Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How am I the crazy one? Because I feel Fallout 1 aged like milk and Fallout 2 is by far the better of the isometric games?

Seriously though, you go on some tangent about people from NMA and how anyone anyone who likes any of the previous Fallout games is just like them, then say anyone who has legitimate criticism about Fallout 3 is being a ignorant nitpicker. Fallout 3 problems are glaring, and not because :airquote: people over looked stuff :airquote: or that Bethesda was trying to forge it's own identity, it's because they did a lovely job making a lovely Fallout game.

frajaq posted:

I wouldn't call Fallout 3 lovely, it was a pretty decent game, specially when it came out

To each there own, I personally thought it was crap, but that's just my opinion.

Hihohe posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 Did age like milk though.

You'll get no argument from me, the games came out almost 20 years ago, It's dated as dated can be. Course I don't think Fallout 3 has aged any better in that regard, at least Fallout 1&2 high points are it's story, but Fallout 3 high point is it's gameplay and it was outdated even when it came out. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wouldn't call Fallout 3 lovely, it was a pretty decent game, specially when it came out

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Fallout 3 is a victim of hindsight. A lot of games that seem good at the time but when they are trumped by its successor then it seems a lot worse. Borderlands, Saints Row, and Mass Effect are other examples of games that seemed fantastic on release but are dull and lackluster compared to their sequels.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Spun Dog posted:

Vodoo priest protagonist, bead based currency, mutant crawdaddies, banjos. gently caress, I'd buy that day one.

Wouldn't that basically be part Bioshock as Old Orleans would be a bubble city on the toxic ocean floor?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hihohe posted:

The only problem I truly have with Fallout 1 is the limit of 3 digits on doing cap transactions. Buying high end stuff with a low barter skill ends up with you having to do 999 caps, ok, 999 caps, ok, 999 caps, ok, 999 caps, ok for 10 straight minutes to move enough money over.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Is this robodad thing just a joke/assumption about the time gap? Or is there something I haven't seen outside the e3 footage?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I will say that Fallout 3 aged a little better and is more accessible, Before fallout 3 I hadnt even play any of the Fallouts, I think i remember fallout 1 and 2 combo packs in those little computer game boxes at the Walmart (god i miss those) and I never remembered the name and made the connection. When i played the game at first i was kinda floored by all you could do. I remember playing it with my friend and busting out laughing when Bloody mess fricken exploded things. The vats bullet time stuff was always cool. The story was enhh and forgettable but i usually ignored it. My freaking jaw dropped when i first used the Fat Man.

There were a lot of things they considered when making this game for a new audience that I think is pretty good game design.

3 is a different game for a different age and to compare them to 1 and 2 is like comparing Rock and Roll to Rap.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 26, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if newer models of power armor will need fuel. IIRC, T-51b's fuel cores were supposed to last for thousands of years.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if newer models of power armor will need fuel. IIRC, T-51b's fuel cores were supposed to last for thousands of years.

Tragically they used the same battery life estimator that cell phone manufacturers use

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Crabtree posted:

Wouldn't that basically be part Bioshock as Old Orleans would be a bubble city on the toxic ocean floor?

It just keeps getting better. Picturing a Mad Max, scrap metal diving bell.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The power armor will be a victim of planned obsolescence.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Cheap Shot posted:

Is this robodad thing just a joke/assumption about the time gap? Or is there something I haven't seen outside the e3 footage?

People are extrapolating from the fact that Fallout 3 had a quest that hinted that the Institute was kinda Bladerunner-y with human-like androids, and the fact that this is a character whose been supposedly frozen for two hundred years and guessing at that as being a twist.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

If they're smart, they'll make a small off hand comment about the core being ruptured or something. If don't, it's going to be a weird recont for power armor.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Can androids get high?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

People are extrapolating from the fact that Fallout 3 had a quest that hinted that the Institute was kinda Bladerunner-y with human-like androids, and the fact that this is a character whose been supposedly frozen for two hundred years and guessing at that as being a twist.

Plus, we know what happened to the last guy who was frozen for 200 years. :v:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dobbs

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Plus he isn't actually in the vault when the bombs fell. I've got to imagine that the moment Boston gets nuked nobody inside the vault is going to open that door on the off chance that the next bomb will be close enough to irradiate the vault or damage the door so it can't close.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can androids get high?

Androids dream of electric weed.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I say take the New Orleans idea one step further and have a sequel set in chunks along the Mississippi River between New Orleans and St. Louis. Lots of amphibious combat, TONS of American history and culture crammed into one geographic feature, mutant catfish societies, river boat piloting, floating cities, gambling.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Manket posted:

I say take the New Orleans idea one step further and have a sequel set in chunks along the Mississippi River between New Orleans and St. Louis. Lots of amphibious combat, TONS of American history and culture crammed into one geographic feature, mutant catfish societies, river boat piloting, floating cities, gambling.

This would be really cool. You get a small barge, and use FO4's construction system to build it into a houseboat, add some solar panels and a small deck gun and sail your mobile player home up and down the river to the various locations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

New Orleans would be a really great setting for a Fallout game. If Bethesda is ever going to do an Elder Scrolls in Black Marsh, they should release the two together, so they can work on stuff like water combat in both series, fine-tuning it so that it's better in whichever game comes second.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Nevets posted:

This would be really cool. You get a small barge, and use FO4's construction system to build it into a houseboat, add some solar panels and a small deck gun and sail your mobile player home up and down the river to the various locations.

Fallout:Black Flag

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Spun Dog posted:

It just keeps getting better. Picturing a Mad Max, scrap metal diving bell.

Of course, the game won't be complete if you can't ally and buddy with the Cajuns by comprehending Acadian and Creole french. Not enough of those folks in media and I'd love to hear them find someone that can speak the old way. I won't even care if you have some of them become part gator, just let that local flavor be represented right.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

Right, I bet literally everybody itt enjoyed FO3 back in the day, and only greww sour in retrospect, after NV evolved the FO3 platform.

Which brings up the point that no matter how inferior you think the FO3 was to the NV, there would be no New Vegas, and probably no Obsidian, without Bethesda's legwork. Bethesda was like the French at the Panama Canal - underappreciated and ridiculed by posterity, but absolutely essential to making the greatness of the Canal / game possible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Back Hack posted:

If they're smart, they'll make a small off hand comment about the core being ruptured or something. If don't, it's going to be a weird recont for power armor.

Only the T-51b and Advanced Power Armor have micro fusion cores, the T-45d was supposed to be powered by small energy cells. You don't actually have to feed the thing energy cells in Fallout 3 but there's some line about it in Van Buran and the Fallout Bible. My guess for Fallout 4 is that early models of power armor will have fuel requirements, and more advanced models you get later will have the unlimited 10,000 year micro-fusion cells.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can androids get high?

Androids only get high because their CPU tells them to. Otherwise you could tell who was an android by getting them high and seeing that it had no effect. There's a deleted scene from Blade Runner where the replicant hunters make people smoke future-weed to see if they get high; the first generations of replicants don't exhibit any "high" symptoms. Even Deckard smokes weed and is like, "this poo poo is weak, I don't even feel it."

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

That would be a cool way of slowly introducing the player to PA, you can only use it for a few minutes before you power runs out in the early game, but after a late game quest you can operate it indefinitely.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FO3 was a good game. The only thing that sucked about it was the writing. It was very low quality and lacked the dark and cynical humor from the first two games. But I realize Black Isle was very special in that regard. (Baldur's Gate series also had amazing writing for its time.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Androids only get high because their CPU tells them to. Otherwise you could tell who was an android by getting them high and seeing that it had no effect. There's a deleted scene from Blade Runner where the replicant hunters make people smoke future-weed to see if they get high; the first generations of replicants don't exhibit any "high" symptoms. Even Deckard smokes weed and is like, "this poo poo is weak, I don't even feel it."

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is written by Philip K. Dick, so you more or less have to expect that anyone, human, android, dead person, whatever, is tripping balls on some kind of souped up Future Drug.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bicyclops posted:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is written by Philip K. Dick, so you more or less have to expect that anyone, human, android, dead person, whatever, is tripping balls on some kind of souped up Future Drug.

The thing about Electric Sheep is that the characters experience their existential nightmares through excruciatingly sober minds. They are not allowed the respite of altered consciousness, and no matter what they do, they are confronted with their own system of morality. The protagonist even has a chat with his own god, reflecting upon the greater meaning of his existence, and his previous actions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Philip K. Dick is extremely cool and if there are little references to his work, it might make me crack a smile as I am playing my possibly robot dad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've wanted Fallout: Louisiana for a while now. It'd be the coolest.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

New Orleans would be a really great setting for a Fallout game. If Bethesda is ever going to do an Elder Scrolls in Black Marsh, they should release the two together, so they can work on stuff like water combat in both series, fine-tuning it so that it's better in whichever game comes second.

Toss in wandering groups of feral ghouls who run around with musical instruments playing New Orleans-style jazz with their rusty instruments.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shroud posted:

Toss in wandering groups of feral ghouls who run around with musical instruments playing New Orleans-style jazz with their rusty instruments.

Day One "Rusty Trombone" Loverslab mod

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Hihohe posted:

I will say that Fallout 3 aged a little better and is more accessible, Before fallout 3 I hadnt even play any of the Fallouts, I think i remember fallout 1 and 2 combo packs in those little computer game boxes at the Walmart (god i miss those) and I never remembered the name and made the connection. When i played the game at first i was kinda floored by all you could do. I remember playing it with my friend and busting out laughing when Bloody mess fricken exploded things. The vats bullet time stuff was always cool. The story was enhh and forgettable but i usually ignored it. My freaking jaw dropped when i first used the Fat Man.

There were a lot of things they considered when making this game for a new audience that I think is pretty good game design.

3 is a different game for a different age and to compare them to 1 and 2 is like comparing Rock and Roll to Rap.

No you didn't, you hated it, everybody hates video games because their mom won't let them get Call Of Duty because it's mature.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shroud posted:

A produce wagon ghoul, selling his wares.

I've got bottled water, bottle caps, Brahmin meat with salt.
I've got Fancy Lads Snack cakes, more better than the Vault.
I've got rum and nuka, enough to suit ya, Pork n' beans of every kind
If hungry is what's eatin' you, I'll sell you piece of mind.
Ah, but this ain't what you came to hear me say.
Well I hate to disappoint you, but I got no love today.
I got no love today. I got no love today.
No love today.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yaos posted:

No you didn't, you hated it, everybody hates video games because their mom won't let them get Call Of Duty because it's mature.

Press (F) to disrespect elders.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

catlord posted:

I've wanted Fallout: Louisiana for a while now. It'd be the coolest.

They have lots of experience with natural disasters so I'm sure a wasteland would be a very believable setting.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Back Hack posted:

Plus, we know what happened to the last guy who was frozen for 200 years. :v:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dobbs

To be fair, as bad as people think it is, they also introduced cryogenic freezing in Mothership Zeta that worked better. And the article specifically mentions bio med gel possibly having something to do with it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Interestingly for me, going back to Fallout 3 after playing New Vegas for so long made me recognise NW's flaws and see F3's strengths.

• Locked thread