Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nutsngum posted:

Care to elaborate a bit on this?

The raping children is Roman Polanski not sure about the other one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Recently watched The Right Stuff for the first time since I was a kid.

Am I imagining things, or is the movie pretty much saying that all the initial astronauts sucked and that Chuck Yeager was way better than any of them?

A couple scenes definitely felt that way. The scenes comparing monkeys and astronauts etc. It brings up the question as to whether or not astronauts really had much control of their spacecrafts. On the whole I wouldn't say it was being that denigrating towards them. They did pass rigorous mental and physical thresholds that the average person would fail.

It's so dense that it can be viewed from many more angles than your average film IMO.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

bobkatt013 posted:

The raping children is Roman Polanski not sure about the other one

I was exaggerating but besides Polanski there are a few others mentioned as being into "too-young" girls. Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, for those who haven't read it, is a collection of interviews with prominent people from the 1970s New Hollywood filmmaking scene and it's mostly catty bitching and gossipy anecdotes - oh Marty did all this coke and Bob Altman was loving around behind his wife's back and Bogdanovich couldn't keep his hands off the prepubescents etc. It was written in the early 90s so it has this sort of "kill the kings" fervor, plus the author occasionally dismisses films that have come to be classics which is kind of amusing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was exaggerating but besides Polanski there are a few others mentioned as being into "too-young" girls. Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, for those who haven't read it, is a collection of interviews with prominent people from the 1970s New Hollywood filmmaking scene and it's mostly catty bitching and gossipy anecdotes - oh Marty did all this coke and Bob Altman was loving around behind his wife's back and Bogdanovich couldn't keep his hands off the prepubescents etc. It was written in the early 90s so it has this sort of "kill the kings" fervor, plus the author occasionally dismisses films that have come to be classics which is kind of amusing.

I thought it was well known that Marty was a huge cokehead for a long time?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm not saying it's not, just that that's the kind of thing the book is packed full of.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Its a pretty entertaining read, seems to spend a lot of time with Friedkin too so thats nice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching Immortals and one thing that always bugs me. At the end, Zeus, Athena, Posiden and some jobber gods show up to fight the newly released Titans. The first thing Zeus does it throw Ares's hammer and it sticks in the wall in an odd way.

It looks like he's going to resurrect Ares for the final battle, but its just there. It's like the writers intended to do something with it, but just forgot.

The discussion about child actors from earlier. in the early 2000s, it seemed every kid in a movie served no purpose other than to cause trouble for the main characters, or just annoy and distract the main plot. Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds or the son in Unbreakable for example. But recently, everytime I see a young actor, they've been really, really good. I know its not movies, but every single kid in Game of Thrones is just knocking it out of the park. There are others, but the current crop of child actors seems to actually try to act, rather than just be kid in a movie.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 2, 2012

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm watching Immortals and one thing that always bugs me. At the end, Zeus, Athena, Posiden and some jobber gods show up to fight the newly released Titans. The first thing Zeus does it throw Ares's hammer and it sticks in the wall in an odd way.

It looks like he's going to resurrect Ares for the final battle, but its just there. It's like the writers intended to do something with it, but just forgot.

He's using the hammer to embed the bow into stone again.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I thought Immortals was pretty decent but I do wish they would have told us who the gods were. I am woefully ignorant of Greek mythology.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

twistedmentat posted:

The discussion about child actors from earlier. in the early 2000s, it seemed every kid in a movie served no purpose other than to cause trouble for the main characters, or just annoy and distract the main plot. Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds or the son in Unbreakable for example. But recently, everytime I see a young actor, they've been really, really good. I know its not movies, but every single kid in Game of Thrones is just knocking it out of the park. There are others, but the current crop of child actors seems to actually try to act, rather than just be kid in a movie.
I have to say, those are terrible examples if you're trying to illustrate kid characters that "just annoy and distract the main plot". What is War of the Worlds about if not Cruise's whole Deadbeat Dad character arc? Unbreakable too (though not as much), I can't really fathom how that movie could work without Willis's son defining how he deals with his "power".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shanty posted:

I have to say, those are terrible examples if you're trying to illustrate kid characters that "just annoy and distract the main plot". What is War of the Worlds about if not Cruise's whole Deadbeat Dad character arc? Unbreakable too (though not as much), I can't really fathom how that movie could work without Willis's son defining how he deals with his "power".

The first bit of the alien invasion is constantly interrupted by some problem that his daughter has and they have to solve before they can escape the aliens. We need to get out of New York but first we have to solver her claustrophobia! The son in Unbreakable was just super clingly, every scene has him just wanting to be with his dad 24/7. Even when Willis wants to be alone his son is "oh I'll join you!". Though both stop doing that in later acts of the film, like when the son gets the gun.

Maybe they're bad examples, but they annoyed the hell out of me and distracted me from the plot. I'm probably not articulating myself well here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

twistedmentat posted:

The first bit of the alien invasion is constantly interrupted by some problem that his daughter has and they have to solve before they can escape the aliens. We need to get out of New York but first we have to solver her claustrophobia! The son in Unbreakable was just super clingly, every scene has him just wanting to be with his dad 24/7. Even when Willis wants to be alone his son is "oh I'll join you!". Though both stop doing that in later acts of the film, like when the son gets the gun.

Maybe they're bad examples, but they annoyed the hell out of me and distracted me from the plot. I'm probably not articulating myself well here.

I'd recommend you don't have kids.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

twistedmentat posted:

I understand what you are getting at. Hell, I have kids and those kinds of movie characters bug me.

I also get annoyed at poo poo like the girl in Titanic getting off the lifeboat at the last second, denying that space to someone who wanted to survive. Or the end of Deep Impact when Elijah Wood gets off the rescue bus just before it gets to safety in the mountains, again denying a seat to someone who wanted to survive.

Or when people make random promises in movies, like "I promise to find the killer" or "I promise to never leave you behind".

I guess this stuff probably belongs in the Random Things That Bug You About Movies thread, sorry!

But back to child actors, I think the best use of a child actor in a recent film for me was The Mist. The kid was there, but unobtrusive. He was integral to the plot, but his dad didn't drag him into the dangerous stuff (until the very end) and obviously he was a huge part of how hosed up the ending was!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The problem is that you view things that happen "constantly" and in "every scene" as distracting from the plot, rather than being a core part of the plot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

The problem is that you view things that happen "constantly" and in "every scene" as distracting from the plot, rather than being a core part of the plot.

Yeah this is especially true of War of the Worlds. Would you rather the movie just be Tom Cruise, by himself, hiding in holes for two hours? Because that's what the plot would be if not for his two kids.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think my favorite part in War of the Worlds is that Tom Cruise is such a lovely, phony dad that his teen son (who, lets face it, needs to rebel against his dad even if the world is ending) runs over the hill to an almost certain death just to get away from him.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Tender Bender posted:

I feel like this happens a lot, especially around CD/TVIV. It's not uncommon for people to whine that a scene focused on a specific character is wasted time, or to demand that a character or plot point be "justified".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

User-Friendly posted:

I feel like this happens a lot, especially around CD/TVIV. It's not uncommon for people to whine that a scene focused on a specific character is wasted time, or to demand that a character or plot point be "justified".

I think this is a big part of what people love Christopher Nolan - the characters have no interior lives or any kind of freedom from the plot. Everything they do is justified by the plot and if they happen to do anything else, Nolan doesn't really give a poo poo so he doesn't show it to you. It's also why something like Breaking Bad is fun to talk about because it's full of characters motivating the plot because they want things their way.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think this is a big part of what people love Christopher Nolan - the characters have no interior lives or any kind of freedom from the plot. Everything they do is justified by the plot and if they happen to do anything else, Nolan doesn't really give a poo poo so he doesn't show it to you. It's also why something like Breaking Bad is fun to talk about because it's full of characters motivating the plot because they want things their way.

Breaking Bad was the exact show I was thinking about, actually. People are always clamoring for scenes with Marie to end, or that her character eventually be "retroactively justified" by some event in the future, as though in a show about how one man's actions affects himself and those around him, the actions of those around him are in the way of the plot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, the modern TV serial drama is a great big two headed beast - on the one hand you can decompress and stretch melodrama into the most rich, overstuffed, convuluted plots you can dream up, but on the other, you have as much time as you need to let your characters breathe.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Breaking Bad is also very Nolan-like in that it visibly strains to be meaningful: the season two finale is so bad that it's pretty much equal to The Ferries.

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

Handsome Dead posted:

Breaking Bad is also very Nolan-like in that it visibly strains to be meaningful: the season two finale is so bad that it's pretty much equal to The Ferries.

I read this, got upset that you were criticizing a show I really enjoy, started thinking about a counterargument, and then realized that you're completely right about that episode. The whole thing was mystifying and sloppy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I admit to being fairly hyperbolic, and I'll also admit to not seeing Unbreakable since it was in the theater so I'm probably mis remembering how many times Willis wants to go deal with his new powers but the kid is just wrapped around his leg going "i'm here dad!!!". At least they have him act annoyed at it a couple of times. Though I recently saw war of the worlds, and the daughter really feels like the writer gave her a bunch of problems because they felt that they made her a rounded character. Ooh she's allergic to peanuts and they have to calm her down before they can escape the giant alien death machines that are turning everyone into dust.

I still don't think I'm explaining why she bothered me so much, maybe because I hate when they give a character some kind of problem in a of contrived "we're all different" lesson.

And yes, I would have rather seen 2 hours of Tom Cruise hiding because that's what the classic story is. It's a guy who wanders around England during an Martian invasion and observes our futile attempts to stop them with all our technology. But then at the end he wonders alone among the ruins of the Martians where they have been laid low by microbes.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

twistedmentat posted:

I admit to being fairly hyperbolic, and I'll also admit to not seeing Unbreakable since it was in the theater so I'm probably mis remembering how many times Willis wants to go deal with his new powers but the kid is just wrapped around his leg going "i'm here dad!!!". At least they have him act annoyed at it a couple of times. Though I recently saw war of the worlds, and the daughter really feels like the writer gave her a bunch of problems because they felt that they made her a rounded character. Ooh she's allergic to peanuts and they have to calm her down before they can escape the giant alien death machines that are turning everyone into dust.

Those two examples were there to built Cruise as a lovely unattentive father.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

twistedmentat posted:

I still don't think I'm explaining why she bothered me so much, maybe because I hate when they give a character some kind of problem in a of contrived "we're all different" lesson.

And yes, I would have rather seen 2 hours of Tom Cruise hiding because that's what the classic story is. It's a guy who wanders around England during an Martian invasion and observes our futile attempts to stop them with all our technology. But then at the end he wonders alone among the ruins of the Martians where they have been laid low by microbes.

I'd think any kid would need calming down "before they can escape the giant alien death machines that are turning everyone into dust"! I'd be offended if there wasn't at least a nod towards the stressful nature of the situation! And the peanut allergy could have been anything, she could have been afraid of clowns or some goddamn thing, anything that shows that Cruise doesn't have a loving clue about his own daughter. Any child will have something you need to be aware of as a parent, and that just happened to be her thing. It doesn't strike me as at all contrived that the moment Deadbeat Dad has to take any kind of responsibility, he fucks up on something real basic like that. It's perfect!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, you guys are 100% right and I am completely looking at it the wrong way. Seriously, this isn't sarcastic and I never thought about it in the way of Tom Cruise is such a lovely dad that he doesn't know his daughter has some serious problems that would be basic for any parent to know about.

About child actors, there are movies where they are exposed to violence, swearing, sex, nudity, all the good stuff, but are they actually? Like do the ADR fucks and shits into the dialog after its shot?

I know in some cases the kids are not actually kids, but older kids who look young, or little people. I remember there was a bunch of people making a stink about the Tin Drum about the lead feeling up nude actresses and seeing sex, but the producers of the film saying that he's not a kid, he's just a little person. Uh, is that the correct term?

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I remember Chloe Moretz saying that they needed her parents' clearance before she could do Kick-rear end.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Christopher Mintz-Plasse had to have his mother on set while the Superbad production filmed his sex scene.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Glass Joe posted:

Christopher Mintz-Plasse had to have his mother on set while the Superbad production filmed his sex scene.

Even if she didn't have to be that'd be a great idea for ensuring your actors are as awkward as gently caress during your awkward sex scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

You know, you guys are 100% right and I am completely looking at it the wrong way. Seriously, this isn't sarcastic and I never thought about it in the way of Tom Cruise is such a lovely dad that he doesn't know his daughter has some serious problems that would be basic for any parent to know about.

About child actors, there are movies where they are exposed to violence, swearing, sex, nudity, all the good stuff, but are they actually? Like do the ADR fucks and shits into the dialog after its shot?

I know in some cases the kids are not actually kids, but older kids who look young, or little people. I remember there was a bunch of people making a stink about the Tin Drum about the lead feeling up nude actresses and seeing sex, but the producers of the film saying that he's not a kid, he's just a little person. Uh, is that the correct term?

In American Beauty when Thora Birch showed her tits her parents had to be on set. Funny enough her parents both were in Deep Throat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

I think it varies from movie to movie, The opening of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss could likely never be shot as is today, (it gets extra creepy when you realize the kid is Mario Van Peebles and his dad is directing it). Taxi Driver has some issues too with using Jodie Foster at age 13,

Wikipedia posted:

Some critics expressed concern over 13-year-old Jodie Foster's presence during the climactic shoot-out. However, Foster stated that she was present during the setup and staging of the special effects used during the scene; the entire process was explained and demonstrated for her, step by step. Rather than being upset or traumatized, Foster said, she was fascinated and entertained by the behind-the-scenes preparation that went into the scene. In addition, before being given the part, Foster was subjected to psychological testing to ensure that she would not be emotionally scarred by her role, in accordance with California Labor Board requirements.

In A History of Violence the movie opens with a gun pressed to a kids head and then they cut away with a gunshot sound, the special features show the actor playing the killer talking with the kid, showing him (her? I can't remember, the kid was young enough that it's hard to tell) the gun and explaining that it's not a real gun.

Mysterious Skin, when you watch the scenes with the pedophile coach and small children, it's cut in such a way that the child actors were likely not even in the room for the creepy parts.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
And sometimes poo poo just happens on set. My kid is a TV/film extra, and I have heard so many stories about kids who were on set and suddenly the producers decide for a chick to take her top off or an actor ad-libs a bunch of f-bombs. They are supposed to get permission from the parents, clearance with the agency, etc. But they rarely do, since this stuff happens on the fly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

And sometimes poo poo just happens on set. My kid is a TV/film extra, and I have heard so many stories about kids who were on set and suddenly the producers decide for a chick to take her top off or an actor ad-libs a bunch of f-bombs. They are supposed to get permission from the parents, clearance with the agency, etc. But they rarely do, since this stuff happens on the fly.

Or they can be huge assholes and think lets film the helicopter stunt at night and lets pay the kids under the table so you do not have to follow child labor laws!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobkatt013 posted:

In American Beauty when Thora Birch showed her tits her parents had to be on set. Funny enough her parents both were in Deep Throat.

Also her dad basically ruined her career because he is a creepy little poo poo.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

twistedmentat posted:

Well, he is a pretty small dude, but he was also only 11 when it was made.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

There are some hosed up things in Happiness surrounding kids. I know that some pretty twisted dialogues for that film were shot so that the kids said the lines that were needed for the plot that's in the film, but they were given the lines in an entirely different context and thusly didn't really grasp how crazy the stuff was.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also her dad basically ruined her career because he is a creepy little poo poo.

what's this now

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Riptor posted:

what's this now

He's a
really
REALLY
creepy
guy.

You can dismiss one or two of these stories. But it consistently comes up, and it's not like she's a teenager anymore.

quote:

At another point during Thursday’s rehearsal, Mr. Alexander said he noticed Mr. Birch peering through a window that was part of a library set while a scene with Ms. Birch was underway.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes and turned to a crew member and said, ‘Is that Jack Birch looking through the window at Thora?’ ”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 4, 2012

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I disagree about the Season 2 ending of Breaking Bad. It's an idea taken to its extreme, but it's thematically in tune with what the whole show is about : Consequences. The original idea of Jesse dying in Season 1 (Thankfully ditched on like the first day of shooting) was that same thing. Walt's actions, no matter what they are, always have consequences. Some hit him directly, some don't.

As for Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, it suffers greatly because it's one big long anecdote from someone, with the response usually of "I don't remember that.". The story about Spielberg getting the idea for the mothership in Close Encounters by doing headstands on his Car overlooking LA after smoking pot is a great story, but a complete fabrication.

There's a few stories that seem on the level, but there's a whole lot of just people talking poo poo about others. His book about Miramax etc is the same, though the big takeaway from that is that if Harvey Weinstein likes you then he's great to work for, if he doesn't then he's an odious oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

quote:

Her dad, who "looks like Charles Manson" in a "full-length leather coat and wraparound sunglasses, even at night" - was described in a review of his "Road of Death" (1973) as "a muscle-stud . . . so unphotogenic you can't take your eyes off him."

I'm dying over here.