Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i suggested everyone use the ff7r2 thread when that game was taking up every post per page here and my post was even mod edited to remove the link to that dedicated thread. apparently dedicated threads are bad :confused: so why would anyone talking about stellar blade, a ps5 exclusive, not be allowed to do so in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You can't talk about ps5 games in here, this is the ps5 thread!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Blind Rasputin posted:

Stellar Blade is good. I have been reading Adrian Tchaikovsky’s (author of children of time series, really amazing series) Shards of Earth novel. It is basically an identical set up of an all female warrior caste. Anyone that takes issue with depiction of a female warrior caste and their battle dress must’ve skipped out on the Marvel Wonder Woman movie in 2017 or any of its sequels. I digress.

The game is very good and I think I know why. The combat seems very fast, smooth, quick, and agile. I feel agile. It’s the first game since Sekiro that actually feels like Sekiro. I’ve played nearly every souls-like in the past few years and almost all of them really rely hard on restricting animation cancelling. Lies of P, Lords of the Fallen, Wu Long, etc.. you’re stuck in an animation and all of its follow up frames (which sometimes the player doesn’t even perceive) until they run their course. This makes the game harder, sure, but also slower and cumbersome, and less fun because even a tiny miss-timing of action can screw the player. And also, hammering dodge or block while nothing happens on the screen causes a frustrational dysphoria like no other. LotF is particularly bad about this as I think there’s like a .5sec worth of frames at the end of heavy weapon attacks where the character really does..nothing but shift their shoulders a bit but boy does it mess up the feeling of deflecting.

Stellar Blade does away with all of that. There isn’t even queuing from what I can tell, and you can cancel an attack into a block all you drat want. This is a pretty brave choice for a souls-like game but it fits the motif quite well. This isn’t supposed to be a pain in the rear end hyper challenge, it’s a bit challenging for maximal fun, fast, fluid, and intense.

I'm loving it. I suck rear end at souls likes, Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring are the only ones I've finished by actual From Software, though I've also beaten Code Vein (heavy companion use obviously) So Stellar Blade lets me feel like I'm playing a half Sekiro, half DMC kinda thing where I don't have to try too many times on bosses, and I can consumable spend my way out, which to be fair I've only had to do once on one of the upgraded versions of a story boss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

it’s a bit of both

How close to God of War is it?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I would say slightly but not very. There is a demo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i suggested everyone use the ff7r2 thread when that game was taking up every post per page here and my post was even mod edited to remove the link to that dedicated thread. apparently dedicated threads are bad :confused: so why would anyone talking about stellar blade, a ps5 exclusive, not be allowed to do so in this thread?

Yes dedicated threads are bad, even more so when they are about final fantasy.

Yakuza thread is good tho, very rare exception.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The games that the thread regulars are playing will always be part of this thread’s running conversation. Silly to fight that.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ShoogaSlim posted:

you should post about ps5 games here, in the ps5 thread, to justify this thread's existence

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
because ps5 has two games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RareAcumen posted:

Not really much at all, it's like Sekiro/Bloodborne meets NieR. It has a heaviness and is deliberate to a degree that's kind of all its own, but the influences are quite apparent. At the start it feels a bit rigid as it's teaching, you can then open up the skill trees in really any direction you want. I opted to go for double dashes and stuff that would make parrying easier right out of the gate. The game allows you to be quite mobile or hold your ground and tank attacks to a degree, kite enemies through hazards, use items, play block/parry heavy or perfect dodge heavy. There are numerous types of special dodges/counters for different situations. Bosses feel like DS3 style mobility-wise with parry mechanics emphasized, and there's quite a bit of enemy diversity. Some encounters feel like resource management with multiple enemies types and the 'estus' equivalent, others are one-on-on turbo aggro fights. There are FROM style level shortcuts and several types of bonfire. Level exploration has a lot of verticality, and secret spots are plentiful and require observation and occasional radar pinging. Like a Souls game there is no map, and fast travel is limited to a specific type of bonfire. There are some basic hacking minigames, swimming sections (no breath meter), you can reset skill trees, etc.

On the aesthetic side the art direction is extremely strong, the soundtrack kicks rear end in both quiet 'pretty' moments with jazz or k-pop lite gibberish vocals and in the crunchy boss moments where it can lean hard on metal and noisy industrial. There are a ton of costumes to choose from and the focus on fluidity of character animation is worth noting. The story doesn't rewrite the book but the ambiance and vibes are fantastic. Can't speak for the localization because I'm playing in Korean which sounds good to me, but the accessibility options are quite good and performance on 'balanced' mode is well optimized. Biggest downside so far is no controller remap, I had to hard-swap buttons using the Edge.

Overall a great exclusive game, and a refreshing take on the genre even if it is a huge love letter to the NieR series which will probably always overshadow it.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 29, 2024

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
You can talk about stellar blade here or a dedicated thread.

There is no reason not to talk about games you can play on the PS5 in the PS5 thread when there are so many games you can play. A dedicated thread is also fine for more detail but this is a catch all thread and that is fine.

Not sure why someone edited your link out though, Shoogs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veegy, listen to that song I posted on the last page

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

games you can play on the PS5

also known as PS4 games

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
When you streaming steller blade veeg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

also known as PS4 games

Ps3*

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Eiyuden Chronicle is an insanely mediocre game and hell, I think that's just fine

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

PS4 remakes of PS3 games except the good ones

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still boot my PS3 to play Motorstorm Pacific Rift. Shame on Sony having a good bunch of great games stuck on PS3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RareAcumen posted:

It's kind of like a mishmash of every character action game released in the last 10 years. You have perfect parries, witch time counters, posture breaks, hit L3+R3 for devil trigger etc. It will all seem familiar if you've played God of War but it owes a lot more to DMC or Nioh. You can get by just button mashing and panic rolling but there's every incentive in the world to parry.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The blink abilities feel so drat good to pull off, and in general the game does a really good job of forcing do-or-die risky aggression scenarios.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Guillermus posted:

I still boot my PS3 to play Motorstorm Pacific Rift. Shame on Sony having a good bunch of great games stuck on PS3.

It’s still alive? What model is it?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

FAT model (60Gb), it's the very first european model that still has the slots for PS1/2 memory cards. Univbee iirc told me it is a software backcompat. A coworker gave this one to me for free back in 2020 during the lockdown and I cleaned it up, slapped new thermal paste, swapped the HDD with a 1Tb and installed CFW. Thinking on getting a better (and quieter) CPU fan. My only regret was using a normal (modern at least) 1Tb spinny drive instead of a SSD even if the console would barely take advantage of that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Only the first run of fat usa models died lot. Lots and lots of ps3 still willing to be played

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Only the first run of fat usa models died lot. Lots and lots of ps3 still willing to be played

You don't see FAT models in the wild in here anymore because most people keep them for the card slots. Slims and superslims are plenty and cheap considering Spain even in the 7th generation, Playstation had over 80% of the market.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My launch BC model got the yellow light of death years ago ;_;

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Same :( I have a slim that still works though.

I hate going back to the DS3 though when I pull it out. Used to love that controller but after the DS4 and 5 it just feels bad to me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Hell, along with a better fan for my FAT, I may even end getting a cheap PS3 slim, do the same cleaning, slap a new HDD (this time a cheap SSD), and place it at my missus along with my PS4.

I'm right now working through Killzone 2 and after that, Resistance 2. I want to play a good bunch of exclusives that I never got to try back in the days because I was busy getting screamed by kids in CoD4/MW2/Blops in XboxLive

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Love the super slim PS3 because it looks like it belongs on the Nostromo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, in 2012, while playing Uncharted 3 on release day :negative:

Took that bitch apart and tried reflowing the CPU but I apparently messed it up because it lasted all of an hour once reassembled. Lost some good gamesaves too since it was before I had ps+. Still the most intense electronic dismantle job I've ever attempted, that thing was put together like a silicon fortress.

Then I went out and bought a used slim for 100 bux and it's still working 12 years later. : ) Still, I wish I had my launch 60, I wanna play the PS2 version of SOTC with graphics enhancements

big nipples big life posted:

Same :( I have a slim that still works though.

I hate going back to the DS3 though when I pull it out. Used to love that controller but after the DS4 and 5 it just feels bad to me.

Word up, it's not perfect integration but you can actually use a DualSense with the PS3

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 29, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Idk what version my fat ps3 is, I don't think it's the backwards compatible model. Tho the disc drive is borked. Been sitting in a drawer in my aunts house for a long time now

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Idk what version my fat ps3 is, I don't think it's the backwards compatible model. Tho the disc drive is borked. Been sitting in a drawer in my aunts house for a long time now

Mine has the PS1/PS2 card reader, 4 USB slots and silver panel where you put the disc so software backwards compatible. FAT PS3 disc drive is kinda easy to replace but at this point you can get away just by installing CFW and using USB drives to put ISOs. I built a decent PS3 library:

KILLZONE (PS2)
KILLZONE 2
KILLZONE 3
HAZE
RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN
RESISTANCE 2
RESISTANCE 3
METAL GEAR SOLID 4
BIONIC COMMANDO
ALPHA PROTOCOL
DUNGEON SIEGE III
THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION
DRAGON’S DOGMA DARK ARISEN
DEMON'S SOULS
DARK SOULS II SOTFS
NIER
HEAVENLY SWORD
THE DARKNESS
WARHAMMER 40.000 SPACE MARINE
FEAR 2
SINGULARITY
WOLFENSTEIN ‘09
SAINTS ROW 2
VIRTUA FIGHTER 5
CALL OF DUTY 4 MODERN WARFARE
CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 2
CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 3
CALL OF DUTY WORLD AT WAR
CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS
CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS II
BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY
BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2
MEDAL OF HONOR
BATTLEFIELD 3
BATTLEFIELD 4
TOM CLANCY RAINBOW SIX VEGAS
TOM CLANCY RAINBOW SIX VEGAS 2
STRANGLEHOLD
WET
TNA IMPACT!
WWE ‘13
MIDNIGHT CLUB
GRAN TURISMO 5
MOTORSTORM: PACIFIC RIFT
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 3
FAR CRY 4
ASSASSIN’S CREED
ASSASSIN’S CREED 2
ASSASSIN’S CREED 3
ASSASSIN’S CREED: BROTHERHOOD
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2009
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2010
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2012
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2013
FIFA 14
FIFA 13
FIFA 12
FIFA 11
FIFA WORLD CUP SOUTH AFRICA 2010

All the football/soccer games cost me 10€ combined so why the gently caress not lol. The most expensive ones were Killzone (PS2) that I beat before using CFW and Demon's Souls that is actually a sealed reprint but since I own the digital version, is what I played and beat when I got the PS3.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Same, in 2012, while playing Uncharted 3 on release day :negative:

Took that bitch apart and tried reflowing the CPU but I apparently messed it up because it lasted all of an hour once reassembled. Lost some good gamesaves too since it was before I had ps+. Still the most intense electronic dismantle job I've ever attempted, that thing was put together like a silicon fortress.

Then I went out and bought a used slim for 100 bux and it's still working 12 years later. : ) Still, I wish I had my launch 60, I wanna play the PS2 version of SOTC with graphics enhancements

Word up, it's not perfect integration but you can actually use a DualSense with the PS3

That's cool, I know DS4 works somewhat as well.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Shut the gently caress up about old games, some new hotness just dropped

https://x.com/Housemarque/status/1784895491123405216

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ZeeBoi posted:

Apparently tomorrow's Returnal's three year anniversary. With Sony's next rumoured showcase being in May I'd expect this to be either an announcement of an announcement or some sort of minor content update.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm annie hathaway'ing ovah heah

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

VideoGames posted:

You can talk about stellar blade here or a dedicated thread.

There is no reason not to talk about games you can play on the PS5 in the PS5 thread when there are so many games you can play. A dedicated thread is also fine for more detail but this is a catch all thread and that is fine.

Not sure why someone edited your link out though, Shoogs.

Beta-admin energy, real weak stuff

Mould the forums to your designs veeg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Re: steller blade video protests: The boys are always streets ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRcxHnQVys

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Absolutely loved this series, too bad its only playable through PSnow.

Remember being so hyped for the first one on launch for PS3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the motorstorms emulate pretty well, if you have a decent pc. apocalypse is bit more demanding, but you don't need a bleeding edge CPU to match the PS3's 30fps (and the GPU requirements are quite low).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Without spoiling too much does Stellar Blade get a boss rush or bloody palace mode upon completion?