Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, that's cool and frankly I'd rather play it there assuming I can easily transfer my account but yeah, that's a little...questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm curious. I was interested in it but my phone is too lovely to play it so at least I can give it a shot now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean the best news is probably that you can loving coordinate the multiplayer with steam chat instead of praying to god that the breaker knows to just break.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Which one is Mobius again?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The one that destroys phone batteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epn7jAXXOTY&feature=youtu.be

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

WoFF hype deflated, that was some boring one note combat jeez. Didn't help that the demo explained nothing about how anything worked, was it even possible to do more than attack, imprism, defend unless you switch to classic mode? Doesn't matter anyway just keep hitting attack and win.
Hoping it's just a bad demo.

I know it's from a little while ago, but I finally got a chance to try the demo, and yeah, you can absolutely do more than that. you select which character in the stack you want to use by choosing down, right, or up with the analog stick, or you can use a skill/combined ability by choosing left. you also choose who to target with the d-pad. the demo doesn't give you a lot of info about it, though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Playing the FF4 mobile port and man is it rough going from Bravely Default/Second to this. I absolutely hate floating joysticks and wish I could just set a virtual pad like on an emulator. Also encounters are so frequent and I already miss not being able to turn them off to explore. Octomammoth was barely a fight by the time I 100% explored the cave. Also it feels like the camera is zoomed in to far and I don't have a lot of range of sight, which means I end up staring at the map a lot.

I've only played FF: Dimensions as far as mobile FF games go, do they all have this cheap feeling touch interface?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Playing the FF4 mobile port and man is it rough going from Bravely Default/Second to this. I absolutely hate floating joysticks and wish I could just set a virtual pad like on an emulator. Also encounters are so frequent and I already miss not being able to turn them off to explore. Octomammoth was barely a fight by the time I 100% explored the cave. Also it feels like the camera is zoomed in to far and I don't have a lot of range of sight, which means I end up staring at the map a lot.

I've only played FF: Dimensions as far as mobile FF games go, do they all have this cheap feeling touch interface?

Every mobile FF port I've seen has that cheap and nasty-looking interface, and many of them look awful in general or have 15FPS battles or some other debilitating flaw as well.

FF4DS or FFIV: Complete on PSP are the best ways to play that game IMHO. I haven't played FF4DS in awhile but I seem to remember it being the toughest of the ports, if you're looking for more challenge?

And yeah both ports have random encounters, just like all old FFs. I really wouldn't have it any other way, personally.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

thorsilver posted:

Every mobile FF port I've seen has that cheap and nasty-looking interface, and many of them look awful in general or have 15FPS battles or some other debilitating flaw as well.

FF4DS or FFIV: Complete on PSP are the best ways to play that game IMHO. I haven't played FF4DS in awhile but I seem to remember it being the toughest of the ports, if you're looking for more challenge?

And yeah both ports have random encounters, just like all old FFs. I really wouldn't have it any other way, personally.

I was under the impression that the android FF4 port was the DS one ported over. I only have a 3ds and a phone as mobile game sources currently and hadn't played ff4 in over 10 years so I figured I'd try it.

I certainly don't mind random battles, I've played jrpgs for a long time and they're a part of that. The Bravely games are just a super well done accumulation of conveniences and they absolutely spoil the player. Just finished the second one and now I'm sad there isn't another to start on. They're really amazing games for anyone that loved ff5 and older jrpgs but also like the modern updates.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I want the Dragon Quest games ported over to Steam.

Square-Enix please. Please.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Woo. My World of Final Fantasy collectors edition shipped.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I want the Dragon Quest games ported over to Steam.

Square-Enix please. Please.

No you fool don't you see how the FF games turned out

FFVI looks like someone had to draw the sprites with their tongue

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That was a problem with the mobile port, which was in turn ported to Steam. The mobile ports were developed by a garbage fire on the banks of an open sewer flow.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't understand how the guys that made the good, cool 4 Heroes of Light could also crank out such nasty ports.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I was under the impression that the android FF4 port was the DS one ported over. I only have a 3ds and a phone as mobile game sources currently and hadn't played ff4 in over 10 years so I figured I'd try it.

I think you're right and the Android one is a DS port, but it follows the Square-Enix phone-port tradition of taking the raw ingredients and making them absolutely hideous.

Anyway you have a 3DS, just put the DS cart in there! It's worth the $20 or so for the button controls and less-ugly menus alone IMO.

quote:

I certainly don't mind random battles, I've played jrpgs for a long time and they're a part of that. The Bravely games are just a super well done accumulation of conveniences and they absolutely spoil the player. Just finished the second one and now I'm sad there isn't another to start on. They're really amazing games for anyone that loved ff5 and older jrpgs but also like the modern updates.

Yeah I loved those games too, I just never messed with the random battle slider. I like random battles anyway, and especially loved battles in BD, never felt the urge to skip them :)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How is the port of The World Ends With You?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's not as good as the ds version

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not a Children posted:

No you fool don't you see how the FF games turned out

FFVI looks like someone had to draw the sprites with their tongue

The mobile ports of the Dragon Quest games generally look a lot better though than the Final Fantasy mobile ports, crappy UI aside.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
WoFF demo was pretty neat. With speed at 5 and classic menu system and time set to active anyway. I captured a ton of monsters and ended up riding a behemoth to finish the boss by toppling her over and over again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bloodychill posted:

WoFF demo was pretty neat. With speed at 5 and classic menu system and time set to active anyway. I captured a ton of monsters and ended up riding a behemoth to finish the boss by toppling her over and over again.

It's fun enough but a little too on the easy side.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mokinokaro posted:

Well it IS a demo. I don't know if I've ever met a hard demo- they're usually tuned to be very easy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Bravely Default demo had some bite to it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Someone post how to check my doomtrain IVs

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Terper posted:

The Bravely Default demo had some bite to it.

Not every demo can be so blessed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mokinokaro posted:

It was but I still almost died because I was screwing around in the menu system during active battle and didn't notice I was close to losing until one of my stacks died. I'm hoping the bosses in the actual game have some bite.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I caught a Squall but it was a happy nature so I loving wondertraded that poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

It was but I still almost died because I was screwing around in the menu system during active battle and didn't notice I was close to losing until one of my stacks died. I'm hoping the bosses in the actual game have some bite.

They're not going to be super hardcore mega challenging anything but some of the bosses can hit pretty hard unless you optimize your team for them. It's sort of like SMT in that it depends on your team comp, but there are ways to trivialize a lot of things. There's one specific spell which basically ruins the last boss's day for example.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's Poison isn't it. It's okay, you can just say Poison, Orphan from FF13 already had that gimmick, it isn't new.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gologle posted:

It's Poison isn't it. It's okay, you can just say Poison, Orphan from FF13 already had that gimmick, it isn't new.

in a twist, it's going to be toad, finally making it relevant again

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

They're not going to be super hardcore mega challenging anything but some of the bosses can hit pretty hard unless you optimize your team for them. It's sort of like SMT in that it depends on your team comp, but there are ways to trivialize a lot of things. There's one specific spell which basically ruins the last boss's day for example.

Also holy poo poo Imp you've already gotten to the final boss, I thought WoFF was estimated to take about a 120 hours?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

morallyobjected posted:

in a twist, it's going to be toad, finally making it relevant again

If anything it will be pig, the most powerful of FF4 status spells.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It will be mini. We will finally have a return to mini dungeons, but it won't be so crippling as it was in FFIII.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's Reflect, Asura from 4 is the final boss.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every deflected attack won't do damage, but it still causes an imbalance that may knock down the stack.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
it's going to be Lv5 Death

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

It'll be quick-leak. But with no emulator speed up. :unsmigghh:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The final boss is undead and you can just revive it like Soul Cage.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's Regen, healing at max HP causes an overflow and wraps around to very low HP.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Wasn't there a mage type boss in one of the games that was susceptible to berserk, thus making the fight trivial that way? That sounds like a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the mage guy in one of the twin towers in FF5, and that other guy in the other tower that locks off nonmagic commands in FF6. Final Fantasy usually has ways to shut down a lot of its bosses past FF4, but, you know, Final Fantasy and all means outside of self-imposed challenges that it's just helpful and not nessasary.