Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

withak posted:

Right now I'm praying so hard for someone to track down the alcoholic receptionist to get her side of the story.

probably killed her in one of his benzo blackouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don't see Carson's favorables going down too much but his unfavorables are going to skyrocket. The people he has now made represent the top of his appeal but that's still ~50% of the GOP.

This debate should be huge for him tho. Grilling from everyone.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
God had Ben Carson cure my autism with his Gifted Hands™. Friend Ben indeed.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CheesyDog posted:

Pyramid scheme's cereal memes gather steam; media reams redeeming themes of supreme surgeon's American Dream

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
President Carson, your secretary of the treasury has been embezzling millions of dollars from the federal reserve!

Well...I don't want to hurt his feelings, let's ask God to take care of this one, maybe he'll get hit by a bus on his way home today.

You would think the Christian thing to do would be at least try to get the poor woman some help with her alcoholism.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

President Carson, your secretary of the treasury has been embezzling millions of dollars from the federal reserve!

Well...I don't want to hurt his feelings, let's ask God to take care of this one, maybe he'll get hit by a bus on his way home today.

You would think the Christian thing to do would be at least try to get the poor woman some help with her alcoholism.

Yeah. Some of Baron BenCarson's stories are downright strange, from the standpoint of "why would you tell a story like that, about yourself, even if it were true?" Like the the whole thing of getting robbed at Popeye's and telling the robber "hey you want that minimum wage guy at the cash register, not the surgeon making multiples of six figures!"

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "You don't put grain in a pyramid because it's all solid." ~ Donald Trump, on Meet the Press

Minor quibble, only mostly solid.

Still, Trump has clearly demonstrated a clearer understanding of the pyramids than Carson. Trump for Pharaoh 2016 (B.C.)!

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Peel posted:

The liberal media had better watch out or Carson will pray them into the cornfield.

After reading that quote at least I know how is he planning to handle the economy and ISIS.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Isn't the point of selling a "humble beginnings" backstory supposed to mean that you come out on the other side with a deeper understanding of others and their struggles? What's the point of even mentioning your roots if all of your stories are like "now I'm rich, peace".

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
I haven't seen this in here yet, so I apologize if I missed it:

Apparently Ben Carson posted a fake newspaper article in an attempt to prove he was telling the truth. :downs:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Everything more that comes out concerning Ben Carson is just, I don't know, "completely stunning" is all that really comes to mind. That's really impressive for this specific team of presidential candidates. He's mentally unhinged in the most literal way. Imagine a president who 100% believes he can just ask God to help him, has some kind of bizarre dream, then wakes up and decides to do something crazy because God will work it out. Bush had his Gog and Magog in the middle east, who knows what insanity Carson would get up to.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Link does not exist! And I want it to!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So any debate predictions for Tuesday?

I think Kasich will continue to try to do his stupid "Only sane man in the room" routine and go after Carson (and Trump, but mostly Carson) and get smacked down again. Kasich isn't very good at this.

Rand Paul will whine and say things about our precious liberties and why are you cutting away I've only had two questions the whole night :smith:

Fiorina will desperately lash out at someone to try to get attention and will interrupt everybody. Fiorina will give another terrifying "smile."

Jeb! will either A. desperately hide in a corner in hopes of avoiding another bad performance, or B. put his recent debate training to good use and try to land another sick burn on Rubio and/or Trump, only to get brutally slaughtered. Option A. is recommended.

Cruz is the most predictable. "Why can't we all get along?" talk about how wonderful the GOP field is, talk about how he's opposing the Obama agenda, and questioning why the Democrats aren't given tough questions like he is. :saddowns:

Rubio will complain about how Jeb got his blood all over the Sword of Chang and Jeb would you stop impaling yourself on my sword I'm not even trying to fight you.

Ben Carson will awaken, yell about how people are being mean to him and threaten to unleash Friend Bear and his buddy God on the debate moderators. Then Carson will go back to sleep.

Trump will not get stumped. Again.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Markorjoshua posted:

He deleted the tweet and reposted it after clarifying a mistake here.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
"My concern with Trump is that his worldview generally excludes God. He’s a modern day Nebuchadnezzar, successful, powerful, but self-sufficient.

I don’t think his view has the completeness that a religious upbringing should bring."

- Typical Ben Carson supporter.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Markorjoshua posted:

It was taken down because it doesn't say what the person who posted it said. What it does say is even more illuminating, though: apparently the prank was perpetrated by the Yale parody newspaper (not a professor) and many students showed up to retake the fake exam (not just Ben).

So it turns out that Benzo Carson is still a lying piece of poo poo, but he based the lie on a thing that actually happened!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Montasque posted:

"My concern with Trump is that his worldview generally excludes God. He’s a modern day Nebuchadnezzar, successful, powerful, but self-sufficient.

I don’t think his view has the completeness that a religious upbringing should bring."

If you hear someone say this, you should issue a fatal beating, because they are simply too stupid for words.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My #1 concern lately has become "what % of the population will vote against any incumbent party just because they feel like things need shaken up"

Mostly I'm concerned about this because these people only seem to hold this belief at the presidential level and will happily vote for their thousandth term congressman

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, the first time I read about dark matter and dark energy I remember thinking 'nice deus ex machina'. I know they're theoretically necessary to explain the larger-than-expected gravitational pull of galaxies and why the expansion of the universe is accelerating, respectively, but it's weird that they haven't yet found a way to directly observe them.

IIRC the existence of it has been confirmed through lensing. I always just viewed it as matter that isn't being heated by something, which obviously must exist (and it's not crazy to assume there'd be a lot of it) and would be invisible to us, but apparently it's something else entirely? I mostly just watch documentaries

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Isn't the point of selling a "humble beginnings" backstory supposed to mean that you come out on the other side with a deeper understanding of others and their struggles? What's the point of even mentioning your roots if all of your stories are like "now I'm rich, peace".

you haven't hung out with many modern day baptists, have you? the entire subtext to their belief is that any sinner can turn towards the light of god and get forgiven for all past ills, and be showered with fame and good fortune henceforth. what's the point of having to seek forgiveness for all the awesome stuff you used to enjoy if you have to keep acknowledging that you did some dodgy/underhanded/unethical poo poo in the past? their interpretation of divine forgiveness basically means all the horrible stuff you used to do literally didn't happen any more, so you don't need to spend any time introspecting about what you learned.

tl;dr it's the "get out of jail free" card of protestant faiths

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Lotka Volterra posted:

It was taken down because it doesn't say what the person who posted it said. What it does say is even more illuminating, though: apparently the prank was perpetrated by the Yale parody newspaper (not a professor) and many students showed up to retake the fake exam (not just Ben).

So it turns out that Benzo Carson is still a lying piece of poo poo, but he based the lie on a thing that actually happened!

Yes, but how did the Yale parody newspaper know that only one student would be honest enough to take their fake test to completion, and thus be worthy of $10?

just kidding

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

For those who aren't familiar with the reference, the Biblical portrayal of Nebuchadnezzar (he was a real guy, but the real Nebuchadnezzar might not have too much to do with his Bible version) was the king of Babylon at the time of the destruction of Jerusalem and the First Temple (of Solomon) in 586 BCE. He had the last king of the line of David blinded immediately after killing the king's sons so the last thing the king would ever see was the end of his bloodline. Nebuchadnezzar was plagued by terrible dreams and the Jewish prophet Daniel helped him understand those dreams. First, he dreamed of a statue that had a head of gold, a chest of silver, a lower body of bronze, legs of iron, and feet of clay. Daniel told him that the statue represented the five empires that would rule the world, and that his kingdom, the Babylonians, were the first one, the gold head, and after these five world-ruling empires passed the world would end. Nebuchadnezzar built said statue and when three Jews, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Abednego is a name that needs to come back) refused to worship it, Nebuchadnezzar had the three thrown into a firey furnace. When the three emerged intact, Nebuchadnezzar was so impressed with the power of the Jewish God that he passed a law banning blaspheming against it, thinking that it'd be wise not to get on that god's bad side.

Then God strikes Nebuchadnezzar down with a horrible madness, leaving the king under the delusion that he was a cow. For months on end, Nebuchadnezzar walked on all fours, ate grass, and mooed, much to the consternation of his court. When Nebuchadnezzar's madness finally passed, he realized that loving with the God of the Jews was a seriously bad idea and instructed everyone to worship and follow that God or bad things will happen.

So this Carson supporter is suggesting that Donald Trump is about to be hit by a fit of madness and delusion and think that he's a cow. If so, this election will get even better.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Gregoriev posted:

He deleted the tweet and reposted it after clarifying a mistake here.

Carson also posted this link to a current syllabus for the Perceptions class, as if it were proof that the class existed back in 1970. Not to mention the fact that Carson's own source for the story, that article, indicates that the hoax exam was actually for an introductory Psych class, and not a 300 level one like he claimed. Furthermore, Carson started at Yale in the Fall of 1969, and this incident supposedly occurred in January, 1970, and I think it unlikely that he would even be taking a 300 level course in just his second semester.

Like the West Point story, there may in fact be a kernel of truth in there: it's certainly possible that Carson fell for this hoax and went to the fake exam. But it's been embellished and twisted into something that makes himself look good and he adamantly refuses to even acknowledge that his account is anything less the the full and factual truth.

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 8, 2015

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

So any debate predictions for Tuesday?

I think Kasich will continue to try to do his stupid "Only sane man in the room" routine and go after Carson (and Trump, but mostly Carson) and get smacked down again. Kasich isn't very good at this.

Rand Paul will whine and say things about our precious liberties and why are you cutting away I've only had two questions the whole night :smith:

Fiorina will desperately lash out at someone to try to get attention and will interrupt everybody. Fiorina will give another terrifying "smile."

Jeb! will either A. desperately hide in a corner in hopes of avoiding another bad performance, or B. put his recent debate training to good use and try to land another sick burn on Rubio and/or Trump, only to get brutally slaughtered. Option A. is recommended.

Cruz is the most predictable. "Why can't we all get along?" talk about how wonderful the GOP field is, talk about how he's opposing the Obama agenda, and questioning why the Democrats aren't given tough questions like he is. :saddowns:

Rubio will complain about how Jeb got his blood all over the Sword of Chang and Jeb would you stop impaling yourself on my sword I'm not even trying to fight you.

Ben Carson will awaken, yell about how people are being mean to him and threaten to unleash Friend Bear and his buddy God on the debate moderators. Then Carson will go back to sleep.

Trump will not get stumped. Again.

Jeb can't afford to hide out on this debate. I predict that he will go for broke. He really has nothing to lose he's halfway out of the race as it is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr Jaunts posted:

Carson also posted this link to a current syllabus for the Perceptions class, as if it were proof that the class existed back in 1970. Not to mention the fact that Carson's own source for the story, that article, indicates that the hoax exam was actually for an introductory Psych class, and not a 300 level one like he claimed. Furthermore, Carson started at Yale in the Fall of 1969, and this incident supposedly occurred in January, 1970, and I think it unlikely that he would even be taking a 300 level course in just his second semester.

Like the West Point story, there may in fact be a kernel of truth in there: it's certainly possible that Carson fell for this hoax and went to the fake exam. But it's been embellished and twisted into something that makes himself look good and he adamantly refuses to even acknowledge that his account is anything less the the full and factual truth.

I mean, at this stage it seems like Ben Carson is obviously that sort of pathological liar we've all known in life who alway has a story that tops everyone else's and seems too perfect to believe. Then one day you hear him telling one of his stories that you were witness to and its all twisted and start comparing notes with others and you realize just how full of poo poo he really is.

But Dr. Carson apparently made a fortune writing books with his bs and now people are collectively comparing notes

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Do It Once Right posted:

Yes, but how did the Yale parody newspaper know that only one student would be honest enough to take their fake test to completion, and thus be worthy of $10?

just kidding

It seems that his supporters aren't even reading what he's posting and just taking his word at face value. Evangelicals really are some of the stupidest people around.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Apparently he's claiming his campaign has a copy of the article and will be posting it? This oughta be good.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lotka Volterra posted:

It seems that his supporters aren't even reading what he's posting and just taking his word at face value. Evangelicals really are some of the stupidest people around.

I mean, if you're an evangelical you kinda base your whole life on taking something at face value...

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

The Nastier Nate posted:

Meant to post this earlier, but apparently being selfish really is the Christian Thing To Do:

http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2015/11/nonreligious-children-are-more-generous

Logikv9 posted:

I mean, if you're an evangelical you kinda base your whole life on taking something at face value...

True.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
"No, I did catch PikaBlu, my uncle who works at Nintendo told me how to find him. I don't remember this level of scrutiny on Obama's Pokemon team!" - Ben Carson, probably

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Who could have guessed that the architectural legacy of a 5,000 year-old dead African kingdom would become a presidential campaign issue in 2016 America

Truly, we are blessed to live in these times

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mike12345 posted:

probably killed her in one of his benzo blackouts

And when I came to, I found her with her skull bashed in and a hammer lying next to her. The Lord had answered my prayers.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
The latter half of this list only confirms that Ben Carson is a mediocre surgeon who takes credit for the work of others. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr Jaunts posted:

"No, I did catch PikaBlu, my uncle who works at Nintendo told me how to find him. I don't remember this level of scrutiny on Obama's Pokemon team!" - Ben Carson, probably

We all knew this kid, but probably lost track of them. It's interesting to see what happens when one of them actually lucks their way into some degree of power or money.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

El Ingenioso Cirujano Ben Carson de la West Point

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

Shocking stuff.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Vox Nihili posted:

Shocking stuff.

I know, it was unwise of me to assume someone would take the five seconds it took to read a thing that Guy They Worship posted on his own facebook.

One day I'll lower my expectations enough

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

oddium posted:

El Ingenioso Cirujano Ben Carson de la West Point

Don Carsón: 'I fought off an entire gang of marauders at the local inn.'

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Jaunts posted:

It brings me a special kind of joy seeing that the syllabus doesn't even have a final exam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are we SURE Ben Carson was the head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins? Is it possible he's just been telling people that for years and no one looked into it?

• Locked thread