Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

steinrokkan posted:

However, once he retired in 2002, he changed and became a sort of ghost fueled entirely by Becherovka.
Fixed a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Thanks for that! Is there any clear reason why the Czech system is so fragile?

We have a proportional system which means no party usually gets much more than 30% of representatives. So when you take into account that there's also a large number of Communists, over 10%, who are basically dead weight, and that there is usually an opposition party that also has something like 30% representatives, there isn't much of a maneuvering space for the election winners to form a stable government. Let us see the 2002 election for an illustration:

SOCDEM gained 70 MPs
Their mortal enemies, the ODS, gained 58
The Communists had 41, and because nobody was remotely willing to work with them, those 48 votes were worthless for forming a majority coalition.
All the other parties got 31 MPs.

Together, that's 200 MPs. The ODS can't form a government, because 58 + 31 = 89, less than 50%, and they can't join up with the Communists.
The Social Democrats can join with all the minor parties, and get 101 MPs, resulting in a grand majority of 50.5%. They also can't buddy up with the Communists.

So there's exactly one combination of parties that gives you a ruling majority, and it's a combination that is ideologically inconsistent, and very, very, very slim. In fact, during the 2002-2006 period two MPs defected from the SocDem, which was enough to turn the majority government into a gimped minority government that was only able to get things done by buttering up their own enemies.

And this situation repeats itself every time.

Every time people poo poo the first past the post system, I have to ask myself, is it really worse than this bullshit?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 15, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dwesa posted:

Fixed a typo.

Don't forget tree hugging.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Ill try to add something of value after that effort post.

The elections yesterday+today were actually 2nd round of Senate election -- if any candidate didn't get >50% of votes in the 1st round, the two most popular candidates continue to the 2nd round -- with pretty bad turnout, at ~15%. The 1st round was last Friday+Saturday and was combined with local elections, which were considered won by ANO (gently caress those guys), which is a relatively new party. However, because the local elections use proportional system, it seems* that some places ended up with coalition of "gently caress ANO", so they ended up with less influence than they should have purely based on numbers and being the strongest party in 9 out of 13 regions. Also there seems to be refusal of the far right parties on the local level, as the various anti-islam / anti-immigrants parties got a big fat 0, with <1% of votes.

Also I want to note that to me personally its amazing that Communist Party (KSČM - Komunistická Strana Čech a Moravy) has any voters at all, seeing how they refuse to distance themselves (or openly want return to) the former non-democratic regime, with people getting hosed for wrongthink, or having relatives in western countries.

* I should check how it ended up soon, so far I only really bothered with my own region

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Every time people poo poo the first past the post system, I have to ask myself, is it really worse than this bullshit?

Ehhh, it probably is, but not by much. FPTP voting means that at no point you have to listen to opposition, just to your plurality of votes, and also that you have to appease the more crazy parts of your plurality -- this is how the Tea Party in the US got to gently caress around with Republicans, and if Republicans somehow win at some point, they will have insane power over acceptable policy, compared to how many of them are there.

On the other hand, our voting system means you always have to listen to other people (and get hosed by them, as they discover that they also have disproportionate power over you :v:).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'd say that having a government is generally better than having no government, especially in the majority of countries where the opposition party differs mainly on fiscal policy, and not at all on social issues. And in many cases the emergence of radical right wing parties is the result of mainstream parties being crippled by coalition governance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Like in France

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Xarn posted:

Also I want to note that to me personally its amazing that Communist Party (KSČM - Komunistická Strana Čech a Moravy) has any voters at all, seeing how they refuse to distance themselves (or openly want return to) the former non-democratic regime, with people getting hosed for wrongthink, or having relatives in western countries.
Their average voter is old and probably lost his/her social position after the revolution. Add also some rosy retrospection and preference for social security over personal freedoms.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I'd say that having a government is generally better than having no government, especially in the majority of countries where the opposition party differs mainly on fiscal policy, and not at all on social issues. And in many cases the emergence of radical right wing parties is the result of mainstream parties being crippled by coalition governance.

In FPTP the radical right wing elements just take over the mainstream parties like in the US, or to a lesser degree the UK

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

In FPTP the radical right wing elements just take over the mainstream parties like in the US, or to a lesser degree the UK

Only in the case of a catastrophic failure of the political mainstream, which isnt just something that naturally happens.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would also very much prefer not having a govenment/the government being ineffectual over having far right or neoliberal government with a majority power.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are saying you'd literally rather have the most fertile breeding ground for fascism than a government that's slightly right of center, but respectful of being able to lose in the next election.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

steinrokkan posted:

Only in the case of a catastrophic failure of the political mainstream, which isnt just something that naturally happens.

give me a government that isn't a catastrophic failure.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kurtofan posted:

the five good roman emperors?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

You are saying you'd literally rather have the most fertile breeding ground for fascism than a government that's slightly right of center, but respectful of being able to lose in the next election.

European countries are managing to breed fascism just fine even with governments that are effective.

I would argue that the rise of fascism is a result catastrophic failure of the political mainstream in a proportional system also, just like in FPTP.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

blowfish posted:

the five good roman emperors?
Yeah if you want to reach that level, i guess the current politicians should start poisoning themselves and their whole family more often. Not enough deaths i guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

If all governments are catastrophic failures, then maybe the fascists have a point.

People like to hate on their elected officials, but you can't deny that lots of them do decent job, and that when push comes to shove, popular opinion reflects that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Belgium basicly didn't have a government for months and they aren't reaching trump level of "i like Mussolini's nonsense" yet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

European countries are managing to breed fascism just fine even with governments that are effective.

I would argue that the rise of fascism is a result catastrophic failure of the political mainstream in a proportional system also, just like in FPTP.

My point has been that FPTP or the French mixed system give the government more of a chance to show off their better side, and even if a particular government fails, the aggregate result over long term is more likely to be positive than with strictly proportional systems.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

steinrokkan posted:

What? The UK has basically developed in the same fashion politically as its continental neighbors, despite their political system being based on FPTP while the rest of Europe runs more proportional systems. (All the way to The Netherlands having 17 whole parties represented between the upper and lower house.)

steinrokkan posted:

Meanwhile, the UK has managed to vote itself out of the EU out of a desire to return the country to a past where the country wasn't being filled up with a bunch of dirty Slavs and Muslims, with supporters of this having begun a wave of attacks and harassment after their great victory. That was of course after they murdered a pro-EU politician. In the midst of this, the new conservative prime minister has taken to explicitly populist language to gain support, while pushing for even greater surveillance in the UK.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What? The UK has basically developed in the same fashion politically as its continental neighbors, despite their political system being based on FPTP while the rest of Europe runs more proportional systems. (All the way to The Netherlands having 17 whole parties represented between the upper and lower house.)

So there's not really much evidence that political systems really change how people and their governments act.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

My point has been that FPTP or the French mixed system give the government more of a chance to show off their better side, and even if a particular government fails, the aggregate result over long term is more likely to be positive than with strictly proportional systems.

And I think it's the opposite with FPTP system being very polarizing by it's very nature and resulting in extreme opinions gaining ground in mainstream parties over time.

Also I just think it's super lovely that a 30-40% vote percentage can result in a majority in a democracy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just because one system is more stable than another doesn't mean there's a clean binary delimitation of where the far right rules and where it doesn't exist.

Both systems are open to failure, especially when the ruling party fucks up as royally as the Conservatives did when they basically funded the greatest election campaign of the nationalist right in history.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Andrast posted:

And I think it's the opposite with FPTP system being very polarizing by it's very nature and resulting in extreme opinions gaining ground in mainstream parties over time.

FPTP encourages consensus, not polarization. European PR systems have much more polarized parties than the US or UK.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Meanwhile, the UK has managed to vote itself out of the EU out of a desire to return the country to a past where the country wasn't being filled up with a bunch of dirty Slavs and Muslims, with supporters of this having begun a wave of attacks and harassment after their great victory. That was of course after they murdered a pro-EU politician. In the midst of this, the new conservative prime minister has taken to explicitly populist language to gain support, while pushing for even greater surveillance in the UK.

The right wing papers are soooo close to calling for "remoaners" to be jailed. Exciting times.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

FPTP encourages consensus, not polarization. European PR systems have much more polarized parties than the US or UK.

Those polarized parties tend to be really small and have barely any say in how things are run. The actual major parties tend to be much less polarized, especially if they often have to govern with each other.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

Also I just think it's super lovely that a 30-40% vote percentage can result in a majority in a democracy.

Parties will meet where the pivotal middle voter lies. In a normal country not worked up into hysterics that would be in the traditional political centre, and moving away from that is a losing proposition which only empowers parties where there is a strong incentive to form coalition governments. Unfortunately right now we are seeing a political version of moral panic where I don't think any electoral system could help, but hopefully this is just a temporary state of affairs.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

Iceland I guess.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Parties will meet where the pivotal middle voter lies. In a normal country not worked up into hysterics that would be in the traditional political centre, and moving away from that is a losing proposition which only empowers parties where there is a strong incentive to form coalition governments. Unfortunately right now we are seeing a political version of moral panic where I don't think any electoral system could help, but hopefully this is just a temporary state of affairs.

I really can't disagree with this. European politics are really awful right now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Counterargument, literally the entire modern world as of 2016.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

Those polarized parties tend to be really small and have barely any say in how things are run. The actual major parties tend to be much less polarized, especially if they often have to govern with each other.

The point of proportional representation under normal circumstances is that policy is dictated by the small parties, whether they are radical or centrist, because they are the force that can make or break a government. THe major parties tend to concentrate around the middle on core issues. In the UK it's also the minor parties and anti-establishment intraparty splinters that would have been disregarded under traditional two party system that made Brexit a thing.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Thanks again. It seems like the Dutch system is going to evolve into something similar then, except with Geert Wilders's party in the role of the communists. However, with the long tradition of coalition governance we have I think we'll be fine (I'm expecting that Wilders won't get more than 1/6 of the seats in parliament, which is not enough to completely gum up the works; also, a number of 'splinter groups' are likely to disappear from parliament after the election next year).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Haha

what

Also thanks for the effort post

You can easily make the case for communist parties being conservative, in the sense of them having a tradition that they stick to much more strongly than parties associated with other ideologies. The rhetoric of many communist parties feels almost static and very much resistant to change.

steinrokkan posted:

You remind me of a Swedish friend, who, after a budget crisis a couple years back, said the 50 bonus seats to the first party in Greece are nice. :v:

Catastrophic failure breeds fascists everywhere, no matter the political system. Look at Greece. But hell, you also have poo poo like Germany, which is about as much proof as you can get that you can be the main beneficiary of an economic crisis and have a relatively stable political scene and still grow a strong fascist movement.

steinrokkan posted:

In 2010 there were new elections, and victorious emerged a right wing coalition headed by Petr Nečas. However he got involved romantically with his PA, who ended up using the secret service to spy on his wife, and to run personal errands.

This is nuts. :stare:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The point of proportional representation under normal circumstances is that policy is dictated by the small parties, whether they are radical or centrist, because they are the force that can make or break a government. THe major parties tend to concentrate around the middle on core issues. In the UK it's also the minor parties and anti-establishment intraparty splinters that would have been disregarded under traditional two party system that made Brexit a thing.

At least in Finland the smaller parties in government usually get some token policies on their pet issues while the two major parties in the coalition dictate pretty much everything else. I really can't think of a time where a minor party got a major concession here.

At best they can get some above average ministerial seats.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 15, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

At least in Finland the smaller parties in government usually get some token policies on their pet issues while the two major parties in the coalition dictate pretty much everything else. I really can't think of a time where a minor party got a major concession here.

At best they can get some above average ministerial seats.

Well, if the ruling party can't form a voitng majority without them, they must provide at least a tacit approval for every policy, and so they form a sort of a corridor within which the major coalition party can act. In some cases the major party is entirely out of this corridor (maybe not in Finland) which leads to tragicomic results.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Andrast posted:

At least in Finland the smaller parties in government usually get some token policies while the two major parties in the coalition dictate pretty much everything else. I really can't think of a time where a minor party got a major concession here.
Yeah, it's the same here in Denmark. The major parties dictate their terms to their coalition, and then the minor parties have to decide whether it's worth challenging them on this or that proposal. Which, if they do decide to do, likely means handing power over the opposition, essentially turning the whole thing into a two-party "lesser of two evils" thing. The right has it slightly easier in this regard, since "gently caress poor people" and "gently caress immigrants" aren't fundamentally opposed, while "Let's help the upper class" and "Let's help the poor and everyone else disadvantaged in today's society" are a bit harder to reconcile.

steinrokkan posted:

Well, if the ruling party can't form a voitng majority without them, they must provide at least a tacit approval for every policy, and so they form a sort of a corridor within which the major coalition party can act. In some cases the major party is entirely out of this corridor (maybe not in Finland) which leads to tragicomic results.
Are you sure you're not just projecting Czech politics onto every other country with a proportional voting system?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I guess the thing with Finland is that we have three "big" parties of similar size and our governments have two of the three in it. This means the government policy is almost always a big pile of compromises and generally the smaller parties don't have that much say.

For example, our Green Party that loving hates nuclear power has in the past allowed new nuclear power permits to go through the government while they were in it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That is no longer true Andrast have you blocked out Persut from your mind or something?

Small parties have disproportionate influence if they are needed to form a functional government, and no influence if the electoral math works out so that they are not needed. Still prefer this to any 2 party system as voters get to choose a party closer to their real opinion, which is good because democracy and all that.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

That is no longer true Andrast have you blocked out Persut from your mind or something?

They are going to have like 10% vote share when the next parliamentary election comes.