Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
A lot of it is the same kind of NIMBYism that goes on over nuclear power plants. I'm not against this clean power source, but don't put it where I can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They are putting up a single turbine right near where I live (in Boston). I haven't seen anyone complain, but I suspect thats because its going up amid some abandoned trainyards and derelict industrial parks. Better a turbine than a crumbling smokestack.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

A friend of mine posted this

along with "I understand the point trying to be made but you seriously DON'T want a 200 foot wind turbine in your backyard or neighborhood."

I really don't get this mindset. Nuclear Power I'd be ok with myself but I could understand some of the hesitations people have with it. Wind turbines though, really? It's that big of a deal you'd rather resort to fossil fuels?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

People are selfish and won't sacrifice the smallest convenience, film at 11.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Wind turbines make you sick?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Ashcans posted:

They are putting up a single turbine right near where I live (in Boston). I haven't seen anyone complain, but I suspect thats because its going up amid some abandoned trainyards and derelict industrial parks. Better a turbine than a crumbling smokestack.

There's a big stink that was made about putting turbines up in Nantucket Sound that's been going on since 2001, we have plenty of our own NIMBY advocates in the US. http://www.saveoursound.org/

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

XyloJW posted:

Wind turbines make you sick?

Apparently they make you sick, kill every bird in a hundred mile radius, and actually produce zero energy and are a hoax or something.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

NatasDog posted:

There's a big stink that was made about putting turbines up in Nantucket Sound that's been going on since 2001, we have plenty of our own NIMBY advocates in the US. http://www.saveoursound.org/

Oh, I know there are tons of people who object to this stuff in the US in general, I just thought it was interesting that one was going up in a densely populated area and the only thing I could find about it was in the local-local news acknowledging its existence. Apparently the solution to NIMBY is to let what exists crumble to the point that people are happy to have anything built at all.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Got this response when I asked why he was against them.

"We almost had one go up in our neighborhood. There's a lot of effects they have on people, not to mention of you live in the shadow it would be really annoying, on top of the loud high pitched noise. Put them on the water lol"

At least he's not saying never build them at all but still.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

NatasDog posted:

Edit:
This one probably helps illustrate your point better

Haha fun note on this - I shared this graph and the one with the ideal/estimated/actual wealth distribution survey that gets posted here a lot.

The response was, "LOL the thing is your graphs don't show concrete evidence... They are outdated and contain 'If' and 'Ideal'. Who is to say what the "Ideal" distribtuion of wealth is?"

Dear oh dear.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

NatasDog posted:

It appears there's a happy ending to my story after all. I woke up this morning to this:

For reference, she's mexican :ese: and recently received her citizenship after marrying my cousin.

I ended up doing a mish mash of Sarion's and other suggestions along with my own feelings as a reply.

I guess that means I win :unsmith:

A little late, since the conversation has moved on to alternative energy now. But just wanted to say this is absolutely fantastic.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've always thought that the wind turbines outside Seattle look really awesome. I guess I'm one of the weird ones.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NatasDog posted:

I guess that means I win :unsmith:

No, it means you both won.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Wise Teen posted:

Haha fun note on this - I shared this graph and the one with the ideal/estimated/actual wealth distribution survey that gets posted here a lot.

The response was, "LOL the thing is your graphs don't show concrete evidence... They are outdated and contain 'If' and 'Ideal'. Who is to say what the "Ideal" distribtuion of wealth is?"

Dear oh dear.

The response is that chart showing the ideal wealth distribution according to a bunch of people, along with what they think it is now and what it actually is.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Dominion posted:

The response is that chart showing the ideal wealth distribution according to a bunch of people, along with what they think it is now and what it actually is.

I think that's the chart he already showed them :saddowns:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sarion posted:

I think that's the chart he already showed them :saddowns:

Oh, yeah, I totally cannot read, it is. Welp :suicide:

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Corbet posted:

I've always thought that the wind turbines outside Seattle look really awesome. I guess I'm one of the weird ones.

You mean the ones east of the Cascades along I-90? That'd be the Wild Horse Wind Farm.

Wind power in the PNW is even more awesome because of our hydro resources. In other areas of the country you usually need a fossil plant to take up the slack when the wind isn't blowing. We can just ramp the dams up instead.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So my friend just posted this on her facebook:

With the caption:

"So true. FLAT TAX NOW!"

I think my brain exploded.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mango sentinel posted:

With the caption:

"So true. FLAT TAX NOW!"

Flat Tax sounds "fair" because it means everyone is equal (by percentage), but obviously ignores the fact that the poorer you are the larger the percentage of your income you spend in the first place. It sounds like her heart is in the right place, so maybe spell that out for her.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A flat tax that included capital gains could (in some ways) be more progressive than the current system.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah, you should really clarify what a flat tax is ASAP. This is a case where someone can realistically be swayed to reason since it seems she's almost there.

Haxin Jackson
Apr 3, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

With the caption:

"So true. FLAT TAX NOW!"

I prefer to think of it as unintentionally correct. You just have to interpret it the right way. The quote becomes:

"I agree, class warfare exists. Arm the Flat Tax Cannon and don't stop firing until THE STREETS RUN RED WITH THEIR IMPOVERISHED BLOOD!"

Now it makes sense.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Funny how the concept of class warfare becomes negative to them if the proles don't just bend over and take it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

TerminalSaint posted:

Funny how the concept of class warfare becomes negative to them if the proles don't just bend over and take it.

It's not warfare if the targets are unable to fight back.

If they ever institute a flat tax, they'll just complain that the rich pay more in absolute terms than the poor.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

It's not warfare if the targets are unable to fight back.

If they ever institute a flat tax, they'll just complain that the rich pay more in absolute terms than the poor.

That's easy to fix new definition of flat tax: everyone pays the same amount. There's roughly 200M people over 18 in the US; everyone gets a bill from the government for $1000 a month, which works out to $2.4T a year total. That increases revenues, and let's us get rid of all other federal taxes and tax deductions, credits, etc. And if you don't pay up, we put you in jail.

US fiscal crisis averted, everything is fair. You can thank me later.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Copy that to your facebook status, falsely attribute it to a nobel-winning Great Person, add something about forwarding if you love america and see how fast it goes.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Working for extended periods near wind turbines is maddening after a while.

It's one of those things that slowly creeps up on you after a while, once you notice it becomes like a constant hum that resonates through you. When the maternity leave I was covering at that site was over I was overcome with relief.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Me and my friends love riling up this crazy Paulite we went to high school with on Facebook. In the past he's had some truly golden things to say.

I wish I could find the exact quote but one time he compared how 3D televisions didn't cost much more than regular HDTVs and that the healthcare industry would be similar in affordability if there wasn't so much regulation??

Anyways, one of my friends latest comments led to this gem which made my pet bald eagle shed a single tear.

quote:

And now I've lost all respect for the lot of you. You should all be ashamed of your willful ignorance. I'm going to be laughing my rear end off when the dollar collapse and you're all in bread lines while I'm sitting pretty on my gold and silver. (I won't really be laughing at you, I'm gunna feel really terrible for you all.) We have seats on the titanic gentlemen and only those with real money have life rafts.

Also, this very same gentleman, so invested in the Ron Paul 2012 campaign also has a standing $2000 bet with someone that the world is going to end in 2012.

edit: HAHAHAHAHAHA. HERE IT IS.

quote:

the first 3D home television sets go on sale today, at only a fraction of the cost more than a standard high definition setup. if only we let healthcare operate in the same type of free market environment. Prices would fall and quality would rise as health insurance companies and doctors competed for your business.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 30, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I wish we had virtual reality like in bad 90s movies so people like that could live in their ideal world for a few days.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A Facebook friend's status: 25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope, now we have Obama, no cash and no hope...

17 likes. Kansas :negative:

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

andrew smash posted:

Copy that to your facebook status, falsely attribute it to a nobel-winning Great Person, add something about forwarding if you love america and see how fast it goes.

Actually, I've thought about this very thing. If I did it, I wonder how long before someone else here saw their friends copy it over. I mean, the idea seems so crazy to me that I'd assume that no one would pass it on. And yet, I have a feeling that it would get passed along.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

rscott posted:

A Facebook friend's status: 25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope, now we have Obama, no cash and no hope...

17 likes. Kansas :negative:

You should point out that both Cash and Hope died in the previous administration.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

You should point out that both Cash and Hope died in the previous administration.

Reagan did too.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I just commented: "Reagan would be to liberal to be nominated to run for president these days. As a Democrat."

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Sarion posted:

Actually, I've thought about this very thing. If I did it, I wonder how long before someone else here saw their friends copy it over. I mean, the idea seems so crazy to me that I'd assume that no one would pass it on. And yet, I have a feeling that it would get passed along.

I think the $1000/month thing sounds a little too unreasonable. Assuming your rabid fw fw fw friends are anything like mine, they couldn't afford it either.

Drop it down to something "reasonable" like $500 or $250, and then make a comment about "starving the beast" i.e. shrinking government by lowering revenues.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

quote:

the first 3D home television sets go on sale today, at only a fraction of the cost more than a standard high definition setup. if only we let healthcare operate in the same type of free market environment. Prices would fall and quality would rise as health insurance companies and doctors competed for your business.

How can someone be so dense as to think HDTV/3DTV = Healthcare. Most analogies, even "good" ones are total poo poo, but that one really takes the cake. It's like not even Econ 101, that's like a remedial High School social studies class understanding of economics. The demand for healthcare does not change significantly with price, they could charge 50% more for most procedures and medications and the demand wouldn't really change. Do the same with HDTVs and demand will plummet. What's more, the limiting factor is the supply of healthcare. There aren't enough providers to meet the current demand for care as it is, so even if price did matter, there's no incentive to compete because there are more customers than they can manage already. This is especially true within certain specialties. In our area, many Child Psychiatrists won't even take insurance because there is such a high demand and low supply that they can keep their schedules completely booked with people willing to pay 100% that there's no reason for them to put up with the hassle of insurance claims.

Also, there are government regulations on HDTVs and 3DTVs, shhh!

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

JerkyBunion posted:

I think the $1000/month thing sounds a little too unreasonable. Assuming your rabid fw fw fw friends are anything like mine, they couldn't afford it either.

Drop it down to something "reasonable" like $500 or $250, and then make a comment about "starving the beast" i.e. shrinking government by lowering revenues.

Yeah, though most people pushing a flat tax fail to realize that they'd actually end up paying more in such a scenario. It's just not as obvious because it's just this 10% tax, and that sounds lower than what they pay now, but it is actually higher than their effective tax rate. It's harder to hide the true cost though when dealing with a fixed amount.

Also, would it be too obvious if I attributed the idea to Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Sarion posted:

Also, would it be too obvious if I attributed the idea to Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman?

Krugman is too easily identified as a liberal.

Do Thomas Friedman.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
Why even push for a flat tax? Why is the average person against progressive taxation? I guess a lot of people still believe that whole "if I make a dollar more, I will be pushed into a higher bracket" nonsense?

My dad is a conservative that is all about low taxes, but I asked him why capital gains should be taxed at 15% rather than money that is actually "worked" for, and it did some good. I saw the wheels turning, and he finally agreed that they should be taxed as regular income. Yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Thenipwax posted:

Why even push for a flat tax? Why is the average person against progressive taxation? I guess a lot of people still believe that whole "if I make a dollar more, I will be pushed into a higher bracket" nonsense?

My dad is a conservative that is all about low taxes, but I asked him why capital gains should be taxed at 15% rather than money that is actually "worked" for, and it did some good. I saw the wheels turning, and he finally agreed that they should be taxed as regular income. Yay?

lol people don't think that critically.

They just think, "Hay, it sounds more fair if everyone just pays 10% of their income. Why should I have to pay 14% when they only pay 9%."