Xenomorph posted:

I'm going to remove that feature from XdN Tweaker.
I don't want any "sloppy" features in the program like that.

An icon rebuild may fix it, but that isn't the easiest thing to do under Vista/Win7.

Try switching to 16-bit color, wait for the icons to refresh, then back to 32-bit color.

Or from here,
http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=504

Switch to 16-bit color,
Delete %appdata%\local\iconcache.db
Switch back to 32-bit color.

Your icons will all rebuild then.

Strangely enough, now the icons come up fine. I didn't change anything in XdN Tweaker or reboot yet, I've been working on the machine since I posted that.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I've been having an ongoing issue with Windows 7 which might make me reinstall from scratch if I can't track down its cause. I will randomly experience explorer.exe crashes and they will continue to occur until I reboot the PC. After it happens the first time, from that point forward I can reproduce the crash if I simply right-click on a file or application. I've been uninstalling applications and drivers trying to narrow down the cause with no such luck. There's also some Google results that recommend removing a certain registry key but it's already been removed. Anyone else notice similar crashes?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anyone else getting this with Windows Live Messenger? I have message logging on and set it to Vista comparability mode. It does this when I close a conversation window with someone.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well I know one sorta lovely thing about Windows 7. No matter what I try, I can't get the XBCD drivers to install for my 360 gamepad. I've tried following a few guides that say to install the normal ones, then use Overrider to boot into test mode, at which point you then install XBCD ones and mark them as signed, but no matter what I do as soon as I turn on the controller and try to have it connect I get a BSOD.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
i have a big folder full of (legally obtained) dvd movies in .iso format
is there a way to make them show up in windows media center?

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
i want to change, all at once, the extension of my m4v files to mp4, so windows 7 can thumbnail them. how do i go about doing this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

You'll have to use Handbrake or something to rip the video to H.264 or something.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

eeeh, no thanks
WMP is great but not great enough for me to convert all of my .ISOs

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

eeeh, no thanks
WMP is great but not great enough for me to convert all of my .ISOs

You might be able to use Virtual CloneDrive or something to mount the ISOs and play them through WMP that way.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Super Dude posted:

You can't upgrade between 32 bit and 64 bit.

You can do a clean install, AND the keys are interchangeable. As it's been said 90 times in this thread, a "clean install" takes all your old data and poo poo, and dumps it into a folder called windows.old. None of your apps, settings, etc are transferred automatically, but they're RIGHT THERE in the folder if you need them.

As to drivers - windows update will provide you with the latest WHQL Certified drivers. In some cases, that means the driver that was released with your lovely SATA Card / Webcam / USB vibrator in 2004, when it was first released. While this works correctly in most cases, it's not like updating to the latest drivers that the manufacturer can give you will cause problems - just remember that windows update will nag you to roll back to WHQL drivers.

Overall, it's a very organic experience. When I first installed on my D830, some poo poo really didn't work out of the box - namely the biometric pad and the smart card reader. But then it got net access and bang. It all worked.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

i want to change, all at once, the extension of my m4v files to mp4, so windows 7 can thumbnail them. how do i go about doing this?

If they're all in one folder, use Infranview's batch function. That's how I clean up entire dumps of TV serieses. Just make sure that windows is set to show the extensions of known file types, or it may not work. It does function well. For example, a show usually comes in as

s01e09.faggypants queef party.dvdrip.ac3.groupname.avi

I tell infranview to take the string s01e and replace it with 1. Then, I tell it to take the string .dvdrip.ac3.groupname and replace it with nothing. Finally, I tell it to replace any . it sees with " - " . After a brief period, I have a folder full of these;

109 - faggypants queef party.avi

Now you go and do that with 130 episodes, by hand, and tell me you stay sane.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 6, 2009

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Get a program like Power ISO or Daemon Tools that will let you mount them all to virtual drives.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Cuddly Coach posted:

In the Games Explorer it does do this. Right side of the window is a tab that has your score and the required and recommended scores. Mine is at a 4.9 and the last couple games Ive installed have been 4.0req/5.0rec, and surprise, they run just fine :)

I don't like that it just uses your lowest score for the overall. that's probably going to be the biggest source of confusion.

Don't understand the guy that had 7.5's and said his system ran like poo poo though

My lowest score is due to my hard drive - 5.9.

With a single motherfucking Velociraptor 300gb 10krpm hard drive.

What scores are people getting with 7200/5900rpm system drives?

(Intel I7 920 @ 2.9ghz, 6gb ram, gtx275, 64bit - all other scores are 7.5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

well of course i have daemon tools lite (how else would i have been mounting the .iso files)

i was wondering if there wasn't a way to make .iso files appear & play in windows media center