Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Started playing MGSV again and what's dragging it down is that we'll never get another MGS game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like someone is game over. Never be game over.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A blast from the past since I've been playing through some classic SNES games, but the secret exit indication on the Super Mario World map sucks. It's already slow enough to wander around looking at the red stage icons and figuring out which ones are completed, but then some are completely hidden in other stage types. I've got one left, and I'm sure it's hiding in some drat ghost house or something but I have no idea where.

And the worst part is, I know I'm still gonna keep looking for it even though literally the only reward will be resetting the game so the counter increments one more time :arghfist::corsair:

e: well that smiley combo doesn't look quite like I expected

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Agents are GO! posted:

Started playing MGSV again and what's dragging it down is that we'll never get another MGS game. :(

I enjoyed most of the ones I played, for the most part, but all the cut scenes, looonnnngggg comm chatter and totally off the rails story telling kinda took them down a notch for me. I know for a lot of people, that's a huge part of the charm but I guess a lot of it was lost on me.

oldpainless posted:

Wait till you get to DS2

Decided to gently caress that and go straight to Ds3.

The last dude in DS1 hosed me up because the very first time I fought him I got him down to less than half health, figured I had that poo poo in the bad, and then proceeded to get wrecked for like 15 or 20 times, often getting totally shut out. Turned out I had to make sure I had the right gear and up my parrying game, which was a problem because (along with 2 hand wielding) I had largely ignored using that and hadn't practiced it much except for against Havel.

I also have a bad habit of getting greedy and semi button mashing instead of just staying calm and paying attention to my pacing, timing and rhythm. I also leaned on guides and did the parry/Estus/parry cheese but I don't consider anything you do to the enemies in Dark Souls to be cheesy or cheap because gently caress them and even knowing how to do it, it was still hard.

I stand by my opinion that the fires should be closer to the bosses and fog doors because that is just having good video game manners.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I enjoyed most of the ones I played, for the most part, but all the cut scenes, looonnnngggg comm chatter and totally off the rails story telling kinda took them down a notch for me. I know for a lot of people, that's a huge part of the charm but I guess a lot of it was lost on me.

Decided to gently caress that and go straight to Ds3.

The last dude in DS1 hosed me up because the very first time I fought him I got him down to less than half health, figured I had that poo poo in the bad, and then proceeded to get wrecked for like 15 or 20 times, often getting totally shut out. Turned out I had to make sure I had the right gear and up my parrying game, which was a problem because (along with 2 hand wielding) I had largely ignored using that and hadn't practiced it much except for against Havel.

I also have a bad habit of getting greedy and semi button mashing instead of just staying calm and paying attention to my pacing, timing and rhythm. I also leaned on guides and did the parry/Estus/parry cheese but I don't consider anything you do to the enemies in Dark Souls to be cheesy or cheap because gently caress them and even knowing how to do it, it was still hard.

I stand by my opinion that the fires should be closer to the bosses and fog doors because that is just having good video game manners.

If you could place your own bonfire I would place one just outside the final boss's door, just so I could walk through the fog and bare hand parry his opening attack. I know I've said it before but it's such a good "No, shut the gently caress up, this is how this is gonna go down" kind of feeling.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I never parried the end boss. You can beat him down by blocking and dodging, it's just a pain because he doesn't give you many openers to retaliate and can run you out of stamina if you're not careful. I even knew you could parry him but I tried it once, whiffed it and got destroyed and was like no loving way am I running all the way to this guy just to whiff a couple parries and die until I learn to parry. I'd rather struggle against him and die in a real fight, at least that way I feel like I got to actually fight at the end of my run.

Was pretty mean to make a game where parries weren't worth it and then make parries super useful on the last boss with a massive runback.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phigs posted:

I never parried the end boss. You can beat him down by blocking and dodging, it's just a pain because he doesn't give you many openers to retaliate and can run you out of stamina if you're not careful. I even knew you could parry him but I tried it once, whiffed it and got destroyed and was like no loving way am I running all the way to this guy just to whiff a couple parries and die until I learn to parry. I'd rather struggle against him and die in a real fight, at least that way I feel like I got to actually fight at the end of my run.

Was pretty mean to make a game where parries weren't worth it and then make parries super useful on the last boss with a massive runback.

That was my experience too. I had gone for a pretty tanky build so I dodged or ate the damage and beat the crap out of him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The trick for parrying the final boss is to block the first attack of his combo, then parry the second.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, if the style of storytelling doesn't click with you, you're not going to get much out if the series. There really isn't anything else like it, though.

Gaius Marius posted:

Sounds like someone is game over. Never be game over.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 17:26 on May 2, 2022

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Didn't play the second one (wasn't well received from what I saw), but the first Doom Eternal DLC is basically the devs trolling people with romhack levels of difficulty. There was at least one fight against two marauders at once and that wasn't even one of the hard parts.

Both DLCs are mostly very good and the second one is easier than the first, mostly in response to complaints that the first was such a ball buster. They are both very hard though. And it’s a shame, because other than the Marauders they’re extremely high quality, gorgeous level design and really savage encounters. It’s theoretically what long time Doom fans would want, levels that maximize the strength of the varied bestiary, but like every other encounter has at least one Marauder, sometimes they’re buffed to be faster and stronger, and that can suck a fat one.

I really like Doom Eternal but it takes a fair bit of being able to see the matrix in order to get the most out of it since it is such a divergence from other Doom games and FPS in general. Once you get it though, it’s really excellent and flows perfectly, except for the Marauders which are indefensible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thecluckmeme posted:

If you could place your own bonfire I would place one just outside the final boss's door, just so I could walk through the fog and bare hand parry his opening attack. I know I've said it before but it's such a good "No, shut the gently caress up, this is how this is gonna go down" kind of feeling.

That's a really good idea and it'd be a great mechanic.

Sprinkle 5 or 7 "Bonfire Stones" here and there that are really hard to find. Tie it to the Fire Keeper quest somehow or stat lock them if you must. They also wouldn't be "automatic boss load" fires because several fog doors don't automatically lead to to boss fights and the temptation would be to use one right there every time. If you don't find them, though, you're poo poo out of luck.

Also, god loving bless NG+ because I had a great time actually being able to actually FIGHT and made it almost up the gargolyles in like a half hour. I guess I scared the dragon off too because he hosed right off. I was ready to mess up his dumb face. Second run scared me at first because I didn't know you couldn't level up until Firelink and I thought I was stat/level locked.

Now eat poo poo, game. Come get some.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

thecluckmeme posted:

This is something that Vigil: the longest night kind of does. You have a consumable that gives you a quicksave so if you die you just can just respawn where you used it. It was a pretty neat mechanic that saved me a lot of time when I played it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Now eat poo poo, game. Come get some.

This is the exact attitude that I think makes the souls series so good. I don't think I've ever finished one and not immediately wanted to turn around and style on it now that I know what I'm doing within its areas and encounters. It's a hard sell to get through an entire game just to enjoy it more, but now the possibilities are now numerous with all of the knowledge and experience you have.

And I don't know if this changed but NG+ was also the first time that the gravelord covenant worked, so go learn some speed run tech and play hide and seek online :devil:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

thecluckmeme posted:

Placing your own bonfire was meant to be a mechanic for Dark Souls 3. You would use the coiled sword(s) to stab dead bodies you had piled up and make a bonfire then and there. They couldn't make it work, so back to the traditional bonfire set up and the coiled sword became a plot item to basically conclude the tutorial.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Phigs posted:

Same on all accounts. It was funny because I played Bloodborne next (so many years later) and learning how to parry was one of the first things I did there. Probably helped that Bloodborne was way more forgiving with it. It's a shame I fought Gwyn the hard way because after watching videos of people parrying him (especially that first jumping attack), it just looks so loving cool and as far as I'm concerned that's canonically how the fight went down. The chosen undead walked in, slapped away the giant sword, then proceeded to skewer Gwyn's barely cognizant form until death

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

Same on all accounts. It was funny because I played Bloodborne next (so many years later) and learning how to parry was one of the first things I did there. Probably helped that Bloodborne was way more forgiving with it. It's a shame I fought Gwyn the hard way because after watching videos of people parrying him (especially that first jumping attack), it just looks so loving cool and as far as I'm concerned that's canonically how the fight went down. The chosen undead walked in, slapped away the giant sword, then proceeded to skewer Gwyn's barely cognizant form until death

Consider this incentive to do a Buckler/Dragon Bone Fist run. Or double fist!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Consider this incentive to do a Buckler/Dragon Bone Fist run. Or double fist!

I went powerstanced Caestus in DS2 and it was fun as gently caress. Especially if you've got the stone ring, which lets you pummel the poo poo out of everyone's poise. Just walking up to some big dude in giant armor and loving wailing on him like Jack Dempsey

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can imagine why placeable bonfires wouldn't work - for as useful as they would be for eliminating boss runs, so much of the pacing and tension of Dark Souls comes from the distance between bonfires and/or how much estus it takes to get you from one to the next. Turning that into a completely variable thing (and attaching it to another patented Fromsoft weird janky subsystem) would really muck with things for the worse, IMO. Hell, a big part of the appeal of the earlier games was the feeling of relief and familiarity when you opened a shortcut back to an old bonfire. That's completely dissipated if you can just plop one down wherever you want.

Plus the concept really breaks down when you consider that 99% of the time the answer to the question of where to put down a bonfire is going to be to place it outside the boss fog. And then the rest of the time it'll be a total blind gamble based in gut feeling.

Tbh I'm not even convinced other games have done it well, but at the very least I don't think it's a good fit for how From designs their maps. Of course, DS3 then went on to have really messy and subpar map design, probably because bonfires as a system were in flux...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Agents are GO! posted:

I just finished the story for DAYS GONE and after the main plot ends they drip out a few ends-tying mini-missions, the last of which is a huge what-the-gently caress DGII plot hook, so of course they will never make a sequel :mad:

Back to scouring the gameworld of zombie hordes, its fun that somewhere in the game you switch from trying to avoid zomb groups bigger than a handful and then you're taking down several hundred of the buggers at a time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Kit Walker posted:

I went powerstanced Caestus in DS2 and it was fun as gently caress. Especially if you've got the stone ring, which lets you pummel the poo poo out of everyone's poise. Just walking up to some big dude in giant armor and loving wailing on him like Jack Dempsey

Covenant of champions ring with butterfly wings and skirt is probably my all time favourite pvp build in the series.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MGS is just such a unique blend of batshit storytelling and so-dumb-it's-brilliant gameplay, and MGSV is probably the closest we'll ever get to a sequel to Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, too. :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RyokoTK posted:

Both DLCs are mostly very good and the second one is easier than the first, mostly in response to complaints that the first was such a ball buster. They are both very hard though. And it’s a shame, because other than the Marauders they’re extremely high quality, gorgeous level design and really savage encounters. It’s theoretically what long time Doom fans would want, levels that maximize the strength of the varied bestiary, but like every other encounter has at least one Marauder, sometimes they’re buffed to be faster and stronger, and that can suck a fat one.

I really like Doom Eternal but it takes a fair bit of being able to see the matrix in order to get the most out of it since it is such a divergence from other Doom games and FPS in general. Once you get it though, it’s really excellent and flows perfectly, except for the Marauders which are indefensible.

The Marauders were never really the issue for me, it was the enemies they added which possessed other enemies to supercharge them and which could only be killed by the pulse rifle lock-on beam attachment. It was like they saw all the complaints about it being the worst attachment in the game and tried to force people to like it by adding those things all over the place. There was some encounter in the second level of the first DLC that had multiple Cyberdemons and a Hell Baron which would sprint around at super speed and kill me instantly if it got close and it was so frustrating that I just gave up after too many failed tries. Going to eventually go back and beat it but I know it's not going to be any less annoying.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
After finishing up an NG+ elden ring run I decided to go back and retry Sekiro and I'm honestly getting to the same point I bailed last time (the guy on the horse)

I don't know if I'm just too inept to get the parries down but damned if I am just bouncing off this game hard. I hate getting punished for dying, I hate the big delays in swings and that you have to learn evert bosses' stupid mannerisms, it's nothing like the other games.

Is there some sort of trick that will unlock my enjoyment of this or is it just not for me? Do I need to stop using b to escape via dodge and remap my brain to panic hold LB?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there some sort of trick that will unlock my enjoyment of this or is it just not for me? Do I need to stop using b to escape via dodge and remap my brain to panic hold LB?

Emphasis on hold LB, to be honest, and yes stop dodging. It’s nowhere near as useful in Sekiro as it is in the Souls games. You’ll unlock the Mikiri counter eventually, and that’s basically the only time you want to hit the dodge button in combat (until you’re really used to the game).

If you’re tapping wildly you’re reducing your chances of avoiding damage. Wolf blocks like he has a 100% phys reduction shield in Dark Souls, and your poise recovery is significantly better when you’re holding block. It’s better to whiff a deflection and block as a result than it is to whiff a deflection and get smacked as a result.

Also remember that you don’t have a stamina bar, so you can attack freely and run infinitely.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't dodge ever

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

sephiRoth IRA posted:

After finishing up an NG+ elden ring run I decided to go back and retry Sekiro and I'm honestly getting to the same point I bailed last time (the guy on the horse)

I don't know if I'm just too inept to get the parries down but damned if I am just bouncing off this game hard. I hate getting punished for dying, I hate the big delays in swings and that you have to learn evert bosses' stupid mannerisms, it's nothing like the other games.

Short answer: yes.
Longer answer: Learn to deflect things now while it's still early. It's a pretty core mechanic and some things are much much easier when you use it. Dodging is more of an emergency (and the same button is used for the Mikiri Counter, which is another thing to get as soon as you can - you should probably have it by now).

If you're getting annoyed by horse guy, go check out Hirata Estate for a bit. If you don't have access to Hirata Estate, you might want to look it up because I can't describe it very well. :)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have mikiri, remembered that was important from my first attempt. I haven't even reached horse guy yet fwiw, I'm at that miniboss between the ogre and the horse guy. I know he's there to teach me the jump poise damage move and the mikiri but I just panic and mash buttons. Especially after 200 hours of elden ring...

I'll try again tomorrow once I've had a cool off. I wish I could face bosses over and over because while I can land moves on the undead guy, killing the bosses is so much more difficult.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Also don’t forget that attacking/pressuring an enemy is usually a good thing.

They will parry you eventually, but most enemies have a very small amount of moves they can do after they parry which makes it much easier to counter their counter.

If you stand there and let the enemy attack you first they will usually use a combo that’s a real pain in the rear end to deal with.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i beat sekiro a couple days ago and it was phenomenal, a+

the little thing dragging it down for me right now is it's good enough that i kind of want to get all the achievements, but that kind of demands several ng+ runs to grind out all the skills, which is just something that doesn't appeal to me. idk why. dumb brain thing where i always feel like a completely fresh run is what a game's balance is designed around and therefore more fun.

started up my first ng+ run tonight and chained ogre killed me in a single grab, like drat dude let me live in the power fantasy of taking all my upgrades into a new file for at least a little while lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leal posted:

It is way too easy to overlevel in rune factory 5. I'm on day 22 and I'm almost level 60, coincidentally I beat the first act and the last dungeon for that was like level 20. Bosses melt within 10 seconds, and thats only because after taking enough damage a boss will enter a new phase where they just don't take damage until they're done with their animation.

Also it lacks the perma season farming areas that 4 had, even though it would make perfect sense for the farm dragons to follow it. There is an ice one where its all snowing, but no thats just visual. Its ok, grow your spring or summer crops on it, they'll be fine with the snow.

I'm kinda salty over the fact that it's following 4's example of not giving you an actual goddamn house to live in.
Oh boy, I get to live in the attic of some old loli child? That beats the hell out of having my own farm in this farming game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
After trying to defeat Aldrich for a few hours I've come to a conclusion that on a long enough timescale any distance from a bonfire to a boss becomes too much. Just give me a checkpoint at the fog, an option to either retry at the start of a fight or from a bonfire and I'll decide.

I'm consistently getting nearer to defeating him, but running up to the fog is not making me any more better at the fight. Actually I think the relatively short distance is making it worse, at this point just why do that.

Edit: this extends to other games that have some kind of a boss room and a checkpoint structure, like a shrine from Nioh or any others.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 10:01 on May 3, 2022

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a really good idea and it'd be a great mechanic.

Sprinkle 5 or 7 "Bonfire Stones" here and there that are really hard to find. Tie it to the Fire Keeper quest somehow or stat lock them if you must. They also wouldn't be "automatic boss load" fires because several fog doors don't automatically lead to to boss fights and the temptation would be to use one right there every time. If you don't find them, though, you're poo poo out of luck.
That's just the fast travel system from Dragon's Dogma :colbert:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Unlike in other From games where it'll get you mushed, in Sekiro it's normally safe to take the initiative and start attacking an enemy that's not doing anything. For enemies with swords at least, you can hit attack until there's a different sound for the clashing swords and a bigger spark, which is the indicator that you need to shift to deflecting.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Pretty much. The game wants you to be constantly in your enemy’s face and the parry window is incredibly generous so for the most part you can just get right up in there to keep up the pressure until you overwhelm them. For most bosses you’re not trying to whittle down their hp, you’re trying to break their poise and while health damage helps with that by making them recover slower, it’s important to keep up the pressure as much as you can

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Horses have a glaringly obvious weak spot. Attack there.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

oldpainless posted:

Horses have a glaringly obvious weak spot. Attack there.

Sekiro doesn't give you ants, though.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ya'll want more bitching about Elden Ring, right? That hasn't gotten tiresome yet, right?

Anyway sometimes it feels totally arbitrary where you can and cannot do ash summons, and moreover it's way too easy to spot upcoming enemies, summon, and have them unsummon as you charge in. Particularly egregious in a couple of places in Raya Lucaria.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

After trying to defeat Aldrich for a few hours I've come to a conclusion that on a long enough timescale any distance from a bonfire to a boss becomes too much. Just give me a checkpoint at the fog, an option to either retry at the start of a fight or from a bonfire and I'll decide.

I'm consistently getting nearer to defeating him, but running up to the fog is not making me any more better at the fight. Actually I think the relatively short distance is making it worse, at this point just why do that.

Edit: this extends to other games that have some kind of a boss room and a checkpoint structure, like a shrine from Nioh or any others.

More games need to take lessons from super meat boy and celeste. Stop wasting my time, just reload the drat challenge right there one second after I lose if you want things to take multiple tries to get past.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

More games need to take lessons from super meat boy and celeste. Stop wasting my time, just reload the drat challenge right there one second after I lose if you want things to take multiple tries to get past.

100% this. My main From experience was trying Sekiro a while back, and I got really tired of having to traverse the same location and chance dying to the same mooks yet again on my way to the enemies I was actually trying to git gud against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Elden Ring: man, the Consecrated Snowfield is neat conceptually but it kinda blows having an area where the top half is just a blinding snowstorm and I’m not super stoked about the handicapped sniper wolf ladies on the bottom. At least right after doing the snow level that was at least slightly more interesting.