Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Is it possible to play through New Vegas without V.A.T.S., or does that make it more difficult? I've only played a few minutes of it and FO3, and while it's kind of neat, it does seem to break the pacing of a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Is it possible to play through New Vegas without V.A.T.S., or does that make it more difficult? I've only played a few minutes of it and FO3, and while it's kind of neat, it does seem to break the pacing of a fight.

I almost never use VATS, so I would say yes.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

New Vegas VATS is much weaker than Fallout 3's VATS since you aren't invulnerable for it anymore. You can't just pop VATS when something is about to punch/shoot you anymore.

I think it is very doable to avoid VATS, though. I use it much less since there are iron sights in New Vegas, so you can play it like a real FPS. Also you can download mods that replace the VATS mechanic with bullet time(which is actually kind of more OP, to me).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Are there any mods that add iron sights to the Fallout 3 weapons? Also is the old Fallout 3 Weapon mod still worth using with Project Nevada?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rirse posted:

Are there any mods that add iron sights to the Fallout 3 weapons? Also is the old Fallout 3 Weapon mod still worth using with Project Nevada?

Project Nevada's "Equipment" module adds pretty much every FO3 Weapon to NV (with the exception of the Rock-it-Launcher) and all of them have iron-sights. So, it's redundant to use FO3 Weapon mods with PN.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Thanks for those houses :) Also for you folks using the 4GB executable with NVSE and Steam, are you still able to capture screenshots with F12? I got a bunch, but the game crashed and there were were no new shots at all in my folder :argh:
If the game crashes while closing I'll lose any screenshots I took during that session, but I've only had that happen once or twice. Usually everything works fine, I close the game and then the little Steam window pops up with options for uploading and captions just as normal, but I make a habit of uploading in the Steam overlay while the game is still running just on the offchance that it might crash.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Vats to me has one main function. And that is to help deal with FPS game fatigue. An rpg like fallout is played for extended periods of time compared to most fps games. It can get a bit tiring to me.

90+% of the time I just play the game like an fps. But sometimes I go 'gently caress this' and use vats because either I'm tired or I'm against something that's being a pain in the butt to hit without being shot at or the game decided to overwhelm me with way more poo poo than I'm prepared for equipment-wise at the moment.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anybody try using NMC's texture pack with a system that's roughly equivalent to mine? I have an AMD Phenom X4 945 @ 3.4 GHz, 4GB of RAM, and a Radeon HD 6870 1GB. I'm basically wondering if the warnings for the large texture pack are overblown and if I could handle it, or if I should just stick to the medium.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
VATS is also useful for finding people in a new area.

"Great Khan, Great Khan, Great Khan...NAMED CHARACTER! Finally."

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I'm on a "mid-range" laptop (so a pretty low-range desktop, basically) with an i5 540M @ 2.4 GHz/4GB RAM/Mobility Radeon 5650 and the NMC small pack is great so far. I have noticed no increased strain whatsoever. The load times are somewhat longer, but stutter on cell load has actually decreased and I haven't seen any FPS hit.

Also, installing Poco Bueno on top of it seems to be doing fine. I just told it to not overwrite anything (for the most part I much prefer NMC's textures) and it fills in the blanks that NMC misses.

FAKE EDIT: Decided to install the medium pack just for shits and giggles, and MY GOD IT'S TAKING FOREVER. 15 minutes in and I'm only about 10% through. That's just for building the FOMOD, I've still got to activate the goddamn thing :suicide:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Here's the newest WIP of The Armory, and here's the changelog for those that like to check them out. A few more working guns notably the Armbreaker (my 50BMG pistol), a crap load of bug fixes, some replaced content (all the low res silencers are gone). We're getting close to the end of what needs to be done content wise and AS has already started the rebalancing/leveled lists overhaul and hopefully soon we'll be implementing the major sound modding system into the ESM via PoliceAutomaton's script. So... quite an upgrade.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
NMC Medium is doing fantastic on my 4850, no FPS hit at all and it's wonderful looking.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Can you install NMC with FOMM or is the manual install the only option? I like being able to select/deselect things :( Edit: Basically I've never done it with things that come in multiple archives like this.

Also maybe I should download the Medium instead of the smallest one if a 4850 can take it. I have a AMD Phenom II X2 555 @3.20GHz/4GB RAM/ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

But I think I'll wait until Horns says if he has a noticeable fps hit.

Comic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 8, 2011

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Horns posted:

FAKE EDIT: Decided to install the medium pack just for shits and giggles, and MY GOD IT'S TAKING FOREVER. 15 minutes in and I'm only about 10% through. That's just for building the FOMOD, I've still got to activate the goddamn thing :suicide:

Speaking of activating large FOMODs, why does FOMM tell me that I'm out of memory? I have 8GB of RAM. It is always using about 1GB when it does this. My computer can handle extracting and creating that hugeass FOMOD, why can't FOMM activate it?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Comic posted:

But I think I'll wait until Horns says if he has a noticeable fps hit.
It's gonna be about another 40 minutes, maybe more. It's STILL building the FOMOD.
Scratch that, about another 20 minutes. Activating is going a bit faster.

EDIT: OK, tested it out a bit.

Good News: The performance impact isn't nearly as dramatic as I expected. Cell load stutter is slightly worse than vanilla with the 4GB enabler, but framerate is still solid. However, it should be noted that I'm using a program called Dxtory that caps my framerate at 35FPS. I didn't notice any FPS hit with Dxtory on, but there was about a 5-15 FPS hit with it turned off. Also keep in mind that my machine isn't exactly what you'd call a gaming beast. It's capable at best, so I'm willing to bet the performance hit between small and medium would be unnoticeable on a setup like the one Comic posted.

Bad News(?): I honestly can't tell much of a difference visually between medium and small. I think it might be the resolution I'm playing at (somewhat low by some people's standards, 1280x720), but they seem really similar in actual texture quality. This is sort of not a bad thing since I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by just using the small pack, but it's the only counterpoint to the good news that I can think of. Negligible difference in quality aside, the textures still look great.

I can't speak on the difference in quality between small/medium and large (not even gonna bother with trying large since the unpacked .rar is nearly half the size of my entire NV install :stare:), but if it's anything like the difference between small and medium, I imagine that a reasonably powerful machine should be able to handle it just fine.

Horns fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 8, 2011

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there some manner of manequin mod? I've been compulsively collecting all these outifts and I would love some way to display them... because they look awful folded up, and placing them is a nightmare.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Are there any comparison pictures for the large, medium, and small MCM packs?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What id do you use when setting a companion to essential, the base or the reference id? If you do this once during the game for every character will they always remain essential? Can I do this before I meet them? I basically want to do a hardcore run, but without perma-death for my companions. There doesn't seem to be any mod to accomplish this, so i'll just do it via the console.

Edit: found the command
code:
setessential <base_id> 0, setessential <base_id> 1 - make NPC mortal / immortal.
My questions about when you can do it still remain though.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot, here's a mod to accomplish this.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 8, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there some manner of manequin mod? I've been compulsively collecting all these outifts and I would love some way to display them... because they look awful folded up, and placing them is a nightmare.

I tried a port of the old Manequin mod for New Vegas, but I stopped using it when it wouldn't let me fast travel because the models got listed as enemies and they would melt when I leave the room (this was at the SINK).

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Horns posted:

I'm willing to bet the performance hit between small and medium would be unnoticeable on a setup like the one Comic posted.

Thanks! Good enough for me to start downloading the medium pack and see for myself, at least. I don't go about downloading gigabytes willy-nilly.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anybody try using NMC's texture pack with a system that's roughly equivalent to mine? I have an AMD Phenom X4 945 @ 3.4 GHz, 4GB of RAM, and a Radeon HD 6870 1GB. I'm basically wondering if the warnings for the large texture pack are overblown and if I could handle it, or if I should just stick to the medium.

The video card and your hard drive are pretty much all that matter. I've got a 6870 as well and the medium pack runs fine, although load times (mostly for outdoor areas) are a tad longer. No stuttering or anything when I'm wandering around, though.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I tried a port of the old Manequin mod for New Vegas, but I stopped using it when it wouldn't let me fast travel because the models got listed as enemies and they would melt when I leave the room (this was at the SINK).

Not familiar. But drat trying to display things is a pain in the rear end. Try to place one thing and 3 other things fly away. Right now my floor is littered with unique clothing. It's just piled up.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Looking over these screenshots for the NMC texture pack, something strikes me about the colour palette. It looks like the original textures tend to use a lot of shades of grey, whereas the new textures use much more colour, while maintaining the fallout look. Does this come across while playing or is it more subtle?

Also, is there a fast host out there that has the entire file as one download? Nexus speeds suck for me.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
NMC pack is pretty nice. I'm using the small version and it's still a major improvement.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I'm running vanilla, with all the settings turned to max. For reference: Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4G ram, GeForce GTX 460

Two quick questions:

1. When moving my character with WASD, sometimes he'll stop immediately when I let go of the keys, and other times he tends to quickly "slide" to a halt. This usually happens when moving diagonally (W+A, W+D). It's a wee bit annoying. Is this a known issue?

2. For the most part, I'm getting 60FPS. On occasion, though, an indoor light source will halve my FPS. For instance:

This is the only window in this particular house that will have this issue. From this distance, I have my normal FPS.

But right here, my FPS gets cut by half, and my mouse movement becomes laggy.

It doesn't appear to be an HDR problem. I turned off HDR and bloom, and still get it. What's up with that?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

XOIC of Radishes posted:

When moving my character with WASD, sometimes he'll stop immediately when I let go of the keys, and other times he tends to quickly "slide" to a halt. This usually happens when moving diagonally (W+A, W+D). It's a wee bit annoying. Is this a known issue?

Yeah, thats the engine. Try strafing and jumping!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Male Man posted:

The video card and your hard drive are pretty much all that matter. I've got a 6870 as well and the medium pack runs fine, although load times (mostly for outdoor areas) are a tad longer. No stuttering or anything when I'm wandering around, though.

Maybe I'll try the large version since everyone is reporting almost no performance impact from the medium version. But it's so many GBs... That's why I wanted a trip report from someone using Large first, but everyone here is just going medium.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

XOIC of Radishes posted:

I'm running vanilla, with all the settings turned to max. For reference: Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4G ram, GeForce GTX 460

Two quick questions:

1. When moving my character with WASD, sometimes he'll stop immediately when I let go of the keys, and other times he tends to quickly "slide" to a halt. This usually happens when moving diagonally (W+A, W+D). It's a wee bit annoying. Is this a known issue?

That "floatiness" is an issue with the Gamebryo engine, most likely, since it was present in both Oblivion and Fallout 3. It's exacerbated by several things, which you have control over:

1. (Nvidia) Render Ahead / (ATI) Flip Queue Size: This is a feature in your video card that forces it to render frames ahead of your inputs. If set up improperly, this can cause a sluggish feeling in your controls. Usually the highest you want to go is a value of 3 (3 frames ahead.) Even at this setting, you may feel like your controls aren't responsive enough. Turning the feature off completely in your Nvidia Control Panel / ATI Tray Tools / CCC will help, but it may negatively impact your FPS some negligible amount.

2. VSync. Even when disabling it, a form of Vsync will still remain enabled and can only be turned off by going into your ini files and searching for "ipresentinterval". By default, it is left on (1). Setting this to 0 will completely disable Vsync.

Beyond that, it's something you'll probably have to live with. The Gamebryo engine doesn't have the same responsiveness as, say, the Source engine.

quote:

2. For the most part, I'm getting 60FPS. On occasion, though, an indoor light source will halve my FPS. For instance:

This is the only window in this particular house that will have this issue. From this distance, I have my normal FPS.

But right here, my FPS gets cut by half, and my mouse movement becomes laggy.

It doesn't appear to be an HDR problem. I turned off HDR and bloom, and still get it. What's up with that?

Another quirk of the engine, I believe. There are "hotspots" throughout Oblivion, FO3, and New Vegas where looking in certain directions will cause your FPS to plummet for no discernible reason. The pre-OWB patch seems to have helped eliminate some of this (at least on my rig) but the issue still remains. I believe it has something to do with a lack of--or relatively ineffective--occlusion culling.

Off the top of my head, there are several areas in New Vegas where you can find these hotspots: The main entrance to the Repconn Test Site, Vault 21, the Lucky 38 Penthouse, and ESPECIALLY parts of Dead Money. If you type "twf" into the console and enable wireframes, you can see that this is often because of some sort of occlusion culling--that is, you're standing in a spot where the engine seems to be rendering / not rendering parts of the current cell. As you move around slightly, you can see rooms appearing and disappearing as the engine seems to predict what it doesn't need to render. In Dead Money's case, enabling wireframes reveals that huge portions of the map are being rendered in needlessly complex detail--areas an entire block away and completely out of sight.

I've read numerous complaints regarding the static light shafts causing mysterious slowdowns, especially when you stand beside a window and look alongside it. The Robco facility in FO3 had this problem in spades.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 8, 2011

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Wow, interesting! Thanks, Cream and Arrath!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland work properly? The idea of being able to play through the best areas of NV and FO3 and their (good) DLCs is amazing. Would need a really harsh XP penalty (-50%?) but it's making me hard.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:
So I just got the Quakecon pack and am downloading New Vegas at the moment, its been awhile since I played it (Borrowed it from a friend awhile ago) for mods what are the recommendations for 'Graphic enhancers'? So far I've got

Weapon Retexture Project
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38285

EVE
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42666

Nevada Skies
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35998

NMC
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43135

Are there any other suggestions, all I seem to be missing are armor re-textures but I don't think I ever saw people work on them? I'm looking more just for texture replacers, I know of that ENB mod but I'm not too fussed with that at the moment.

White Legs fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 8, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe I'll try the large version since everyone is reporting almost no performance impact from the medium version. But it's so many GBs... That's why I wanted a trip report from someone using Large first, but everyone here is just going medium.

I only have a 1 GB vRAM card. Since it suggests an SLI/Crossfire setup, I'm assuming it uses more than 1 GB vRAM since almost nothing but the very top end cards have like 2 GB vRAM whereas most 2 card setups would.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

White Legs posted:

Are there any other suggestions, all I seem to be missing are armor re-textures but I don't think I ever saw people work on them? I'm looking more just for texture replacers, I know of that ENB mod but I'm not too fussed with that at the moment.

I'm basically running this, minus any HUD stuff. In the process of changing the MNC FO3 pack to the official MNC New Vegas pack that was released quite recently as I type.

Will probably install the HUD stuff on my next playthrough though, Project Nevada at the least.

Comic fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 8, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ew, that looks even more garishly orange than vanilla New Vegas.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland work properly? The idea of being able to play through the best areas of NV and FO3 and their (good) DLCs is amazing. Would need a really harsh XP penalty (-50%?) but it's making me hard.

I don't think it would really work balance-wise to try to play them both on one character (even with a hefty XP penalty), but you can always just start a new character and hop straight into FO3 after character generation.

As far as how well it works, I haven't tried it, but apparently it "works". It's got some issues (as you might well imagine), but it's functional at the very least, and as far as quests and such go, they all work as they did in FO3.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ew, that looks even more garishly orange than vanilla New Vegas.

I probably didn't set some things properly, but this is what Goodsprings looked like when I started. It probably looks a lot better now though, since I've continued to tweak things. I'm about to see if the SMALL one gives me much difference in performance from MEDIUM now though. I'm not sure if it was that or something else I just installed but suddenly my fps is horrible.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Comic posted:

I'm basically running this, minus any HUD stuff. In the process of changing the MNC FO3 pack to the official MNC New Vegas pack that was released quite recently as I type.

Will probably install the HUD stuff on my next playthrough though, Project Nevada at the least.

With that mod, texture replacers, cinematec (for the film grain effect) and enbseries-shaders it's possible to make the game look pretty different, it's an awful lot of fiddling + trial&error though to find a setting which actually improves things and doesn't look like poo poo in different situations.

and for shits and giggles because I'm completly addicted to ME1 right now:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Gee Naky, you're really taking the Mare's Leg in an avant-garde direction. :v:

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I'm a bit confused as to how fnv4gb is supposed to work, do i have to run that exe every time i want to play or can i just start the game normally through steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

horchata posted:

I'm a bit confused as to how fnv4gb is supposed to work, do i have to run that exe every time i want to play or can i just start the game normally through steam?

Run the 4GB launcher everytime you want to play. I just pointed the desktop shortcut Steam made to it.