Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tunga posted:

This is not Windows. Uninstalling and reinstalling updates isn't going to leave you in a different place if you're clearing data anyway.

But it does reinitialize states which may not have been changed with the cache clearing. And it feels cleansing and rejuvenating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Tunga posted:

This is not Windows. Uninstalling and reinstalling updates isn't going to leave you in a different place if you're clearing data anyway.

It seemed to fix my gmaps crashes yesterday when just clearing cache and data didn't :shrug:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

But it does reinitialize states which may not have been changed with the cache clearing. And it feels cleansing and rejuvenating.
What does "reinitialize states" means?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tunga posted:

What does "reinitialize states" means?

Shovel Florida into the sea and build a new one from scratch. Or: Some kind of component of the app that can change with use, but is not included as cache or user data. Since you can't uninstall Maps, you can at least uninstall updates. Un/reinstall has fixed a bunch of broken apps for me, which cache clearing or rebooting did not, so it's kind of like Windows, or most computers, in some areas.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

l Some kind of component of the app that can change with use, but is not included as cache or user data

...like what?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

...like what?

A saved UI state for instance, with some broken variables. I have only dabbled a little bit in Android development, so I don't what else it could be, but I know that this has worked several times before.

e: Logins also persist in Maps, in that you are logged in as the OS-level account, you don't log in again after clearing data.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 19, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ola posted:

Since you can't uninstall Maps, you can at least uninstall updates.

you should have the option to disable the apps that are baked into the OS install. i have disabled a bunch of apps and it works just like uninstalling. the only difference is that the files of the app's base version are still on your device, so you don't free up as much space as with uninstalling

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

A saved UI state for instance, with some broken variables. I have only dabbled a little bit in Android development, so I don't what else it could be, but I know that this has worked several times before.

e: Logins also persist in Maps, in that you are logged in as the OS-level account, you don't log in again after clearing data.

Those are cleared by "clear data", you have to tap that instead of just "clear cache".

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ola posted:

Any saved state is always cleared with cache. Anything that the app saves in the proper app directories will be removed when clearing data. If it saves stuff outside of those places it needs a permission from the user. Additionally, if any data is outside those directories, removing the app won't clear it any more than clearing data will.

Clearing cache and user data is the same as uninstalling and reinstalling, because that's literally what the uninstall process does.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I may very well be wrong about all the things I've suggested, apart from the observation that it has solved a problem which data clearing did not. Clearly something was supposed to work, but didn't, as can happen with computers. If cache clearing doesn't help, uninstalling the app or the updates and reinstalling/updating takes a literal minute and is worth a hail Mary shot before you abandon something useful.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I may very well be wrong about all the things I've suggested, apart from the observation that it has solved a problem which data clearing did not. Clearly something was supposed to work, but didn't, as can happen with computers. If cache clearing doesn't help, uninstalling the app or the updates and reinstalling/updating takes a literal minute and is worth a hail Mary shot before you abandon something useful.
Clearing cache and clearing data are not the same thing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

Surprisingly enough, it worked pretty drat well in solving my issues to a noticeable degree. Could be confirmation bias for all I know, but I've been using Maps a decent amount since doing the suggestion Ola posted and it's cut down on the terrible lag/performance I was getting.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tunga posted:

Clearing cache and clearing data are not the same thing.

I meant data, I really meant "cache, data, rebooting and asking on the internet".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Surprisingly enough, it worked pretty drat well in solving my issues to a noticeable degree. Could be confirmation bias for all I know, but I've been using Maps a decent amount since doing the suggestion Ola posted and it's cut down on the terrible lag/performance I was getting.
Compared to just clearing data?

I know this conversation seems a bit petty but I'm genuinely trying to work out what this uninstalling updates thing could do to make a difference. As an Android dev and knowing how that system works I can't figure it out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tunga posted:

Compared to just clearing data?

I know this conversation seems a bit petty but I'm genuinely trying to work out what this uninstalling updates thing could do to make a difference. As an Android dev and knowing how that system works I can't figure it out.

I'd like to find out more as well, as I hope to do some Android dev in the near future. Another thing I can think of is that an included framework may contain various components which gets used differently depending on which device it's installed to. Then the device specific build can go wonky between app or OS updates, or changes the user makes in permission settings, or perhaps something else. Reinstalling, or updating from the oldest to the newest, may un-wonk the build.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

I don't know either, all I know is I did what the dude said and I went from an honest 1-3 minute pause between pressing the Directions button and it actually starting the turn-by-turn directions to maybe five seconds. Not just one time, but for the last few days, consistently.

I wish I had asked sooner, I've been dealing with Maps being inexplicably laggy for a long time now. It was the only app doing it, on an S8 that otherwise runs things as smooth as butter.

:iiam:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Two questions:

1) Anyone have a weather app they like? The OP lists Weather Timeline which looks like a decent option, but some of the other recommendations in the OP seem outdated so I wanted to check. Currently using Weather Underground but it takes like 10 seconds in tyool 2018 to update its info, and it's generally buggy (right now it's showing me the hourly forecast for two days ago). There's a million weather apps on the Play store and I haven't figured out how to interpret review scores, etc. I downloaded Weather Underground because it was an "editors pick" but it's poo poo and I don't know who the editor is or how they picked it.

Requirements:
- No ads. I'm fine paying for a good app.
- Daily and hourly forecast.
- Quick to get new weather data.
- Radar map required. Bonus if it gives other layers like cloud cover, but I don't need anything super fancy.
- Not required, but I'd prefer to not support The Weather Channel. I used to use Intellicast on iOS but at some point they were bought by TWC.

2) Related question: the weather "gadget?" on my home screen is still driven by the Weather Channel app. It's fine, but is it expected that a good weather app can drive that widget instead? This is on an S9 so I don't know if this is an Android question or a Samsung question, but I'm betting the latter.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Personally, I use the built in Google weather for forecasts and Raindar (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghvandoorn.Raindar) for radar.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Erwin posted:

2) Related question: the weather "gadget?" on my home screen is still driven by the Weather Channel app. It's fine, but is it expected that a good weather app can drive that widget instead? This is on an S9 so I don't know if this is an Android question or a Samsung question, but I'm betting the latter.

Each app provides its own widgets, so that widget won't receive data from another app. What you can do is go to the settings for it and see if it offers different providers, as some weather apps provide this functionality.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Dark Skies is the most consistently accurate weather app I've ever used.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Awesome, I used this way back when it first came out for novelty factor but it wasn't mature at the time. Looks good now though, and even though I don't like the idea of subscriptions, I suppose I can swing $3/year.

Also turns out I entirely misunderstood how widgets worked and assume the "weather" widget was a common thing that's always on the home screen and is driven by different apps. I didn't understand that each app has its own widgets - and now I'm going to spend the rest of the day customizing my home screen.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Montalvo posted:

It's worth noting that Weather Timeline uses Dark Skies data for it's weather source. You also have the option of switching to Weather Underground (and a few others I don't recognize).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

incogneato posted:

It's worth noting that Weather Timeline uses Dark Skies data for it's weather source. You also have the option of switching to Weather Underground (and a few others I don't recognize).

Yeah I was going to post this.

Anyway, I just recently went through and tried out a bunch of weather apps and I ended up coming back to Weather Timeline because it works well, looks good, has good widgets, and I like its persistent notification.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Another vote for Weather Timeline. It works great, has Wear support, and uses the Dark Skies API which is something I need (I leave the top down in the car too often when I'm out).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Any MP3 players for android out there that remember where I am in a playlist. Specifically where I am in the file and not just last file played.
I listen to a lot of audiobooks and having to remember that I was at 1h 36m after a 2 day gap is a pain. Preferably with the ability to play .m4b files but not absolutely necessary.
I despise apple for most things but I miss my ipod classic. drat good piece of equipment.

e:For the apps I have tried, they only seem to remember where I am until the app is closed.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 21, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

OgNar posted:

Any MP3 players for android out there that remember where I am in a playlist. Specifically where I am in the file and not just last file played.
I listen to a lot of audiobooks and having to remember that I was at 1h 36m after a 2 day gap is a pain. Preferably with the ability to play .m4b files but not absolutely necessary.
I despise apple for most things but I miss my ipod classic. drat good piece of equipment.

e:For the apps I have tried, they only seem to remember where I am until the app is closed.

I think this one does the trick, MortPlayer Audio Books:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.audiobookplayer

Haven't tried it in years though.

e: I use this one for music, Rocket Music player. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer&hl=en It does remember where I was, but the seek function is quite imprecise, which is really annoying with long files.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2018

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ola posted:

I think this one does the trick, MortPlayer Audio Books:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.audiobookplayer

Haven't tried it in years though.

e: I use this one for music, Rocket Music player. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer&hl=en It does remember where I was, but the seek function is quite imprecise, which is really annoying with long files.

From the reviews on Mort it sounds exactly like what I needed, thanks.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Just to be extra sure, if I use Authenticator+, have automatic sync on and want to do a factory reset on my phone, I just need my key; the db itself will be downloaded again from the cloud after I reinstall it, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

Just to be extra sure, if I use Authenticator+, have automatic sync on and want to do a factory reset on my phone, I just need my key; the db itself will be downloaded again from the cloud after I reinstall it, right?

Grab the database file now for manual placement on the new device now, trust me.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Grab the database file now for manual placement on the new device now, trust me.

I did that as well just to be safe. Just wanted to check if I need something else before I screwed myself up because I'm dumb. Thanks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

I factory reset and/or switch phones way too often, and the auto cloud backup/restore of Authenticator+ has always worked flawlessly for me. Haven't touched it or done anything manually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I very rarely switch phones or factory reset my phone but not once has the automatic sync worked correctly for me. It's always missing stuff...which doesn't make any sense, but there you go.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

drat, really? The only issue I've ever had is when I used to wipe/restore to my Note 8, Authenticator+ would often crash after I select restore. I'd relaunch the app and all my codes would be there normally. Zero issues anymore and I've wiped as recently as last week when I got rid of the P beta.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I very rarely switch phones or factory reset my phone but not once has the automatic sync worked correctly for me. It's always missing stuff...which doesn't make any sense, but there you go.

Exactly my experience. I've needed it twice, it failed both times.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking into package tracking apps and tried Deliveries. It seems decent but one thing I'm missing is that doesn't seem to automatically check to see if the status of my packages has changed, which also leads to me never getting a notification. Is this a premium feature or does the app just not do that? I wanna say I got a popup about some battery permission at the beginning but I taped that away accidentally before I could read it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Try Aftership

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking into package tracking apps and tried Deliveries. It seems decent but one thing I'm missing is that doesn't seem to automatically check to see if the status of my packages has changed, which also leads to me never getting a notification. Is this a premium feature or does the app just not do that? I wanna say I got a popup about some battery permission at the beginning but I taped that away accidentally before I could read it.

I use it and I get notified when a package is delivered. Off the top of my head I don't remember what other notifications I get, though I vaguely remember that there are some.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CLAM DOWN posted:

Try Aftership

This is a good suggestion, 17track is another good option.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Google Opinion Rewards now allows you to delete and recreate your account.

It seems you keep any credit you've earned. There's currently no info if this will start giving surveys to people who stopped getting them because :google:, but it's worth a shot, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Google Opinion Rewards now allows you to delete and recreate your account.

It seems you keep any credit you've earned. There's currently no info if this will start giving surveys to people who stopped getting them because :google:, but it's worth a shot, right?

I'm not messing with a good thing

https://i.imgur.com/BQrWWLi.png