Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Strikes suspended, they're going to keep going with negotiations.

https://twitter.com/TheBMA/status/671407627721695232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

For fucks' sake

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Isn't that a good thing ?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

Isn't that a good thing ?

Well if the strikes don't happen over Christmas then there's no chance of the doctors being blamed for the terrible winter performance and if the government backs down on pretty much all of its points then yeah.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I booked the day off work to go support the picket line in Oxford. Now I don't really have an excuse not to go in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

namesake posted:

Well if the strikes don't happen over Christmas then there's no chance of the doctors being blamed for the terrible winter performance and if the government backs down on pretty much all of its points then yeah.

Yeah, if this actually leads to a real negotiation on the part of Hunt, it's brilliant.

But it won't, and in backing down they lose momentum and support for when they DO end up striking.

I'm still expecting the strikes to go ahead next week. I mean, seriously I'm really not remotely optimistic that this is anything other than a calculated move to gently caress with the BMA's momentum.

On another note, a key thing to be aware of from the Labour webinar is yourbritain.org.uk which is a policymaking engine for Labour, and of which I was TOTALLY oblivious until this evening. Still not clear how it works, but I at least now know it loving exists.

E: just spoke to my sister the junior doctor and she basically concurs that this is a big misstep by the BMA, and a sadly excellent play by Hunt. He gets to be hailed as the conciliator whilst not actually conciliating at all (the threat of imposition of the contract has only been deferred) whilst the BMA will be faced in a month with the prospect of striking right in the middle of the biggest crisis winter the NHS has yet faced, and at a point where the risk to patient care will be a lot higher, and members therefore a lot less likely to strike.

Personally, I don't think deferring the threat of contract imposition is anywhere NEAR enough to call off the strike, and I think members would be entirely justified in wildcat strike action at this stage, but it would be a difficult sell to doctors I think.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 30, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Filboid Studge posted:

What was the source of this? Brilliant stuff.

An unsigned letter, so no idea. The envelope has a S.W. London postmark but some of the other passages make me think the author was Irish.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

An unsigned letter, so no idea. The envelope has a S.W. London postmark but some of the other passages make me think the author was Irish.

Green ink? Guinness stains?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
That's racist.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The BMA have hosed it up here, they wont be able to strike in a few weeks after Hunt drags his feet as there will be thousands of dying old ladies in the wards.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

XMNN posted:

That's racist.

It's ok i'm part Irish.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Green ink? Guinness stains?

Signed with a drawing of a clover

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The BMA have hosed it up here, they wont be able to strike in a few weeks after Hunt drags his feet as there will be thousands of dying old ladies in the wards.

I'm desperately hoping they get back to the table in the next day or two, realise Hunt is loving with them, and continue with the planned full strike action.

But it won't happen. Holy poo poo this is the loving :smith:est thing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

serious gaylord posted:

Well hopefully they can make the point that they put everything they could into providing the best service this winter but the government has historically failed to provide them with enough resources to do their job and is still attempting to make things worse with an unsafe and unfair contract, so Jeremy Hunt should be executed and the bourgeois capitalist state system should be smashed.

Edit: poo poo I forgot about our new laws; is saying that illegal?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

"This winter has shown how urgently the NHS needs these reforms"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

On another note, anyone doing the policymaking webinar that's about to start? I don't want to open with 'do you have stairs in your house'.
I was in the earlier one; definitely seemed more useful than the "I'm a new member, now what" session from before. I'm really not a fan of the lanky software they're using for these sessions, though I'm not sure of what I'd recommend they use instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Well hopefully they can make the point that they put everything they could into providing the best service this winter but the government has historically failed to provide them with enough resources to do their job and is still attempting to make things worse with an unsafe and unfair contract, so Jeremy Hunt should be executed and the bourgeois capitalist state system should be smashed.

Edit: poo poo I forgot about our new laws; is saying that illegal?
I think calling for the execution of a sitting member of parliament has been illegal for a few centuries.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I think calling for the execution of a sitting member of parliament has been illegal for a few centuries.

It's loving human rights gone mad Stu.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure CALLING for it is illegal. Enacting it would be. Unless Hunt chose to do it himself.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Cameron's calling for the Syria vote on Wednesday. Must have run the numbers and figured he can win it :smith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Cameron's calling for the Syria vote on Wednesday. Must have run the numbers and figured he can win it :smith:

Well this day just keeps getting better. Time to send that letter to my MP.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

So then I suppose the next question (as you're probably right about it passing) is what will Corbyn do to the Labour MPs voting for war?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Comes out on the same day as this
http://www.thenational.scot/news/nato-general-sir-richard-shirreff-warns-air-strikes-on-syria-are-useless.10604

A bloody and protracted war in the middle east? Oh boy. Can't wait.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

namesake posted:

So then I suppose the next question (as you're probably right about it passing) is what will Corbyn do to the Labour MPs voting for war?

Nothing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Congratulations on not reading the graph. The Tory decline is caused by two spikes in voting intent, first a small one for the SNP and then a bigger one for UKIP. The first isn't going to increase except at the expense of Labour, and the second we really do not want at all.

I did the read the graph, and noticed the UKIP spike, I'm just not bothered by it. Thanks for being impotently angry for the wrong reason as usual.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

namesake posted:

Nothing. That's for the CLPs :unsmigghh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm not sure CALLING for it is illegal. Enacting it would be. Unless Hunt chose to do it himself.
I figure that it would fall under seditious libel historically or whatever parts of the terrorism act replaced that. Unless you're formally accusing him of committing a capital crime. And there's been no such thing as a capital crime since Tony Blair abolished it for war crimes in 1998 in a rare example of thinking ahead.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I figure that it would fall under seditious libel historically or whatever parts of the terrorism act replaced that. Unless you're formally accusing him of committing a capital crime. And there's been no such thing as a capital crime since Tony Blair abolished it for war crimes in 1998 in a rare example of thinking ahead.

And yet it was totes legal for Cameron to both call for AND enact the execution of Mohammed Emwazi and other British citizens.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

namesake posted:

They've been told they're free to decide for themselves whether to support bombing or not, so there's no reason to take action against those who vote in favour any more than those who vote against.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to speak against bombing in the Commons and Hilary Benn, the Shadow Foreign Secretary, will speak in favour. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a6755151.html

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Paxman posted:

They've been told they're free to decide for themselves whether to support bombing or not, so there's no reason to take action against those who vote in favour any more than those who vote against.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to speak against bombing in the Commons and Hilary Benn, the Shadow Foreign Secretary, will speak in favour. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a6755151.html

Aiya yet again the Tories don't even need to bother writing the headlines. gently caress's sake PLP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

And yet it was totes legal for Cameron to both call for AND enact the execution of Mohammed Emwazi and other British citizens.
That was reasonable force used in self defense. I hope to use the same argument in court if I ever need to bomb the gas man with radio control planes because he went on holiday somewhere foreign.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Paxman posted:

how the gently caress is the son of Tony Benn calling for bombing a foreign country. He'll be turning in his grave.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

how the gently caress is the son of Tony Benn calling for bombing a foreign country. He'll be turning in his grave.

Ronald Reagan's son, Ronald Reagan Jr., is a left-wing liberal who throws his whole-hearted support behind Bernie Sanders for the US president.

Sometimes apples fall far from the tree.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

The British press "systematically undermined" Jeremy Corbyn with an onslaught of negative media coverage in his first week as Labour leader, new research has claimed.

The Media Reform Coalition analysed nearly 500 pieces across eight national newspapers, including The Sun, The Times, Guardian and Daily Mail, and found 60% of their articles were 'negative', meaning they were openly hostile or expressed animosity or ridicule.

Out of the 494 articles across the papers during Corbyn's first seven days at leader, 60% (296 articles) were negative, with only 13% positive stories (65 articles) and 27% taking a "neutral" stance (133 articles), the report says.

The research, given exclusively to The Huffington Post UK, looked at news, comment and editorial leaders - and claims that "the press set out to systematically undermine Jeremy Corbyn during his first week as Labour Leader with a barrage of overwhelmingly negative coverage".

It was released by the Media Reform Coalition, a group of academics, media campaigners and civil society groups which claims not to be linked to any political party.

In the days after he was selected, Corbyn was criticised for his controversial shadow cabinet appointments, policies that were at odds with the views of many of the party's leading figures, his decision not to sing the national anthem and his poor relationship with the media after pulling out of an interview on the Andrew Marr show.

The Sun, its sister paper The Sun on Sunday, and The Daily Mail published the highest ratio of 'negative' stories about the new leader, according to the report, with 91% of each newspaper's coverage considered critical.

The Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph follow with 83% of its coverage deemed negative, while 71% of stories published about Corbyn in The Times and Sunday Times were 'negative'.

By contrast, just 11% of articles in the Guardian newspaper were 'negative'.

News articles, in which the media ostensibly do not editorialise, were actually the most critical of Corbyn, the report says.

Out of 292 news pieces, 181 were judged negative, while 92 were 'neutral' and just 19 'positive', the report found.

"One might expect news items, as opposed to comment and editorial pieces, to take a more balanced approach but in fact the opposite is true. A mere 6% of stories classed as news (19 out of 292) were positive, versus 61% negative stories and 32% taking a neutral stance."

"This ‘default’ position is particularly significant given how these stories make up the bulk of the coverage during Corbyn’s first week".

The report also looked at editorial leaders, representing the paper's opinion, as well as comment pieces, and found them to be less 'negative' but still more negative than positive:

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/26/jeremy-corbyn-media-coverage_n_8653886.html?utm_hp_ref=jeremy-corbyn

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

Aiya yet again the Tories don't even need to bother writing the headlines. gently caress's sake PLP.

Honestly, I think Corbyn shat it. If he's not going to actually stand up to his cabinet & demand a whipped vote on something like this then when will he do it? Pissflaps is right that this lurching from one crisis to another simply cannot go on, for all his good intentions. For all he wants to redefine leadership, the more ground he gives up to the people who have been against him from day 0, the quicker the knives are going to come out. You can't redefine leadership if you're only in the job for 6 months. The longer he postpones the inevitable tussle with the right wing of the party the less chance he has of surviving it when it comes, a decision like today will hurt his support among members even if it is consistent with his views on leadership. Never mind how it looks to the rest of the electorate.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly, I think Corbyn shat it. If he's not going to actually stand up to his cabinet & demand a whipped vote on something like this then when will he do it? Pissflaps is right that this lurching from one crisis to another simply cannot go on, for all his good intentions. For all he wants to redefine leadership, the more ground he gives up to the people who have been against him from day 0, the quicker the knives are going to come out. You can't redefine leadership if you're only in the job for 6 months. The longer he postpones the inevitable tussle with the right wing of the party the less chance he has of surviving it when it comes, a decision like today will hurt his support among members even if it is consistent with his views on leadership. Never mind how it looks to the rest of the electorate.

TBF, some of the blame for this has to lie on the shadow cabinet. They've seen the same polling Corbyn has, they HAVE to know that the majority of the membership is squarely against this.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
They must be reading a different Guardian to me, cos there where a Lot more than 11% Negative articles on Corbyn when he was elected

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

While Labour MPs are relieved to be given a free vote, some are worried that if they defy the leadership they will be targeted for de-selection by Labour activists

We can but hope.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Fans posted:

We can but hope.

If they can't then the left should finally, finally stop trying to relate to the Labour Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Camerons's stuck two fingers up at Corbyn and scheduled a one-day debate on bombing Syria.

• Locked thread