Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife's Pixel 2 xl finally started loving up after a solid run and we ended up getting her an 11 Pro. With that, my s20 ultra and the non-flagship processor on the Pixel 5 I think it's time to hand in my pixel warriors gang tag. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
The raised power button on my Pixel 3 cracked and fell off. I can press the power button, but I have to angle my nail a really specific way to hit the contact.

Is there a software solution to this? Could I somehow get an app that would create a bind that's like "Software home button + hardware volume down = power button"?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:siren: :siren: :siren: MOD EDIT: DO NOT ATTEMPT :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1266943909499826176?s=19

:laffo: this is hilarious

*DO NOT ATTEMPT*

https://twitter.com/vamsiexplores/status/1266947339198984194?s=09

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 1, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I added an extra disclaimer at the top of your post, but....

What. How. Why. What.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

I added an extra disclaimer at the top of your post, but....

What. How. Why. What.

from Engadget:

quote:

The issue may come down to the color spaces your phone supports and how they’re handled. Dylan Roussel from 9to5 discovered that the source image uses the RGB color space instead of Android’s preferred sRGB, and Android 10 doesn’t convert it where the Android 11 preview does — that causes problems any time an incompatible phone has to display the picture, which is a problem if you’ve just set the photo as your wallpaper. Other images will likely lead to the same issue.

https://www.engadget.com/image-bricks-android-phones-as-wallpaper-234411451.html

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That might be the strangest thing I've ever seen

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That is unreal. I'm impressed, Android continues to impress me.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd totally set that as my wallpaper too. drat.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently it's not a problem on Android 11.

https://twitter.com/evowizz/status/1267165368709234689

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Just as a possible warning (and I can't 100%verify this), but my phone has actually been doing this at random for the past 12 months and been repeatedly replaced by google with a refurbished under warranty (currently on my 6th replacement in the last year). I would basically wake up to the boot screen requesting reset or factory reset, and a reset would flash the screen repeatedly as in the video and then crash again. I (and Google) could never figure out what was going on (they didn't really try to troubleshoot). I did not use the wallpaper in question, but I did have it set to google's rotating randomized wallpaper setting. Best guess after seeing this is one of the wallpapers that are part of the rotation causes the same problem. Wish I had discovered this before getting rid of my phone (pixel 2xl) an, especially if all I would have needed to do is set a static (non destructive) wallpaper to fix it...

TLDR: May also be possible on Pixel 2XL, and not with just that image; some images in google's wallpaper rotation options may also soft-lock your phone.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 1, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Just as a possible warning (and I can't 100%verify this), but my phone has actually been doing this at random for the past 12 months and been repeatedly replaced by google with a refurbished under warranty (currently on my 6th replacement in the last year). I would basically wake up to the boot screen requesting reset or factory reset, and a reset would flash the screen repeatedly as in the video and then crash again. I (and Google) could never figure out what was going on (they didn't really try to troubleshoot). I did not use the wallpaper in question, but I did have it set to google's rotating randomized wallpaper setting. Best guess after seeing this is one of the wallpapers that are part of the rotation causes the same problem. Wish I had discovered this before getting rid of my phone (pixel 2xl) an, especially if all I would have needed to do is set a static (non destructive) wallpaper to fix it...

TLDR: May also be possible on Pixel 2XL, and not with just that image; some images in google's wallpaper rotation options may also soft-lock your phone.

Android Police had this problem on a P3XL too..it might be an Android 10 and below issue if the guy I posted from Twitter is right.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How hosed up does your graphics stack have to be to break the whole system because of an "incompatible" color space? How about just ignoring it and showing the image with terrible colors, because it doesn't know how to convert? Like what you'd expect? What the hell is going on here? Why is this a system breaking bug?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Anyone know of a phone with a good quality camera which is smaller than a Pixel 3?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

How hosed up does your graphics stack have to be to break the whole system because of an "incompatible" color space? How about just ignoring it and showing the image with terrible colors, because it doesn't know how to convert? Like what you'd expect? What the hell is going on here? Why is this a system breaking bug?

because it's funny as hell, why not do it? :thunk:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bryter posted:

Anyone know of a phone with a good quality camera which is smaller than a Pixel 3?

I'm honestly not sure if anything in that criteria fits. You may be looking at iPhone SE territory with a tiny size requirement plus good camera.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm honestly not sure if anything in that criteria fits. You may be looking at iPhone SE territory with a tiny size requirement plus good camera.

The difference between a Pixel 3 and an iPhone SE is .02" in width and .28" in height. Close enough that it's reasonable to consider them the same size, but I guess it is technically true that it's smaller.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The difference between a Pixel 3 and an iPhone SE is .02" in width and .28" in height. Close enough that it's reasonable to consider them the same size, but I guess it is technically true that it's smaller.

Wow, okay my bad then! For some reason I had in my head the SE was much smaller. In that case, you're not going to do much better than the Pixel 3 haha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The S10e is about the only other phone in that size category with a decent camera.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wow, okay my bad then! For some reason I had in my head the SE was much smaller. In that case, you're not going to do much better than the Pixel 3 haha.

The old SE was. The new SE is based on the larger iPhone 8.

I would consider a 1/4" in height pretty significant. I had a Nokia 6 for a minute before getting a Pixel 2 and the extra 1/4" in height made it unwieldly for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Comedy option:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Comedy option:

You can get these used for $60-80, and at that price they're pretty compelling. Camera is awful, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

You can get these used for $60-80, and at that price they're pretty compelling. Camera is awful, though.

Why?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Didn't Samsung release a device, many moons ago, that was quite literally a point-and-shoot camera smooshed onto a Galaxy phone?

My phone needs are simple enough these days that this would be a viable option for me. Bring back sidetalking!!

[e] VV yeah, that's the one

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 1, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

spincube posted:

Didn't Samsung release a device, many moons ago, that was quite literally a point-and-shoot camera smooshed onto a Galaxy phone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Camera

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Emergency butt phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Emergency butt phone.

You can't fit a flagship phone in your butt?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phones are way too big and bulky, don't fit in pockets well. You can stash these in a small pocket or strap them to a bicycle or soomething.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:rip: Essential's Gem concept phone

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Android 11 Beta has dropped for some people.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I, for a hot second, thought I was on Telegram... Augh.

EDIT: The Beta rollout is apparently just a mistake? But..it's real.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 2, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Phones are way too big and bulky, don't fit in pockets well. You can stash these in a small pocket or strap them to a bicycle or soomething.

Is this the phone that needs a companion phone, or no? I thought it piggy backed off another phone, more like a smart watch without LTE, less like a stand alone small phone. But maybe I’m making that up. Still I don’t see the point, get a og iphone SE and call it a day.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My phone is being weird today. This popped up out of nowhere:

Then if I tap on it to go into face unlock settings, and try to delete face data so I can re-enroll, I get this:

and it never deletes.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My phone is being weird today. This popped up out of nowhere:

Then if I tap on it to go into face unlock settings, and try to delete face data so I can re-enroll, I get this:

and it never deletes.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

For a second I thought that was some sort of phishing thing, but turns out enrol is yet another word that has a different British vs American spelling that I've never seen before

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

sourdough posted:

Is this the phone that needs a companion phone, or no? I thought it piggy backed off another phone, more like a smart watch without LTE, less like a stand alone small phone. But maybe I’m making that up. Still I don’t see the point, get a og iphone SE and call it a day.

It was originally as a like release exclusive deal or something, but they started selling them unlocked. Theoretically the draw is an actually small phone that runs anything recent, but the battery doesn't last long enough or I'd honestly be buying one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

For a second I thought that was some sort of phishing thing, but turns out enrol is yet another word that has a different British vs American spelling that I've never seen before

Lol no it's definitely from the OS. No clue what to do about this, it pops up every time I unlock.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This has been bugging me for a while. I use my phone in the kitchen for two things: watching YouTube and setting timers. Whenever I trigger Assistant to set a timer, it pauses my video, listens to my request, sets the timer, and then leaves up the Assistant. I need to clean my hands and manually switch back to YouTube or whatever.

Can I make it so my phone will switch back to the app I was using after using the Assistant?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol no it's definitely from the OS. No clue what to do about this, it pops up every time I unlock.

Someone upthread had the same problem and no one replied to them.

Uthor posted:

This has been bugging me for a while. I use my phone in the kitchen for two things: watching YouTube and setting timers. Whenever I trigger Assistant to set a timer, it pauses my video, listens to my request, sets the timer, and then leaves up the Assistant. I need to clean my hands and manually switch back to YouTube or whatever.

Can I make it so my phone will switch back to the app I was using after using the Assistant?

Turn off voice detection for the phone and use a Nest Mini for the timers.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

spincube posted:

My phone needs are simple enough these days that this would be a viable option for me. Bring back sidetalking!!

[e] VV yeah, that's the one

I actually really liked that concept: you have a real camera with a huge sensor (compared to smartphones), an optical zoom and maybe even replaceable lenses, but you also get computational photography, lots of photo apps, an easy to use touchscreen, software updates (in theory :v: )...

Too bad that no one will bother with it, or will half rear end it so you get the worst of both worlds instead of the best of both :shrug:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Uthor posted:

You can tell it to open YouTube after the timer is set. Might have to tap the screen to resume the video though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

I actually really liked that concept: you have a real camera with a huge sensor (compared to smartphones), an optical zoom and maybe even replaceable lenses, but you also get computational photography, lots of photo apps, an easy to use touchscreen, software updates (in theory :v: )...

Too bad that no one will bother with it, or will half rear end it so you get the worst of both worlds instead of the best of both :shrug:

I liked the idea at the time (especially for easy sharing), but I was thinking about it and it's too late for something like that to work now. If you are the type of person who just needs a point and shoot, a good smart phone from the last couple of years is pretty great. If you care about photography enough to carry a dedicated camera, you will be pulling the photos onto your PC and doing manual editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chikimiki posted:

Actually Samsung stopped producing those like 6 years ago. No idea why. They had actually incredibly good lenses.