Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Sokani posted:

Yeah, I always try to start up there. A lot of people don't realize that the wards you need to defend are invulnerable until the objective changes to "Defend the Wizard's Wards" or whatever. And even then, only one ward needs to survive, there's no penalty to having the others die.

Having a ranged weapon out during a rogre fight is silly though. Do any of the ranged weapons out-damage melee?
I thought it was 'the more wards alive, the faster the finale goes', where if they were all alive it'd be over in 2 or 3 waves and if even one went down you're guaranteed at least another wave. That was the theory we had when it first came out at least.

Brace of pistols and beam staff both outdamage melee on Roger and are great strength pot candidates even if you don't have a bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I need to find more time for this game. :(

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sometimes I want to bang out a quick map before work but don't want to play pubbie roulette. But solo games with bots are unrewarding. Until I started using Drakefire pistols so I can blow myself up like a Bright Wizard. Now I can force my bots to spend their health on me, freeing up an inventory slot so I can guarantee they'll pick up tomes.

It's still not that rewarding to finish on normal or easy, but at least now I can do it with 3 tomes and a grim.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Metos posted:

I thought it was 'the more wards alive, the faster the finale goes', where if they were all alive it'd be over in 2 or 3 waves and if even one went down you're guaranteed at least another wave. That was the theory we had when it first came out at least.

Brace of pistols and beam staff both outdamage melee on Roger and are great strength pot candidates even if you don't have a bomb.

It is faster, but only by a few waves, and it is FAR easier to have all 4 people defend 1 place than to spread out. If you are trying to speed-run easy/normal, sure, but any appreciable difficulty level you are going to benefit far more from not getting killed / wasting health trying to shave off a few seconds.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
this game won't give me Drakefire pistols :mad:

it did give me a rapier which replenishes secondary ammo sometimes though so I can leave a LOT of pistols scattered on the floor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

It is faster, but only by a few waves, and it is FAR easier to have all 4 people defend 1 place than to spread out. If you are trying to speed-run easy/normal, sure, but any appreciable difficulty level you are going to benefit far more from not getting killed / wasting health trying to shave off a few seconds.

The real value of low effort clearing the other objectives is that it splits waves, but remember they're only there to save you hp and don't take risks or burn many resources.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Sokani posted:

Having a ranged weapon out during a rogre fight is silly though. Do any of the ranged weapons out-damage melee?

Last page, but yeah, beam staff and brace of pistols are the straight up best Roger weapons. I can solo melt an ogre in less time than it takes to fill my overcharge bar in nightmare if I have a strength pot. Otherwise it's decent chip damage if he's out of melee range. An elf chilling on a ledge and plinking the whole time is useless though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Huge Obamacare Fan posted:

Last page, but yeah, beam staff and brace of pistols are the straight up best Roger weapons. I can solo melt an ogre in less time than it takes to fill my overcharge bar in nightmare if I have a strength pot. Otherwise it's decent chip damage if he's out of melee range. An elf chilling on a ledge and plinking the whole time is useless though.

This can be especially true if it's a rapid fire weapon with Headcracker, because Roger & Stormvermin are really the only ones where Headcracker (%chance to get headshot when hitting anywhere) is useful. Unloading your entire brace with a strength potion & Headcracker gives you a ton of headshot level damage without any effort.

It also helps to quickly switch to ranged and shoot at Roger when he knocks you back and you are closing distance again. Exception would probably be the handguns, as it is usually best to save those for some special showing up during the fight.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

An elf is useless.

:colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

An elf with a hagbane can put out good damage against Roger. I don't think it's as good as the brace of pistols or the beam staff, but it seems ok. The real challenge is finding a high-difficulty elf player who a) brings anything but a trueflight, and b) doesn't teamkill the whole party.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do Hail of Doom or Master Crafted do anything on beam staves

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ahem, fellow priest of Sigmar.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Do Hail of Doom or Master Crafted do anything on beam staves

At a guess, yes. I think the beam actually only hits once a second or so. The heat is definitely based on whether you're actually hitting, since you can spray that thing at a wall for almost forever.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the amount of anti-elf propaganda in this thread is disgusting.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Up Circle posted:

the amount of anti-elf propaganda in this thread is disgusting.

Agreed, people have been slacking lately.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Up Circle posted:

the lack of anti-elf propaganda in this thread is disgusting.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Never thought about using strength potions with ranged weapons because I only ever chug one down before screaming "PAINTRAIN IS NOW LEAVING THE STATION" and going to town with my claymore (while making train noises of course). Also I'm carrying a grimoire 90% of the time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Reaching a point where I can't really have fun anymore because the only challenges left are half the Nightmare jobs and Cataclysm, and to do that poo poo you need someone with an ounce of sense. Randoms don't cut it, the goon group never has anyone in chat, and my friends who got me the game barely plya.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Strength potions are really great for the Bright Wizard, since I'm 95% sure speed potions just make you overheat faster. Also your melee weapons are pretty fast already, so the extra strength is nice there too. But boy howdy ogres drop fast when you use a strength-enhanced beam staff.

As a corollary, if you're playing with a beam staff BW on your team, cover their butts during the ogre and the fight becomes trivial.

I am also pumped about the rumored invulnerability potions coming soon. :getin:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Reaching a point where I can't really have fun anymore because the only challenges left are half the Nightmare jobs and Cataclysm, and to do that poo poo you need someone with an ounce of sense. Randoms don't cut it, the goon group never has anyone in chat, and my friends who got me the game barely plya.

I'm the same name on steam, in the group, and always down for a good nightmare, especially supply & demand, wheat & chaff and white rat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i want to have this happen in vermintide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNd5sOZSkH4

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

i want to have this happen in vermintide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNd5sOZSkH4

Where the hell is this from.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
snow white

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxIZJpATix8

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Yesterday I finally managed to beat White Rat on cataclysm, with a pubbie group that managed to work together really well. Some of the most fun I've had in the game. Also played with a British dude who insisted on talking like Saltzpyre, which was good. Still need to do Garden of Morr, Smuggler's Run, and Supply and Demand on cataclysm.

Again, would not mind playing with some of you. I'm Chillbro Swaggins in the chatroom.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Just had a game where 10 packmasters spawned 3-5 minutes between each other. It was quickly becoming a running gag.

Then two of them spawned at the final spot in Engines of War and took two people. After they died another one immediately spawned. There were no Globadiers at all, and a bunch of gutters around the place. Weirdest round of special spawns I've ever fuckin' seen.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Lunethex posted:

Just had a game where 10 packmasters spawned 3-5 minutes between each other. It was quickly becoming a running gag.

Then two of them spawned at the final spot in Engines of War and took two people. After they died another one immediately spawned. There were no Globadiers at all, and a bunch of gutters around the place. Weirdest round of special spawns I've ever fuckin' seen.

Sometimes Engines of war just doesn't like you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05e7YM7LEdM

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

AndroidHub posted:

Sometimes Engines of war just doesn't like you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05e7YM7LEdM

Amazing, although I think the lack of Megalovania was a missed opportunity

"Always wondered why people don't use their strongest attack first."

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Could someone give me some basic newbie tips for this? I manage to struggle along in goon games but I feel basically useless.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Could someone give me some basic newbie tips for this? I manage to struggle along in goon games but I feel basically useless.

Avoiding damage is always more important than giving it. It's almost never worth it to get hit to kill a rat because there are infinite rats and finite health. Blocking protects 360 degrees around you, so whenever you feel like you're flagging or don't feel like you staggered all the rats you're attacking, block for a second. If you get hit from behind, it can be a good idea to put up block, spin, then push to knock back whatever hit you and give yourself breathing room. If you see rats behind an ally, warn them, it might give them time to act. When fighting Stormvermin, remember that while they do 3 shields of block break, as long as you had ANY block stamina in the tank you'll still stop their attack and give you time to counter.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Night10194 posted:

If you get hit from behind, it can be a good idea to put up block, spin, then push to knock back whatever hit you and give yourself breathing room.

I'm pretty sure pushes are 360° as well, so you don't need to turn around.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like to so I can stab him anyway. Also, introducing a friend to this game, her very first loot roll on Hard is blue Drakefires with Stability and Targeteer. That's some pretty awesome luck.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got an exotic trueflight longbow.

.... Is it "true flight" in that the arrows act like airplanes and avoid collisions with things so they can safely land at an airport later, because I can't hit a loving thing with this

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
You need to charge up the shots, it will highlight enemies and home in on them, also spiral around specials until they die or it runs out of juice. It's good even if it gets kind of boring after a while.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got an elf hat only it's exactly the same but with some white painted spirals on it. So I guess the next time I need a handful of orange rocks I know where to go.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
So I know the opinion varies on red items but my first instance was the elf swords which were a) considerably worse than my random orange equivalent and b) required orange nuggets to unlock the traits. Other than the time needed to take a look at the item model it went straight into the trash. I understand they didn't want to reduce the game to red-or-don't-bother item grinding but drat they need to rebalance just how bad some of them truly are.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The red Drakefires have been nice to me.

Regrowth, split shots, and slower overheating.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 11, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Most of the reds are pretty good, but far from ideal oranges. There are a few that really roll your eyes though. I am not sure which one you're referring to; the sword and dagger option for the elf is the only one I have in my head right now, and that's because it is ideal for the bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
It was mentioned earlier that soloing easy and normal mode was not very rewarding, i just wanted to say that the bots are better than 90% of players when i crank out hardmode missions. That is not hyperbole or exaggeration, the bots are much better teamates to have than 9/10 pubbies

Edit - they just dont do jumping, if you try any shortcuts that require "platforming" the bots cant do that. Otherwise thy are 10x better than most players

Shuka fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread