Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Because I'm a cynical pessimist that doesn't believe anyone (especially in politics) is out for the good of mankind

He doesn't have to be for that to be a side bonus though?

What's worse, that he does a good thing for lovely 'gently caress you' reasons or for his opponent to then later repeal that good thing because 'gently caress you too?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

then you really should have had no problem voting for clinton.

As a white male, I was the poo poo class in their camp

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Coal releases more radiation than nuclear by a yuuuuuge margin.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Because I'm a cynical pessimist that doesn't believe anyone (especially in politics) is out for the good of mankind
Coal isn't coming back, and it's not Obama's fault. Can you understand that?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

As a white male, I was the poo poo class in their camp

I mean, you're always poo poo.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Leon Einstein posted:

Coal isn't coming back, and it's not Obama's fault. Can you understand that?

Sure, I mean if that's how it is, that's how it is

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'd like to see is go whole hog on nuke and electric cars/trains and save coal for necessary industrial use and gas/diesel and poo poo for heavy trucking and jet fuel and poo poo you can't power with electricty but loving lmao that's never gonna happen.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is an interesting paper if anyone cares:

http://www.ieahydro.org/media/b9067...nologies%20.pdf

quote:

ENVIRONMENTAL AND HEALTH IMPACTS OF ELECTRICITY GENERATION

Which is hella long but here's an infographic based on some of the numbers in it:

Ranging from minimum to max based on various studies and methodologies (some will count deaths from resulting radioactivity/pollution for example, others won't).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 21, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

This is an interesting paper if anyone cares:

Other emissions are more easily
controlled, and the use of the most modern techniques by virtue of their higher
conversion efficiencies can cut the emissions considerably. But since the majority of
coal-fired power plants represent old and less efficient techniques, average specific
emissions of greenhouse gas will remain high, i.e. >1000 g CO2 per kWhel. Although
coal represents a non-renewable energy source, the global reserves are unlimited for all
practical purpose.

Coal = modern plants reduce emissions "considerably" and "unlimited"

Trump was right

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Other emissions are more easily
controlled, and the use of the most modern techniques by virtue of their higher
conversion efficiencies can cut the emissions considerably. But since the majority of
coal-fired power plants represent old and less efficient techniques, average specific
emissions of greenhouse gas will remain high, i.e. >1000 g CO2 per kWhel. Although
coal represents a non-renewable energy source, the global reserves are unlimited for all
practical purpose.

Coal = modern plants reduce emissions "considerably" and "unlimited"

Trump was right

I mean even a 10 minute research session into coal disposal methods shows that's totally wrong :shrug:

There's no answer for where to store coal ash (leftover after burning) and that's not even the fly ash which contains all kinds of polluting poo poo too (the smoke coming out the stack)

"Clean coal" is 100% some bs coming from the coal lobby and for someone who is so sensitive about spin from the left you'd think you'd not be so quick to accept spin from the right. It's literally a public relations term dude.

Yeah, you can mitigate the pollution but it will never be even close to the same level as nuclear or renewables.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

I mean even a 10 minute research session into coal disposal methods shows that's totally wrong :shrug:

There's no answer for where to store coal ash (leftover after burning) and that's not even the fly ash which contains all kinds of polluting poo poo too (the smoke coming out the stack)

"Clean coal" is 100% some bs coming from the coal lobby and for someone who is so sensitive about spin from the left you'd think you'd not be so quick to accept spin from the right.

The paper you just posted said modern coal is pretty clean, the problem is fuckheads like China

And store coal ash? How about spent nuclear rods bro

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The paper you just posted said modern coal is pretty clean, the problem is fuckheads like China

And store coal ash? How about spent nuclear rods bro

Pretty clean relative to dirty coal doesn't mean "clean." It just means cleaner than the stuff we were doing 20-30 years ago. Also "clean coal" tech does nothing to address coal mining or processing, it's just about the burning.

Modern reactors don't have radioactive waste like you're thinking of, that poo poo gets reused as fuel and the resulting actual waste is a) not radioactive enough to really harm you and b) is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than the coal ash we are dumping into lakes.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
We should use nuclear energy because we can't dispose of coal ash. Nuclear has no waste that's impossible to deal with

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

We should use nuclear energy because we can't dispose of coal ash. Nuclear has no waste that's impossible to deal with

It's like literally the difference between a glass of water and Lake Meade.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Fukishima's core is melting into the center of the earth as we speak years later

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And yet even with that, it produces less radiation and kills less people than equivalent terawatt/hour producing coal plants.

Amazing really.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also Fukushima is a hella old plant that was built on top of a fault line and was well past its inspection/shutdown date.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And all of this anti-nuke stuff is still beside the fact that coal as an industry is loving dying world wide.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Also Fukushima is a hella old plant that was built on top of a fault line and was well past its inspection/shutdown date.

it's almost like an example of what happens when regulations are ignored....

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sure but modern designs are literally incapable of meltdown so :shrug:

If there is no active cooling on them the reaction just stops, there is no runaway meltdown.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
nuclear is good and coal is quite bad

wind and solar are great but need some of either coal, gas or nuclear to ensure supply during bad days

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm all for whatever is best but it seems like coal is tainted by the past use of it, as well as current use by fuckheads like China, throwing the statistics out of whack

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not saying shut down all coal plants immediately, I'm just wary of people promising to save the coal industry.

And obv care should be taken with nuclear stuff too.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
everyone who didn't vote green is a loving moron

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

everyone who didn't vote green is a loving moron

I wish Jill Stein wasn't head of the green party.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
vote for pedro

\/\/\/ yea gently caress the greens. they're probably hella helping oil/coal too with their nonstop nuclear disinformation campaign

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
measles epidemics are entirely green

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if I had to choose between Donald Duck or kill wifi stein

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yuca mountain should be open but people are dumb. Now we've got graveyards of dry casks that the gov and thus the taxpayer literally pays the nuclear industry to babysit since the agreed upon central repository wasn't opened. If yuca had opened we'd be putting all those casks in there where it won't ever hurt anything because it's a desolate shithole already.

E: suck my dick Nevada you're costing us all money

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 21, 2017

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I mean it's not directly from the supreme propagandists Bannon's mouth, but here ya go

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/16/trump-overturns-bill-on-coal-mining-debris.html

Oh it's not? I'm not gonna bother to read it then either. I expressed my opinion on the EPA like 50 pages ago and not gonna bother to do it again. Nice try at fear mongering though. You should try the Trump wants to kill puppies angle. That was a good one.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If that coal thing was so important why did Obama wait until a few months ago to do it, he had 8 years.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Krustic posted:

Oh it's not? I'm not gonna bother to read it then either. I expressed my opinion on the EPA like 50 pages ago and not gonna bother to do it again. Nice try at fear mongering though. You should try the Trump wants to kill puppies angle. That was a good one.

I mean, I don't pay attention to your opinion, because it's exceedingly dumb, but I'm assuming your mad because you really like drinking poo poo in your water?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, today Trump signed a bill into law that authorizes 19.5 billion in spending for Nasa. ""It's the first time in seven years that there has been an authorization bill for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, also known as NASA", said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, a chief sponsor of the bill". Seven years!

edit: Also of importance
FBI director James Comey admits under oath that he hates the Patriots
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/fbi-director-james-comey-admits-under-oath-that-he-hates-the-patriots-032017

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 21, 2017

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Poetic Justice posted:

Also, today Trump signed a bill into law that authorizes 19.5 billion in spending for Nasa. ""It's the first time in seven years that there has been an authorization bill for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, also known as NASA", said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, a chief sponsor of the bill". Seven years!

That's cool, wonder which goon will be the first to denounce NASA because trump gave them material support

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thank loving god tbh

idk why NASA gets poo poo on all the time so hard

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda weird to pat themselves on the back with the "first in seven years!" thing though as if NASA hasn't just been funded via the general appropriations bill that gets passed every year but w/e NASA is good

iirc their budget for last year was only $18.5 b

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Toadvine posted:

That's cool, wonder which goon will be the first to denounce NASA because trump gave them material support

I'll do it, since they are no longer able to do "politicized" science, what are they actually going to be accomplishing now?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Toadvine posted:

I want to volunteer, but the words turn to ashes on my tongue, I can't hate nasa, can't even pretend to

uh, efb I guess

trump wants nasa to focus more on getting people on other planets, I think. certainly his mental image of a sweet fuckin mars base or whatever is childlike and moronic, but I mean, that's still a cool goal

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean if you really wanna be a cynical stinkbutt about it you could say "I bet Elon Musk whispered in his ear and that's why this is happening and it's just a ploy to get more contracts to SpaceX" but whatever even if true lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's definitely bad that the satellite data etc that they provide for climate study will be scrapped due to aforementioned "politicized science," but i'm comfortable with repeating "tormp bad" and letting it be

• Locked thread