Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/lifewithashe/status/1787314826256974132

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah drat is his best

another classic demi doing drake
https://youtu.be/Z3-ZWhxnJmA

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you want something pop and kinda soft then The Black Panther album has very enjoyable bangers. Kendrick really won hard in 2017-2018 and didn't ~need~ to make money for years after that allowing for Mr Morales and this diss album.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://x.com/madmcferrin/status/1787275633736999106

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
drat. Is a great album imo but GKMC is in my personal Top 5 ever and in everybody’s Top….10? at worst, probably.

Atoramos posted:

Saw him do most of it live back in '18 and I'm still recovering

Went to that tour with some friends who don’t really listen to rap and they were blown away by how good a show one man could put on by himself.

Mr. morale tour didn’t hit that level but was still really good.

Omg never wanna watch your kids unless their friends wanna stay the night is some nasty loving work :lol:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kendrick is the GOAT and you can spin any of his albums.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lmao.

Tho passionfruit is like the last Drake song I've liked. Nice beat from one of the producers he absolutely abused and treated like poo poo probably.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

good lord lol

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Froghammer posted:

What can I say, I live for drama.

Also it's an excuse to really dig into Kendrick's back catalogue and I'm prepared to have my mind blown.

Here's a nice Kendrick feature that also serves as a sampler platter of some of the best names going right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spfsdpuvUyQ

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Criminal Minded posted:

Here's a nice Kendrick feature that also serves as a sampler platter of some of the best names going right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spfsdpuvUyQ

Really Doe is more my "Earl Sweatshirt manages to upstage three of the greatest MCs alive"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJgwn7b5Iug

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Toss me in with the crowd of newcomers in here because of the beef. I grew up listening to a lot of underground and popular west coast stuff from the 90s as my brother was really, really into it. But for some reason it just never stuck with me until now. Aside from Kendrick's albums, any recommendations for artists to check out? Like a beginner's catalogue of the best stuff sorta recommendations?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Stalins Moustache posted:

Toss me in with the crowd of newcomers in here because of the beef. I grew up listening to a lot of underground and popular west coast stuff from the 90s as my brother was really, really into it. But for some reason it just never stuck with me until now. Aside from Kendrick's albums, any recommendations for artists to check out? Like a beginner's catalogue of the best stuff sorta recommendations?

If you want more west coast stuff, Vince Staples is my favorite rapper going and his last album is the best he's done in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul9zdTiYaOA

e: vvv lol hell yeah

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 6, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

heres a link to DS2 full album playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3J9-OvxNpo

you're welcome

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

The REAL Goobusters posted:

heres a link to DS2 full album playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3J9-OvxNpo

you're welcome

Thank you for serving the base 🙏

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Even Demi's hilarious joke self-snitch bars have more sauce than Drake's.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown is one of the top five best hip hop albums of the 2010s. On a good day and I'm feeling weird I'll say it's the best.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Lid posted:

Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown is one of the top five best hip hop albums of the 2010s. On a good day and I'm feeling weird I'll say it's the best.

It's honestly just my favorite rap album ever

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I saw Kendrick like 10 years ago right after GKMC came out, he played a local folk festival here where tickets cost like $10 and had a full backing band. still one of the best music shows i've ever been to

also lmao at kendrick's "we got language barriers" a few disses ago and dude misunderstanding lyrics like right after

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lid posted:

its top 3 of the 2010s. possibly its number 1!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Crumbletron posted:

I saw Kendrick like 10 years ago right after GKMC came out, he played a local folk festival here where tickets cost like $10 and had a full backing band. still one of the best music shows i've ever been to

also lmao at kendrick's "we got language barriers" a few disses ago and dude misunderstanding lyrics like right after

Kendrick clocked everything.

quote:

Fabricatin' stories on the family front 'cause you heard Mr. Morale
A pathetic master manipulator, I can smell the tales on you now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm also surprised it took Drake that long to answer to Kendrick this weekend. This is what you wanted, you double down on in with the AI diss, and then when its game time you are out here not ready to launch the nukes? And then when you did the other side slaps you down and you own the weekend. AND THEN you finally reply but its Sunday night and the song is boring as gently caress and everyone is tired. Kendrick really let us rest on the Lord's day

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Searches for "Drake Millie Bobbie Brown" have gone through the roof lol what a self-own that track was

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Drake straight up Ace Attornied himself on that one

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

good kid maad city was the album that got me into hip hop. some other stuff I liked right after that:
lupe fiasco - the cool
run the jewels - run the jewels 2

seconding the vince staples and danny brown recs as well

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Big K.R.I.T is one of my personal favorites who I feel didn't really fet the kind of commercial success he deserved. 4eva is a long time is really accessible and a bunch of tracks from it are still in my playlist. Seconding the Vince Staples recommendation too. If your brother was into the west coast scene (more specifically Bay Area) you probably already know Mac Dre (RIP) but he's an enduring regional icon that I love if you haven't heard him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I might be a minority in this but I'd also recommend Billy woods' Known Unknowns and History Will Absolve Me

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hot Diggity! posted:

Searches for "Drake Millie Bobbie Brown" have gone through the roof lol what a self-own that track was

whoops

Lid posted:

I might be a minority in this but I'd also recommend Billy woods' Known Unknowns and History Will Absolve Me

everything Billy Woods touches is awesome

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Someone in this thread mentioned this already but I feel like there’s a good chance drake has no idea who the mole is and kicked everyone out except for a skeleton crew so he could get this out and keep it all a secret

It definitely feels like no one else heard this or said it was a terrible idea

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also all the casuals coming by and seemingly not one going "this Drake fella I want to hear more from him" because he's been so thoroughly outclassed that people hearing Kendrick for the first time alongside him are like "this Kendrick is incredible".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lid posted:

Also all the casuals coming by and seemingly not one going "this Drake fella I want to hear more from him" because he's been so thoroughly outclassed that people hearing Kendrick for the first time alongside him are like "this Kendrick is incredible".

I mean what can you even recommend by drake? Take care? Lol most of that was Weeknd throwaways

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

If we’re sharing favorites for people looking for recommendations I gotta put Denzel in here

https://youtu.be/3WHm6tfvKlk?si=CBZgeOl9mEDJ6Lcv

Denzel Curry is awesome and has incredible energy when rapping. He’s also a huge weeb and his newest album Melt Your Eyez See My Future is really good all around

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If you haven't listened to Story of Adidon yet, it's the last beef Drake was involved in and he got smacked down so loving hard that he became a father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XH3LYleDA

I still think "Marriage is somethin' that Sandi never had, Drake/How you a winner but she keep comin' in last place?" is the meanest thing anyone's ever said about him.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Lid posted:

Yeah I'm very interested in this feud, and know little about either rapper. I've turned off both of Drake's recent drops midway through to go listen to Kendrick's again.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Finding a producer you like then checking out rappers they worked with will help you cover a lot of ground quickly

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nothing was the Same is probably Drake's best album

Id recommend listening to that.

So Far gone and take care were a moment in time. Doesn't hold up quite as much now.

As far as my recommendations

Check out
Food and Liquor
The Cool(if only one pick this one)
Tetsuo and Youth
Drogas Waves

From Lupe Fiasco.

Also the enemy of the state mixtape.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 6, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Take Care and Nothing Was the Same are the only Drake projects I actually like and NWTS came out over a decade ago. Everything since then has been garbage IMO

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
who cares about his albums they all suck kendrick is right - no classic. this beef is easily drakes greatest contribution to rap, both in terms of entertainment value but also bringing new fans in to discover the genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you like Kendrick but are just discovering rap I would suggest JID - The Forever Story. Great album and he has a very similar style to Kendrick.