Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cromlech posted:

You don't need to know how to speak Japanese and copy paste it to know why the West likes the game. It's fun and the town life seems authentic and a fresh breath of air.

Wow, that saved me from taking a bunch of Japanese courses!
Well, I'm not sure exactly what you were trying to say, but my outings onto Japanese messageboards are mostly for two reasons, to practice Japanese in a hostile environment (in a friendly environment people will nod their head and smile even if they don't understand me), and do even a little bit to bridge the gap between Japanese players and Western (principally English sphere) players, because it is just huge. Both sides don't understand at all about each other, only crazy stereotypes and stuff. Especially on their side regarding us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Both sides don't understand at all about each other, only crazy stereotypes and stuff. Especially on their side regarding us.

Well that explains every game made by a Japanese studio trying to be Western in the last 5 years

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well that explains every game made by a Japanese studio trying to be Western in the last 5 years
Yep, and the geha (2ch's game industry board) crowd over there know and hate the poo poo out of that, they call it "world sickness". On that point they and I agree. Games like the Megaten series that take advantage of Japan's unique charms are going to do way better everywhere than a poor attempt at copying Western games that their local audience doesn't like anyway.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep, and the geha (2ch's game industry board) crowd over there know and hate the poo poo out of that, they call it "world sickness". On that point they and I agree. Games like the Megaten series that take advantage of Japan's unique charms are going to do way better everywhere than a poor attempt at copying Western games that their local audience doesn't like anyway.

Dragon's Dogma felt like Japanese take on Elder Scrolls games and it was awesome. :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bernardo Orel posted:

Dragon's Dogma felt like Japanese take on Elder Scrolls games and it was awesome. :colbert:
I dunno, apart from the visuals that game sure felt really Japanese to me. Also I wouldn't call it a resounding success, it had a whole lot of rough edges and barely implemented stuff.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think its popularity here has as much to do with gameplay as any kind of culture stuff. JRPGs are a waning genre that still has a huge fanbase here thanks to Final Fantasy and the SNES and PSX, but a lot of the ones that come out (or at least make it here) these days are either extremely generic and boring Japanese fantasy or sci-fi anime stuff or badly-conceived experimental poo poo like a lot of Square's games for the past generation and a half or so.

Persona 3 and 4 are neither of those things, and are instead elegantly-constructed and extremely polished entries into the genre with pretty unique art direction and music. I think in large part they were popular here because they're good games.

I still agree with your fundamental point, though. Japanese games are at their best when they're giving us stuff we can't get here, and since JRPGs and 2D fighters are the games I've spent the most time with over the years I hope they continue being made for the foreseeable future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pureauthor posted:

Marie asks what 'bifuteki' means, and you can explain that it's short for 'bifusuteki' (AKA beefsteak). She then says that's dumb because it obscures the fact that it's a steak, and suggests that 'fusuteki' would be a better choice.

I can't think of what the translators could've used as a shortening of 'beef steak', i.e., the English equivalent of "bifuteki".

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I can't think of what the translators could've used as a shortening of 'beef steak', i.e., the English equivalent of "bifuteki".

It's called "bifteck" in french and "bistec" in spanish, I guess they could have gone that way, talking about how it's called in other languages.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Petiso posted:

It's called "bifteck" in french and "bistec" in spanish, I guess they could have gone that way, talking about how it's called in other languages.

But how would you end up with Fsteak?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I believe it was actually borrowed from French and then re-analyzed in English into "beefsteak". Or to put it another way, English speakers took a wild guess about its internal structure and mapped it onto existing English words. It happens all the time. For example, I just today learned that "checkmate" comes from the Persian "shah mat" which means nothing of the sort.

edit: the best part was Naoto (I think?) wondering why beefsteak is the local delicacy when there are no cows around. It's just like in that one scene in Demolition Man.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 20, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: the best part was Naoto (I think?) wondering why beefsteak is the local delicacy when there are no cows around. It's just like in that one scene in Demolition Man.

Didn't "Kind Man" have a similar creepy realization?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I'm not sure exactly what you were trying to say, but my outings onto Japanese messageboards are mostly for two reasons, to practice Japanese in a hostile environment (in a friendly environment people will nod their head and smile even if they don't understand me), and do even a little bit to bridge the gap between Japanese players and Western (principally English sphere) players, because it is just huge. Both sides don't understand at all about each other, only crazy stereotypes and stuff. Especially on their side regarding us.

This is a really interesting topic, it seems weird to me that there would be such misunderstandings. Games that are good will sell well anywhere, if you are doing nothing but trying to pander to the target audience you will just end up making crap.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
You should honestly say, that one of the reasons Deadly Premonition succeeded over here as a demonstration of "Inspired by Western Game Design Philosophy, but still uniquely Japanese game exprinece" into what Western gamers want. It built up a unique world and setting, with a lot of charm, so Western gamers were extremely forgiving of it's many faults.

It's been a while since I've been on 2chan, are there any Western games they like over there now, sorta of like a Persona 4 cult hit? Because the censuses used to be "All American games are poo poo"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Both sides don't understand at all about each other, only crazy stereotypes and stuff. Especially on their side regarding us.

Sorry if that sound a bit confrontational, but there's plenty of that on our side as well, as one can see with a casual stroll in those very boards. From the point of view of a foreigner to both american and japanese cultures, it's kinda funny, because I feel the same kind of displacement when interacting with both cultures, though not at the same point, and a tad more often with japanese things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

This is a really interesting topic, it seems weird to me that there would be such misunderstandings. Games that are good will sell well anywhere, if you are doing nothing but trying to pander to the target audience you will just end up making crap.

This is pretty silly and not just from a Japanese vs Western perspective. Different cultures don't necessarily enjoy the same things. Even different people from the same country enjoy different things. Not trying to figure out your target audience is silly because there are different gameplay philosophies which are equally valid but mutually distinctive.

Gameplay isn't something that can be "good" or "bad" with no in-between. Design decisions that work for one person can be utterly ruinous for another. Understanding who is going to buy your game, and why, and understanding that may render it unsellable to other people is part of designing a game. This game even include basic visual design decisions, which are hard enough to get right without going cross-cultural.

Not to mention the implication that any game that is good sells well is disprovable even just within the country of origin. How many cult hits are there which sold like utter crap despite rave reviews and plenty of stock?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 20, 2012

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Strange Quark posted:

You might change your mind in Golden since she gets something that's basically a full party Heat Riser. :v:

Though truthfully, I never used her in P4. I brought Kanji to the end instead even though I only managed to get to Rank 5 with his link.

Wait. What. Holy poo poo holy poo poo How does this happen?

As for party members I likes everyone and kept on rotating my lineup.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Samurai Sanders posted:

...For me, there are only two games I have ever played that really made me feel like I was in Japan, Shenmue and P4. P3 and the Yakuza series don't really do it for me because a big city's a big city, there's not much about that setting that really screams Japan in particular.

You nailed exactly why I love P4 so much. Honestly, I barely remember the gameplay from my first playthrough, but I still remember almost every line of dialog and the sense of nostalgia I had for small town Japanese life.

What boards do you usually visit? 2ch?

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Really digging P4G right now. Totally justified getting a Vita for me, since I never played P4 before.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It turns out the P4G wallpapers have been online for ages. They're just Jpegs. http://p-atlus.jp/p4g/v/ir5xpJYzDd08/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bah I have thanksgiving off but can't play P4G because Gamestop doesn't believe in release date shipping. Amazon has me spoiled.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

S Danger K posted:

Really digging P4G right now. Totally justified getting a Vita for me, since I never played P4 before.

So jealous of all of you. Just can't justify a Vita with a launch 3DS sitting in a box with about ten hours of use on it. Hopefully a couple years from now we'll get a PS2 Classic release of vanilla P4 like with P3P/the eventual FES release.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I love P4 for a bunch of different reasons, and the small town, slice of life setting is one of them. An interest in down to earth, Japanese culture combined with my own experiences living in a town with a dying shopping district due to the freshly built Walmart brings a sense of familiarity to the unfamiliar.

Also, the art direction and music are fantastic, turn based RPGs are one of the few kinds of games I can play, the characters are awesome, social linking is mega cool, and the battle system is pretty fantastic.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man, I can't believe I haven't played this game before. It's been like 4 years since it came out, but this is so much better than P3!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Why am I so excited to play this game again?

Oh yeah. loving -everything- about it is perfect.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Around what time does the PSN update? I need my fix.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, last night I asked if anyone knew the popularity breakdown of the characters in Japan, someone finally listed some poll results from immediately after the PS2 version was released (dunno where from).

Naoto 12000 votes
Yukiko/Rise 11000 votes
main character 8000 votes
Chie 4000 votes
Yosuke 1500 votes
Adachi 1000 votes
other less than 1000 votes

Wow, leaving aside Kanji, Nanako didn't place either? Weird.

gameday posted:

What boards do you usually visit? 2ch?
I read 2ch (can't write there, it seems) and Hachima's blog which is really just an extension of geha. I should probably actually search around for some less lovely parts of the Japanese internet but I get some kind of weird fascination from how bad a lot of the posting is on these.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 20, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Is it just me, or is Chie's new voice actor Quark from Virtue's Last Reward? There are some lines which I swear sound just like him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It is. She was also Erica from Catherine.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, last night I asked if anyone knew the popularity breakdown of the characters in Japan, someone finally listed some poll results from immediately after the PS2 version was released (dunno where from).

Naoto 12000 votes
Yukiko/Rise 11000 votes

main character 8000 votes
Chie 4000 votes
Yosuke 1500 votes
Adachi 1000 votes
other less than 1000 votes

why

No, seriously. I'm having a hard time understanding why these three are so much more popular than everyone else outside of "a hell of a lot of creepy Japanese nerds played this game", and I'm really hoping that there's a different answer to that question that I'm not seeing.

VVVV :negative:

Silly Voodoo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's exactly that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Silly Voodoo posted:

why

No, seriously. I'm having a hard time understanding why these three are so much more popular than everyone else outside of "a hell of a lot of creepy Japanese nerds played this game", and I'm really hoping that there's a different answer to that question that I'm not seeing.
Well, Yukiko represents the typical prim and proper image for Japan, so it's no wonder she's ranked highly. Rise is the idol, it's no wonder she's ranked highly. Naoto...uh...

edit: speaking of Rise, I didn't like her at all for the sole reason that when she was introduced it sounded like she was trying really hard to abandon her idol life and I thought wow, that sounds really interesting. But what does she do for the whole game? Be an idol.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 20, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Binary loving Domain :colbert:.

Also yes of course there's a lot of creepy loving nerds playing it that's why Adachi was ranked highly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's exactly that.

The poll would be somewhat bias though, as the bigger nerds are probably more likely to send in answers. Also screw the haters, Naoto's alright.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I were to take a guess...

Naoto - Fills very much the same role Aigis did in P3 being the X Factor of the group and stand out character in terms of what they're supposed to be. However, where as Aigis was a robot girl, Naoto is a girl that dresses like a dude... I don't know if her being a detective factors into that, but hell I doubt it. She's also really loving shy and her character arc is about her femininity and she dresses up for you on Christmas, so yeah.

Yukiko - Traditional boring wallflower girl that ends up being the main heroine of these games.

Rise - She's a idol and voice by Rie Kugimiya, go figure.

At least Adachi's up there, he's the only loving good thing about that list.

Cake Attack posted:

The poll would be somewhat bias though, as the bigger nerds are probably more likely to send in answers. Also screw the haters, Naoto's alright.

Maybe it's due to the fact I used to like Naoto a lot, but I don't feel nearly the same level of vitriol as others do. Maybe it's also because after dealing with Rise being annoying as hell and Yukiko being boring as poo poo, I was craving a second female character in the group who didn't annoy the piss out of me. Chie's still the best though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the only Persona characters I actually dislike are Yukari in The Answer, Ken, and Fuuka. Everyone else is just fine, to varying degrees.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I liked Yukari in the answer. Yeah she was extremely hostile but it was completely warranted, and she got over it by the end.

There is no excuse for Ken though (I'm surprised they didn't pull a FF13-2 thing like with Hope and put super cool Ken in the fighting game).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Poor Brosuke :(

I still like ya, buddy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got me some P4G, motherfuckers. :getin:

I can understand why people don't like Chie's new VA. She can be a little inexperienced. I like her, though.

I barely remember Naoto outside of the usual fanart, I'll pay more attention to her this time and see what all the fuss is about.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just got my copy of P4G and this skin even though I pre-ordered the game like two days ago. I cannot wait to abuse my scene skip function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven't played this game in almost half a decade so I'm not skipping anything. I forgot a hell of a lot of this. :psyduck:

edit i did review the basic story by watching the hiimdaisy dub tho