Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

RIP Boxee Box

you goofy looking bastard

I had that one too

The Boxee Box’s greatest contribution was introducing the world to the combination keyboard/remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FCKGW posted:

I had that one too

The Boxee Box’s greatest contribution was introducing the world to the combination keyboard/remote.

Yeah that was definitely its best feature, it was pretty neat.

The design went from “wow it looks so neat” to “ugh this is annoying” within record time after the unboxing. But thankfully it could just sit in the AV shelf once it was set up.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The 2017 Shield (which I use) has 2 USB ports if you can find it anywhere.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I have a show in plex which has US and Australian versions along with the original UK. I have all 3 versions in plex, but it's picking them all up as a single show and just displaying 3 possible versions of each episode (similar to how it would if you have the same episode of a show at different qualities).

I have all three directories named as following:
Show Name (UK)
Show Name (US)
Show Name (AU)

Is there any way I can tell plex to treat each of these directories as separate shows rather than try and merge them all?

Edit: I got them working by renaming to "Show Name - US" and "Show Name - AU", but still interested if there is a way of doing this through plex without going through the directories?

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 7, 2020

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I have a show in plex which has US and Australian versions along with the original UK. I have all 3 versions in plex, but it's picking them all up as a single show and just displaying 3 possible versions of each episode (similar to how it would if you have the same episode of a show at different qualities).

Show Name (UK)
Show Name (US)
Show Name (AU)

Is there any way I can tell plex to treat each of these directories as separate shows rather than try and merge them all?

Edit: I got them working by renaming to "Show Name - US" and "Show Name - AU", but still interested if there is a way of doing this through plex without going through the directories?

If you click the ellipsis in the corner of the shows’s poster, hit Match, then search options, you can fiddle with the name of things and then choose the show it is once you hit Search and it finds some hits. I had to do this a whole bunch yesterday with a ton of anime, and I have to do it almost anytime a show has a colon in its name.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 7, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anytime I get something that won't match by default in Plex, I do my best to name the folder/files so it'll pick it up correctly on a rescan, just in case the worst happens and I have to start afresh. As LODGE says though, things with colons are a pain in the butt and they need to use things like -s essentially as wildcards for matching.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I was sitting in my backyard watching a movie on my iPad and marveling at how far this poo poo has come. I used to have to load an external with movies, carrying it upstairs, and hook it up to my Xbox 360 to watch movies. Going to get a new one that wasn’t one the drive was like a 20 minute process. Before that I used to have my computer hooked up to the tv via a 20 foot VGA to HDMI cable that I would have to plug and unplug every time I wanted to watch a movie.

Since I’m in the Apple ecosystem it was a slow march forward until the AppleTv launched with app support, but once it did absolutely everything changed. No longer had to baby sit everything, no longer had to convert everything into MP4 to add it to iTunes for home sharing, etc.

There are bugs (I just had about 12 movies re-add themselves as new movies and delete themselves from playlists for no apparent reason) but it’s really amazing where things are at now.

I bet we all have horror stories of the hoops we used to jump through to watch movies.

Edit: And for years when I first got into Plex I was dirt poor and had all of my media loaded on an original Drobo filled with lovely used 5200 green drives connected via USB2 and streaming over lovely WiFi. And Plex still worked 99% of the time!

Violator fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 8, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chubby Henparty posted:

How can I shift a couple of TV shows stuck at the top of 'recently added' for several months? Everything legit added shows after those.

I know my reply is a little late but I had this particular issue with a single episode of Friends always showing as "recently added". I checked the file creation date on my Windows server and it was the year 2035. I changed it and it went away after that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Buying a Roku 3 in early 2013 is actually what forced me to move to Plex. That was a happy accident.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
In 2010 I had to travel for work for 2 weeks. I had to run a LAN cable from my laptop to my launch model Xbox 360, and bridge the wired and wireless connections on the laptop for the Xbox to even get to the internet to do Netflix. For a torrented show, it was the system video player playing it from a flash drive (a new feature added to the 360) because playback over SMB wasn't reliable.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, life before Plex was pretty archaic. I used to just have my PC display mirrored to a big rear end CRT television over VGA (or DVI, I forget) and watched stuff using Media Player Classic with some codec pack installed. The WDTV Live circa 2009 was my first "living room" device that played my media via browsing network shares. I used that until 2013 when I bought a Roku 3 since my parents wanted Netflix access in the living room, not knowing the Roku couldn't just do the same thing that my WDTV did with regards to local media over network shares. That's how I found out about Plex.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

Show Name (UK)
Show Name (US)
Show Name (AU)

I’m not sure what show you’re talking about, and I know this doesn’t 100% answer your question, but it might come down to the naming scheme of the show. The problem is that these multi-region shows all use a different name formation.

You should look the show up on TVDB and see how it’s named to see how to title your directories.

For example, the show Love Island is

Love Island
Love Island (US)
Love Island Australia
Love Island NZ

The un-regioned one is UK, but since it’s not actually called that plex may have trouble if you add UK.

For Australia, since it’s spelled and and not AU, if you don’t spell it out it may struggle.

For New Zealand, if you put parentheses it may not catch because that version doesn’t have it.

It’s stupid, but the names are too similar for plex to understand without some coaxing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Violator posted:

I was sitting in my backyard watching a movie on my iPad and marveling at how far this poo poo has come.
I bet we all have horror stories of the hoops we used to jump through to watch movies.

I've legit forgotten most of what I used to do in between the eras of "rent disc from Netflix, rip and burn a copy, stick it in a binder" and "Plex". I think I had an HTPC at one point.

Somewhere along the way (2013ish?) I tried installing Plex on a lark because XBMC was being annoying. I hadn't done much with it yet but set it up and point it at the library. One random night my daughter wakes up with a wicked fever and we haul her to urgent care. She's inconsolably screaming because of course she is, she's a tiny kid sitting in a doctor's office and everything hurts. I fire up Plex on my phone, point it at a movie I know she likes, and it just loving worked. She chilled out and I was instantly sold.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still remember the dark days of having database hacks installed to get XBMC to share its library across the network, and hacked Apple TV gen 2s to watch it in my bedroom.

And this was a decade on from running XMBP on my original Xbox and running xvids from burnt dvds. Which itself was a bunch of years of running composite outs from a computer into a crt.

Ah the joy of Usenet back then, where you’d get literally 3 days of retention and a movie would take the upper 5 days to upload if it was on multiple svcds.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Alright y'all I need your help before I drive myself nuts. I have a plex server set up on my Windows PC and I'm trying to move it over to my Nvidia Shield Pro. I figured the easiest way would to be to just copy the files I need onto an external hard drive, hook that up to the Shield, set up a new server, and then shut down my PC server. It's a bit of a pain, but I can do that in an afternoon. But Plex will just not set up a new server on my shield. When I log into my account, it just automatically tries to use my PC, even if I have that completely shut down. I'm hesitant to delete my PC server before moving everything, but I will if that's what needs to happen. I looked up how to just transfer over a server and the guides I found look really complicated. Anyone have any ideas here, or an idiot-proof step by step guide?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Alright y'all I need your help before I drive myself nuts. I have a plex server set up on my Windows PC and I'm trying to move it over to my Nvidia Shield Pro. I figured the easiest way would to be to just copy the files I need onto an external hard drive, hook that up to the Shield, set up a new server, and then shut down my PC server. It's a bit of a pain, but I can do that in an afternoon. But Plex will just not set up a new server on my shield. When I log into my account, it just automatically tries to use my PC, even if I have that completely shut down. I'm hesitant to delete my PC server before moving everything, but I will if that's what needs to happen. I looked up how to just transfer over a server and the guides I found look really complicated. Anyone have any ideas here, or an idiot-proof step by step guide?

It’s pretty straight forward, yeah. If i’m understanding you right, all you need to do is transfer your content, install Plex Media Server, point to the right folders etc, then use Plex to browse stuff.

That may be the problem: Plex app is “just” the media browser, but the Media Server app is where you set up new servers etc.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 8, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My old setup was a DVD player I had to ship from overseas that would play avi files direct burned to a disk.

So much format conversion.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

It’s pretty straight forward, yeah. If i’m understanding you right, all you need to do is transfer your content, install Plex Media Server, point to the right folders etc, then use Plex to browse stuff.

That may be the problem: Plex app is “just” the media browser, but the Media Server app is where you set up new servers etc.

See, that's what I thought originally. But I installed Plex and Plex Media Server on my Shield, and it just won't let me select which folders to get my files from. It just keeps defaulting to using my PC even when the PC is turned off, and I'm not seeing an option to change that on the Shield itself. I know the Shield is capable of accessing the files because I can navigate to them with a File Management App, but Plex just refuses to. I'm at work right now, but I'll double check it when I get home later. Maybe I was in a fugue state yesterday due to lack of pizza or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My setup in the late 90s was I'd always buy an ATI All-in-Wonder video card. It's always the only video card I ever bought, probably from 1997 to 2003. This is because it both has s-video out, and s-video in. So I would use it to watch ripped stuff from my computer to my CRT. Until I got married and bought my own home in 2009, this was always my setup. I always had a 25 foot s-video cable going from the back of my PC, wrapped all around the room, all the way to my CRT. The funny thing is, it was almost exclusively done to watch The Simpsons. I never pirated movies or anything. Hell, most of The Simpsons rips were ones I captured live on TV with my All-in-Wonder (it also had a TV tuner on it).

There was a really cool feature with DirectX 6 or 7 (I forget which) at the time where if you opened a video file on your computer (or even just opened a website that had an embedded video), it would automatically play it in full screen on the 2nd monitor (so, my television). This meant I could play videos in full screen on the TV for my gf at the time while I did stuff on the computer like an idiot nerd. DirectX 8 I believe got rid of this feature and it pissed me off so bad that I refused to buy a new video card for a really long time.

Anyway though I had that setup for a really long time, in 2002 or so I moved onto a modded XBox 1. I kind of enjoy being a smug dork when people ask me if I ever heard of Kodi and I say "yeah, I used it when it was called XBMC :smug: ". So eventually my setup was a modded Xbox 1 with a 250 gig hard drive and every good Simpsons episode ripped to it (seasons 3-11). I also had Futurama on there. That was it. I even modded my OG Xbox 1 with an IR port that could turn the system on with the wireless DVD remote (for whatever reason, Microsoft gave the xbox1 an IR port that could not turn the system on and off). Since I mostly used The Simpsons episodes to help me fall asleep, it was important for me to not have to get up off my lazy rear end to turn the XBox on. I had to drill a little hole in the XBox and everything.

Even though my desktop was still hooked up to my CRT for years after I modded my OG Xbox, it was reserved more for stuff like emulators or the occasional video that was embedded in a website.

From 2008 until 2014 when I started using Plex, I would build these stupid HTPCs for every room in my house. They'd usually be Shuttle PC or Zotec cases with mini-ATX motherboards in them. It was always be a huge pain in the rear end to get Kodi to work properly on them. When the computer would boot, Windows would always be "on top" of Kodi, and Kodi would never respond to IR remote commands unless I made it the focused window. I always had to use a mouse to click on Kodi before it would work, so I would just leave these stupid HTPCs on all day. I remember always testing out my builds with this video file called "killasample.wmv" or something; it was a 30 second scene of birds flying from one of the "Planet Earth" HD DVD rips which tons of people used to test if their system was up to snuff because it really taxed the system. If it choked or dropped frames, you needed a better CPU :allears:

It was also annoying having to fill up these 500GB laptop hard drives in these HTPCs all around the house since I didn't use a network. I did everything locally. It was so rear end-backwards but really that's the way it was before Plex.

I still like the way Kodi flies through episodes at warp speed (makes it way nicer to find specific sketches for things like old SNL episodes) but Kodi is such a shitshow on Android that I pretty much never use it for anything, ever. It never seems to be able to connect to my Windows server share, despite no other Android programs having a problem viewing stuff on my network. Sometimes it will only connect to about half of my hard drives which makes even less sense.

Yeah having a desktop Windows PC on 24/7 probably isn't great for my electric bill but it's still way better for the environment than 5 cable boxes that are the power equivalent of 3 full-size refrigerators, plus never ever seeing a commercial ever again does wonders for my mental health. I can't put into words how much advertisements bother me the rare times I see them now that I haven't seen any in years.

edit: I can't believe how much crap I just wrote about this that no one will read. Anyway long live Plex.

edit2: haha someone actually uploaded killasample to Youtube. Wow this brings back (annoying and bad) memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70kx57DlPE

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 8, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah having a desktop Windows PC on 24/7 probably isn't great for my electric bill but it's still way better for the environment than 5 cable boxes that are the power equivalent of 3 full-size refrigerators, plus never ever seeing a commercial ever again does wonders for my mental health. I can't put into words how much advertisements bother me the rare times I see them now that I haven't seen any in years.

It has been so long since I've had a cable box that I forgot about this poo poo. Fucker would be "off" for hours and still be hot to the touch.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

It has been so long since I've had a cable box that I forgot about this poo poo. Fucker would be "off" for hours and still be hot to the touch.

There's a reason cats love sleeping on them.

Even in standby mode it felt like you could fry an egg on it. I wonder what they hell they were doing in sleep mode :tinfoil:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plex is truly remarkable and these stories remind me of my own similar setups.

I went through the Zotacs and whatnot before settling on my Mac Mini which had enough power and didn’t have a huge power draw. The AppleTVs made it so they worked well and also allowed airplay for our guests who seems to always have iPhones. I also got enough upload bandwidth around that tune so when my father was sick in bed 2500 miles away he could watch Justified and Monk with absolutely no problems. Then once I got traveling for work the mobile app allowing offline viewing on airplanes and it auto updating while I’d be gone on 6 week trips is just insane.

Plex has run my home entertainment for over 6 years now and it’s hard to fathom how I’ve only paid what I did for a lifetime subscription

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I legit forgot I built an HTPC somewhere in or after getting the Roku 3 in 2013. Lmao at HTPCs now. What a quaint notion.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

See, that's what I thought originally. But I installed Plex and Plex Media Server on my Shield, and it just won't let me select which folders to get my files from. It just keeps defaulting to using my PC even when the PC is turned off, and I'm not seeing an option to change that on the Shield itself. I know the Shield is capable of accessing the files because I can navigate to them with a File Management App, but Plex just refuses to. I'm at work right now, but I'll double check it when I get home later. Maybe I was in a fugue state yesterday due to lack of pizza or something.

Are you going to the Shields IP:32400 to set it up?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Burden posted:

I think I tried that? I honestly can't remember now, since I tried so much stuff with it yesterday. I'm due to get home in about three hours, I'll double check that and the other stuff suggested then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Soysaucebeast posted:

This thread regarding moving one Nvidia Shield installation to a new Nvidia Shield might be of some help https://forums.plex.tv/t/transferring-library-to-new-nvidia-shield-android-tv-pro/594279

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Anyone use... Orb 10-12 years back? That was a good effort at web-serving media. I remember it was good at home, but when I tried to stream The Pacific at 1080p to watch at a friend's place on our crappy connections,we gave up and discovered Star Crash thanks to users doing public streaming. I wonder if they evolved into plex or twitch or something.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Chubby Henparty posted:

Anyone use... Orb 10-12 years back? That was a good effort at web-serving media. I remember it was good at home, but when I tried to stream The Pacific at 1080p to watch at a friend's place on our crappy connections,we gave up and discovered Star Crash thanks to users doing public streaming. I wonder if they evolved into plex or twitch or something.

I did some Orb experiments back in the day. Didn't it depend on flash video, which for a long time basically nothing could play at a proper framerate for tv/movies?

It's amazing how long it took for anything with an HDMI port to approach the functionality and usability of a softmodded Xbox with a DVD remote.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Before I started using Plex + Roku I had some sort of Tivo for a few years that I think would play off of USB thumb-drives. And before that, my primary method was burning DVDs and VCDs that would play on first my Panasonic and then my (region free, whoop whoop) Philips DVD player. Or when the situation demanded, whipping out a 20 foot VGA cable + aux cable and plugging them into my tv. The dark days.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Delthalaz posted:

Before I started using Plex + Roku I had some sort of Tivo for a few years that I think would play off of USB thumb-drives. And before that, my primary method was burning DVDs and VCDs that would play on first my Panasonic and then my (region free, whoop whoop) Philips DVD player. Or when the situation demanded, whipping out a 20 foot VGA cable + aux cable and plugging them into my tv. The dark days.

I remember one of the requirements I had when buying my first plasma TV was that it had to have a vga port (very common on plasma, very uncommon on lcd, for whatever reason. I wanted plasma for the superior picture quality anyway).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

I remember being blown away at the quality of a Matrix Reloaded telecine that I burned an SVCD for. The days of 2-disc/file AVIs encoded with DivX/XviD. Truly dark days indeed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

In rough chronological order:
- Watching AVI files on my 17" CRT monitor in my student room
- Putting SD files onto an iPod video and watching them on a large CRT
- Long VGA -> S-video cable
- Long HDMI cable
- USB stick
- PLEX

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Burden posted:

Ok, I think I got everything working. I'm transferring my media to my soon-to-be-dedicated external now, but everything worked with the thumb drive I tested it out with. It seems like the issue was that I didn't do that, like an idiot. Or rather, I tried to do it, was too dang dumb to figure out how, and got distracted with something else. I got to the http://youripaddresshere:32400/web/index.html address just fine a bit ago, got everything configured and I think I'm good to go. Turns out I didn't realize I had to add the :32400 at the end of it. If I break anything else I'll let y'all know, but tentatively I think we're good. Thanks for the assist on everything y'all. It was really a lot of help and got my brain working again.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone else burn the DVD screener of the first LOTR movie in late 2001? I remember struggling greatly with the hundreds of RAR files and then running into FAT32 file size issues, but when I finally got that sucker burned to an Apple-branded DVD-R, it was the most incredible drat thing ever.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
NBCi sharehouse and scripts to find all 54 rar files for a video CD.... So many long nights getting movies only to watch them maybe once.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pzy posted:

Anyone else burn the DVD screener of the first LOTR movie in late 2001? I remember struggling greatly with the hundreds of RAR files and then running into FAT32 file size issues, but when I finally got that sucker burned to an Apple-branded DVD-R, it was the most incredible drat thing ever.

Yeah the timing for being able to do at-home DVD burning along with the shift from VHS to DVD screeners at that point was a beautiful thing.

I had a supplier claim he had sourced the next LOTR movie, moooonths in advance of it coming out (either theatrically/oscar screener leak) and the guy had come through with legit pre-release stuff in the past. I remember being in chat where 50% of the convo was 'this is loving insane if this is legit' and 50% 'yeah we're absolutely going to jail if this one is legit'. Kinda a relief he never came through on that one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pzy posted:

I did this for The Two Towers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I used to download movies on Napster and Morpheus, but only if they were .wmv or .ASF because I couldn't watch partially downloaded .Avi files and had dialup. I had a pretty good .ASF of The Matrix that was letterboxed and, thinking about it, may have come from the laserdisc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

I had a pretty good .ASF of The Matrix that was letterboxed and, thinking about it, may have come from the laserdisc.

Intriguing, I wonder if it was ripped due to perhaps not having the green tint that was added to the other home releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Intriguing, I wonder if it was ripped due to perhaps not having the green tint that was added to the other home releases.

edit: Apparently you're right, until the 4k remasters came out the Laserdisc version was the only way you could see the Matrix with the original theatrical coloring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEdgmNZnLs4

Also I just found out that Laserdisc is an analog format which blows my mind

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 9, 2020