Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

warwick5s posted:

Nice! Are those cabs sealed?

Yep. Two little 10" cabs with custom celestions!

Gramps posted:

You bastard. Sound clips please. I am very strongly considering one of these in a combo.

I will when my new guitar gets here. I have a horrible habit of buying stuff without actually having a guitar in the house :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Seriously, you bought an amp while you don't have a guitar?

That's pretty whack bro, just lettin that drop

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Agreed posted:

Seriously, you bought an amp while you don't have a guitar?

That's pretty whack bro, just lettin that drop

The RGA is on its way this week and the offer the shop was having on this would've ended when I'm out of town so I grabbed it now. Also got some free cables! Going to try and nab a guitar from a friend for a couple of days because its killing me having it sit there!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm just jealous because I want one, I have forgotten the cardinal rule to hate not the player...

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

^ Just got a new pair of Ruby 12AX7 preamp tubes for my Ampeg SuperJet last week, and they really made the amp sing. Unfortunately, one of them fried out tonight, but strangely enough, Musician's Friend was amazingly helpful and said that they'd ship me out a replacement immediately, and I don't even have to send anything back. Totally unexpected.

I also got one of the new Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz pedals, and clone or not, it's really amazing for the money.

I've got a Transparent Overdrive on the way as well - I was gonna hold off on it, but after I heard that they were gonna change the circuit, I decided I needed to get one just in case the new ones are crap (though I've never been disappointed by Dano's overdrives before).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Awesome, Damage Control is back :) I was worried they'd be goners for good, but they've relaunched and now they're selling direct without the supply problems that have plagued them since their introduction.

The Solid Metal and Liquid Blues are two constants in my signal chain, plugged in since the day I bought them more than a year ago. Now maybe I can pick up a Demonizer or a Glass Nexus.

MrStraightface
Feb 19, 2009
Roland JD-800

Sliders galore. Fun times have been had

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
That thing is a monster.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

MrStraightface posted:

Roland JD-800

Holy poo poo what does that thing weigh?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MrStraightface posted:

Roland JD-800

Awesome. Get the SR-JV-08-04 vintage card for it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi, Adrian.

Howdy, all.
It was a lot more work than I wanted to do, but I finally got the pickups installed in my newly acquired Ibanez USA Custom.
It's a 1992 USA Custom Exotic Wood, flame maple, in translucent blue. It came loaded with direct-mounted PAF-Pros and a single-coil in the middle.

I already had guitars loaded with:
Duncan Pearly Gates with Texas Specials
Duncan JB / DiMarzio Blue Velvet / Duncan '59
DiMarzio FRED / JEM Single / Humbucker From Hell

I knew I wanted Duncans, and in the neck I love the '59, I went with zebra. I kept the original single-coil for the time being and put a replacement aged white cover on it. In the bridge I opted for a Duncan Custom Custom trembucker in Zebra.
The pickups are direct-mounted so I had to get the baseplates cut to fit the pickup cavities. While I was at it I sprayed the baseplates flat black, and also blacked out some of the single-coil cover.

I got everything together and discovered that the neck '59 was WAY too tall to fit in the cavity and since I couldn't do the metal-work I did wood-work instead. I drilled out the pickup cavity just enough to lower the neck pickup into the body. I didn't want to remove any wood but there was no other way to proceed.

I replaced the pots with A500K push/pull pots and wired them to series/parallel mod the two humbuckers.

Finally it's done. I am so glad I went with the Custom Custom. It's got balls. I had been told it lacked low-end, but it sounds nice and full through my rig (a Peavey Classic 50 4x10" and a Blues Classic 1x15"). Both humbuckers sound great in series and although it's not a huge difference they sound great in parallel also.

I took a bunch of pictures yesterday morning. I now present the Dr. Faustus model Ibanez.

Check the pics out here at photobucket: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/DrFaustus777/UCEWFMTB/

drat man, I would gently caress that guitar, and I'm not even a superstrat kinda guy.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Hey Agreed, have you decided on which Tech 21 Character Series you're gonna get yet?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrStraightface posted:

Roland JD-800

Tell me more about those envelope controls! :swoon:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Scarf posted:

Hey Agreed, have you decided on which Tech 21 Character Series you're gonna get yet?

No, I haven't, but I'm thinking about the Liverpool one pretty hard. It's either that or try to build the Moeller AC30 Simulator, which I'm almost certain is out of my league. I am a little nonplussed by the lack of an XLR or other balanced output on this thing, it really does seem like a step backwards for Tech21, but the sound is great.

MrStraightface
Feb 19, 2009

hamaien posted:

Holy poo poo what does that thing weigh?

33 lbs + the road case weighs 30lbs. I'm a pussy so it's a bitch to lug around, but it's worth it.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Tell me more about those envelope controls!

I'm not very tech savy. From what I can tell they're pretty $$$$$. I got no idea. I just wanted a synth with more of a hands on feel and not have to deal with fuckin' screen and sub-screens.

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

One of these(not this exact one but it looks the same) is on its way to me:hfive:

70s Epiphone Crestwood. I'm pretty excited.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

First bass:

It's a 2001 G&L L-2500. I'm quite excited.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Bought a new mixer

Mackie D.2 Pro
It's traktor certified so I don't have to drag an interface around with me, just plug it straight into my laptop through firewire.
It also has an XLR mic input, with a mackie pre-amp, so I got one of these to go with it.

Shure SM-57.
Going to use this setup to record some guitar and vocals.

Got the mixer for $650 canadian, and the mic for $75.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
That is a disgustingly nice looking first bass.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mr. The Jeffers posted:

First bass:

It's a 2001 G&L L-2500. I'm quite excited.

Oh poo poo, and it's even a USA model. That's an outstanding bass.

I really wanted to do the single-coil mod to mine, but ended up having to get rid of it before hand.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

acousticbandit posted:

One of these(not this exact one but it looks the same) is on its way to me:hfive:

70s Epiphone Crestwood. I'm pretty excited.

Niiiice! I love those series of instruments. I've wanted a vintage Epiphone Coronet with batwing headstock for years, but they're so drat expensive. I hear Epiphone/Gibson will be reissuing some, though, and that might be worth it.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
That thing looks like the bizarre union of a telecaster and a PRS.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I just won this on ebay! My first bass! It was only like $160 after $45 shipping, but I'm very excited because I've been dying to play more bass anyway!

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Niiiice! I love those series of instruments. I've wanted a vintage Epiphone Coronet with batwing headstock for years, but they're so drat expensive. I hear Epiphone/Gibson will be reissuing some, though, and that might be worth it.

You heard right! Well, it's a Wilshire, but for $270, who wants to split hairs?

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Another fun update!

I got a Moses Graphite Neck for my Kramer. Now the only thing I need is the bridge, which is currently on Back Order. This neck feels so good, I can't wait to be able to play this guitar, the balance point is in the body, which is an excellent perk. I did a mock build with all the parts I have now, and I'm really satisfied with how clean this will look.

But! Seeing as how today is my birthday, I got a few gifts.

A Fulltone OCD drive (Yay!), and...

A Warwick Corvette Std Fretless.

Holy crap, this thing was so unexpected. I've been looking at another bass for awhile, and a red Corvette Standard Ash had my eye. All the parties involved thought that this was the best option, and I'm inclined to agree. I have absolutely no experience with a fretless, but I love the sounds I can create with this bass.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

It's a Cad M9. Large Diaphragm condenser. Powered by a 12ax7. Got it for a great price in ZZsounds as it was one of their blemish items. hopefully it's not hosed up.

love the road case. this is a MAJOR step up for me. sucks i just completed my RPM Challenge album. I'm probably going to want to go back and rerecord everything.

logistik
Sep 11, 2001

I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!
New Amp

Peavey Classic 20 I stumbled apon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guitar center currently has a 6 week lead time/back order on Blackstar HT-5H's :argh:

Place your order now, price is bound to go up once blackstar realizes the economy's not THAT bad. I'm guessing they reprice this at $450 by July.

Also picked up a phaser and dean markley pedal tuner for less than what the tuner retails for normally. The tuner doesn't track very fast - I think I like my $15 Korg CA-15 better - but it gets the job done. Next up is a Holy Stain (and some 6" patch cables!) and then I can start branching out into wacky stuff.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

Next up is a Holy Stain (and some 6" patch cables!) and then I can start branching out into wacky stuff.

I hope you're getting the stain for the fuzz because it's really hard to get a good sound from it with any of the other effects.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Dzus posted:

Another fun update!

I got a Moses Graphite Neck for my Kramer. Now the only thing I need is the bridge, which is currently on Back Order. This neck feels so good, I can't wait to be able to play this guitar, the balance point is in the body, which is an excellent perk. I did a mock build with all the parts I have now, and I'm really satisfied with how clean this will look.

That is holy-poo poo cool, I want a graphite neck way more than an aluminum after giving it some thought. I'm sending Moses an email now.

Hadlock posted:

Next up is a Holy Stain (and some 6" patch cables!) and then I can start branching out into wacky stuff.

I'd probably be willing to sell my Holy Stain if you're interested in one. I've got too many pedals and I need to finance an EHX Voice Box. I love it into my champ, it's a great self-contained pedal if you're looking for something that will accomplish a handful of sonic goals in one without sounding fake while doing it. The reverbs on it and the tremolo setting are quite useful, and while some people dislike the pitch shifter/harmonizer I found it to be a fun if not particularly useful effect. I love its Fuzz mode on the OD side of things.

Don't get this pedal if you're thinking that it will be providing you with your effects alone, because the dirt section is hardwired in and can't be bypassed, and even on the Clean setting there's a hint of grit which (along with the tone stack) will color your tone to the point that you probably won't find it super useful as a standalone effects unit. Only get it if you're after the Holy Stain experience in itself. That's sort of what it's for.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 27, 2009

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Agreed posted:

willing to sell my Holy Stain ...

Don't get this pedal if you're thinking that it will be providing you with your effects alone, because the dirt section is hardwired in and can't be bypassed, and even on the Clean setting there's a hint of grit which (along with the tone stack) will color your tone to the point that you probably won't find it super useful as a standalone effects unit. Only get it if you're after the Holy Stain experience in itself. That's sort of what it's for.

By chance have you taken the bottom cover off and looked at the circuit board? I can't find any pics online of it. I was thinking about creating a footswitch-esque switch (I know that's not how mine would work but its an example) to allow me to switch on and off the fuzz and DSP independently of one another. Someone on the interwebs recommended simply adding an "off" switch from the fuzz unit to the mix knob. I have a couple ideas on how to get two separate pedals out of it....

How much do you want for the pedal? Glancing at ebay they're going for $68-75 used which after shipping is about what a new one costs (and includes the original EHX power supply). I'm trolling for one locally on craigslist but no luck. But if you want to cut me a deal I can paypal you the $$$ today :)

Saffron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh.
This thread needs more METAL.

:holy:

High Pockets
Apr 19, 2007

logistik posted:

New Amp
(classic 20)
Peavey Classic 20 I stumbled apon.

Nice one! these are great amps, just traded my 20 in for a 50 now all the dogs in my street are bald.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

High Pockets posted:

You are a goddamn daredevil to rest your guitar like that.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

You are a goddamn daredevil to rest your guitar like that.

Especially a Gibson whose headstocks break off more often than every other brand of guitar combined. :ohdear:

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Installed and setup a Bigsby B-5 on my Partscaster

It was a bitch to install and setup and it's still not 100% yet. I had to shim the neck and switch to 9's to get it to intonate properly and for the bridge to stop rattling. Now the only problem is that the low E string sits on the set screw rather than the saddle grooves. It stays in tune and intonates properly though so I am not too worried about it. I may take it to my pro tech just to look at though if it gives me any problems.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Are you sure that's the appropriate spacing for that guitar? It looks like it's meant for a guitar with wider spacing at the bridge...

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

ZoCrowes posted:

Installed and setup a Bigsby B-5 on my Partscaster

Slack your low E and just move the string over a few notches on the saddle. Actually do it with all your strings so they line up on the polepieces of your bridge pickup. Just use a pencil to get a little graphite dust in whatever groove each string ends up in to keep it from binding. The strings should stay in the groove you put them in unless you totally dump the tremolo or something- not usually possible to go that low with a Bigsby though. Also make sure the tension roller is as smooth as you can get it. If it's clunky and doesn't roll smoothly you might want to deburr it with a file, and be sure to use a little graphite lube on that too. Tension rollers can keep a Bigsby from ever staying in tune if they're prone to binding.

That thing is a total sex machine though. Nice job. I think my next axe will be a home built strat/tele thanks to you.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 27, 2009

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

warwick5s posted:

Are you sure that's the appropriate spacing for that guitar? It looks like it's meant for a guitar with wider spacing at the bridge...

It's a Bigsby B-5 for a Telecaster style guitar. I'm still getting all the kinks worked out but right now it's a pleasure to play. Once I do finally get everything at 100% I doubt I will play anything else because it's a loving tone monster.

quote:

Slack your low E and just move the string over a few notches on the saddle. Actually do it with all your strings so they line up on the polepieces of your bridge pickup. Just use a pencil to get a little graphite dust in whatever groove each string ends up in to keep it from binding. The strings should stay in the groove you put them in unless you totally dump the tremolo or something- not usually possible to go that low with a Bigsby though. Also make sure the tension roller is as smooth as you can get it. If it's clunky and doesn't roll smoothly you might want to deburr it with a file, and be sure to use a little graphite lube on that too. Tension rollers can keep a Bigsby from ever staying in tune if they're prone to binding.

That thing is a total sex machine though. Nice job. I think my next axe will be a home built strat/tele thanks to you.
I just gave this a shot and I actually got it lined up properly now. The neck pickup is still a tad bit off because it's not F spaced but I can live with that.
I really dig the Bigsby but it has truly been a pain in the rear end to install and I doubt I will do it again.

Thanks I've been really pleased with this one. A friend of mine likes it so much that he sold his Fender Japanese Thinline Tele to fund a build that I am going to help him with. He's going black body, maple neck, ash tray bridge and a real Gibson P90 in the neck position rather than the humbucker sized model live I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

High Pockets posted:

Nice one! these are great amps, just traded my 20 in for a 50 now all the dogs in my street are bald.

That's a motherfucking nice setup, though Pocket Pod into a nice tube amp? Really?

Speaking of which, I'd like to buy a tube amp (seeing as I can't get a decent PA) to use with a PodXT live. Would a Classic 20 or 30 be perfect? I'm looking for 12", small and light. I'm not really worried for ultra volumes as I prefer plugging my pod into the PA but I'd like a replacement to my Flextone III for rehearsals and small alternative/indie gigs.