Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

I think back to how competitive, risky, impulsive, and determined my peers and I were in beating each other to desirable girlfriends in high school and college and I shudder to imagine that with ten percent less available women.

Look at you, assuming there's high school and college when you're sent out from the countryside to work a factory job around age 15 because god knows the farm town you're from ain't going to have prospects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

berzerker posted:

Possibly already mentioned, but say hello to a future 5-4 decision abolishing organized labor:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/us/supreme-court-to-hear-challenge-to-union-fees.html
Please let one of the conservative justices die of natural causes, an Act of God, or in a no-fault accident. Please.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Please let one of the conservative justices die of natural causes, an Act of God, or in a no-fault accident. Please.
You'll have to find one of their phylacteries first.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Each one of Scalia's dissents are another Horcrux

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

this_is_hard posted:

You have to have a soul to start with to use Horcruxes.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

berzerker posted:

Possibly already mentioned, but say hello to a future 5-4 decision abolishing organized labor:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/us/supreme-court-to-hear-challenge-to-union-fees.html

Maybe Scalia and Thomas will both retire/die before the next session :negative:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

With something juicy like that on the horizon? No, their rotting corpses would still rise every morning and shuffle in to work until their job was done.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

If Hillary Clinton is elected to two terms then at the end of those two terms Thomas will be the same age that Ginsberg is now.

Dude was like 46 when he was appointed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Trump is suing Univision for $500 million

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

If Hillary Clinton is elected to two terms then at the end of those two terms Thomas will be the same age that Ginsberg is now.

Dude was like 46 when he was appointed.

Also Scalia will be 88, and we all know he will live that long.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hey fishmech I am not sure how much the 25 and up bracket matters if we're talking about hypothetical future war pressure from a young male population without relationship prospects. Looking into the next decade, a ratio of over 1.1 seems pretty drat bad even considering foreign brides (and its not like their neighbours have a large enough surplus of women to balance out China's deficit)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fried Chicken posted:

Good. Let it buuuuurn :shepface:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, is there anything in his platform he doesn't want the Mexicans to pay for?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, we just found out how much upcoming debt Trump needs to pay off!

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey fishmech I am not sure how much the 25 and up bracket matters if we're talking about hypothetical future war pressure from a young male population without relationship prospects. Looking into the next decade, a ratio of over 1.1 seems pretty drat bad even considering foreign brides (and its not like their neighbours have a large enough surplus of women to balance out China's deficit)

Because in every country there's severe male-tilted mortality between birth and the mid 20s. Look, for example, how the US goes from 1.05:1 to near on 1:1 from birth up to 15-24 into 25-54.

Extreme male imbalances in early age brackets tend to correct substantially by the point you get to marriage ages.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The US and Cuba are going to jointly announce the opening of embassies tomorrow.

Has anyone done a listicle of all the pundits tweeting that the Obama Presidency was "over" two weeks ago?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

On the topic of the F-35: Test Pilot Admits the F-35 Can't Dogfight

Somewhere John Boys is spinning in his grave
John Boys?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

On the topic of the F-35: Test Pilot Admits the F-35 Can't Dogfight

Somewhere John Boys is spinning in his grave

JSF program is bad, but this article is so dumb.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The US and Cuba are going to jointly announce the opening of embassies tomorrow.

Has anyone done a listicle of all the pundits tweeting that the Obama Presidency was "over" two weeks ago?
What's the prospect on embassy funding and ambassador confirmation?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

What's the prospect on embassy funding and ambassador confirmation?

I imagine nil, but I believe the old American consulate in Havana is still staffed, just operating in a this-is-totally-not-an-embassy mode.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Josh Lyman posted:

John Boys?

Typo. John Boyd

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boyd_(military_strategist)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

mlmp08 posted:

JSF program is bad, but this article is so dumb.

WW II style dogfighting is a serious design parameter in modern air combat, and it's tragic to see that there will never be another Top Gun movie until this shameful piece of hardware is replaced.

Joementum posted:

I'm quite happy about this. Normalizing relations with Cuba is long overdue.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

this_is_hard posted:

We destroyed one by using his marriage opinion to approve same-sex marriage. We will find the rest.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fat man in blue shirt.
Fat man in red shirt.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

But as mentioned, a lot of them just get foreign wives. The previously mentioned 1.44 to 1 ratio would have meant that even doing that would be impossible to sustain.

IIRC, a lot of them are getting African wives. Apparently, Chinese men view African women in the same way American men view Asian women as perfect wife material.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Hillary Clinton is going to lift the Embargo on Cuba in 2018 and it's going to be great.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

Hillary Clinton is going to lift the Embargo on Cuba in 2018 and it's going to be great.

Bernie's gonna make Fidel his veep pick, checkmate hillaiures :smuggo:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Bernie's gonna make Fidel his veep pick, checkmate hillaiures :smuggo:

Not so fast, Hillary will make Castro her veep pick.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Voyager I posted:

WW II style dogfighting is a serious design parameter in modern air combat, and it's tragic to see that there will never be another Top Gun movie until this shameful piece of hardware is replaced.

Did they ever get the F-35's gun working?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I thought dogfighting was obsolete in the F-15 days. Why would anyone even talk about it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought dogfighting was obsolete in the F-15 days. Why would anyone even talk about it?

A lot of dudes can't let go of the image of the too cool for school dogfighter when the reality is the air force is mostly about dropping bombs and engaging from way too far away to make dogfighting worth your time.

The last actual dogfight was probably in the 1991 gulf war.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

A lot of dudes can't let go of the image of the too cool for school dogfighter when the reality is the air force is mostly about dropping bombs and engaging from way too far away to make dogfighting worth your time.

The last actual dogfight was probably in the 1991 gulf war.

The last dogfight that the US was involved in was during the Vietnam war. The US shut Iraq down, almost entirely in 1991.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

The last dogfight that the US was involved in was during the Vietnam war..

Blatantly false.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just think of all the dogfights we'd have faced if Ronnie hadn't stopped them building that runway!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Boon posted:

The last dogfight that the US was involved in was during the Vietnam war. The US shut Iraq down, almost entirely in 1991.

There were multiple fights between fighter craft in Kosovo in 1999.
Turkish and Greek F-16s that the both sides use fought in 2006.

Last decade also saw Eritrea and Ethiopia fighting it out with modern fighters, albeit they were russian-built.
Rumors have it that a Ukrainian SU-25 was shot down by a Russian fighter, but no real data.

In addition, airspace incursions have chases and duking that don't necessarily lead to all-out shooty shooty, but while the dogfighting in itself is not as prevalent as it might've been on Adler Tag over the Isles of Britain, it's not some outdated concept.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

I heard that on the radio. Its nice to hear good news once and while.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Voyager I posted:

:ssh: Top Gun 2 is currently in development. :ssh:

Maverick is going to fight drones.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

LGD posted:

:ssh: Top Gun 2 is currently in development. :ssh:

Maverick is going to fight drones.

in an F-35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Do consenting adults have a right to contract with other consenting adults? Supporters of the Supreme Court’s decision argue yes but they argue no when it comes to economic liberties, like contracts regarding wages. It seems some rights are more equal than others." ~ Rand Paul.

• Locked thread